Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Responding to toxicity in online gaming?

Comments

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member EpicPosts: 10,577
    First thing I do is block. If someone says anything to me, I always block them first, but I keep an eye out for them in matches. I've had people PM me pretty horrible things, try and get at me in map chat, and a few times, send me audio messages on XBOX. I once had one guy send me 3 audio messages in a row just going off about how I had no skill because I used a shotgun to kill him in Gears of War. 

I enjoy the competition, and if someone rattles me, it's not from what they say, it's because they did beat me. My best revenge is finding a way to counter it. It's part of the game. If you lose, you find a way to come back, and you get better, or you find people that you are better than and exploit that. 

So on and so on, down the rabbit hole. 
    AlBQuirky

• PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 3,922
    edited June 17
    I stopped communicating with random players in online games in 2012. Ignorance is bliss.
    Post edited by Palebane on
    AlBQuirkyKyleranBeatnik59

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• OG_ZorvanOG_Zorvan Member EpicPosts: 2,175
    Palebane said:
    I stopped communicating with random players in online games in 2012. Ignorance is bliss.
    2012? Damn it, that's what the Mayans were warning us about!! MMO chat!!
    KyleranAlBQuirkyScotLonesols

MMORPG.COM took away my swinging cheerleader butt .gif.

• DraktheasDraktheas Newbie CommonPosts: 10
    Ignore it for sure
  • LonesolsLonesols Member UncommonPosts: 83
    edited June 20
    Hi guys, 

So I was playing Starcraft 2 and playing this guy 1v1. I hated his play style and said, "your play style is cancer" . . . the guy doesn't respond. I guess i'm being a bit salty. I'm losing btw. I was more saying, i hate his play style than anything else. 

I end up in the process of losing, and the guy is like "owned"

This triggered me for some reason, that this guy is sitting here flexing on me cuz he beat me. Now you could say I started it first with saying his play style is cancer, but it is more about the way the person plays than the person itself. I guess I should have said, "I hate this play style."

Either way, after his comment "owned". what would you guys have done?

A) Ignore it. say gg and move on. 
    B) Ignore it and leave game. (not doing the customary gg)
    C) Respond with personal attacks. 
    D) Tell them to F off
    E) Or flex on the person, but use RL instead. The rationale here is that in games there are rankings and in life there are rankings. The true RL ranking is happiness . . . but there are other markers. So a person flexes on me in a game, i'll respond with flexing on them in RL (which is more important) and thus topping the other person, potentially. 

Edited. 

To the person who had issue with the use of cancer . . i get it . . . cancer kills a ton of people and loved ones, but it was used as a hyperbole, sort of like saying, "it was hell", etc. 

Then again, I shouldn't have used it though cuz it detracts from the point. 

Remeber these words some one once told me, its just a feeling it will go away. 

Stop being a little girl and control your emotions. Bet that triggers you to hahaha. Never would of made it back in warcraft 3 days, they didn't say  just ur cancer and owned, it was more like give me your address because I'm coming to your house to kill you haha. Which happened on the daily for me. Though I always had a blast with it. You would of hated me though,  back in battlefield 1942 desert combat I was the guy who would wait for you to get in a helicopter then blow you up with my jeep and kill us both hahah. 

Its a game, and it is also words typed on a screen. You triggered your self, because for some reason no one ever taught you to control your emotions, especially on the internet. 

Though I get banned from everything, because I don't word my stuff for the little girls. Might be sexest I suppose but I've raised 3 girls, and you act just like they do. 

Its simple really just dont wire your brain like yours is wired to take literally everything personally, read what i wrote not in your own voice but I dono some voice you find funny, try a little animie girl vocie  haha, I dono. Do you even have the ability to read stuff in some one elses voice? Start there.

Honestly though all people want is for you to type exactly what they want to hear, such as i love everything nothing is bad woo. They want anything that some one types that they make themselves feel angry or negative about banned. So chats in video games, this fourm, and everywhere on the internet are uselss because unless you spend huge efforts to make sure they don't ban you, you will be banned.

So there for since all chat is utterly unless including this one they should just turn it off since all it does is make little girls report people, and some one has to sit there a baby sit all you emotionally unstable babies to make sure some one doesnt type something that bothers you. I also guarentee nothing every worth anything happened in a video game pvp chat, other than utter nonsense. I have never seen it. 

BTW they will 100 percent ban me for writing this haha. All because you read stuff and have zero ability to control what you feel about it, so the only thing you do is hit report and hope I get banned to make you feel better about your self.  Banned for trying to help you, 
    haha that is the way of the thing though.

Which in and of itself is toxic by your own terms, because toxic has devolved into a almost meaningless term of basically your writing made me feel bad lol. Infact more toxic people you actually have some one physically do something to me,  and get my account banned for me typing garbage that you easily could of ignored or blocked. Making you way worse than anything I do, I dont want to see your stuff banned reguardless of the nonsense you type.

Ahh but I still care about ya, and maybe one day you will figure out the internet is a meaningless place of nonsense and if you aren't having fun you should just turn it off, instead of just angry rage slapping report to everything haha.

Post edited by Lonesols on
    GdemamiHuntSPMCcheyane
  • ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 1,816
    The obvious was pointed out already, you started it so take it and deal with it.

I do think though that games should remove globalized chats. I don’t think they serve any good purpose at all.
    Lonesols
    "Wake up, It's RNG, there is no such thing as 'rare'"
    - Ungood
    edited June 20
    The obvious was pointed out already, you started it so take it and deal with it.

I do think though that games should remove globalized chats. I don’t think they serve any good purpose at all.
    I agree just a huge waste of resources, because some one either has to program a chat filter like blizzards ban system, or some one physically has to sit there and monitor it. So since every one can't handle chat, better to just remove it. Call of duty mobile doesn't have global chat in game and I had alot of fun there. 

Though i am gonna say this there a def alot of people that only play a game for the chat haha. I have met 100s of people in heroes of the strom that litterally just sit in chat and dont even play the game. 

Another is ulitma online, all that chat mostly consists of is people shit talking about pvp, and drunk people haha. I said they should remove the chat once there and holy shit did i start a strom haha. Went on for like a hour.

I have suggested removing the chat on multi game fourms and always get hit with resistance of it makes the game, and they shouldn't remove it. 
  • cheyanecheyane Member EpicPosts: 7,026
    I have more respect for people who can respond in well written English with prose, obscure words, humour and insult with such style it will make one weep. I do enjoy a well written remark far more than a swear ridden one. Something that Oscar Wilde might write if he was to insult me.
    AlBQuirkytzervo
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,539
    I play ALOT of Pvp / competitive games so I encounter toxicity in almost every match. You either just start ignoring / muting whoever is being toxic or you join in and make the situation worse. Also in any competitive thing you will get EZGG or owned or whatever and honestly it's all in fun. That person is probably just happy they won. 
    Lonesolstzervo
  • VrikaVrika Member EpicPosts: 6,290
    edited June 21
    cheyane said:
    I have more respect for people who can respond in well written English with prose, obscure words, humour and insult with such style it will make one weep. I do enjoy a well written remark far more than a swear ridden one. Something that Oscar Wilde might write if he was to insult me.
    Foreigners are just inferior people and don't deserve as much respect as native English speakers?

I do agree with you that people who behave like kids with their swear words should not be respected, but you're raising the bar too high.
    Lonesols

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 17,512
    edited June 21
    If you read the entire post she was not targeting a foreigner she was basically saying she respects people more that don't feel the need to use curse words when they have something to say.There is more than just being an English major,understanding how to word things is a difficult task for many us including MYSELF.Point is sometimes you have to read between the lines to understand what someone else is saying instead of just looking at the obvious.

Often those who call out others are actually as bad or part of the problem.Example people that wanted to insult someone else didn't want to appear as part of the problem so they began looking for acceptable ways to do it.So in comes the way over used term "troll".I have seen so many baseless use of that term it is sickening and those same people will be constantly pointing fingers at others.

cheyaneLonesolsAlBQuirky

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• LackingMMOLackingMMO Member RarePosts: 494
    Dish it, take it. Cant be bent out of shape with a simple "owned" That isn't exactly an insult or a complement. Toxic part was actually you lol so in a sense you made a thread about yourself, not to point fingers because I would respond in a few different ways depending on my mood lol.
    edited June 22
    Dish it, take it. Cant be bent out of shape with a simple "owned" That isn't exactly an insult or a complement. Toxic part was actually you lol so in a sense you made a thread about yourself, not to point fingers because I would respond in a few different ways depending on my mood lol.
    You sure? Things have really changed as the definition of toxic, i 100 percent can see why owned could be considered toxic. In heroes of the strom people think saying good game is toxic and I am not kidding you. 

Some people if they die in like 3 seconds go good game hahs then 90 percent of the time it just devolves into a debate about how if you stopped typing we could win. 

The op as you say is considered toxic too, i have seen all kinds of games where people go you aren't playing how i expect you to play and its wrong.

I remeber in wow they started getting mad at me cause i had no pants haha. They started calling me names and said only a retard would try to do a dungeon with no pants. One guy thought i didn't actually have pants and tried to help me find some hahs. I'm just like well I'm not wearing pants so that ends that now doesn't it. 

So who's toxic there ? Is it because i spent like 6 hours protecting my outfit in world of warcraft with even paying for a extra account, so I could make my own guild talbrad to wear like a skirt, so pants didn't fit into that for me. Or the people who play and give 2 nothings about what characters look like, just winning the dungeon. So since I made it a bit harder to beat the dungeon and made them angry, does it mean they are toxic for calling me a retard with no pants haha? I dono.

I do know this conversation made me want to play wow hahah, so blizzard should thank you that you got them 2 subscriptions;).

I still stand behind every single person is toxic, it is the way of things. No amount of moderators and or bans will change this fact. So since thats the case what a huge amount of wasted resources are spent dealing with it. 

Mmorpg.com moderators could tell us i bet haha, how much man power is required to do that, and im sure its not little.

Your right though if people just took it and dished it, it would be fine. That is never how it works though. Every one takes it way to personal. 

2 months ago or so I was in heroes of the strom chat waiting for a ranked match. 3 people were talking about how they think white people are superior, so i spent the next 20 mins making fun of them. This turned into them saying they were gonna come to my house and teach me about how white people are superior. I typed my address into the chat and said well come on over, they never did. 

Then they flipped it and said I was the racist one haha, and litteralky got all the new people in the chat to think i was talking the racist garbage. Guess who got banned haha i did. They got every one in the chat to report me.  I on the other hand didn't report any one. 

Post edited by Lonesols on
  • xD_GamingxD_Gaming Member EpicPosts: 2,495
    I just use #block
    There is a multiverse inside our minds which millions live.
    Twitter : @xD_Gaming_Merch
    xD Merch : https://bit.ly/2v13MT8
    "Dragons are tilly folly !"
  • alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,293
    you guys are strange, why you care what someone you don't know think about you? just block and start to kill him without a care in game, ignoring people like this make then even more mad.

if I listed the number of times I was kicked from matches for hacking or name calling me because I sniped the dude over the map or being called no skill by doing teh same I wouldn't play games never again
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • IsilithTehrothIsilithTehroth Member UncommonPosts: 524
    Hi guys, 

So I was playing Starcraft 2 and playing this guy 1v1. I hated his play style and said, "your play style is cancer" . . . the guy doesn't respond. I guess i'm being a bit salty. I'm losing btw. I was more saying, i hate his play style than anything else. 

I end up in the process of losing, and the guy is like "owned"

This triggered me for some reason, that this guy is sitting here flexing on me cuz he beat me. Now you could say I started it first with saying his play style is cancer, but it is more about the way the person plays than the person itself. I guess I should have said, "I hate this play style."

Either way, after his comment "owned". what would you guys have done?

D) Tell them to F off
    E) Or flex on the person, but use RL instead. The rationale here is that in games there are rankings and in life there are rankings. The true RL ranking is happiness . . . but there are other markers. So a person flexes on me in a game, i'll respond with flexing on them in RL (which is more important) and thus topping the other person, potentially. 

Edited. 

To the person who had issue with the use of cancer . . i get it . . . cancer kills a ton of people and loved ones, but it was used as a hyperbole, sort of like saying, "it was hell", etc. 

Then again, I shouldn't have used it though cuz it detracts from the point. 

You were the toxic one in this scenario. You got upset he was beating you using a valid strategy, which I assume is cannon rushing. Its like how people would rage private message others in a game like Darkfall online when they lost; its only fuel for the winner.

MurderHerd

• CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 2,911
    Honestly, even if i won the game, i still may have said the playstyle is annoying, which it was, i just used a hyperbolic phrase. 

To all the other people, i rarely react to other people's tpxicity, usually it entertains me, but that time just got under my skin which is unusual. 
    AlBQuirkyGdemami
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • achesomaachesoma Member RarePosts: 1,205
    Every time this thread pops up I get System of a Down stuck in my head. 
    chilltime99tzervo
    Image result for pantheon mmo banners
  • CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 2,911
    For more perspective, i was playing the other day.
    The custom is to start a game with telling your opponent glhf = good luck and have fun.

I start every game like that.

One guy responds:
    1) fuck you

Another guy was:
    2) u 2 n**** and then proceeded to cheese me with a stupid proxy style. 

These are rare, but i ignored both, was mildly amused by the first guy whose name was Legos, since i love legos, it disappointed me.

When you lose and bow out of a game, it is customary to say gg = good game. 

I usually say gg, and the few times i forget, i msg them afterward. 

Overall, i was strangely triggered by owned, had the guy said, stop whining and learn how to beat it, i woulsnt have reacted that way, oh well, if you are bored of mmos, try competitive 1v1 gaming. 

AlBQuirkyGdemami
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • klash2defklash2def Member EpicPosts: 1,733
    My block game is strong. I just don't have to deal with your shit. I don't really care about game banter because I can take it and dish it, 

but the second they say something racist to ME, I'm blocking. ZERO Tolerance. 

I can play with people who simply aren't like that. Easy fix. 
    tzervoGdemami
    "PSA: We live in a multicultural world. Nobody is "forcing" diversity. Earth is already Diverse."

"Everything that happens is a political act, and the only people that get to pretend otherwise are those privileged enough to not have politics impact them at all." ~Taliesin

"What does it mean to be human? In a time when people's humanity is perennially called into question?"
    - Dr. Cornell West

Currently: Games Audio Engineer
    You've heard what I've heard

• WBadgerWBadger Member UncommonPosts: 332

D) Tell them to F off

A.  Yes.  Be a better sport.  In his case, he deserves to say you were "Owned."  You started talking shit.  He hit back, he took the W, and he deserves to flex on you because you talked shit and got hit for it. 
    B.  Yes.  (The whole gg being customary thing is stupid to me.  If I want to just move right into the next game, I will.)
    C.  No  (Never go personal unless they go personal first.  If other people want to start playing in the mud, then I'll play in the mud too because sometimes that's just fun.)
    D.  Also No.  (Just basic bitch levels of stupid.)
    E.  HELLLLLL No. The internet is anonymity.  Anybody can say they are anything on the internet, therefore flexing with Real Life is the basic levels of stupidity because you're not going to send them a picture of your driver's license, family photo, and employee ID to verify that you are succeeding.  And if you're not going to do that, then that means that they don't have to do it, resulting in a pissing match of flexing shit that doesn't matter to other people.  Those people are stupid.  If you're doing that, you're stupid.

If you got triggered by him saying owned, then that says more about you since you started it first.
    tzervo
  • KnightFalzKnightFalz Member RarePosts: 1,029
    edited June 25
    Honestly, even if i won the game, i still may have said the playstyle is annoying, which it was, i just used a hyperbolic phrase.
    You used a phrase that although now common is in incredibly poor taste. That will at times be met with a response that reflects that poor taste. Further, that you choose to use the word cancer in this manner doesn't speak highly of you.

It is a fairly common and devastating disease that has touched the lives of many, such that there is a good chance any you play with have encountered it through either the suffering of those they are close to or directly.

It is horrible to go through either way, and may very well be at the center of the worst time of that person's life. It is a rather nasty wound that is a best covered over by a scab that nobody should be picking at.

You would do well to pick another word to express your displeasure at the play style of others, or not bother commenting at all as your opponent is not obliged to play in a manner that pleases you.

My choice of action at the end of the match would be A or B.
    tzervo
  • ArteriusArterius Member EpicPosts: 2,759
    I just ignore it honestly. I don't let it get to me. I don't know that person and they don't know me. I will also, probably, never meet them in real life and if I did I wouldn't even know.

Besides if people have to talk shit after playing or during playing a game with others then those are the kinds of people I don't even waste brain cells on
    Currently playing: Outer Worlds (Xbox One X)

Currently Reading: Skaven Slayer (Gotrek and Felix Book 2)

Currently Writing: Champions of Legend Book 1 (3rd Draft)

Currently Watching: Oz (Season 4), Soprano's (Season 1)

• tzervotzervo Member UncommonPosts: 216
    edited June 25
    For more perspective, i was playing the other day.
    The custom is to start a game with telling your opponent glhf = good luck and have fun.

I start every game like that.

One guy responds:
    1) fuck you
    To me that's the sign of either a fun guy announcing that he wants to have fun trolling with, or an edgy idiot that deserves trolling. Depending on the mood I sometimes play along and have fun with/at him  >:)
  • tzervotzervo Member UncommonPosts: 216
    ...and then proceeded to cheese me with a stupid proxy style...
    Also, I never blame the player for this. I blame the game for enabling/allowing it. If that's the case it smells of a design flaw.