Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What do you think of the Death Penalty ?

13»

Comments

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    EVE, what is your secret? It has a huge death penalty - way more than EQ - and people still play it. But bring up naked corpse runs and folks say modern gamers will revolt. 
    cheyane

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    Amathe said:
    EVE, what is your secret? It has a huge death penalty - way more than EQ - and people still play it. But bring up naked corpse runs and folks say modern gamers will revolt. 

I think the secret is making a game that the developers want to play/make and then the people who want that type of experience will show up.

Especially if the game is good.

That seems to be what EVE has done.
    NanfoodleKyleran
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • achesomaachesoma Member RarePosts: 1,726
    Amathe said:

Eve predates WoW. Does anyone know their population? Is it still popular? I've never played Eve but it sounds like a cryptocurrency exchange with graphics.
    Preaching Pantheon to People at PAX  PAX East 2018 Day 4 - YouTube
  • LackingMMOLackingMMO Member RarePosts: 664
    What do I think? Its fine
  • goldwheatgoldwheat Member UncommonPosts: 68
    hahah. how do you design your economy, crafting, loot and gear without a decision on durability?

Amateur hour.  What a joke.  7 years later and they can't even make this one basic decision.

And without de-leveling or a stacking death debuff, max level death = NOTHING with this system.
    Terrible.  Terrible.  Terrible.  People are still giving these jokers money, when they post jokes like this?
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    edited July 2020
    Sovrath said:
    Amathe said:

I think the secret is making a game that the developers want to play/make and then the people who want that type of experience will show up.

Especially if the game is good.

That seems to be what EVE has done.
    This could be amazingly true, yet never thought of this.  The answer can be so simple but overlooked. 

Could be millions of players that never fell into any category, or care about mmoprgs simply found A GAME THEY LIKE.  Infact with years of me being on this site, every so often you see a poster that talks about ONLY ONE GAME and has never played anything else, or even researched any other. 

Now that I think about it..... During the great Vanilla World of Warcraft craze, I've met hundreds of Real Life people that played that game, or had kids that play.  Yet if you mentioned another mmorpg they don't care at all or even lesson to anyone about any other video game..... It's like if WoW went away they may never turn their computer on again.

Very very interesting, thanks @sovrath
    Kyleran
  • AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085
    Yes.

Vanguard getting completely ignored is a theme now. Which means since I have zero interest in EQ and I wanted a Vanguard successor I fail to see why I should even care about this project anymore.

If a game like this gets permanent item decay, i.e. you have to get into threadmill gaming constantly replacing gear you had already gained, it wouldnt be for me at a long shot, anyway. Might as well make it a free to play full loot pvp if not just permadeath game at that point.

Permanent item decay => no longterm motivation to play the game (i.e. you cant actually archieve any lasting success), and thus not a MMO, as far as I'm concerned.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,953
    edited July 2020
    Corpse runs should be in the past. Death Penalty is best used to encourage social activities like going to an entertainment venue to reduce "death fatigue".
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    When someone gets something important, I hope they don't leave and go back to their bind point in fear of loosing it.

Maybe make one or two slots that stay with the character and does not drop on the ground ?
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    Scot said:
    Corpse runs should be in the past. Death Penalty is best used to encourage social activities like going to an entertainment venue to reduce "death fatigue".
    Imagine the server's top raiding guilds grinding the nearest inn whenever a new raid is released. 

[Deleted User]Scot

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    goldwheat said:
    hahah. how do you design your economy, crafting, loot and gear without a decision on durability?

Amateur hour.  What a joke.  7 years later and they can't even make this one basic decision.

And without de-leveling or a stacking death debuff, max level death = NOTHING with this system.
    Terrible.  Terrible.  Terrible.  People are still giving these jokers money, when they post jokes like this?
    I think they have already decided that equipment will not decay or get destroyed permanently.

After that the question of durability can be decided quite late because the need for occasional repair can be used as balancing act to remove gold from economy / give selected crafting profession(s) something good / adjust how large the death penalty is.

I do agree that this planned death penalty is bad system, though.

• goldwheatgoldwheat Member UncommonPosts: 68
    So it's not durability loss through use as well?  Then it's Yet Another Death Tax.
    Which will be meaningless at max level, just like every other MMO that has tried to Tax Death in the past.  Have the devs never played past MMOs?  Seems like they haven't.

If they're not removing items from the economy, then there's no death penalty at all here, compared to OG EQ1.  Lame.
    And as a money sink? Item repair is a literal drop in the bucket.  It does almost nothing, when you've got 1k-3k players per server all looting coin 24x7.  Doomed to repeat history, this one.
    bcbully
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    Vrika said:
    goldwheat said:

I think they have already decided that equipment will not decay or get destroyed permanently.

After that the question of durability can be decided quite late because the need for occasional repair can be used as balancing act to remove gold from economy / give selected crafting profession(s) something good / adjust how large the death penalty is.

I do agree that this planned death penalty is bad system, though.
    I don't really think it's bad, but as you say, they need to remove equipment. That needs to be a thing.
    bcbully
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759
    Yes.

Vanguard getting completely ignored is a theme now. Which means since I have zero interest in EQ and I wanted a Vanguard successor I fail to see why I should even care about this project anymore.

If a game like this gets permanent item decay, i.e. you have to get into threadmill gaming constantly replacing gear you had already gained, it wouldnt be for me at a long shot, anyway. Might as well make it a free to play full loot pvp if not just permadeath game at that point.

Permanent item decay => no longterm motivation to play the game (i.e. you cant actually archieve any lasting success), and thus not a MMO, as far as I'm concerned.

Carm your horses. No one said permanent item decay.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,953
    Vrika said:
    Scot said:
    Imagine the server's top raiding guilds grinding the nearest inn whenever a new raid is released. 

That would be a good thing though and as long as spaces are big enough should not be a problem. Have a rave, do what you like just interact. :)
  • svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,230
    Amathe said:

I suspect it isnt at all simple as that.  Probably people dont die and lose everything as often, and when they do it probably doesnt take a full year to recover.  I played UO with full gear loss and you pretty much were back up and running in 15 minutes. 

• svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,230
    goldwheat said:
    So it's not durability loss through use as well?  Then it's Yet Another Death Tax.
    Which will be meaningless at max level, just like every other MMO that has tried to Tax Death in the past.  Have the devs never played past MMOs?  Seems like they haven't.

If they're not removing items from the economy, then there's no death penalty at all here, compared to OG EQ1.  Lame.
    And as a money sink? Item repair is a literal drop in the bucket.  It does almost nothing, when you've got 1k-3k players per server all looting coin 24x7.  Doomed to repeat history, this one.

Item repair is not intended as a money sink.  What it means is that if you die too much you will have to go repair.  Its not a harsh penalty but it certainly isnt nothing.

If your issue is an inflated money supply thats a completely different subject.
  • achesomaachesoma Member RarePosts: 1,726
    Found an old streaming video of Brad talking about death penalty. 

Preaching Pantheon to People at PAX  PAX East 2018 Day 4 - YouTube
  • AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085
    LOL people really bring up EVE ?

First of all, EVE is not so much a fantasy or science fiction game than more of an economy simulator, really. Thats why I'm not exactly jumping up and down to play it.

And when it gets to actual gaming, yes technically there is permadeath, but you can usually escape death and if you dont, you can have a clone at the ready.

So effectively EVE has a very mild penalty for dying, except if you dont play the game correctly.