Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Obsidian RPG Avowed Announced at Xbox Games Showcase

2»

Comments

• azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402
    Sovrath said:

remsleep said:

azarhal said:

remsleep said:

Hard to tell anything from that trailer.

pet peeve - trailers that dont show off gameplay

It's very informative, if you know Pillars of Eternity lore and are aware that Feargus has been saying since POE1 that he wanted to make a Skyrim-like RPG set in that setting. The game was confirmed to be set in it (Eora).

Just based on the teaser I can infer that the game is set after 2260 AI in Aedyr (required for the undeads to exist). Based on the voice over, it's also after the Aedyr Empire creation in 2399 AI as well (queens & kings + forge our empire). On top of it, it's full of Woedica related stuff (broken crown symbol, oaths, the sword says Oathbinder) and she is mostly worshiped in Aedyr. It also talk about "monsters born of our sins" a clear reference to animancy.

So we are talking about a skyrim-like* game set in Aedyr about 400 years before the first Pillars of Eternity game that will (again) involve the goddess Woedica and animancy...

*Might not be full open-world, as it's not mentioned anywhere to be.
    **It's a long way off, they only started to work on this late last year.

If they released a 6 hour video talking about lore and showed no gameplay - that wouldnt change my position at all.

Also skyrim like without showing gameplay could mean anything, Witcher is skyrim like, so is Legend of Zelda, and as you said we dont know how open world it will be - so again speculation, we dont know.

All I want to see is gameplay, lore is litteraly the least important thing to me

So again from where I stand "very informative" is an absurd thing to say 

Also 1st person only- huge turnoff 

But where he stands very informative = very informative.

I would say I'm in the middle. Game play is NOT the most important thing for me and setting and art design are higher.

And in truth there is a small bit of "game play" with the avatar holding the sword and casting a spell. Which looks very good. I imagine it is in first person given that reveal.

I'm also impressed that he/she knew all that.
    It is first person. On the trailer youtube page and official website it says: Obsidian Entertainment's next epic, first-person RPG set in the fantasy world of Eora.  I don't expect there to be 3rd person. Regardless of how much people QQed about it, they didn't add it to The Outer Worlds.

And I know my Eora lore having kickstarted both Pillars of Eternity games, owning the lorebooks and playing both twice so far. The trailer was clearly created to have PoE fans speculates on things. I could be wrong with the 400 years before the cRPGs and it being in Aedyr though. The narrative of the trailer could just be about evoking Aedyr's past and not really about when/where the story is set. But I don't see this being concurrent to the PoE games (lacks gunpowder) or after considering how Deadfire ends.

As for gameplay, I mostly wonder how much they are going to cut out. There is 19 playable subspecies in the setting and a crazy amount of weapon types/powers/spells.
    Sovrath
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,011
    azarhal said:

Vrika said:

Gorwe said:

Sovrath said:

azarhal said:

remsleep said:

azarhal said:

remsleep said:

It's very informative, if you know Pillars of Eternity lore and are aware that Feargus has been saying since POE1 that he wanted to make a Skyrim-like RPG set in that setting. The game was confirmed to be set in it (Eora).

Just based on the teaser I can infer that the game is set after 2260 AI in Aedyr (required for the undeads to exist). Based on the voice over, it's also after the Aedyr Empire creation in 2399 AI as well (queens & kings + forge our empire). On top of it, it's full of Woedica related stuff (broken crown symbol, oaths, the sword says Oathbinder) and she is mostly worshiped in Aedyr. It also talk about "monsters born of our sins" a clear reference to animancy.

So we are talking about a skyrim-like* game set in Aedyr about 400 years before the first Pillars of Eternity game that will (again) involve the goddess Woedica and animancy...

If they released a 6 hour video talking about lore and showed no gameplay - that wouldnt change my position at all.

Also skyrim like without showing gameplay could mean anything, Witcher is skyrim like, so is Legend of Zelda, and as you said we dont know how open world it will be - so again speculation, we dont know.

All I want to see is gameplay, lore is litteraly the least important thing to me

Witcher and Legend of Zelda aren't Skyrim-like. Both are strictly 3rd person to start with. Witcher is very story based with lots of cutscenes and has poor open world exploration while Skyrim is all about world exploration (or doing whatever you want really). Also, the Witcher 3 open world is designed like a an Ubisoft open world games and that's not like a Bethesda open world at all. Nobody does open world games like Bethesda does (well minus Obsidian with Fallout New Vegas).

Also, by Legend of Zelda I presume you mean Breath of the Wild, because otherwise I'll have to conclude you really don't know what you are talking about. I haven't played it, but from what I saw it's more of an adventure game set in an open world, not a RPG.

Absolutely this.

I tried playing Witcher 3 like an elder scrolls game and it just didn't work. Once one realizes it's predominantly a quest based game set in an "open world" it plays much better.

Breath of the Wild has Role Playing game elements and does reward exploration but is not like an elder scrolls game.

How do you play a TES game? What are you referring to?

In TES game you can head to do a quest, but then find some stuff to gather, and a hamlet you want to explore, and get another quest to nearby cave, and need to haul and sell loot, and find another interesting place to explore, and then have some crafting to do.

Then you've played 5 hours and realize you're on the wrong side of the mountain from your original quest objective. But it doesn't really matter because there's interesting stuff here that you want to do.

To add to this, TES DNA is in dungeon crawlers. The quests exist to lead you to "dungeons" or content, but the quest aren't required to have access to most of the game content. And while most quest givers are in cities, they can give you quests that send you all over the place.

In TW3, if you ignore the quests, you have a landscape with trash mobs on it and a few activities/POI to clear. All the "dungeons" are locked to quests and you need the quest before you can enter them. The only quests you "stumble" upon are the witcher contracts and most will send you back to the quest giver before you can kill the monster anyway

Short version: in TES the meat is in the gameworld, in TW3 the meat is in the quests.

That's a good way to put it.

I have a friend, not a "gamer" but any stretch of the imagination, but he does play the Elder Scrolls games as they come out.

He rarely does the quests and prefers to wander and explore.

I tried playing the Witcher 3 in this manner and it just didn't work. While I don't like the term "trash mobs" it is as you say; fight some mobs, clear some areas.

I seem to remember stumbling into a few interesting areas but quests led to those areas. It's not really a "dungeon crawling" game.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    Meh, if it's first person only.

Glorious if it offers a choice of first and third.
    Gorwe
  • GorweGorwe Member Posts: 1,428
    azarhal said:
    Sovrath said:

remsleep said:

azarhal said:

remsleep said:

I would say I'm in the middle. Game play is NOT the most important thing for me and setting and art design are higher.

And in truth there is a small bit of "game play" with the avatar holding the sword and casting a spell. Which looks very good. I imagine it is in first person given that reveal.

It is first person. On the trailer youtube page and official website it says: Obsidian Entertainment's next epic, first-person RPG set in the fantasy world of Eora.  I don't expect there to be 3rd person. Regardless of how much people QQed about it, they didn't add it to The Outer Worlds.

And I know my Eora lore having kickstarted both Pillars of Eternity games, owning the lorebooks and playing both twice so far. The trailer was clearly created to have PoE fans speculates on things. I could be wrong with the 400 years before the cRPGs and it being in Aedyr though. The narrative of the trailer could just be about evoking Aedyr's past and not really about when/where the story is set. But I don't see this being concurrent to the PoE games (lacks gunpowder) or after considering how Deadfire ends.

As for gameplay, I mostly wonder how much they are going to cut out. There is 19 playable subspecies in the setting and a crazy amount of weapon types/powers/spells.
    While we are at it, what do you think of the whole Gods theme in Deadfire? Or Deadfire in general.
  • azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402
    Gorwe said:
    azarhal said:
    Sovrath said:

remsleep said:

azarhal said:

remsleep said:

While we are at it, what do you think of the whole Gods theme in Deadfire? Or Deadfire in general.
    They are a dysfunctional family full of narcissists given way too much power. A reflection of their creators I suspect.

I liked Deadfire, I felt it was an improvement over the first game mechanically. But, I do prefer the POE1 map design for regions. I didn't hate the boat, just that the island were mostly overland icon travelling without content in them outside small zones with bosses/encounters. Also, I feel the main story in POE1 was more engaging, but that Deadfire major side content was better than in POE1.