Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New World Announces Closed Beta Date, Coming July 23rd

2»

Comments

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,992
    Iselin said:
    tzervo said:
    I read many posters above complaining about the "survival" aspects but I was under the impression that they toned these down too, so much that "survival game" fans complain that it can no longer be tagged as a "survival game" either...

If anything, I think the prevailing opinion is that it is no longer "anything", not sandbox, not PVE, not PVP, not survival. Personally, I wait to see for myself as soon as the NDA is lifted and the first videos are out on release (or beta):

Anyone calling this a suvival game is way out of touch and probably only knows what they showed several years ago when you started the game punching trees and had to craft everything. Even back then that initial survival vibe was toned-down considerably after the start.

Now there are loot drops from mobs and quest rewards, with some of those drops being the best in the game.

You're right in that the game does have an identity crisis and doesn't seem to know what it wants to be when it grows up but it resembles MMORPGs much more than survival.

There are a lot of things about it that turn me off at the moment but dismissing it as a survival game is ignorant.
    Survival MMO is what it said in the article, so if that's out of touch tell the staff. :)
    [Deleted User]
  • Mackaveli44Mackaveli44 Member RarePosts: 710
    edited June 2020

Ridrith said:

The game just comes off as having a complete lack of cotent and a coherent direction. There's no dungeons, no raids, outside some of the most basic looking AI and shitty combat encounters... It's just a survival MMO and we have more than enough of those.

Thats because that's exactly what's going on with the game. As a long time Alpha player, I can fully agree with how you feel about it and expect it to tank. I wish I didn't feel this way but theres many reasons why people keep saying the same stuff over and over when they see videos from this game.

Goes to show money doesn't equate to talent or good content. Clearly shows it in this unfortunately.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Scot said:
    Iselin said:
    tzervo said:
    I read many posters above complaining about the "survival" aspects but I was under the impression that they toned these down too, so much that "survival game" fans complain that it can no longer be tagged as a "survival game" either...

If anything, I think the prevailing opinion is that it is no longer "anything", not sandbox, not PVE, not PVP, not survival. Personally, I wait to see for myself as soon as the NDA is lifted and the first videos are out on release (or beta):

Anyone calling this a suvival game is way out of touch and probably only knows what they showed several years ago when you started the game punching trees and had to craft everything. Even back then that initial survival vibe was toned-down considerably after the start.

Now there are loot drops from mobs and quest rewards, with some of those drops being the best in the game.

You're right in that the game does have an identity crisis and doesn't seem to know what it wants to be when it grows up but it resembles MMORPGs much more than survival.

There are a lot of things about it that turn me off at the moment but dismissing it as a survival game is ignorant.
    Survival MMO is what it said in the article, so if that's out of touch tell the staff. :)
    I think I just did in my previous post :)
    Scot[Deleted User]CaboSoul
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• DhampirDhampir Member UncommonPosts: 161
    Im having a blast playing eso...by then it will give me something else to play..looking forward to it.
    “Nothing is trivial.”
    ― James O'Barr, The Crow

“Sarah: "Buildings burn, people die, but real love is forever...”
    ― James O'Barr, The Crow

• deniterdeniter Member RarePosts: 1,430
    Crafting heavy MMORPG with survival-lite elements and no FFA PvP?! I love it already!

All we need is some dungeons to explore and they got me.

I just hope it doesn't have action combat..
  • SpiiderSpiider Member RarePosts: 1,135
    Another ark? Rust? Hope not. But my hopes are probably in vain.

No fate but what we make, so make me a ham sandwich please.

• Mackaveli44Mackaveli44 Member RarePosts: 710
    Spiider said:
    Another ark? Rust? Hope not. But my hopes are probably in vain.
    Its definitely like neither of those.  

Its a gathering/crafting heavy mmo with some minor survival elements, horribly small combat skill trees, horrible PvE(no dungeons at all), with small camps in the world of horrible AI enemies, it has a little of everything yet does none of them well, at all, sadly. 
    YashaX
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    The trailer looks great.

Good enough to fool the unwash masses...
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,362
    Sweetness! I forgot that I had pre-ordered it for $0 on September 2016! Hope this gets me a closed beta key!
  • achesomaachesoma Member RarePosts: 1,726
    deniter said:
    Crafting heavy MMORPG with survival-lite elements and no FFA PvP?! I love it already!

All we need is some dungeons to explore and they got me.

I just hope it doesn't have action combat..
    It’s third person action combat. Not sure about the “crafting heavy” either. Seems very loot and gear score focused. 
    Preaching Pantheon to People at PAX  PAX East 2018 Day 4 - YouTube
  • Branko2307Branko2307 Member UncommonPosts: 346
    I hope the game is good, but never again pre-ordering game that i havent allready tested ALOT.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Holy Flamin' Frost-Brand Gronk-Slayin' Vorpal Hammer o' Woundin' an' Returnin' an' Shootin'-Lightnin'-Out-Yer-Bum!! ~Planescape: Torment~

• TalemireTalemire Member UncommonPosts: 839
    Got my free version back in April 2017. Why the heck not?
    Isaiah 41:10
  • SpiiderSpiider Member RarePosts: 1,135

voltt said:

Definitely not a survival game, it's certainly crafting heavy but not a survival game.

Care to explain? I'm really interested. Crafting? Does that mean strong player based economy? Or is it f2p where you can skip it all with amazon prime sub?
    Gdemami

No fate but what we make, so make me a ham sandwich please.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I just watched the newest video and tried to look closely to see any hints at what to expect.
    They made sure to keep doing closeups and showing mostly pvp.

The tidbits that were not pvp were umm not looking very good.So the closeups were imo because the world is predominantly empty.When i did see a npc/creature it looked like it was spawned into the game similar to what Guild wars was doing.

Well the skeleton didn't spawn in ,it sort of rose out of the ground which is a cool looking idea but in a way it is spawning into the game because it was never there.

I still see them selling this Siege idea as well some ideas i do not see as actually being viable.Example dropping molten lava on the players down below.So you know they have this,you can see it and your going to actually be dumb enough to run underneath it?NOT likely.

Somebody said it is not a survival game?It has the typical survival ideas,like you'll see a hundred campfires going for certain.You'll be harvesting the same typical resources to make yourself a pick and an axe.What i don't like is that everytime i see actual gameplay,the world looks empty,like not even any creatures.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101
    Ewww RNG crafting.
    Chamber of Chains
  • CambruinCambruin Member UncommonPosts: 72
    edited June 2020
    What's with the setting? It's either barren and rocky or dark and gloomy. Where's the forests? The pallisades? The characters dressed in stuff you'd actually expect from the late 14-early 1500s? Now you have turrets, big-ass guns, ... feel more like steampunk.

Sheesh... if it didn't have 'New World, Combat Unleashed' in the title, I'd have mistaken it for any random MMO I'm not interested in.
    GdemamiYashaXbcbully
  • SeidrSeidr Member UncommonPosts: 18
    Black Desert Online came to mind from the "combat unleashed" video. Appearance, combat, animations, the effect's not so much, but the rest of it, which isn't a bad thing at all. BDO, beautiful and a great game with some crappy things in it, like utterly useless PVP mechanics.
    Let's see if Amazon can top that.
    [Deleted User]
  • VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749

Greatness said:

Just surprised they decided on another survival game.ut They switched directions with PvE but now it just feels so last minute and too late. The back story is interesting but the initial directions does not appeal.

That being said - I feel like the majority of us spending time on this forum want true MMOs while the majority market want games like this.. I mean look at mobile games which make so much money yet majority of us based on posts don’t play them.

This game may be a hit but won’t be that feeling to me at least.

This was and is the original MMORPG market. We're still a money making audience, but they seem to only be interested in appealing to console / mobile gamers. Why they are so loathe to make games for all types of gamers is beyond me. Cornering the market used to be business 101.

• Itzme123Itzme123 Member UncommonPosts: 68

Iselin said:

Nah, it's a fair assessment based on what they've shown. Changing development direction doesn't magically alter public perception. It's a survival game being marketed as an MMO.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015

Greatness said:

Just surprised they decided on another survival game.ut They switched directions with PvE but now it just feels so last minute and too late. The back story is interesting but the initial directions does not appeal.

That being said - I feel like the majority of us spending time on this forum want true MMOs while the majority market want games like this.. I mean look at mobile games which make so much money yet majority of us based on posts don’t play them.

This game may be a hit but won’t be that feeling to me at least.

This was and is the original MMORPG market. We're still a money making audience, but they seem to only be interested in appealing to console / mobile gamers. Why they are so loathe to make games for all types of gamers is beyond me. Cornering the market used to be business 101.
    It's pretty easy to figure out.

It takes a lot of money to make mmorpg's and you have a somewhat jaded audience out there who is waiting for a game to "prove itself" to them.

It's so easy for a mmorpg to stumble. They probably prefer a market where there are a lot of hungry players as opposed to a market that has a smaller audience that is difficult to crack.

There is more competition in mobile gaming so that is a negative. As far as console, it's a no brainer. They are cheaper than PC's and "they just work." 

A friend of mine, years ago, played some pc games and then one day he decided he was through with it and that it was just easier to play on a console. Put the game in, it works and you don't have to upgrade until the next console generation or so. And it's not near as expensive to do it.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • goozmaniagoozmania Member RarePosts: 394
    So after this comes out, what are the odds Amazon closes its game studio by the end of the year?
  • druezdruez Member UncommonPosts: 120
    edited June 2020
    we will see