Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EVE Community Needs a good old fashion Beat Down

EdnircsEdnircs Member UncommonPosts: 5
I gave EVE a Tryout and this is My Impression. The Game Controls are Confusing and the Text is too small to read and Comprehend. I got a Notice that I needed to Up Grade my Weapons and when I tried to Do so following the games tutorial I was soon overwhelmed with useless information and I wasn't able to find the weapons that had to be removed and replaced and when I asked for Help in the Chat Forum I was following the instructions and my Ship was Consequently attacked and Destroyed while I was simply trying to get some Knowledge to help me continue. The Player Chat was hostile and unhelpful. The Graphics do not live up to the Game Trailers I have seen recently. I finally found how to sign off and once I got signed off I deleted the game from my Computer. I will not ever try EVE again. As far as I am Concerned the Game is way overrated and impossible for any New Players to even Try to use, the community there is hostile to beginners and not helpful. I was deliberately directed into a Hostile Zone So my Ship could be used for target Practice. I abhor Cheaters and Liars. I am Sure that My opinion will not have much effect on the EVE Community as they are in my Humble Opinion just a Bunch of Losers who can't Participate in Real Life Social Situations and need to get Lives and Probably JOBS. If you are part of the Community and you feel that I have insulted you and hurt your Feelings well too bad. I will not Change my Statement because I hurt your Feelings and I will Not Apologize. To Summarize EVE is an Awful Game And the Community is the Worse of any game I have previously Played with the Possible Exception of War Thunder.
Fly the Nukes
IselinmmolouKyleranGdemamistrawhat0981itchmonWhiteLanternQuarterStackWalkinGlenn

Comments

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Ok.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    [Deleted User]strawhat0981
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Eve was never supposed to be a quality game,it was an entry level game for CCP  and they didn't have the budget to finish it or publish it.
    After that they put little work into the game because they needed the money so badly they instead went for selling expansions,just adding more space to empty space.
    There was nothing i liked about Eve,literally nothing,it is designed that badly.
    I could sit here and start rambling off piece by piece how i would change it but why bother,i would scrap the entire game and make a better one.

So in comes Chris Roberts,supposedly trying to do just that.I do not for one minute feel Chris was serious about making a AAA game,instead he just wanted to make something on gamer's money which of course equates to a 100% profit..lol.I am quite sure he saw how bad Eve was designed and figured he could do much better an on a smaller budget.

Well i'll skip the rest of that story,bottom line is that the Space game genre is bottle necked with below par games,nobody is pushing the envelope to force others to step it up.CCP doesn't need to do any better they are already rolling in the dough,Robert's doesn't even need to release a game and is rolling in the dough,see a trend here?
    I have a stigma attached to space games and that is they are all real cheap and real bad and i don't see that changing for a long time because the people that aim for the space genre are typically the low budget operations.

mmolouGdemamistrawhat0981WalkinGlennBrume

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• Svekke21Svekke21 Member UncommonPosts: 1
    Send me your isk, I'll double it as a welcome gift
    mmolou[Deleted User]strawhat0981klash2defitchmon
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,373
    edited July 2020
    Please learn how to properly capitalize your prose, it was almost painful to wade through such a shamble.

You did a number of things wrong and I suspect your questions in the help channels came across as hostile as your post here hence why you were "helped" into a hostile system, where apparently you completely ignored the in game warnings about the dangers of doing so.

Perhaps there needs to be some sort of "Turing Test" before new players get started to determine if they really are EVE gamer material.

Either that or a boot camp might help, "drop and give me 20 cadet"

:D 

[Deleted User]mmoloustrawhat0981klash2defitchmon

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    No game's community deserves a blanket condemnation. There are always good and bad. 
    kitarad[Deleted User]strawhat0981klash2defQuarterStack

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,875
    When dealing with a help channel. Always be polite and non argumentative. When players expand their precious time in helping, you should be effusive in your thanks. It never hurts to be so because coming across as an ass has its own 'rewards' as I suspect is the case here.
    [Deleted User]KyleranAmathecheyaneklash2def

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    kitarad said:
    When dealing with a help channel. Always be polite and non argumentative. When players expand their precious time in helping, you should be effusive in your thanks. It never hurts to be so because coming across as an ass has its own 'rewards' as I suspect is the case here.
    That is good real life advice also. Showing appreciation to others goes a long way. 
    Kyleranitchmon[Deleted User]

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• xdave78xdave78 Member UncommonPosts: 102
    edited August 2020
    I made a totally opposite experience. At first the tutorial quests have to be read much more carefully than in most games where little arrows and blinking icons guide you, if you are not good in reading. The tutorial never leads you into really hostile areas. And there are no SAFE areas in Eve exept the hangar.

The community and the chat made me believe again, that not every community is toxic. The people answered any crap question, i was invited to voice to get some starter tipps, they provided usefull training goals and fittings for what i want to do. Even some millions of ISK flew into my pocket - even though this was not my intention. This is by far the best community I met over the last few years.  But I´m still struggeling with the game itself....

You have to learn FAST. 
    Gdemami[Deleted User]Kyleranitchmon
  • DivionDivion Member UncommonPosts: 411
    My first eve experience was likely back in 2006, or 07; my current "main" was born in 09; my first alt was born in 2018, i've returned numerous times over the years, and it's always the same, the game can't really be enjoyed solo, which annoys me. Every time i try to get involved with a community i regret it.

The community is toxic no matter what you do, the game is infamous for it's toxicity within it's community. Some may not get exposed to it, but most will.

Throughout the years, and corps i joined i only found 1 chill group (the corp died months later, and i quit again) -> Back in 2016 or 17, i decided to give it a "serious" try.

This time i joined a corp to try and learn more, and be more involved in the game. 

This large corp i joined was "new-bro" friendly, and what i experienced is what would have to be akin to a new pledge at a frat house. I came across what was quintessentially losers in real life, playing out their authoritarian fantasies in EVE by hazing "newbros" (i term i think is silly.)

Now, i took issue with this, you see i founded, and ran the largest and up til Q4 of 2019, the oldest life skill guild in BDO the game ever seen, i usually create communities, i don't join them, so i had high expectations, but even still - the treatment here was terrible.

They don't expect YOU to play YOUR game, a doctrine of practice i oppose aggressively as a community leader, communities exist to bridge players of similar playstyles, not to force you to play your own product a different way to appease a larger focus point, i get that IF the point of the community is that, but a corp designed for new player onboarding isn't the same as nullsec corp that exists to eat up sectors.

Anyways, so that created contention, the "leaders" of this corp spent their time talking down to the new players, and lording their status over them, we did a few fleet operations, and their was an attempt to introduce paramilitary discipline (which as a USMC-Iraq combat vet i found cringy) into the communication structure, which was really just an excuse to lord over status, and yell/belittle new players who had legit questions. Which translated to "Don't ask questions, just do what i say, even though you joined for me to share knowledge, you are not worthy of that knowledge, so far now til i think you are, just do what i say".

This resulted in the final act of disgust for me. I wanted to learn the game, so i headed out to do missions in my own ship, and experimenting with my own fitting, this disgust my corp, as was suppose to fly THEIR ship, using THEIR fitting.

So to teach me a lesson? They sold me out to an enemy corp, who showed up in deadspace while i was doing my mission, and killed me, thus losing a significant amount of my assets i had gained over the years. The only lesson i learned there was in this game, even if your "allies" are enemies, and your enemies will target you for real life reasons, no in game reasons. They get off on it, they relish in causing another player anguish in game to compensate for whatever is wrong with them in real life.

I don't need that in my life, and every experience with EVE has ran to the same intersection point. The game is just a platform for toxicity of the worse kind. If you have no yet experienced it, given time you eventually will. 
    GdemamiKyleranZenoLoc

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,737
    " The Player Chat was hostile and unhelpful."

This was my biggest issue when I tried the game. Very toxic community that just turned me off big time.
    [Deleted User]GdemamiZenoLoc
  • klash2defklash2def Member EpicPosts: 1,949
    I don't understand the player chat being a hostile thing, I've only seen "OVERLY EAGER" people wanting to help. I mean every once in a while you might get a scammer in there lol but mostly its people trying to help.
    [Deleted User]GdemamiKyleran
    "Beliefs don't change facts. Facts, if you're reasonable, should change your beliefs."

"The Society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."

Currently: Games Audio Engineer, you didn't hear what I heard, you heard what I wanted you to hear. 

• UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,516
    Welcome to Open World PvP games.

They are ALL like that.. and people wonder why they fail.. LOL.
    itchmonGdemami
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999
    Ungood said:

Eve is a few months older than WoW.  It's still open and making news with WWBee2.

Ask wildstar, tabula rasa, SWG fans and they would kill to have their game "fail as hard" as eve
    [Deleted User]

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

itchmon said:
    Ungood said:

Eve is a few months older than WoW.  It's still open and making news with WWBee2.

Ask wildstar, tabula rasa, SWG fans and they would kill to have their game "fail as hard" as eve
    Thank for you making my point. EvE is as old as WoW, both are quite literally, the Apex of their Chosen Platform. EvE being quite literally the most popular Open World PvP game on the market, nothing else even comes close.

Eve has peaked at around half a million, WoW peaked at 12 million.

As for the games you listed.

Lord British himself killed tabula rasa, that was his screw up.

SWG? Really, you are parroting the Iconic Cautionary tale game for their NGE? LOL. They killed their own game, like the idiots they were.

Wildstar was a buggy mess at launch, an overall flat out shit game.

If any of those people would have commited a violent felony to see the success of EvE, well that would have just been one more in a long list of bad choices and screw ups they made regarding the making of their MMO to start.
    Gdemami
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

tzervo said:
    Ungood said:
    itchmon said:
    Ungood said:

Thank for you making my point. EvE is as old as WoW, both are quite literally, the Apex of their Chosen Platform. EvE being quite literally the most popular Open World PvP game on the market, nothing else even comes close.

With this reasoning, your two dearhearts, Trove and DDO, have also failed.

Noone said EVE or open world full loot PVP MMORPGs in general are as popular as WoW, or any of the big four. You said that all PVP games (which includes EVE) have failed.

Also, Albion currently has MAU numbers comparable to EVE's (to address the "nothing even comes close", which is also incorrect).
    Just because all Open world PvP games have failed, does not mean every PvE is a smashing success.

I have no idea where you even get such a ridiculous notion.
    Gdemami

tzervo said:
    Ungood said:
    itchmon said:
    Ungood said:

With this reasoning, your two dearhearts, Trove and DDO, have also failed.

Noone said EVE or open world full loot PVP MMORPGs in general are as popular as WoW, or any of the big four. You said that all PVP games (which includes EVE) have failed.

Also, Albion currently has MAU numbers comparable to EVE's (to address the "nothing even comes close", which is also incorrect).
    Also.. Just for the record.

Just to grasp this. Steam all Time Peak: Trove was at 58K, Albinon was at 13K.

Albinon has never seen the Success that Trove has, ever, and Trove was at best a some small time niche game for people that wanted to play a Voxel MMO. It was never, ever a major player in the MMO field.

As far as DDO goes, that game almost died at launch, and it has struggled so much, and faced sunsetting so many times, that they used it to Test the idea of a F2P MMO Model in the West, making DDO the Father of Modern F2P MMO's, so much so that they called F2P MMO's the "Turbine Model". But again, DDO never made it to the big time, for a company that such an iconic IP like Dungeons and Dragons Online, it's always limped along like it took a arrow to the knee, and if you played the game through the years, it's pretty damn evident they did it all to themselves, but it survived past it's original studio dropping all their MMO's and moving to Mobile games, because MMO's were simply not profitable enough for them, a feat, very.. very.. few MMO's have survived through. It also was a very niche' game for people that wanted to play 3.x AD&D rules. It never had popular appeal.

But then again, I never had any delusions on the popularity of the games I enjoyed playing, I knew they were never big time games, and for some of them.. like DDO, till this day I am amazined it is still alive and kicking.. and getting a new expansion to boot! 

So.. just so you can get a graps of this.

You have went to bank with your vaunted Open World PvP games against two, MMO's that would be considered small fry players, or in the case of DDO, a miracle that it is still alive, and still managed to lose  against one of them. 

But in the broad market arena, you are pitting your beloved best examples of OW PvP games , against those two small fries? That should tell you that OW PvP will never become winners in the MMO world, they will at best limp along like the small time niche PvE counterparts, that you just tried to compare them to.

LOL.. I mean.. dude that was like saying "I don't run as bad as that fat drunk guy with a wooden peg leg".. 
    Gdemami

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,741
    edited October 2020
    PvP just like PvE is tricky to do the right way, keeping both types of player happy. It is a lot easier to make a MMO that is PvE or PvP. This idea that PvP cannot be part of a big success, well it is just a case of how it is handled. WoW has many sorts of PvP, that game is still doing famously, in its day DAOC was very popular.
  • KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,109
    Ednircs said:
    I gave EVE a Tryout and this is My Impression. The Game Controls are Confusing and the Text is too small to read and Comprehend. I got a Notice that I needed to Up Grade my Weapons and when I tried to Do so following the games tutorial I was soon overwhelmed with useless information and I wasn't able to find the weapons that had to be removed and replaced and when I asked for Help in the Chat Forum I was following the instructions and my Ship was Consequently attacked and Destroyed while I was simply trying to get some Knowledge to help me continue. The Player Chat was hostile and unhelpful. The Graphics do not live up to the Game Trailers I have seen recently. I finally found how to sign off and once I got signed off I deleted the game from my Computer. I will not ever try EVE again. As far as I am Concerned the Game is way overrated and impossible for any New Players to even Try to use, the community there is hostile to beginners and not helpful. I was deliberately directed into a Hostile Zone So my Ship could be used for target Practice. I abhor Cheaters and Liars. I am Sure that My opinion will not have much effect on the EVE Community as they are in my Humble Opinion just a Bunch of Losers who can't Participate in Real Life Social Situations and need to get Lives and Probably JOBS. If you are part of the Community and you feel that I have insulted you and hurt your Feelings well too bad. I will not Change my Statement because I hurt your Feelings and I will Not Apologize. To Summarize EVE is an Awful Game And the Community is the Worse of any game I have previously Played with the Possible Exception of War Thunder.

The tone of your post suggests to me you'd do well to avoid any game that allows relatively unconstrained PvP combat.
  • KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,109
    Ungood said:
    itchmon said:
    Ungood said:

Was the goal for EVE to have a comparable population to WoW? If so, then they did fail. If not, it isn't a measure of their success as it wasn't their goal to begin with.

What was CCP's goal, and how well did they do at achieving it. That to me would be a much better measure as the other discounts everything done by other than those operating at the most expansive level.
    tzervo said:
    Ungood said:

Oh and let's not forget BDO. Very much OW PVP, very much a success.
    BDO is atypical in my opinion. The whole time I played I was never attacked. I went about everywhere and traded peacefully. I honestly never felt I was in a PvP game. I think that game gave PvEers like me that best environment to thrive without worry.
    Ungood

tzervo said:
    kitarad said:
    tzervo said:
    Ungood said:

Oh and let's not forget BDO. Very much OW PVP, very much a success.
    BDO is atypical in my opinion. The whole time I played I was never attacked. I went about everywhere and traded peacefully. I honestly never felt I was in a PvP game. I think that game gave PvEers like me that best environment to thrive without worry.
    Same for me in EVE lately (more than a year iirc) while doing industrialism and L4 missions casually in high sec. That does not mean either of them is not a PVP game.

I have been killed in the past when doing low sec/WH exploration in EVE and I have been contested and killed repeatedly in BDO in grind hot spots. I have also been suicide ganked as a miner in mid to high sec systems in EVE (rarely) and killed outside of Heidel/Altinova randomly (again rarely).

Location is important. Other than that, the big difference between the two is the loot/loss mechanics. But they are both very much OW PVP Games.
    EvE has no level limits. In BDO you can only be attacked after a certain level has been reached. If you keep yourself below that level you're absolutely safe. Doubt one can say that about EvE.

edited October 2020
    tzervo said:
    kitarad said:
    EvE has no level limits. In BDO you can only be attacked after a certain level has been reached. If you keep yourself below that level you're absolutely safe. Doubt one can say that about EvE.
    And what percentage do you reckon stays at lvl 49? Probably a small percentage, same as that of EVE players that remain exclusively docked and do station trading, manufacturing, invention etc (which can actually be very profitable and which also cannot be attacked). And neither of these niche playstyles is significant enough to characterize either game differently.
    In BDO you can trade anywhere and use the nodes you have opened and I opened them even when the mobs were purple to me. I did die repeatedly to the mobs in some areas and had to get help to train them off but once opened my workers can go there. So a PvE player is absolutely safe in BDO and able to PvE to their heart's content and you cannot say that about EvE.

I am just pointing out why BDO might be even more successful due to the fact that PvE players are completely safe from PvP and able to go to any area. You get killed in EvE if you try a fraction of the stuff you can do in BDO.

You're looking at it from a PvP player's point of view whereas I am talking about it from a PvE player's point of view. 

While I may not have any hard stats on how many players stay at the safe level I doubt you do either. I can only speak for the other PvE players who have expressed their enjoyment of the game with regards to having the freedom to trade and farm, develop and progress in crafting, breeding and fishing in a game that also has PvP. The PvP has not adversely affected us as it would in EvE thus contributing to BDO's enormous success.
    Gdemami

edited October 2020
    tzervo said:
    kitarad said:

You're looking at it from a PvP player's point of view whereas I am talking about it from a PvE player's point of view. 
    I am not a PVP player. I am a PVE player who likes playing in both PVE and PVP games. As for the rest, that's moving goal posts. I am standing by my arguments so far, nothing more to say. Feel free to believe BDO is not an OW PVP game or it is atypical or any other euphimism you want to use :)
    Far from moving goal posts I merely expounded on the popularity of BDO.

Creating safe playing for PvE players is why BDO is successful. I would also argue that Archeage would also be very successful if it didn't have such ridiculous monetization and energy restrictions.
    Gdemami

edited October 2020
    As far as the mobs go BDO has pretty poor mobs. They just stand there they have very poor AI. The PvP however is dependent on how much money you sink into it. The RNG is brutal. Cannot really say how many players play the game for this aspect but it does seem lopsided.

I do know from this forum alone several posters who totally abhor the system in place for upgrading the gear. I doubt the PvP is that competitive given the system of upgrading is totally dpendent on how much money you sink into it.

However the trading, crafting, farming, fishing , horse breeding and exploration is exceptional in BDO. The life systems I think it is called.

That poll seems to support my view actually if the PvP and PvE are almost 50-50% that is indicative that an almost equal number of players love the game for the PvE. Thanks you for the supportive poll.
    Gdemami

• EldrachEldrach Member RarePosts: 406
    Logged, found out that you can’t actually fly your ship properly..logged off, deleted. Done
    Gdemami