Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

An interesting idea about raids

Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,177

Basically Cryptic revamped an old raid - for the worse, might i add... (could be a different topic on why all dev teams feel almost mandatory to water down and streamline their games) and as a lead-in event, they will insert the 5 boss fights into the Alert system for everyone.

It's new for Cryptic, and I don't remember seeing a similar design in other games either (tiered raids are different) so it made me thinking... maybe it could be a decent solution for the raiding dilemma?

What I mean is, raiding (especially hardcore raiding) is a tiny minority in most games. Most players never touch endgame raids, or just dip the toes in to check around, and leave shortly afterwards.

A similar move has a handful of advantages:
- players have more variance to play with daily (Alerts is like dungeon queue, or instances of other games)
- same from the dev's side, the already existing content reaches more players, which is always a good thing
- as the article mentions too, players can practice the bosses and mechanics, with lowered difficulty
- when reaching the endgame, there's a chance a few of them will try themselves in the actual raids
- and with it the raiding community can get some new blood, with some experiences right from the start.

I don't know why nobody tried it before, besides the elitist approach of one has to "earn" the right to enter a raid, and raids are "the" endgame...
It helps that CO's Alert system is good with single boss encounters, most games aren't designed that way.

Anyway, I just thought it could be good enough for a discussion. Is it a good idea for other games too? Could it work, offering the end-raid bosses in the form of low-level dungeons for practice?
Only time will tell how many players queue up for these Alerts, I know I'll give a spin to it the weekend...

Comments

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 17,642
    Well you won't like my response,i would rather see Raids completely disappear.

I doubt anyone could give me a plausible reason raids even exist in a role playing experience?

Of course i want all non plausible ideas out,like yellow markers over npc heads,anything automated and after removing all the immersion ruining ideas then we can start adding good ideas that support immersion.
    We should be living in homes,part of a culture,a kingdom,support an hierarchy,eco systems,weather sailing to islands .
    We should feel like we are  a real person inside a real world,sounds simple yet devs keep giving us fake rpg crap.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.