Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Amazon's paying for youtube views to falsely inflate popularity of New World videos

remsleepremsleep Member UncommonPosts: 195
edited June 25 in The Pub at MMORPG.COM
The whole thing is summed up here

Hardly unexpected - but it shows that New World is not getting much organic traction with real playerbase

tzervo

Comments

• ShaniaRebornShaniaReborn Newbie CommonPosts: 7
    edited June 25
    Welcome to how sponsorship works.      
    Post edited by ShaniaReborn on
  • remsleepremsleep Member UncommonPosts: 195
    edited June 25
    Welcome to how sponsorship works.  Stop being a hater.  I get paid to stream games too.  July 23 you can choose to post all your hate for this game.  They are already tampering expectations.  They have already said the game is a work in progress and plan on monthly updates. The devs are very open about this.  Remsleep, what more do you want?  You can pre-order and test the game for a full 33 days before the release.  They don't charge you for the game until August 25th.  Of course they are going to have a crazy amount of ad videos, it is Amazon after all.  Honestly, you sound as if you are bitter because YOU are getting paid by them for your good word about the game.  It is simple, if you don't want to give your good review of the game, don't and don't get paid.  Your problem should be with yourself, not Amazon.        

I have no idea what you are talking about me being paid by amazon? I am a nobody - the video I linked is not mine. 

I don't stream, I don't post any videos anywhere so I have zero relevance to Amazon.

Interesting that you are not addressing the single most important issue in the video

namely - how Amazon is falsely generating millions of views on Youtube so to make it appear that the videos are super popular - the thing is those numbers are paid for "bot" views and not actual people

Also - you completely glossed over how Amazon is going out of their way to make sure there are no negative comments on ANY of their videos - because they want to suppress  the true state of the game right now - they are paying streamers to do what you are doing above - only highlighting the positives

Why?

Because they want to create fake hype by making it seem that a lot of people watch New World videos on Youtube (which is 100% false as proven above) - all to make pre-sales as high as possible.

it's a shitty tactic they are trying to pull - just to sucker folks into pre-ordering an unfinished mediocre game

if Amazon devoted all this attention into makeing New World an awesome game - they wouldn't have to do all this damage control and create fake hype - players would be creating the hype and talking how amazing of a game New World is
    IselinKyleranbcbullytzervoTimukasAlBQuirky
  • ArteriusArterius Member EpicPosts: 2,759
    I can't find anything else about this. I think this video is full of it. Just someone hating on the game
    Currently playing: Outer Worlds (Xbox One X)

Currently Reading: Skaven Slayer (Gotrek and Felix Book 2)

Currently Writing: Champions of Legend Book 1 (3rd Draft)

Currently Watching: Oz (Season 4), Soprano's (Season 1)

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 14,174
    It's pathetic, both that they're doing this and that it probably works.
    AlBQuirky
    “Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

"... the "influencers" which is the tech name we call sell outs now..."
    __ Wizardry, 2020
    edited June 25
    Arterius said:
    I can't find anything else about this. I think this video is full of it. Just someone hating on the game

go check the stats on the videos on youtube yourself - it's very obvious.

Really strange of you to look for some external validation instead of doing the check first hand yourself.

Strange times we live in.

Here is an obvious example of a video that has bot generated paid views:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VaR4R7FgB6A

850K views (in a week) - and only 3 comments.

Find another video that has 850K real people views and has only 3 comments (hint - it doesn't exist, because when 850K people watch a video, there's gonna be more than 3 that will actually say something)

So clearly - Amazon is trying to make it seem like New World videos are super popular and watched by a lot of people - so that they create the same FOMO effect that made people go nuts and start buying toilet paper when the pandemic first swept through the world a couple months ago

"omg - 850K watched this video - this game must be epic - let's pre-order!"
    tzervo
    edited June 25
    remsleep said:
    Welcome to how sponsorship works.  Stop being a hater.  I get paid to stream games too.  July 23 you can choose to post all your hate for this game.  They are already tampering expectations.  They have already said the game is a work in progress and plan on monthly updates. The devs are very open about this.  Remsleep, what more do you want?  You can pre-order and test the game for a full 33 days before the release.  They don't charge you for the game until August 25th.  Of course they are going to have a crazy amount of ad videos, it is Amazon after all.  Honestly, you sound as if you are bitter because YOU are getting paid by them for your good word about the game.  It is simple, if you don't want to give your good review of the game, don't and don't get paid.  Your problem should be with yourself, not Amazon.        

I have no idea what you are talking about me being paid by amazon? I am a nobody - the video I linked is not mine. 

I don't stream, I don't post any videos anywhere so I have zero relevance to Amazon.

Interesting that you are not addressing the single most important issue in the video

namely - how Amazon is falsely generating millions of views on Youtube so to make it appear that the videos are super popular - the thing is those numbers are paid for "bot" views and not actual people

Also - you completely glossed over how Amazon is going out of their way to make sure there are no negative comments on ANY of their videos - because they want to suppress  the true state of the game right now - they are paying streamers to do what you are doing above - only highlighting the positives

Why?

Because they want to create fake hype by making it seem that a lot of people watch New World videos on Youtube (which is 100% false as proven above) - all to make pre-sales as high as possible.

it's a shitty tactic they are trying to pull - just to sucker folks into pre-ordering an unfinished mediocre game

if Amazon devoted all this attention into makeing New World an awesome game - they wouldn't have to do all this damage control and create fake hype - players would be creating the hype and talking how amazing of a game New World is
    My apologies.  For what ever reason, I thought it was YOUR video.

I've been watching the videos and the devs are going out of their way to tamper expectations about the game.  Like I said, OF COURSE Amazon is going pay for ads and a lot of them.  It is Amazon after all.

The entire argument would have merit if Amazon was collecting cash up front on these pre-orders but they are not.  LIke I said earlier, players will have just over a month to test the game.  If someone doesn't like it, cancel before August 25th.  No harm, no foul.  It is pretty much industry standard on how pre-orders work.

Shocking - News Flash - A game developer is selling pre-orders to an unfinished mediocre game.  Welcome to the last 10+ years to nearly the entire MMORPG genre.

I'm in a gaming syndicate with literally 1,000s of people and the game is a go for us as we have seven people in the Alpha that I know of.  The leadership of our syndicate would not give us the thumps up to plan for launch of the game if it was as bad as what the video is trying to get people to believe.  Just say'n.

Edit - I forgot.  Don't sign up to get sponsored by a game developer to be a paid streamer if you are going to have a problem not giving your sponsor a glowing review.  That is what you are getting paid for.  That is what I got out of that video.

Edit - I forgot.  Don't sign up to get sponsored by a game developer to be a paid streamer if you are going to have a problem not giving your sponsor a glowing review.  That is what you are getting paid for.  That is what I got out of that video.

You are not giving a review at that point - you are just being a sales person for Amazon.

You basically have sold yourself for $$$ and have become an "influencer" - shame.

This is why I like to follow and watch reviews of those that are not to say "it's shit" when they are playing a piece of shit.

You know what a sponsored player would do - he'd encourage everyone to eat big heaping spoonfuls of poop - because money > integrity for them

Sorry dude - but .... fuck that approach
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 21,939
    remsleep said:
    You make a two sentence original post, and then get upset that someone replies to it without first watching a 23-minute video?  Seriously?  If you want people to see something before replying, then write it here.
    SandmanjwKyleranAlBQuirkyWellspring
    remsleep said:

You are not giving a review at that point - you are just being a sales person for Amazon.

You basically have sold yourself for $$$ and have become an "influencer" - shame.

This is why I like to follow and watch reviews of those that are not to say "it's shit" when they are playing a piece of shit.

You know what a sponsored player would do - he'd encourage everyone to eat big heaping spoonfuls of poop - because money > integrity for them

Sorry dude - but .... fuck that approach

That is exactly what I am saying and the person that made the video should be upset with themselves, not Amazon.  The reality is, the person who made the video is having an internal struggle with themselves called, "to cash the check or not" after they've been in Alpha.  The person told their followers they'd be open and honest and then signed on to be sponsored by Amazon and now they regret that decision because they can't look themselves in the mirror and cash the check at the same time.  You are 100%.  All these paid streamers have sold themselves for cash and the one that made this video obviously regrets it.  Again, that isn't Amazon's fault.
    Quizzical said:
    remsleep said:
    You make a two sentence original post, and then get upset that someone replies to it without first watching a 23-minute video?  Seriously?  If you want people to see something before replying, then write it here.

Point taken, I'll keep that in mind in the future.

But yes - my expectation was that watching even the first 3 minutes of the video - one would get the main point behind it.
    remsleep said:
    Quizzical said:
    remsleep said:

Point taken, I'll keep that in mind in the future.

But yes - my expectation was that watching even the first 3 minutes of the video - one would get the main point behind it.
    To me, it wasn't the main point at all.  As said above, just buyer's remorse on cashing a paycheck vs keeping their word to their own audience.  All the rest was just deflection from the real issue.
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 11,946
    edited June 26
    The only streamer worth watching is Pootie Shoe.
    if he gives a game 4+ buttholes I am all in.

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Starvault's reponse to criticism related to having a handful of players as the official "test" team for a supposed MMO: "We've just have another 10ish folk kind enough to voulenteer added tot the test team" (SIC) This explains much about the state of the game :-)

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

My ignore list finally has one occupant after 12 years. I am the strongest supporter of free speech on here, but free speech does not mean forced listening. Have fun my friend. Hope you find a new stalking target.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 17,512
    As OBVIOUS as the full scope of marketing is to SOME,i have noticed a LOT of people are extremely ignorant to the obvious.

The first time this was brought to the public eye was via restaurant reviews.Influencers would demand free food or they would hand out poor reviews.Purposely defaming a business with blackmail is most certainly illegal but apparently it has been an area the legal entities struggle to enforce.

Like how do you PROVE someone is giving a paid for review?Well the only way is if for example an audit is forced and they prove these people have money deposited into their accounts.However if all you received was free food,you will never prove that area of concern,no more than reviewers receiving free games to review.

I can personally tell almost immediately if someone is a shill and it bothers me because they are basically LYING even though they are telling people it is THEIR opinion.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• AAAMEOWAAAMEOW Member RarePosts: 1,335
    how do they actually boost their views?

Youtube should have some ways to combat these behavior.  Since they pay content creator for views.

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,029
    I am too old to understand most of this. Certainly I don't choose games based on streamers - whatever they are. I do listen to some of you, however, and value your opinions. That's part of why I am here.

KyleranAlBQuirkyWellspringMendel

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• RemaliRemali Member UncommonPosts: 444
    I dont believe the vid you posted
    Sure you can buy good reviews everybody should know that by now... but how do you buy 14mil views for your vid unless you are using some kind of bot software
    Iselin
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 14,174
    edited June 26
    Remali said:

unless you are using some kind of bot software

You just answered your own question lol.
    remsleep
    “Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

"... the "influencers" which is the tech name we call sell outs now..."
    __ Wizardry, 2020
  • SandmanjwSandmanjw Member UncommonPosts: 243
    Same guy as before that posted a long video about how bad Amazon is and this game is. But apparently he is still "testing" the game and getting views about his bitching.

Welcome to the age of on-line marketing.  Been going on for many years right?  Search engines been doing these type of things for even longer. Game companies have been "paying" for both testers,influencers,and press to give good press for crap games for almost as long.

Hell even politicians are using these type of stuff to get people to listen to their sound bite political trash. 

The old trope  Believe half of what you see and nothing of what you hear comes to mind for about 99% of the crap you see and hear on-line.
    remsleepKyleran
    edited June 26
    Remali said:
    I dont believe the vid you posted
    Sure you can buy good reviews everybody should know that by now... but how do you buy 14mil views for your vid unless you are using some kind of bot software

Bingo!

if you don't believe me 

google: buy youtube views

or check out a site that's basically this spelled out

here's a snippet from that site (there are many others like this - i blocked the URL for obvious reasons as these are basically bot nets that are used for all kinds of illegal activity)

tzervoAlBQuirky
    AAAMEOW said:

Youtube should have some ways to combat these behavior.  Since they pay content creator for views.

They go to one of the many websites that sell botnets to generate views - in otherwords they simply buy them - see my post above.
    Sandmanjw said:

Welcome to the age of on-line marketing.  Been going on for many years right?  Search engines been doing these type of things for even longer. Game companies have been "paying" for both testers,influencers,and press to give good press for crap games for almost as long.

Hell even politicians are using these type of stuff to get people to listen to their sound bite political trash. 

The old trope  Believe half of what you see and nothing of what you hear comes to mind for about 99% of the crap you see and hear on-line.

It's amazing how effective it is - people fall for "this thing has a lot of views/comments/re-tweets and they think it's real people behind all that.

It's often nobody - it's pure marketing or someone pushing an agenda for profit.
  • AAAMEOWAAAMEOW Member RarePosts: 1,335
    remsleep said:
    AAAMEOW said:

They go to one of the many websites that sell botnets to generate views - in otherwords they simply buy them - see my post above.
    I meant to type that as discussion.

Quite honestly, I have problem even searching for the official new world channel.  When I try to search google or youtube itself, it is from other video game channel which have decent amount of views.  Unless you meant to tell me those are fake too.
  • TillerTiller Member EpicPosts: 8,675
    I watched it 20 thousand times myself, so it's possible.  :D

kidding
    IselinQuizzicalYashaXAlBQuirky
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter
  • BruceYeeBruceYee Member RarePosts: 1,870
    It doesn't matter if they buy a billion views if the game is bad.

What I want to know is what they are aiming for with this game cause it definitely isn't these two things...

1. Making a profit
    2. Making the best game possible

At this point I'm thinking all they are making the game for is to promote lumberyard and have a demo game to show what it can do like MJ with this unchained engine & ragnarok.
  • achesomaachesoma Member RarePosts: 1,205
    Hmm, will have to verify if this true at the Illuminati meeting next Tuesday.
    AlBQuirky
    Image result for pantheon mmo banners