Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The RPG Files: Ghost of Tsushima Review

13»

Comments

• blueturtle13blueturtle13 Member LegendaryPosts: 12,227
    edited July 26
    Aeander said:
    For all I've said on the game, there is something compelling about it, because I've finished most of the game. The PS4 doesn't track hours played that I'm aware of, but I played pretty much non-stop from Sunday-Wednesday.

I think that for everything the game does well, there's also a caveat. And because it does so many things well, I have a lot of good and bad to say.

The world is beautiful and expansive, but it's full of Ubisoft-style formulaic content.

The skill tree has quite a few fun things to play with, which is good. But it's one of those soft RPG systems where you eventually unlock everything and become a jack of all trades, which is bad.

The gear lets you define a playstyle, which is good. But the content often locks you into moments which require a gear swap (ie: swap to Samurai Clan Armor for boss battles), which is bad.

The story takes bold risks, but it only makes sense if you play Jin dishonorably/pragmatically like I have. If you choose to play Jin honorably, his later decisions are out of character. On the flip side, the game locks you into honorable duels with no way to cheat them if you happen to be playing Jin dishonorably.
    Yeah it tries to Ubisoft the gameplay loop but does not do it justice.
    I, as well as millions of others, very much enjoy the Ubisoft gameplay loop and they have perfected it per their respective franchises. This game makes a good go of it but lacks the freedom of gameplay choice that a Far Cry or Assassin's Creed does. Of course it falls way short of the stellar and genre defining Shadow of Mordor/War games or even another WB Games title Mad Max. (Which was almost criminally under-rated)   
    Overall the further I got into the game the more disappointed I became with it. 
    It is not a bad game it is just a good game.  My first impression score was a 7.5 out of 10.
    My finished game score is a 7 out of 10. 
    Get it on sale.  
    Asheram

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 3,503
    Aeander said:
    For all I've said on the game, there is something compelling about it, because I've finished most of the game. The PS4 doesn't track hours played that I'm aware of, but I played pretty much non-stop from Sunday-Wednesday.

I think that for everything the game does well, there's also a caveat. And because it does so many things well, I have a lot of good and bad to say.

The world is beautiful and expansive, but it's full of Ubisoft-style formulaic content.

The skill tree has quite a few fun things to play with, which is good. But it's one of those soft RPG systems where you eventually unlock everything and become a jack of all trades, which is bad.

The gear lets you define a playstyle, which is good. But the content often locks you into moments which require a gear swap (ie: swap to Samurai Clan Armor for boss battles), which is bad.

The story takes bold risks, but it only makes sense if you play Jin dishonorably/pragmatically like I have. If you choose to play Jin honorably, his later decisions are out of character. On the flip side, the game locks you into honorable duels with no way to cheat them if you happen to be playing Jin dishonorably.
    I, as well as millions of others, very much enjoy the Ubisoft gameplay loop and they have perfected it per their respective franchises. This game makes a good go of it but lacks the freedom of gameplay choice that a Far Cry or Assassin's Creed does. Of course it falls way short of the stellar and genre defining Shadow of Mordor/War games or even another WB Games title Mad Max. (Which was almost criminally under-rated)   
    It is not a bad game it is just a good game.  My first impression score was a 7.5 out of 10.
    Get it on sale.  
    Together with “Citizensplaining” “Ubisofting the gameplay” is the best phrase of the year, so recognizable.

I must ask though, is it Ubisofting the old way, or is it Ubisofting the new way? Because I hated what Ubisoft did for many years and only with AC: Odyssey and Division 2 did their games gain identity and fun again (for me of course).

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member RarePosts: 4,418

Wizardry said:

I watched several review videos and i got a very clear picture something sketchy is going on.

There is a very clear and present accent on the "looks great" the "atmosphere" is great.There are times when you can just tell someone is exaggerating to be a shill and i got that feeling often

from all reviewers.

It is tough in an internet chat box to fully explain the why and why not's in deciphering chit chat and the game.

So before i try and explain why i think the game is an absolute sham,i truly got the feeling either Sony or Sucker Punch really got some shills on board to hype their half assed game.

The world:predominantly empty,boring.

hand holding/immersion breaker:The obvious reason for them to guide you directly to where you need to go,the world is boring.

When your world is mostly empty it is a heck of a lot easier to exaggerate the flowing grass animations and blowing leaves,a LOT easier.All that sea of white flowers or red flowers is actually easier on the rendering.Point is that even the constant theme of promoting the "world looks great"is exaggerated.

Combat:can't hide bodies to avoid detection.We can do this in Dishonored but not in this game,more corner cutting.Combat is more like your Souls games,all about timing,either an easy stealth kill or counter your foes attacks with timing.

Character building,world life is very lackluster.Overall personally this game offers me nothing at all,nothing is well done.My take on the game's early hype,well Sucker Punch began marketing this 3 years ago,so they have spent a lot of money to make sure this half assed game gets more hype than it deserves.

3/10 =not worth playing,not worth buying.

This aged like milk lol.

This guy is never happy though.
  • blueturtle13blueturtle13 Member LegendaryPosts: 12,227
    lahnmir said:
    Aeander said:

Get it on sale.  
    Together with “Citizensplaining” “Ubisofting the gameplay” is the best phrase of the year, so recognizable.

I must ask though, is it Ubisofting the old way, or is it Ubisofting the new way? Because I hated what Ubisoft did for many years and only with AC: Odyssey and Division 2 did their games gain identity and fun again (for me of course).

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Like the Ubisofting the newer way. I mean the ability to play the way you want based on the weapon you wield I believe is better realized in the newer AC games as well as Far Cry or of course in the WB Games LOTR Shadow of series. I agree with the newer AC games bringing the series up to date in a way that feels fresh and welcome. This game feels it tries to go for that feel but just comes across a bit flat in execution. Just imho of course.  
    lahnmir

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 2,552
    edited July 27
    lahnmir said:
    Aeander said:

Get it on sale.  

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Its a little bit like the newer AC games but with less grinding and possibly more focus. You are role playing a samurai so you only use a katana and a bow, but for various reasons you will be forced to learn some sneaky/assassination-type skills.

The Japanese voice acting of the main character is done by the person who plays Zoro from the anime One Piece, which I think is really fitting.
  • AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 4,206
    YashaX said:
    lahnmir said:
    Aeander said:

Get it on sale.  

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Its a little bit like the newer AC games but with less grinding and possibly more focus. You are role playing a samurai so you only use a katana and a bow, but for various reasons you will be forced to learn some sneaky/assassination-type skills.

The Japanese voice acting of the main character is done by the person who plays Zoro from the anime One Piece, which I think is really fitting.
    He also voiced Mugen from Samauri Champloo.
    YashaX
  • YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 2,552
    I'm about halfway through Act 2 now and I think this is one of the best games I have ever played. The game mechanics are superb, the main quest is really engaging, the major characters are interesting- as are their quests. And it all meshes together so well.

I have people sitting next to me while I am playing saying "oh my god that's beautiful", "wow that combat is insane", and there are times in the game where everything just all builds up to these amazing climatic moments. So good.