Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can we please have a good sci-fi mmorpg?

OG_ZorvanOG_Zorvan Member EpicPosts: 2,175
edited June 29 in The Pub at MMORPG.COM
Cyberpunk 2077, Deus Ex, Mass Effect, Outer Worlds. So many good singleplayer sci-fi rpgs, yet with mmorpgs we get stuck with "Here's a spaceship, enjoy." I've been playing Ghost Recon: Breakpoint ( no, not an mmorpg but it could be with minimal tweaks ) and thinking "What if this had a cyberpunk or even steampunk setting and style? Or post-apoacalyptic ( fuck you, Fallout 76 )? Maybe an alternate historical timeline ( fuck you again, Fallout 76 )? Something beyond sword and board, magic, or the current fad of rock mining simulators with spacehips. Never getting an Anarchy Online 2, but can noone think outside the damn fantasy box any more? I'd even take a new Neocron or The Matrix, if it were made by someone competent. Just something.

MMORPG.COM took away my swinging cheerleader butt .gif.

AlBQuirky

Comments

• ArteriusArterius Member EpicPosts: 2,759
    edited June 29
    I would love for Cyberpunk 2077 Multiplayer to be just a small scale MMO experience. Not like GTA 5 but have massive story quests, side quests, maybe some dungeons, and a raid. I think people are thinking the multiplayer game is going to be a cash grab, it don't  think it will be, but from everything they have said the multiplayer game is going to be a feature rich experience. 

Do I think their will be a cosmetic store in the multiplayer option... of course..
    OG_ZorvanIselin
    Currently playing: Outer Worlds (Xbox One X)

Currently Reading: Skaven Slayer (Gotrek and Felix Book 2)

Currently Writing: Champions of Legend Book 1 (3rd Draft)

Currently Watching: Oz (Season 4), Soprano's (Season 1)

• RemaliRemali Member UncommonPosts: 444
    I would love a good sci fi mmo too.Remember the dream? World Of Starcraft ...yeah too bad
    OG_ZorvanKyleranstrawhat0981
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 35,982
    I dunno, SC, DU, both in alpha.

Or play FO76 like I do ...

;)
    OG_ZorvanSandmanjwsumdumguy1

"See normal people, I'm not one of them" | G-Easy & Big Sean

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing FO76 at the moment.

Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Panzerbeorne39Panzerbeorne39 Member UncommonPosts: 202
    Wildstar could’ve been it but they went with a cartoony silly art style instead of something for adults. I too dream of having a legit sci fi mmo that isn’t just an empty grind like ED or EVE. I want to fly my ship around, maybe pirate some loot from a freighter, jump to a fence planet to offload my loot and spend the night in a brothel with a alien hooker with three boobs. Is that too much to ask?!? 
    OG_ZorvanIselinGdemamiKyleranBabuinixAlBQuirkystrawhat0981sumdumguy1Tuor7
  • OG_ZorvanOG_Zorvan Member EpicPosts: 2,175
    edited June 29
    Kyleran said:

;)
    I won't even bother with why SC doesn't interest me. Dual Universe might be good, someday. But the art style is really generic, and most of the buildings and vehicles look like they just slapped in the models without any textures. There's really no "soul" or even true style in the game right now, and gameplay wise it's not any different from SC, Elite, or most other "4x" space games outside of the construction bit. It mainly appears to me to just be Minecraft slapped into the X series. Honestly, I don't expect it to last long once Elite gets more features such as space legs. Especially if the rumors of being able to build on planets turns out to be true, but who knows right now.

Oh, and fuck you Fallout 76.
    IselinGdemamiKylerandragonlee66sumdumguy1

MMORPG.COM took away my swinging cheerleader butt .gif.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 14,175
    Arterius said:
    I would love for Cyberpunk 2077 Multiplayer to be just a small scale MMO experience. Not like GTA 5 but have massive story quests, side quests, maybe some dungeons, and a raid. I think people are thinking the multiplayer game is going to be a cash grab, it don't  think it will be, but from everything they have said the multiplayer game is going to be a feature rich experience. 

Do I think their will be a cosmetic store in the multiplayer option... of course..
    Yup a CDPR style MMO in the CP2077 universe would be great.

I don't want yet another story-poor ("but you can make your own story"... yeah right) scifi sandbox.

CDPR shines at telling stories. They'd be my top choice for a studio I would want to make one. 
    OG_Zorvan
    “Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

"... the "influencers" which is the tech name we call sell outs now..."
    __ Wizardry, 2020
  • TeakStrangiatoTeakStrangiato Member UncommonPosts: 32
    Kyleran said:

;)
    I wouldnt call SC a true MMORPG.  Its a space sim first and foremost.

I would think of AO and SWG as the biggest examples of Sci Fi MMORPGs.
    AO is extremely dated and always had issues anyway, and SWG was, well, SWG.
    And of course there is SWTOR, but...yeah.  Moving on...

There isn't currently a good Sci Fi themed MMORPG thats not centered around space ships.

But to be fair there hasn't been a good MMORPG of any kind released in 5 years or so.  The genre is in pathetic shape right now.
    KyleranOG_Zorvandragonlee66strawhat0981
  • RhoklawRhoklaw Member EpicPosts: 6,958
    Well, the new DUNE MMO from FunCom is probably not going to be as MMO as we'd have liked and more Survival instead. Still, I enjoyed Conan Exiles quite a bit, so even though it may not be a true MMO in the sense, I still think it could end up being a fun and engaging multiplayer Sci Fi.
    OG_Zorvan

• ArteriusArterius Member EpicPosts: 2,759
    so @Iselin I been going off memory a lot lately and been getting things mixed up so I decided to look into this and this project may be bigger then I thought. For one thing they are no longer calling it DLC but it's own AAA experience that they are building alongside Cyberpunk 2077. It did get pushed back to 2022 at the moment and knowing CDPR it won't be at till 2023 at best.

https://www.gamesradar.com/cyberpunk-2077-multiplayer-release-date/

Some highlights from article..

"In terms of multiplayer, one thing we need to make clear is the triple-A release we're working on in parallel with CP2077 is Cyberpunk multiplayer," said CD Projekt publishing head Michal Nowakowski. "So that's the first thing to say, and I think [president Adam Kicinski] was alluding to this, that things are going to be moving. Given the expected release of Cyberpunk 2077 in September, and frankly speaking the series of events which we expect to occur after that date, 2021 appears unlikely as a release date for the Cyberpunk multiplayer"

"Currently we are working on Cyberpunk and the multiplayer as the next big game," Nowakowski said later in the call. "The triple-A release we are working on is Cyberpunk multiplayer. We are trying to be as clear as possible in this regard. The date we're releasing Cyberpunk multiplayer - I mean, that's a code name for it - will probably move out of 2021."

KyleranOG_ZorvanAlBQuirkystrawhat0981
    Currently playing: Outer Worlds (Xbox One X)

Currently Reading: Skaven Slayer (Gotrek and Felix Book 2)

Currently Writing: Champions of Legend Book 1 (3rd Draft)

Currently Watching: Oz (Season 4), Soprano's (Season 1)

Forgot to mention, what about Star Trek Online?

Even has a ground game, or so I have been told.

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing FO76 at the moment.

Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 6,391
    My opinion,
    Harder to make pleasing looking graphics.  They always look like deserts of ugly looking yellow orange or purple colors. 

Limited amount of classes along with limited weapon styles. 

Everything about creativity is limited.  
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member EpicPosts: 7,467
    Kyleran said:
    Forgot to mention, what about Star Trek Online?

Even has a ground game, or so I have been told.

You know it's a bad game when even the Trekkies don't care for it.
    dragonlee66KyleranOG_ZorvanNyghthowler
  • remsleepremsleep Member UncommonPosts: 195
    edited June 29
    I would just like to see another good mmorpg period at this point.

I think all the best mmorpgs I played were back in 1998-2006 time period.

We certainly got better looking games so yes the graphics improved - example Black Desert Online, but the gameplay has not outmatched what we had back 15 years ago in my opinion.

I cant think of a single newer mmorpg that has better gameplay than SWG, AC1, EQ1, UO, EVE - all these launched prior to 2004.

Seems like the depth of gameplay simply isnt a priority anymore - as the devs are more focused on monetization and slick graphics than creating mmorpgs that have enough meat to keep players hooked for years with gameplay not cash shops
    KyleranOG_ZorvanMendelNildenAlBQuirkystrawhat0981
  • RhoklawRhoklaw Member EpicPosts: 6,958
    remsleep said:

We certainly got better looking games so yes the graphics improved - example Black Desert Online, but the gameplay has not outmatched what we had back 15 years ago in my opinion.

I cant think of a single newer mmorpg that has better gameplay than SWG, AC1, EQ1, UO, EVE - all these launched prior to 2004.

Seems like the depth of gameplay simply isnt a priority anymore - as the devs are more focused on monetization and slick graphics than creating mmorpgs that have enough meat to keep players hooked for years with gameplay not cash shops
    I think ArcheAge was a masterpiece, riddled with unbelievable stupid management.
    strawhat0981remsleepGdemami

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,071
    A good MMORPG in general is probably about as likely as laying a golden egg.

This genre and gaming in general has been ruined by corporate greed. I have little hope in any of the kickstarters or indie projects but that's probably where we will see some actual passion for making a game.

It's pretty obvious after Diablo Immoral that these companies would rather make gatcha mobile crap that makes money. The MMORPG genre is in a sad sorry state when it comes to any new games.

You only have to look as far as Star Citizen to see that there is some serious money behind making this happen.

Maybe Cyberpunk 2077 will be such a huge hit that they will want to make an MMORPG.
    OG_ZorvanAlBQuirkyTuor7

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

• blueturtle13blueturtle13 Member LegendaryPosts: 12,155
    I can play No Man's Sky with others and it scratches that itch for me. It has turned into the best Sci-Fi game I have ever played. 
    dragonlee66KyleranOG_ZorvanAlBQuirkySovrath

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member EpicPosts: 8,056
    SWTOR, DCUO, EVE, 
  • UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 1,871
    SWG and Anarchy Online are both fantastic titles.
    OG_Zorvan
    I can play No Man's Sky with others and it scratches that itch for me. It has turned into the best Sci-Fi game I have ever played. 
    You know, I have to get back into NMS, how many friends can you group with these days?

edited June 29
    Nilden said:
    A good MMORPG in general is 

Maybe Cyberpunk 2077 will be such a huge hit that they will want to make an MMORPG.
    Well, I was reading somewhere they have plans for very solid multiplayer, almost a different game really, perhaps releasing around 2022 or so.

• blueturtle13blueturtle13 Member LegendaryPosts: 12,155
    Kyleran said:
    You know, I have to get back into NMS, how many friends can you group with these days?
    4 players per party. I think it is 32 people per star system 
    Kyleran

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• remsleepremsleep Member UncommonPosts: 195
    edited June 29
    Rhoklaw said:
    remsleep said:

I think ArcheAge was a masterpiece, riddled with unbelievable stupid management.

I really liked Alpha - yep that one was the exception,  it was as good as gen 1 mmorpgs.

- everything after that was a complete trainwreck that just kept getting worse.

Unchained I tried and was one of the biggest disappointments personally, dailies and just so many changes made the game shallow and so unsatisfying for me - they literally ruined a good thing they had.

As far as mismanagement goes - it was pretty epic - you take XLs greed combined with Trions cluelessness and now Gamigos incompetence - it's a case of what happens when morons get a hold of something precious and just utterly stomp it into the ground past the point of no return
    OG_ZorvanRhoklawKyleranGdemami
    It's pretty telling when people are mentioning games that are shut down or over 15 years old.
    AlBQuirkystrawhat0981Po_ggTuor7

• MendelMendel Member EpicPosts: 3,735
    remsleep said:

Companies with money have no desire to deviate from proven ideas.  Companies with a desire to innovate have no money.  I question the ability of either group to actually create new ideas or concepts.  No company has seriously questioned the concepts introduced by D&D in 1972.

Therefore, we tend to get games with a huge dose of deja vu.  Graphics have won the battle of 'graphics vs. gameplay' and cash shops drive the ledger sheets.  People spend so much on pregame sales (through crowdfunding, 'donations' and the like) that there is less pressure on companies produce quality games in a timely manner.  Innovation requires money and skill; companies don't want to spend the money and true creative people with the skills to achieve are rare and expensive.

AlBQuirkyKyleranremsleepGdemamiTuor7

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

Kyleran said:
    Nilden said:
    A good MMORPG in general is 

Well, I was reading somewhere they have plans for very solid multiplayer, almost a different game really, perhaps releasing around 2022 or so.

CDProject is one of the very, very few companies I would be excited about making an MMO.

Activision, Electronic Arts, Perfect World, Bethesda, Ubisoft, Tencent, Gamingo, Daybreak, Take 2 etc etc etc... I don't see anything good coming from any of these scumbag corporations. They care more about money than human rights, employees, working conditions, or making a good game.

Hell game monetization is an actual job now. The industry is at the bottom of the cash shop slippery slope and it's an absolute cesspool.

Oh and 4 players well hell that's pretty much an MMO nowadays.
    OG_Zorvan