Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can we please have a good sci-fi mmorpg?

Comments

• BabuinixBabuinix Member EpicPosts: 2,867
    edited June 29
    Nilden said:
    CDProject is one of the very, very few companies I would be excited about making an MMO.

Activision, Electronic Arts, Perfect World, Bethesda, Ubisoft, Tencent, Gamingo, Daybreak, Take 2 etc etc etc... I don't see anything good coming from any of these scumbag corporations. They care more about money than human rights, employees, working conditions, or making a good game.

There's a generalized big crunch culture across all AAA studios as games get more and more complex to make and the market more competitive. There's always a huge push for transcending what was done before, to push for graphics, animations, fidelity etc etc.

It's the nature of the beast, still things look to be starting to change in terms of awareness and how much dev's have to suffer to make video-games possible within budgets/time restraints.
    NildenKyleranGdemami
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 6,103
    NO! Why should Sci-Fi get a "good" MMORPG when the rest of the genre is suffering? :lol:

Seriously, it would be nice to see more (some?) variety in MMORPG settings.

I believe we are in the graphics trump gameplay with unlimited spending (cash shops) era, currently.

I watched a few of the Summer Games Fest broadcasts and every game had a "Looks pretty!" comment, with little gameplay commenting...

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• AAAMEOWAAAMEOW Member RarePosts: 1,335
    Babuinix said:
    Nilden said:
    CDProject is one of the very, very few companies I would be excited about making an MMO.

Activision, Electronic Arts, Perfect World, Bethesda, Ubisoft, Tencent, Gamingo, Daybreak, Take 2 etc etc etc... I don't see anything good coming from any of these scumbag corporations. They care more about money than human rights, employees, working conditions, or making a good game.

CDProject Red most likely have worse working condition due to where the company is located.  Most likely the US company pays more to their employee too.
    GdemamiBrotherMaynard
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,071
    Babuinix said:
    Nilden said:

Oh.... well shit.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 3,436
    AAAMEOW said:
    Babuinix said:
    Nilden said:

CDProject Red most likely have worse working condition due to where the company is located.  Most likely the US company pays more to their employee too.
    Fun fact, the minimum wage in Poland is 611 euro’s a month and in the USA its 1032 euro’s. Cost of living in the USA is more than double, on average, that of Poland. So down the line you are probably better of in Poland. Generally speaking of course.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Iselinstrawhat0981KyleranGdemamiBrotherMaynardAlBQuirky
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• TillerTiller Member EpicPosts: 8,675
    edited June 29
    Everyone forget about Beyond Good and Evil 2 ? The reason it's release is pushed out is because they are adding MMORPG elements.

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,029
    It's a shame really, as there are so many sci'fi books and media out there which could be made into a game. Something more than a soulless, endlessly unfinished, pew pew mining game.
    MendelremsleepPo_ggOG_ZorvanAlBQuirky

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• MendelMendel Member EpicPosts: 3,735
    Amathe said:
    It's a shame really, as there are so many sci'fi books and media out there which could be made into a game. Something more than a soulless, endlessly unfinished, pew pew mining game.

I really don't like games where I am basically a ship, and that is what most SF games feel like to me.  A good SF story is going to encourage the reader think about something differently, not how much space minerals they can gather.

KyleranOG_ZorvanAlBQuirky

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member EpicPosts: 7,467
    I can play No Man's Sky with others and it scratches that itch for me. It has turned into the best Sci-Fi game I have ever played. 

I still haven't tried that yet...i just figured the other player(s) would come and kill me......
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 28,264
    Nilden said:
    Babuinix said:
    Nilden said:

Oh.... well shit.

Well, essentially no company is perfect.

My current company is the best company I've ever worked for but some of the, in my opinion, bonehead ideas that have been mandated just make life ridiculous.

As far as "crunch," again, my current company gives a LOT more time off than most American companies and touts work/life balance as being a core pillar of our experience but the higher level people work all the time. Holiday? They are checking e-mails and making decisions.

I've never seen a company where, if you want to rise higher and higher, you didn't become a "company man."

Should companies always be there for their employees and should everyone be valued and given the tools they need and "taken care of?" Sure!

But it's not going to be perfect as people aren't perfect, we get egos, we get people who easily want to give their lives to their "mission" and then others who just want to do their 8 hours.

I'll tell you this, I've never seen anything amazing done where someone just gives their 8 hours and goes home.

Maybe the time to create something could be lengthened so we can have more 8 hour days but longer development time.

But maybe that's not financially sustainable. The answer of course is "better management/time management" but it seems that with every developer that is easier said than done.
    AlBQuirky

• blueturtle13blueturtle13 Member LegendaryPosts: 12,155
    I can play No Man's Sky with others and it scratches that itch for me. It has turned into the best Sci-Fi game I have ever played. 

I still haven't tried that yet...i just figured the other player(s) would come and kill me......
    You can set your game so you play alone. Though this is not a pvp game. There is no point to doing it so no one really does. I have played since launch and have never been attacked. I mean I usually play alone on PC other than the time I played with Torval. 
    On Xbox I play open and never been attacked. It is played as a co-op game. Pvp players would not get really anything out of a game like NMS 
    AlBQuirky

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• remsleepremsleep Member UncommonPosts: 195
    Mendel said:
    remsleep said:
    I would just like to see another good mmorpg period at this point.

I think all the best mmorpgs I played were back in 1998-2006 time period.

We certainly got better looking games so yes the graphics improved - example Black Desert Online, but the gameplay has not outmatched what we had back 15 years ago in my opinion.

I cant think of a single newer mmorpg that has better gameplay than SWG, AC1, EQ1, UO, EVE - all these launched prior to 2004.

Seems like the depth of gameplay simply isnt a priority anymore - as the devs are more focused on monetization and slick graphics than creating mmorpgs that have enough meat to keep players hooked for years with gameplay not cash shops

Companies with money have no desire to deviate from proven ideas.  Companies with a desire to innovate have no money.  I question the ability of either group to actually create new ideas or concepts.  No company has seriously questioned the concepts introduced by D&D in 1972.

Therefore, we tend to get games with a huge dose of deja vu.  Graphics have won the battle of 'graphics vs. gameplay' and cash shops drive the ledger sheets.  People spend so much on pregame sales (through crowdfunding, 'donations' and the like) that there is less pressure on companies produce quality games in a timely manner.  Innovation requires money and skill; companies don't want to spend the money and true creative people with the skills to achieve are rare and expensive.

This is why I though Amazon Game studios had an amazing opportunity to deliver a truly great product.

1. They have money
    2. They have top talent

However so far everything I've seen from them has been sub par at best.

Such a damn shame that again management at Amazon is so piss poor

MendelOG_ZorvanGdemamiAlBQuirky
  • remsleepremsleep Member UncommonPosts: 195
    edited June 29
    Sovrath said:
    Nilden said:
    Babuinix said:
    Nilden said:

Oh.... well shit.

My current company is the best company I've ever worked for but some of the, in my opinion, bonehead ideas that have been mandated just make life ridiculous.

As far as "crunch," again, my current company gives a LOT more time off than most American companies and touts work/life balance as being a core pillar of our experience but the higher level people work all the time. Holiday? They are checking e-mails and making decisions.

I've never seen a company where, if you want to rise higher and higher, you didn't become a "company man."

Should companies always be there for their employees and should everyone be valued and given the tools they need and "taken care of?" Sure!

But it's not going to be perfect as people aren't perfect, we get egos, we get people who easily want to give their lives to their "mission" and then others who just want to do their 8 hours.

I'll tell you this, I've never seen anything amazing done where someone just gives their 8 hours and goes home.

Maybe the time to create something could be lengthened so we can have more 8 hour days but longer development time.

But maybe that's not financially sustainable. The answer of course is "better management/time management" but it seems that with every developer that is easier said than done.

The main problem with every company (at least in US) is that you will hear CEOs say at every company meeting how employees are the most important asset - but yet they do very little in terms of benefits and employment security to actually mean that.

It is such a dishonest doublespeak- to the point where I've even heard how reducing staff will be in the best interest of employees - like how the fuck can anyone say this with a straight face?

Corporate America is so slimy- it's all about company first - all this shit about employees being the #1 asset is a total lie - dont ever believe that the company has your interests first, they simply dont

Companies often demand employees loyalty but will do nothing to stay loyal in return as they simply will try to pay as little as possible and will look to get as much work as possible in return 
    KyleranGdemamiBabuinixAlBQuirkyTuor7
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,156
    Amathe said:
    Soulless, pew pew mining game... sounds like Funcom's Dune version  :smiley:

I'd cast an another mention to AO, STO and SWTOR. Wildstar was fun too while lasted.
    EVE, if you don't mind pvp and backstabbing. Tabula Rasa was an interesting concept (at that time), and Auto Assault was a really good game too.

As Nilden said, they're old and/or cancelled. That's just how the genre is nowadays.
    Fun fact, the three above were all axed by Ncsoft...
  • ArteriusArterius Member EpicPosts: 2,759
    edited June 29
    Nilden said:
    Kyleran said:
    Nilden said:
    A good MMORPG in general is 

Maybe Cyberpunk 2077 will be such a huge hit that they will want to make an MMORPG.
    Well, I was reading somewhere they have plans for very solid multiplayer, almost a different game really, perhaps releasing around 2022 or so.

Hell game monetization is an actual job now. The industry is at the bottom of the cash shop slippery slope and it's an absolute cesspool.

Oh and 4 players well hell that's pretty much an MMO nowadays.
    To be fair I think that is what Cyberpunk's multiplayer game is going to be. A division style game. They are calling it a AAA multiplayer game not a MMO. I would be shocked if they announce this thing after Cyberpunk 2077 and talk about hundrends of people running around night city or whatever. Plus, it would run on consoles. No way CDPR is making a multiplayer game to Cyberpunk and not wanting it on PS5, Xbox Series X, and PC.

So I don't expect a full blown MMO. However, if there is anyone I trust to make a great Live Service game its CDPR and I would expect them to still make Cyberpunk 2078 with expansions and the like still. CDPR is very vocal about the terrible state of AAA devs and MTX. So I think if they did put MTX in a multiplayer game, which I figure they will, then I could see them charging less for it and using that money to make Cyberpunk 2078 in good faith.

I honestly see a future where they announce the multiplayer and then maybe six months to a year later in late 2021 they announce Cyberpunk 2078. Making sure people realize its single player and will still be getting free DLC and paid expansions as the norm. I think CDPR very much likes being seen favorably by gamers. It's good for them PR wise if anything else.

Edit: I know people may think thats a fast turn around between Cyberpunk 2077 and then annoucing Cyberpunk 2078 but I think with how much they have pushing the Cyberpunk IP that they will be pushing for a sequel pretty quickly. Plus they can announce it in 2021 and release it in 2025 or later if rumors about a new Withcer game is true. CDPR is not shy with revealing a game way to early.
    Currently playing: Outer Worlds (Xbox One X)

Currently Reading: Skaven Slayer (Gotrek and Felix Book 2)

Currently Writing: Champions of Legend Book 1 (3rd Draft)

Currently Watching: Oz (Season 4), Soprano's (Season 1)

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 28,264
    edited June 29
    remsleep said:

The main problem with every company (at least in US) is that you will hear CEOs say at every company meeting how employees are the most important asset - but yet they do very little in terms of benefits and employment security to actually mean that.

It is such a dishonest doublespeak- to the point where I've even heard how reducing staff will be in the best interest of employees - like how the fuck can anyone say this with a straight face?

Corporate America is so slimy- it's all about company first - all this shit about employees being the #1 asset is a total lie - dont ever believe that the company has your interests first, they simply dont

Companies often demand employees loyalty but will do nothing to stay loyal in return as they simply will try to pay as little as possible and will look to get as much work as possible in return 

That's true, companies do want employer loyalty but will shed employees as they need.

Going back to my company, they epitomize this. They do treat their employees very well right up to the time they get rid of them.

There's a young guy who was recently laid off because of changes in his department. While he is bummed they gave him a generous severance package so it is one way to at least mitigate his unemployment.

but lets look at another country. In Japan you have job security. However they expect you to WORK. Leaving work at 11:30 am is not uncommon. And it's expected. You "could" leave earlier but it's not looked at well.

Another thing you are expected to do is go where the company tells you. So a person could be in one city and their company will tell them "you will go to x city until we say otherwise." And you do. That's what is expected.

So I'm sure every country has it's pros and cons when it comes to employment. Ideally, we should all be working at things we love. If I was working at "my love" I would be putting in MORE than 8 hours per day I can tell you that.

But most people don't work at their passion.

On topic, "sure" I'd take a good sci-fi mmorpg if it was done to my taste. My taste is usually Fantasy/medieval in most games. But if the sci-fi was unique I'd be in.

At least for a bit. I tend to quit sci-fi games unless they are 4X games.

AlBQuirky

• kitaradkitarad Member EpicPosts: 5,743
    edited June 29
    Farscape MMORPG I'd pay a lot to play in that world. Such a fantastic under watched series. Murderbot too. Martha Wells did a great job with creation of the Murderbot. Everything about that series of books rocked.

Reality is MMORPGs are expensive so forget it I guess.
    KyleranAmatheAlBQuirkyNyghthowler

• MendelMendel Member EpicPosts: 3,735
    remsleep said:
    Mendel said:
    remsleep said:

We certainly got better looking games so yes the graphics improved - example Black Desert Online, but the gameplay has not outmatched what we had back 15 years ago in my opinion.

I cant think of a single newer mmorpg that has better gameplay than SWG, AC1, EQ1, UO, EVE - all these launched prior to 2004.

Seems like the depth of gameplay simply isnt a priority anymore - as the devs are more focused on monetization and slick graphics than creating mmorpgs that have enough meat to keep players hooked for years with gameplay not cash shops

Companies with money have no desire to deviate from proven ideas.  Companies with a desire to innovate have no money.  I question the ability of either group to actually create new ideas or concepts.  No company has seriously questioned the concepts introduced by D&D in 1972.

Therefore, we tend to get games with a huge dose of deja vu.  Graphics have won the battle of 'graphics vs. gameplay' and cash shops drive the ledger sheets.  People spend so much on pregame sales (through crowdfunding, 'donations' and the like) that there is less pressure on companies produce quality games in a timely manner.  Innovation requires money and skill; companies don't want to spend the money and true creative people with the skills to achieve are rare and expensive.

This is why I though Amazon Game studios had an amazing opportunity to deliver a truly great product.

1. They have money
    2. They have top talent

However so far everything I've seen from them has been sub par at best.

Such a damn shame that again management at Amazon is so piss poor

I would suggest that Amazon certainly has talent capable of duplicating past game's successes.  It may be a bit early to include "innovation" as an accomplishment, though.
    For a company to deliver something truly new, unique and creative, it has to have support from the creative talent and the management that has the commitment to back it.  Amazon leaves me with questions about their management.  And that may be their weak point, as far as game development goes.

But I do agree that Amazon hasn't performed yet.

blueturtle13remsleepAlBQuirkyOG_Zorvan

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• cameltosiscameltosis Member EpicPosts: 2,496
    My preference is still for a good high-fantasy MMORPG, we haven't had a good one (or at least one suited to my needs) for too many years now.

However, what I'd be looking for in a sci-fi MMORPG:

1) Primarily ground-based
    I like being a character, not a machine, so I'd want the game to be ground-based. Plenty of studies have shown that players feel a greater connection to a character than they do to machines - this is one of the main reasons why humans are always so prominent in RPGs.

2) Tab-target / character-skill based combat with depth
    Depth in a system increases mental engagement, increases the chances of emergent gameplay and so increases retention. I want my game to last, so shallow action combat is a no-go. In addition, the input devices we all have (kb&m or controller) are too simplistic to achieve the sorts of moves I'd want to do, so I'd rather have a large suite of skills that can perform those moves instead.

3) Prominence of guns
    I am primarily a melee player, but its an undeniable fact of war that being able to kill people from a distance is better than killing people face to face. So, I would want my sci-fi game to be based around guns and not to try to shoe-horn in melee professions. Lazers and projectiles will beat swords and knives.

4) A cover system
    Alonside the prominence of guns, I'd want to have a good cover system in the game. Humans have been smart enough to not stand in the open during a firefight for centuries now, yet so many gun-based games still have us standing around in the open shooting at each other. Its dumb. If possible, I'd like to see this cover system combined with some great movement and verticality so that positioning is more important, varied and enjoyable.

5) A sense of exploration / establishing a presence
    One of my favourite themes from sci-fi books and series is the sense that the universe / galaxy is massive and therefore if we search/work hard enough, we can find our place. Whether it's firefly keeping their own independent business running, or the First Foundation learning how to stand on it's own two feet after teh fall of the empire in Asimov's saga, or the locals fighting for independence in Dune, I just love that feeling of finding your own place. Plus, in a sci-fi universe, theres a ton of opportunity for creativity, so I want to explore and see some awesome shit.

6) Sandpark Design
    A themepark design is destined to be short-lived. Being based around a story with a linear, developer-dictated approach will always have an end, and a large proportion of players will quit when they reach the end. Combined with shallow gameplay, this is why so many current MMORPGs focus heavily on the churn and squeezing money out of players as quickly as possible.

So, I want a sandpark design - primarily a sandbox (player economy, player cities, pvp, territory control etc) so that we can set our own long-term goals and find our own preferred way to play. But, I recognise that many of us struggle to set our own goals, plus plenty of players enjoy a story, so I'd still want some themepark elements. These would be primarily to introduce players to the various systems in the game (something sandboxes are traditionally shit at) plus some interesting, standalone storylines spread through the game. This would be similar to the rebel and imperial themeparks inside of SWG.

7) Non-dystopian setting
    In line with designing a new MMORPG that aims to retain players long term, I want the world(s) to be varied, and primarily brighter / more inviting. Dystopian settings are always really dark and gritty, fun for 30 hours but depressing as fuck after 500 hours. I want the game to be inviting and to stimulate that sense of wonder in players.

My preferred IP would still be star wars, I love that universe and think there is so much it could provide us with. However, EA sucks, they're incapable of making good games (swtor isn't even an mmorpg!), so I have no hope of seeing another SW mmorpg in my lifetime.

Farscape, as someone mentioned above, would be pretty cool. Just ignore the main characters and use the universe, plenty of shit to do there.

The Saga of Seven Suns has a pretty good universe too. Not many aliens, but plenty of planets, interesting tech etc.

Asimov's Foundation Saga would also be pretty cool. All human-based, but massive civilisation thats in the process of collapsing, so plenty of opportunity to let the devs do whatever they want really (especially as the books cover 1000 years of history, so easy to pick a point between books and just let us loose).

The Expanse could be fun too, but the books and tv show are really all about flying in space, the ground based stuff is really just a lot of politics, not a great basis for a game.

In terms of devs, CDPR would be (imo) a poor choice for a sci-fi MMO. CDPR are a single-player developer with a focus on story. That is a terrible place to start from! Most of the mechanics that make sense and are familiar in a single player RPG are terrible and cause loads of problems in a persistent multiplayer game (best example: bioware and swtor).

Given the lack of good MMORPGs out there right now, I can't suggest a preferred company. I think it would need to be a new company, comprised of industry vets. But they all seem to be busy making crowd-funded games.
    blueturtle13AlBQuirkyOG_ZorvanMendelkitarad
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member EpicPosts: 7,467

You can set your game so you play alone. Though this is not a pvp game. There is no point to doing it so no one really does. I have played since launch and have never been attacked. I mean I usually play alone on PC other than the time I played with Torval. 
    On Xbox I play open and never been attacked. It is played as a co-op game. Pvp players would not get really anything out of a game like NMS 

Yeah I tried it a couple times on Co-op..The last time the other guy came twoards the planet I was on, had no idea what he was going to do so I logged out before he could reach me lol. I know its not PVP oriented but I was under the impression that another player could kill us.
  • AAAMEOWAAAMEOW Member RarePosts: 1,335
    lahnmir said:
    AAAMEOW said:
    Babuinix said:
    Nilden said:

Fun fact, the minimum wage in Poland is 611 euro’s a month and in the USA its 1032 euro’s. Cost of living in the USA is more than double, on average, that of Poland. So down the line you are probably better of in Poland. Generally speaking of course.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    You can live a minimalist life.

You can choose to never eat out, don't go to college.  But essential things like health care is still very expensive.
  • TeakStrangiatoTeakStrangiato Member UncommonPosts: 32
    Rhoklaw said:
    remsleep said:

I think ArcheAge was a masterpiece, riddled with unbelievable stupid management.

Labor points is the worst design mechanic I have ever heard of.  Its like those mobile games with stamina.  Its sold as a mechanism to keep people on equal ground or limit grinding, but its really only ever a monetary gimmick.

I'll also never again play a game without either PvE servers or a PvE/PvP toggle and no PvE related character progression, materials, or gear gated behind PvP.  

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 6,103
    edited June 30
    Sovrath said:
    Nilden said:
    Babuinix said:
    Nilden said:

Oh.... well shit.

Well said!

Also, any gamer who "wants that new game NOW!!!!!!!!!!!11!!!" has no room to complain about "crunchtime", in my opinion. They are the cause of it, ie: deadlines.
    Kyleran

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• jerrywowjerrywow Newbie CommonPosts: 22
    Seems it's hard to say that i'm playing FO76....
  • OG_ZorvanOG_Zorvan Member EpicPosts: 2,175

Asimov's Foundation Saga would also be pretty cool. All human-based, but massive civilisation thats in the process of collapsing, so plenty of opportunity to let the devs do whatever they want really (especially as the books cover 1000 years of history, so easy to pick a point between books and just let us loose).

Oh, my god, yes! So nice to see a fellow Asimov aficionado here. I'd love The Foundation Trilogy in game form. Honestly, I'd love games based on just about any Asimov premise. He was so damn thorough in detail even in his short stories. Arthur C. Clarke would be another one with quite a few plots that would make wonderful games.
    MendelAlBQuirky

MMORPG.COM took away my swinging cheerleader butt .gif.