Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EVE Community Needs a good old fashion Beat Down

13»

Comments

• UngoodUngood Member EpicPosts: 4,881
    tzervo said:
    Ungood said:
    So has Comparing the population of B2P, F2P, and Sub Based Games, but, here you are, doing just that.

And for the record, Trove, like EvE, Albinon, DDO, and a slew of other MMO's, also has its own launcher, so, using their steam numbers as a baseline to get a feel for their comparative populations, is not as disingenuous as it seems.
    Agree with the first paragraph, if you are looking for more than a single population number (i.e. "quality" of the population). Good point. Still, population numbers are a number that you can compare with some accuracy, and they do carry some importance. The other thing you could see is revenue and how large studios are (how many employees they can sustain).

Steam numbers as a baseline are dangerous for drawing conclusions and depend heavily on the game. For example EVE right now shows ~40k concurrent players. Out of those only ~6k play on Steam (I literally just launched the client to check).
    I never said Steam gave the correct population, I said if gave gave a baseline for comparative populations.

IE: You could use the Steam Numbers toi see which game might have more active players in it, and which games might be more successful.

However, there is a point of contention on that, as older games, like EvE and DDO, might not have the Steam Population that newer games have, so, that would need to be taken into consideration.

But it could still serve to give an idea of popularity/population disparity between the games.
    Gdemami
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.
  • tzervotzervo Member RarePosts: 808
    edited October 2020
    Ungood said:
    I never said Steam gave the correct population, I said if gave gave a baseline for comparative populations.

IE: You could use the Steam Numbers toi see which game might have more active players in it, and which games might be more successful.

However, there is a point of contention on that, as older games, like EvE and DDO, might not have the Steam Population that newer games have, so, that would need to be taken into consideration.

But it could still serve to give an idea of popularity/population disparity between the games.
    I gave a real, current example where the difference between native client and Steam is 700%. Almost an order of magnitude. That's a horrible baseline to use to:

- compare to anything (your bolded "population comparison" could easily give you the opposite result from reality by far) 
    - draw conclusions (a game is a failure)
    - or even get an idea about (your "idea of population disparity" could be up to 700% off from reality).
    Post edited by tzervo on
    tzervo said:
    Ungood said:

I gave a real, current example where the difference between native client and Steam is 700%. Almost an order of magnitude. That's a horrible baseline to use to:

- compare to anything (your bolded "population comparison" could easily give you the opposite result from reality by far) 
    - draw conclusions (a game is a failure)
    - or even get an idea about (your "idea of population disparity" could be up to 700% off from reality).
    I would find it hard to believe that there could be 700% less people logged into the game than Steam says are playing currently.. LOL!

But.. 15% of the population being logged into Steam for older MMO's, seems about right all things said and done.

Anyway, none of this changes that OW PVP MMO's are at best small time players, even if they have gotten more hype than some of the big MMO's on the market. Simply put, they do not have the appeal.

Now, if you want to cry that they are not failures, you can do that, but that does not change the fact they are still all swimming in the kiddie pool with the other MMO's (PvE and PvP alike), that never quite made it to the big time.

Tell ya what, when you get a winner, then you can tell them they were all not failures.
    Gdemami
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.
    edited October 2020
    Ungood said:
    I would find it hard to believe that there could be 700% less people logged into the game than Steam says are playing currently.. LOL!
    Only that's not what I said. When real life examples, even with numbers, don't work with you, I know I'm done. You either can't or don't want to understand and twist my words in bad faith. Feel free to believe what you will.
    Post edited by tzervo on
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 7,546
    More recent open world FFA PvP games will be reflected in terms of the stats more accurately than older games like Eve. Eve launched on a different platform for years and years. Naturally the steam figures are far lower.

Trends however can be reflected by a sample size of a population. That is something that can be gauged by using steam stats.
    UngoodGdemamikitarad
    Chamber of Chains
    edited October 2020
    cheyane said:
    More recent open world FFA PvP games will be reflected in terms of the stats more accurately than older games like Eve. Eve launched on a different platform for years and years. Naturally the steam figures are far lower.

Trends however can be reflected by a sample size of a population. That is something that can be gauged by using steam stats.
    Albion was launched in 2016. It has an upward trend as shown in the links I shared that is not reflected in the Steam charts and also a huge disparity between Steam and native client, even though many players came in after the Steam launch.

https://massivelyop.com/2020/09/14/albion-online-touts-continued-population-growth-in-september-and-work-on-new-features/

I don't disagree that many times what you say is true. But it is unreliable, especially when using it to back bold claims.
    edited October 2020
    tzervo said:
    cheyane said:

Albion was launched in 2016. It has an upward trend as shown in the links I shared that is not reflected in the Steam charts and also a huge disparity between Steam and native client, even though many players came in after the Steam launch.
    Let me help you out.

This what Albinon says about their population.

https://albiononline.com/en/news/population-update-may-2020

This is what another site says:

https://mmo-population.com/r/albiononline

Now.. Ok.. Ok.. Looks good.. right. And I think you were saying something about how it rivals EvE, right?

This is Eve's Numbers. By the same site.

https://mmo-population.com/r/Eve

Even has not given me any full numbers on their official site, just active log ins.

But.. by the numbers, EvE has near to 5 times as many as Albinon.

Now lets see what Trove says about their Numbers, you know, the game you called a PvE failure.

Right from the Company itself.

https://www.trionworlds.com/trove/en/game/faq/#:~:text=Trove is played by nearly,and regions around the world.

How popular is Trove?
    Trove is played by nearly 10 million players across 4 different platforms and in more than 100 countries and regions around the world.

Ok.. so.. Umm yah.. Trove says 10 million players, 4 platforms, 100 countries, can't find any other source of numbers outside Steam Charts.

So.. what shall we do.. Shall I just flaunt Troves 10 million to Albinon 100K and Eve's 500K, and soff that you think such low ballers hold a candle to Trove?

I mean really.. what are the choices here?
    Gdemami
    edited October 2020
    I gave official numbers, you give dodgy sites. And you kerp giving incomparable numbers. And I did not call Trove a PVE failure, I called it a mid sized success. You keep twisting my words. Please stop doing that.
    tzervo said:
    But those numbers and trends are not numbers of a failed game, they are numbers of a successful mid sized MMO, same as many other games outside of the big four, like Trove, E:D etc. Saying that every OW PVP MMO game is a failure shows just petty hatred towards PVP games and grasping at straws.