Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Here's Why Squadron 42 News Was Delayed

1235»

Comments

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Babuinix said:
    lahnmir said:
    But it was a big issue when there wasn’t a delay. The dumb haters would see SQ42 Beta Q3 2020, they didn’t understand development. Q3 2020 would show them snarky snark.

But it didn’t. First the roadmap was removed altogether so no one could make the mistake of holding someone accountable. Now Q3 is silently passing by and we are getting a roadmap for a new roadmap. And voila, now its a non issue, it doesn’t matter anymore. At least people can be consistent in their arguing when acting out their inner troll. When retconning as hard as this everything is always fine, even when it really isn’t.
    Was it a big issue? or a issue BIG for you? A game getting delayed IS a non issue, a roadmap being postponed is even a bigger non issue lol. No matter how you put it.

Making Dev's accountable by posting on the internet ? Good luck with that waste of time lol

If anyone thinks otherwise I guess they'll just have to adjust their expectations. Throwing tantrums about it surely won't make it go faster lol
    Kyleran said:
    Yet quarter after quarter goes by without a finished product.
    Sure, making games can be hard, but it isn't rocket science.
    Actually many would say that because for them making games is an ART and it's main goal is being "FUN", for someone. Achieved through subjective sensorial emotional factors like "Engagement", "Beauty", "Creativity", that have to resonate to a X amount of people to be considered a task "completed with success".

While a rocket relies on a exact Science. So I'd say its completely plausible that for some people it's definitely harder to make a good game than a good Rocket simply because of the subjectivity and uncertainty nature of the end goal. :)

I don't think GRR Martin is losing sleep at night that NASA made a rover before he finished Game of Thrones. Bet Cameron and Avatar 2 isn't either. :D
    So it will always be a non issue regardless of how many promises are broken and how long it takes to get SQ42 out the door?  Interesting but not surprising.
    There's no promises in game development, there's intentions and then there's reality.

As anyone with a bit of clue about game development would know, things never align as planned.  :)

You are also underestimating how many supporters are being added to this recurring list of malcontents.  Again, you are handwaving and pretending it's always the same voices with the same baseless complaints.
    Nah, I'm really not.

You only need to watch this thread and how 99% of the posters never backed Star Citizen so their "malcontent" is as insignificant as their noise. Just the usual cynics/haters and some randoms that hopped on the bandwagon to release some stress and moved on :D

Meanwhile, in the real world, the game keeps getting more backers and generating more funding every year.

Still win win for game and press, more controversy more moneyz!
    Rinse & Repeat B)

Ohh Babs, it wasn’t an issue for me at all. You know fully well that I wasn’t the one constantly throwing that date around as proof of how dumb the haters were. I said then, and now again, that you can’t ridicule others’ their predictions (90 tops, that one you like so much) when your own predictions (SQ42 Q3 2020) haven’t come true yet because when that fails you will look like a clown.

All the graphs and verbal waterfalls can’t hide the dishonesty that is the foundation for all your arguing. Fans love the game, fans understand the game and its development, if you don’t love or understand the game and its development you are not a fan and your opinion will be dismissed and ridiculed. Love the game? Welcome, no questions asked. Are you critical of the game? First fill out this ten page form with all the criteria to see if your opinion holds any merit.

TLDR: the SQ42 Beta Q3 2020 is a date that has constantly been used by the fans on these very forums, nobody else. It was used to mock people and shut them up. It backfired because nothing happened and promises are hard to keep I guess. But all is good, nothing to see. We’ll just retcon our behavior and attitude...

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• BabuinixBabuinix Member EpicPosts: 4,265
    edited August 2020

Kyleran said:
    Sure, but until it launches in its final form there actually is no real evidence that a good game is in the making is there?
    All subjective since "good game" is tied to "Fun". Your definition of a good game might not be the same for other people.

Usually when a indie / crowdfunded developer makes a game it's something themselves want to play, something they like enough to try and make come true, as they release early builds or share their pitch video they hope there's enough people that share that passion for that kind of game so that they are commercially viable. So there's always a balance between what dev's would like for their games to be vs what the "community" would like vs what's viable for keeping in business.
    lahnmir said:
    Ohh Babs, it wasn’t an issue for me at all. You know fully well that I wasn’t the one constantly throwing that date around as proof of how dumb the haters were. I said then, and now again, that you can’t ridicule others’ their predictions (90 tops, that one you like so much) when your own predictions (SQ42 Q3 2020) haven’t come true yet because when that fails you will look like a clown.
    Wasn't? It sure seems so, since you keep bringing that up when I never throwned any SQ42 predictions around lol

I'm the biggest advocate of letting dev's develop while enjoying what's available because I know better, having fun of those who dramatize these things is just cherry on top lol

Anyone dwelling into crowdfunded games should know damn well there's no "promises" in game development and that things are constantly changing and that it would be extremely idiotic to complain about such natural occurrences because it would showcase both ignorance and obliviousness about game development. B)

Rhoklaw said:
    I wouldn't have any issues with SC, if it weren't for the shear amount of capital gains made over the years. If they are not even in BETA after $300 million and 500+ employees, that means there are some serious flaws in management.

Hell, other crowdfunded games have made way more progress with far less money and manpower in a shorter time period.

If Money + Human Ressources was all needed to release games you'd think that Amazon would have finished some games by now :D

Or that EA would have made a Star Wars version of Star Citizen...

Or that Bethesda would have released  Starfield...

Or that Ubisoft would have delivered BeyondGood&Evil2 or Pioneer...

If you think "other crowdfunded games" are making more progress I'd say you haven't done your research thoroughly on either end.
    Post edited by Babuinix on
  • botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    edited August 2020
    Babuinix said:

Kyleran said:
    Sure, but until it launches in its final form there actually is no real evidence that a good game is in the making is there?
    All subjective since "good game" is tied to "Fun". Your definition of a good game might not be the same for other people.

Usually when a indie / crowdfunded developer makes a game it's something themselves want to play, something they like enough to try and make come true, as they release early builds or share their pitch video they hope there's enough people that share that passion for that kind of game so that they are commercially viable. So there's always a balance between what dev's would like for their games to be vs what the "community" would like vs what's viable for keeping in business.
    lahnmir said:
    Wasn't? It sure seems so, since you keep bringing that up when I never throwned any SQ42 predictions around lol

I'm the biggest advocate of letting dev's develop while enjoying what's available because I know better, having fun of those who dramatize these things is just cherry on top lol

Anyone dwelling into crowdfunded games should know damn well there's no "promises" in game development and that things are constantly changing and that it would be extremely idiotic to complain about such natural occurrences because it would showcase both ignorance and obliviousness about game development. B)

This is not an indie game. Indie games have way less money, actually do more communication than just putting out new commercials, for whale money and basically are lean and mean. CIS is none of these. 

LOL for 308 million there better be two games (as they promised) or someone should go to jail for fraud. 

• KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,172
    Babuinix said:
    Instead of asking why people still give Star Citizen money they should be asking why no other studio was able to release something better. For some not so odd reason Star Citizen alpha keeps getting updates and being played by more and more players and they keep breaking funding records every year. No competition whatsoever, kinda. 

Should a release of Star Citizen come to pass then perhaps the question you suggest will be asked by the masses, if the game is indeed better.

Until then, SC is no competition to released titles.
    edited August 2020
    botrytis said:
    This is not an indie game. Indie games have way less money, actually do more communication than just putting out new commercials, for whale money and basically are lean and mean. CIS is none of these. 

LOL for 308 million there better be two games (as they promised) or someone should go to jail for fraud. 
    309$Millions actually.

You can say it's the first attempt at making 2 +AAAA games by a Independent studio funded through crowdfunding. Which is cool, specially for those who've been here since the begging. :)

As much as that seems to make you angry it's not a crime to give money to companies you like or cherish their growth for that matter. B)
  • KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,172
    jmlane223 said:
    Eldrach said:
    I really get what they’re trying to achieve, but they’d be better off building a working platform like elite dangerous did - after that feature creep wouldn’t matter as much
    If they "released" anytime soon and under delivered then those foolish enough to continue to pay for "to be implemented" stuff would stop paying.

Would they stop paying? I'm not so sure. I expect many of their supporters would simply remain focused on the promise rather than the product.
    jmlane223 said:
    Eldrach said:
    I really get what they’re trying to achieve, but they’d be better off building a working platform like elite dangerous did - after that feature creep wouldn’t matter as much
    If they "released" anytime soon and under delivered then those foolish enough to continue to pay for "to be implemented" stuff would stop paying.

Would they stop paying? I'm not so sure. I expect many of their supporters would simply remain focused on the promise rather than the product.
    I think this is what CIG hopes but, with the Pandemic and loss of income for many, it may seem as trivial putting money into something that is just pixels.

botrytis said:
    I think this is what CIG hopes but, with the Pandemic and loss of income for many, it may seem as trivial putting money into something that is just pixels.
    Short-sighted as usual :)

Gaming actually got a huge boost thanks to Covid:

What it did was hinder a lot of the development of the big games who are being worked on by multiple studios across the world. Even if many transitioned smoothly to working from home, there's always problems that incrementally add up and slow things down.

It should come to no surprise that many released dates and roadmaps were/are/will be postponed B).

For example, CD Project Red, who has been working in Cyberpunk since ~2013 and only in 2019 announced a release date: April 2020. Then ended up having to delay it to September and now to November (after the CEO said to it's investors that it would most likely make the September release date).

Come to think of it... I wonder if those investors ever felt the need to cry & shout for "accountability" on reddit or gaming forums. :D
    edited August 2020
    Babuinix said:
    botrytis said:
    Short-sighted as usual :)

Gaming actually got a huge boost thanks to Covid:

What it did was hinder a lot of the development of the big games who are being worked on by multiple studios across the world. Even if many transitioned smoothly to working from home, there's always problems that incrementally add up and slow things down.

It should come to no surprise that many released dates and roadmaps were/are/will be postponed B).

For example, CD Project Red, who has been working in Cyberpunk since ~2013 and only in 2019 announced a release date: April 2020. Then ended up having to delay it to September and now to November (after the CEO said to it's investors that it would most likely make the September release date).

Come to think of it... I wonder if those investors ever felt the need to cry & shout for "accountability" on reddit or gaming forums. :D
    Not short-sighted at all. REALISTIC. It is the backers that are short-sighted or do they get all happy with seeing pixels?

So, throw shade on others to take away from what CIG is doing? HMM, seems like you are being a little 'Trumpian' here.

LOL - Excuses Excuses. CIG said S42 would be out 3rd quarter this year. Where is it? Oh I know they couldn't make a good video so they delayed it and the roadmap. *sarcasm on* YUP, that makes sense. *sarcasm off*.

botrytis said:
    Not short-sighted at all. REALISTIC. It is the backers that are short-sighted or do they get all happy with seeing pixels?

So, throw shade on others to take away from what CIG is doing? HMM, seems like you are being a little 'Trumpian' here.

LOL - Excuses Excuses. CIG said S42 would be out 3rd quarter this year. Where is it? Oh I know they couldn't make a good video so they delayed it and the roadmap. *sarcasm on* YUP, that makes sense. *sarcasm off*.

Seems your "reality" keeps clashing with real world though. Wonder why. :)
  • ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,396
    "Which is cool, specially for those who've been here since the begging."

Freudian slip up.....
    Babuinix

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,167
    edited August 2020
    Babuinix said:
    botrytis said:

309$Millions actually.

You can say it's the first attempt at making 2 +AAAA games by a Independent studio funded through crowdfunding. Which is cool, specially for those who've been here since the begging. :)

As much as that seems to make you angry it's not a crime to give money to companies you like or cherish their growth for that matter. B)

"Which is cool, specially for those who've been here since the begging. :)"

LOLZ

Babuinix
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter