Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Marvel's Avengers Looks...Good?

13»

Comments

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,173
    skeaser said:
    It's really good. It's not.. perfect. And I don't just mean because there's a ton of menu bugs that causes crashes and locks characters from being played.  I just mean that some characters kits are very strange, and some things aren't uniform in function from character to character. 

I like it though. I feel like the characters all have their own unique feel even if some characters are clearly better in most situations than others. All the content is alright, but it's repetitive, and so early on too. Hopefully they change it up some. 

This is about how I feel right now. There were some minor bugs but they were small enough that it's not worrying. My biggest problem has been the baddies that are immune to every tactic. Playing as Hulk, I had a hard time with the big bads that you can't knock down, or grab, and they can damage you through your rage mode. That and the hold the point objectives where they throw tons of baddies at you with ranged attacks. Not sure what I'm supposed to do there.
    Not much you can do when you're bombarded by ranged but are stuck in certain areas. On Challange IV missions, you have these crazy enemies that can hit you from across the room and they hit so hard, and fire in arcs, if you don't see it coming it's nearly instant death. 

Lots of people are complaining about how Hulk plays right now, and the devs are basically saying "get good" until enough people complained that now they're responding "thank you for the feedback"

I have a feeling certain characters will get much better later on, and the demo doesn't do each character justice. But it's really just wishful thinking as I have no idea what it's actually like aside from the demo.

As for the remainder of the beta weekends, no real reason to keep going. I log in and play just cause  I want to see if I can get some legendary gear cause I haven't gotten any of that yet and I just want to see what's out there, but no real reason to stick it out since it will all be wiped.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,820
    Maskedweasel just summed up the history of gaming there. From "Get good" to "Thank you for the feed back". It has been an easymode ride. :)
    maskedweasel
  • skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,179
    skeaser said:
    It's really good. It's not.. perfect. And I don't just mean because there's a ton of menu bugs that causes crashes and locks characters from being played.  I just mean that some characters kits are very strange, and some things aren't uniform in function from character to character. 

I like it though. I feel like the characters all have their own unique feel even if some characters are clearly better in most situations than others. All the content is alright, but it's repetitive, and so early on too. Hopefully they change it up some. 

This is about how I feel right now. There were some minor bugs but they were small enough that it's not worrying. My biggest problem has been the baddies that are immune to every tactic. Playing as Hulk, I had a hard time with the big bads that you can't knock down, or grab, and they can damage you through your rage mode. That and the hold the point objectives where they throw tons of baddies at you with ranged attacks. Not sure what I'm supposed to do there.

As for the remainder of the beta weekends, no real reason to keep going. I log in and play just cause  I want to see if I can get some legendary gear cause I haven't gotten any of that yet and I just want to see what's out there, but no real reason to stick it out since it will all be wiped.

Yeah, I got my HARM room rewards for launch, checked out some of the other missions and called it good.
    maskedweasel
    Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,381
    Scot said:
    Maskedweasel just summed up the history of gaming there. From "Get good" to "Thank you for the feed back". It has been an easymode ride. :)
    That's also the ride from 'We made a hundred thousand profit this quarter!' to 'How many millions???'

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

edited August 2020
    Scot said:
    That's also the ride from 'We made a hundred thousand profit this quarter!' to 'How many millions???'
    I think the move to online and marketing strategy like microtransactions and 'games as a service' had as much to do with the profit margin, but I agree.

Though I am not sure I would describe those players as gamers anymore. As the former head of EA said "we want everyone and their mum to be able to play". And they can.
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,820
    edited August 2020
    Rhoklaw said:
    Character customization for a well established IP? What does that even mean? You can change Thor's lightning colors? Not like Thor is going to be shooting webs out of his wrists, so don't really see how customization is going to be a huge thing. Game looks good though, just made me chuckle when one of the main points in the video is customization of already well established characters.
    It's customization within the bounds of what that character can do. IE: you can make Thor a melee tank with the hammer or a ranged dps with lightning.

Scot said:
    Scot said:
    I think the move to online and marketing strategy like microtransactions and 'games as a service' had as much to do with the profit margin, but I agree.

Though I am not sure I would describe those players as gamers anymore. As the former head of EA said "we want everyone and their mum to be able to play". And they can.
    I for one am glad that you don't get to gatekeep who is and is not a gamer.

Gaming is a broad and versatile medium with many different motivations to play. Mine are story, characters, and customization. Difficulty doesn't even rate for me, nor do I think that it needs to.
    Post edited by Aeander on
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,947
    Rhoklaw said:
    Character customization for a well established IP? What does that even mean? You can change Thor's lightning colors? Not like Thor is going to be shooting webs out of his wrists, so don't really see how customization is going to be a huge thing. Game looks good though, just made me chuckle when one of the main points in the video is customization of already well established characters.
    Well as Thor can apparently be a 6'3" 220lb mountain of muscle or a 5'3" 118lb ballerina I guess you can have a lot of customization.   

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

edited August 2020
    According to leaks, 3 future characters might be... 

Kate Bishop
    War Machine
    She Hulk

And I think that really sucks. These would be very samey characters. None of them are interesting. And none of them would really excite me at all. They're all just shit versions of existing heroes. Hopefully, they're just costumes.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
    I like the fantasy worlds, but the super hero worlds were just never my thing.
    Aeander said:

Kate Bishop
    War Machine
    She Hulk

And I think that really sucks. These would be very samey characters. None of them are interesting. And none of them would really excite me at all. They're all just shit versions of existing heroes. Hopefully, they're just costumes.
    I don't think those are going to be characters in the true sense. They are too similar, they'd just be reskins. You could have all them with a costume purchase, which seems far more likely. 

Aeander said:

Kate Bishop
    War Machine
    She Hulk

I don't think those are going to be characters in the true sense. They are too similar, they'd just be reskins. You could have all them with a costume purchase, which seems far more likely. 
    I think that is the case, and it's strange that the idea that these are just costumes isn't being thrown around much in the mainstream discourse.

For the same reasons, I could very easily see Jane Foster Thor being a Thor costume, Spider Gwen and Spider Woman being Spiderman costumes, etc.
    Aeander said:
    Aeander said:

Kate Bishop
    War Machine
    She Hulk

I think that is the case, and it's strange that the idea that these are just costumes isn't being thrown around much in the mainstream discourse.

For the same reasons, I could very easily see Jane Foster Thor being a Thor costume, Spider Gwen and Spider Woman being Spiderman costumes, etc.
    Yeah it would almost be a waste of resources to create all new characters for them. Though it would make sense for them to maybe have different abilities, or like, a base change in their abilities.

MHO had abilities tied to costumes, don't know why they couldn't do it here.

edited August 2020
    Aeander said:
    Rhoklaw said:
    It's customization within the bounds of what that character can do. IE: you can make Thor a melee tank with the hammer or a ranged dps with lightning.

Scot said:
    Scot said:

Gaming is a broad and versatile medium with many different motivations to play. Mine are story, characters, and customization. Difficulty doesn't even rate for me, nor do I think that it needs to.
    I am not trying to gatekeep anything, the case can be made that no one is a gamer anymore as we have so few difficult games to play. At least not gamers in the way we once were.

Story is also very important to me, do you think we have as much as we used to? In solo games I would say so, but the more multiplayer a game is generally the less you get. Newer MMOs hardly bother with lore and setting. Obviously there are exceptions, but the reason I praise Lotro, Swtor, FFXIV, TSW (Legends maybe?) and ESO is there is not a lot of story MMOs around.

Also if you like story here is one for you; how many games, TV series and films have you played/watched over the last few years where people are being oppressed for their magic/powers? Give us a break writers, that is becoming so old!
    Huntrezz
    Scot said:
    Aeander said:
    Rhoklaw said:

Scot said:
    Scot said:

I am not trying to gatekeep anything, the case can be made that no one is a gamer anymore as we have so few difficult games to play. At least not gamers in the way we once were.

Story is also very important to me, do you think we have as much as we used to? In solo games I would say so, but the more multiplayer a game is generally the less you get. Newer MMOs hardly bother with lore and setting. Obviously there are exceptions, but the reason I praise Lotro, Swtor, FFXIV, TSW (Legends maybe?) and ESO is there is not a lot of story MMOs around.

Also if you like story here is one for you; how many games, TV series and films have you played/watched over the last few years where people are being oppressed for their magic/powers? Give us a break writers, that is becoming so old!
    The thing is, there's no shortage of challenging games. We just have difficulty settings now so people can pick their preferences.

Moreover, excessive difficulty in previous years was a bandaid for short, expensive games that could not otherwise deliver value. It wasn't there for the bragging rights.

Anything can be hard, but being hard doesn't make something good. Battletoads was hard. It was also a godawful load of fuck.

Good story in MMOs is rare and I'm not talking about MMOs when I say I want story. I'm talking about compelling singleplayer narratives. Which, contrary to popular belief, have mostly gotten better since the good ol' days. We have our occassional duds - the Andromedas and the Last of Us 2's - but the medium is producing some damn good games.

And as far as mediums go, I prefer games for stories over film/tv, because film/tv still don't pay genre fiction its due respect. There's isn't enough out there like Game of Thrones; and then they ruined Game of Thrones.
    HuntrezzScot
  • WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,361
    exclusive characters sucks period
    edited August 2020
    I will say that I've never seen a game rollercoaster its reputation this quickly.

Over just a week, this went from being regarded as "meh," to "actually, this looks good," to "wtf."

The Spiderman deal is still by far the worst part, but there are other marketing deals involving this game that make it look really tacky. Namely, the Verizon exclusive skins, the Virgin Mobile exclusive skins, Intel skins, and the 5 Gum deal.

None of this is a straight up dealbreaker for me playing the game... but I no longer respect it. The game has whored itself out. Let's hope it didn't catch syphilis.
    Post edited by Aeander on
    Aeander said:
    Scot said:
    Aeander said:
    Rhoklaw said:

Scot said:
    Scot said:

The thing is, there's no shortage of challenging games. We just have difficulty settings now so people can pick their preferences.

Moreover, excessive difficulty in previous years was a bandaid for short, expensive games that could not otherwise deliver value. It wasn't there for the bragging rights.

Anything can be hard, but being hard doesn't make something good. Battletoads was hard. It was also a godawful load of fuck.

Good story in MMOs is rare and I'm not talking about MMOs when I say I want story. I'm talking about compelling singleplayer narratives. Which, contrary to popular belief, have mostly gotten better since the good ol' days. We have our occassional duds - the Andromedas and the Last of Us 2's - but the medium is producing some damn good games.

And as far as mediums go, I prefer games for stories over film/tv, because film/tv still don't pay genre fiction its due respect. There's isn't enough out there like Game of Thrones; and then they ruined Game of Thrones.
    Even normal and hard on game difficulty settings have been watered down so I don't agree with you there. But hard does not guarantee a quality game, you are quite right there.

I actually did not mind Andromeda, though it was certainly weaker; I think the first three series (stretching here it may have been four) GoT were great and reasonably faithful to the books, after that it became a soap.

Has the story got better than the good o'l days? The ways of telling it have got better, I started on text adventures. But I am not sure the stories have got better, one think I mentioned in my last post was the over dependence on easily recognisable strong themes.

edited August 2020
    Arterius said:
    Aeander said:
    I will say that I've never seen a game rollercoaster its reputation this quickly.

Over just a week, this went from being regarded as "meh," to "actually, this looks good," to "wtf."

The Spiderman deal is still by far the worst part, but there are other marketing deals involving this game that make it look really tacky. Namely, the Verizon exclusive skins, the Virgin Mobile exclusive skins, Intel skins, and the 5 Gum deal.

None of this is a straight up dealbreaker for me playing the game... but I no longer respect it. The game has whored itself out. Let's hope it didn't catch syphilis.
    Surprinsingly didn't seem to hurt the game though. Just proves no such thing as bad press and casual gamers just don't care. The PS4 version went from 36th place on Amazon sales to #2 after the spider-man announcement and the last time I checked it was #3

Xbox is sitting at number #30 so it got a boost but not nearly as big as the PS4.

Edit: Last time I check was a day or two after the spider-man announcent after reading a post about it on reddit. Looks like its number #42 now with the Xbox version not even making the list. 
    I don't doubt that. An Avengers game was always going to sell well, and the aggressive "Playstation advantages" have made it the definitive best platform for the game. Anyone on the fence about platform is likely to order it there, and many likely changed their preorders to that platform.

As for where I stand, my brother doesn't have a PS4, so I will probably be playing on PC with him. He really likes Kamala Khan. 

If the game does well and doesn't die like Anthem, I'll probably pick up the PS5 version in the future, at a discount.
  • WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,361
    If the endgame is good im in , but still sucks ....i want to play as Spidey! 

Gonna wait and see...the game looks like Anthem with a Marvel skin
    Arterius said:
    Aeander said:
    Arterius said:
    Aeander said:

Surprinsingly didn't seem to hurt the game though. Just proves no such thing as bad press and casual gamers just don't care. The PS4 version went from 36th place on Amazon sales to #2 after the spider-man announcement and the last time I checked it was #3

Xbox is sitting at number #30 so it got a boost but not nearly as big as the PS4.

Edit: Last time I check was a day or two after the spider-man announcent after reading a post about it on reddit. Looks like its number #42 now with the Xbox version not even making the list. 
    I don't doubt that. An Avengers game was always going to sell well, and the aggressive "Playstation advantages" have made it the definitive best platform for the game. Anyone on the fence about platform is likely to order it there, and many likely changed their preorders to that platform.

As for where I stand, my brother doesn't have a PS4, so I will probably be playing on PC with him. He really likes Kamala Khan. 

If the game does well and doesn't die like Anthem, I'll probably pick up the PS5 version in the future, at a discount.
    I agree that the game will sell well but I highly expect it to be like Fallout 76. Its going to get a lot of hate on release online, I mean it already has it, and people who didn't play it are going to shit on this game left and right. People who did play the game and didn't like it will do the same. 

The game will still have a healthy fanbase but whenever news of updates and the like happen people will talk about how dead the game is and who cares.
    I think you're right. And that's unfortunate. I need another good third person looter.

Here's hoping this one becomes something great and Outriders delivers on launch.