Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Blizzard killed WOW

ReallyNow10ReallyNow10 Member UncommonPosts: 2,253
edited June 8 in World of Warcraft
They took the reason to chat (outside of trivial town chat) out of the game. Heck even guilds don't talk much anymore.
They took the reason to talk to group members out of the game.
They took the reason to group (outside of instances) out of the game.
They took the reason to play carefully out of the game (death has no sting).
They took the reason to explore and the mystery out of the game with icons, mini-map, etc...

They took the heart out of the game.

The game is boring. Nothing matters. No one cares.

Blizzard did this.
Gdemamibcbully

Comments

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,029
    /t ReallyBow10 What's your gear score?

That's all the talking needed anymore.

GdemamiRueTheWhirl

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• TheocritusTheocritus Member EpicPosts: 7,467
    Blizzard has and always will care about one thing: money...as long as people are paying, they are selling.
  • MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,260
    When I play WoW these days, it is a very lonely experience.  I have a couple of characters in different guilds for the guild perks, and that's about it.  No one in the guilds even talks.

If I want socialization in an MMO, I play LOTRO and chat with my friends or kin, or on world chat, or go to a concert or party.
    Rhoklaw
  • RhoklawRhoklaw Member EpicPosts: 6,958
    Well, technically VOIP removed the need to chat. Ever since Mumble, RogerWilco, TeamSpeak, Ventrillo and now Discord, talking is much faster than typing.

As for WoW, the community was one of the most toxic for the longest time and that god awful gear score was a prime ingredient of that.

• TokkenTokken Member RarePosts: 2,442
    edited June 9
    You need to find a guild that talks.  Try different guilds, it's not that hard. Some guilds are better than others......  I prefer the family guilds that are not concerned about gear scores.
    Make PvE GREAT Again!
  • RhoklawRhoklaw Member EpicPosts: 6,958
    When I play WoW these days, it is a very lonely experience.  I have a couple of characters in different guilds for the guild perks, and that's about it.  No one in the guilds even talks.

If I want socialization in an MMO, I play LOTRO and chat with my friends or kin, or on world chat, or go to a concert or party.

I couldn't agree more, when it comes to community, LOTRO has THEE BEST community out there, hands down. Is it because of the IP? Does the game itself promote a good community? World aesthetics? music? the fact players can create their own music? Who knows, but whatever it is, it works and it works damn well.

• MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,260
    Rhoklaw said:

I couldn't agree more, when it comes to community, LOTRO has THEE BEST community out there, hands down. Is it because of the IP? Does the game itself promote a good community? World aesthetics? music? the fact players can create their own music? Who knows, but whatever it is, it works and it works damn well.
    I think it's a combination of just good-natured people being attracted to the IP, and that it seems to be an older, more mature group of players.
    achesomaklash2defGdemamiRhoklaw
  • Jean-Luc_PicardJean-Luc_Picard Member LegendaryPosts: 8,126
    Back when I was playing on the LOTRO RP server, the community was indeed superior. But after the merge and move to "free to play", the quality dropped abruptly, and it became no better than any other theme park MMO out there including WoW.
    Kyleran
    "The ability to speak doesn't make you intelligent" - Qui-gon Jinn in Star Wars.
    After many years of reading Internet forums, there's no doubt that nor does the ability to write.
    CPU: Intel Core I7 9700k (4.90ghz) - GPU: ASUS Dual GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER EVO 8GB DDR6 - RAM: 32GB Kingston HyperX Predator DDR4 3000 - Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra - PSU: Antec TruePower New 750W - Storage: Kingston KC1000 NVMe 960gb SSD and 2x1TB WD Velociraptor HDDs (Raid 0) - Main display: Samsung U32J590 32" 4K monitor - Second display: Philips 273v 27" monitor - VR: Pimax 8K headset - Sound: Sony STR-DH550 AV Receiver HDMI linked with the GPU and the TV, with Jamo S 426 HS 3 5.0 speakers and Pioneer S-21W subwoofer - OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bits.

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,071
    More accurate title:

Activision killed Blizzard.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,153
    As long as Ion is at the head of development and good ol J. Allen is at Blizzard's helm, Blizzard is pretty much a lost cause, simply because of MAUs.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 35,981
    edited June 29
    Normally it would be time to play the Buggles, but I like this spin off version of their song as well.

Besides, it has zombies, appropriate since Blizzard's mostly a corpse of its former self.

"We can't rewind, we've gone too far"

"Glory days are gone, but that's OK.."

"See normal people, I'm not one of them" | G-Easy & Big Sean

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing FO76 at the moment.

Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• klash2defklash2def Member EpicPosts: 1,733
    I haven't played WOW in over a decade but I find it hard to blame Socialization changes on Blizzard. People changed how they communicated generally and that forced games to change in order to match the times... it's death for some, an evolution for others. 

A few thoughts (skip to the last line for TLDR)

Youtube changed gaming forever when they made it a social event to learn how to play a certain game. It used to be you had to read the guide or manuals. I still have the Brady Games guide for Vanilla WoW.  Something about that was pure IMO, but I'm also aware that kids today just don't have the patience to sit through reading guides, they want to know how to do something right away. Trust me, I have a 10-year-old and a 13-year-old. 

Youtube, Twitch, etc have made themselves part of gaming culture. It's not going away either. It's literally how games market themselves now. Not just that, live services like (XBOX LIVE, PS+, Discord, Twitch) made sure that MMOs aren't the only ones that give that social experience to people but those same platforms also changed the way people play games.

Games are less social IN-GAME because all of the "Social" is happening on apps outside of the game. The introduction of so many communication tools at one time undoubtedly changed how people communicate in games. It may FEEL less social if you aren't hip to the tools. If you are using the tools it's quite social. 

WoW's current state is more to do with Blizzard trying to keep up with the times as society changed. Gaming culture has always catered to the youth but MMOs were an older crowd thing... that's not true anymore. MMOs in the 2010s moved towards catering to the youth also. 

WoW is now 100% catered for a much younger audience that has no interest in playing it or anything like it. It's almost like Blizzard doesn't know their demo or they do but still think they can grab new kids by dumbing down the content. Again to match the times. If difficult gameplay ever becomes "Cool" again in gaming, Blizzard will be first in line to do a sweeping change of how their games work. 

We have online DnD groups now, yes the whole thing is running online. People use discord, Reddit, etc to find these groups. See its in everything, not just WoW.

times have changed. 

"PSA: We live in a multicultural world. Nobody is "forcing" diversity. Earth is already Diverse."

"Everything that happens is a political act, and the only people that get to pretend otherwise are those privileged enough to not have politics impact them at all." ~Taliesin

"What does it mean to be human? In a time when people's humanity is perennially called into question?"
    - Dr. Cornell West

Currently: Games Audio Engineer
    You've heard what I've heard

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member RarePosts: 4,372
    I don't necessarily agree with your reasons, but yeah they started killing it by trying to please everyone and also by manufacturing chores for people to do to keep them subbed.  People used to sub because they had fun.
    BruceYee
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 17,512
    Here is a question i doubt any Wow fanbois could answer.
    What exactly were you doing in Wow that made it so good before as both a MMO and a RPG that it is not doing now?

So far i have seen the mention of "community'"talking".Fair enough,a community does matter and talking in a MMO does matter.However i would argue the game never did either of those  very well before.

There is little reasoning for millions of players to all start spamming world chat with "listen to me topics".So you have a better platform for that and it is the guild.You learn and grow together as a guild,they become your friends,did something change there?Perhaps the problem is that it was never a good guild structure?

"community"again this leans more towards your guild,th small community that you might actually interact with most everyday.No different than how we operate in real life.

So where has any of this changed within Wow?You see my argument all along is that Wow was NEVER a good MMO nor a good rpg.So there never was a good game to ruin,it is the SAME game.I actually feel that at this point it is too late for the game to make meaningful change because nobody cares about 1-90 anymore,nobody cares about 95% of the game anymore.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 2,638
    You get the odd person that is doing the same achievement as you that sometimes communicates but even then it's a random person you'll never see again.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• BruceYeeBruceYee Member RarePosts: 1,870
    Just play classic.
  • worldsbestdadworldsbestdad Newbie CommonPosts: 13
    I gave up on regular WoW a long time ago. Classic is tolerable though.
  • TillerTiller Member EpicPosts: 8,675
    This is why WoW players left and went to go play FFXIV.
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member RarePosts: 4,372
    edited June 30
    Wizardry said:
    Here is a question i doubt any Wow fanbois could answer.
    What exactly were you doing in Wow that made it so good before as both a MMO and a RPG that it is not doing now?

So far i have seen the mention of "community'"talking".Fair enough,a community does matter and talking in a MMO does matter.However i would argue the game never did either of those  very well before.

There is little reasoning for millions of players to all start spamming world chat with "listen to me topics".So you have a better platform for that and it is the guild.You learn and grow together as a guild,they become your friends,did something change there?Perhaps the problem is that it was never a good guild structure?

"community"again this leans more towards your guild,th small community that you might actually interact with most everyday.No different than how we operate in real life.

So where has any of this changed within Wow?You see my argument all along is that Wow was NEVER a good MMO nor a good rpg.So there never was a good game to ruin,it is the SAME game.I actually feel that at this point it is too late for the game to make meaningful change because nobody cares about 1-90 anymore,nobody cares about 95% of the game anymore.

People might respond if you didn't pose it as a loaded question and gave your counters before they even answer.  Your anti-Blizzard stance is tiresome anyway.

You aren't looking for dialogue.  You just look to write long winded posts about things you hate.

• koldmiserkoldmiser Member UncommonPosts: 202
    Can I have your stuff?