Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

When a new game launches, what words/phrases will turn you away from it?

Comments

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Kyleran said:
    I'll try most anything. I have been pleasantly surprised so many times when I have overlooked the labels and tags of description. 
    Like the films I watch, I follow creators more than games or genres. So I tend to find projects by others I know or have worked with and then explore, test and play their creations.

You remind me of my grandfather.  His advice when it came to food was to try everything and anything, or how else would you know if you like it.

He lived up to his word, you name it, he tried whatever someone called food, bugs, all kinds of strange animals, plants, etc.

Still thought he was nuts....because it turns out he didn't like most of those weird foods, most ended up as wasted money and in some cases, severe gastrointestinal distress.  :#

Same with gaming.  Most folks know what they like and their tastes are fairly well set.

Sure, they could try 100 different games outside of their comfort zone but likely no more than a very small number will prove enjoyable for any length of time.

To me it's not worth the time or money to risk suffering through 90 bad games to find 10 I will enjoy.

Instead I do research and basically stick with the very small handful which appeal to my very specific tastes.

I normally try and play no more than a small handful of games in any year, three or so on average, never more than five since the 90s.

Two so far this year, FO76 which carried over from last September and Disco Elysium which I had my family give me for Christmas as a lark, mostly because many here were highly praising it.

I hated it....for multiple reasons, quickly setting it aside after only a 2 or 3 hours and returned to the wastelands of Appalachia.

In general my motivations for playing games differ from that of many other people.
    It goes beyond just entertainment and crosses over to professional. I learn many things from playing many genres and trying new mechanics. Even if it is just an animation technique that may seem trivial to most people. (Like the process of crafting and animating Nariko's hair in Heavenly Sword or Senua's facial crinkles that help display emotion.)
    Also I am fascinated by the process of the development bridges. (the process of combining systems into a cohesive flow to create a seamless experience for the player)

You sound like me when I was in my early '20s enrolled in a 2-year film production program at a technical college in Ontario: there was no such thing as a bad movie for me back in those days since I could learn something from the worst of the worst even if that was what not to do :)
    KyleranAlBQuirkySovrath
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    I have a list of red flags, but they aren't automatically turning me away (just very likely to). The only line in the sand I have is EA (Electronic Arts). Been boycotting them for 7+ years now and don't plan on stopping any time soon.

Main red flags for me are:

F2P / Cash shop - means your game isn't designed for long term fun and the community will be shit.

Action Combat - means the combat will be shallow and I'll get bored very damn quickly

Story Focused - means the devs don't understand what a massively multiplayer game is

Scaling - means the devs couldn't figure out how to create a good progression system and panicked.

Anime - just personal preference, i struggle to enjoy this artistic style

That said, I'm willing to overlook any and all of these if the game can still provide me with what I actually want. I'd be a fool to not play an awesome MMO that perfectly suited my gameplay needs just because it was F2P. I mean, that's never happened, but it might....
    deniterTheocritusAlBQuirky
  • anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,903
    @Iselin ; This is for a game that's actually launching, so Crowd Funding wouldn't be too bad in that case.  In theory it shouldn't be relevant, except for founders starting with lots of cash shop stuff.

Loot, for PvE.   Essentially this just means there will be LOTS OF JUNK, and a handful of things that actually matter.

Loot for PvP.  Essentially you could talk for hours upon hours about EVE Online before you become too concerned about PvP loot, and a newly releasing game talking about PvP Loot is rarely balanced for being a real game outside of their Combat PvP System.

Multiple Currancy Systems of any type.   Combinations of loot, raid earned stuff, minigame earned stuff, slowly earned over time stuff, reputation systems, and cash bought stuff.   Mostly just systems designers were forced to follow, and ones that rarely have any sort of heart in them (Just metrics and money).
    AlBQuirky

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Also I have seen some games where they attached labels in hopes of luring in more people...Often the labels were not true....This seems to be especially relevant in games now that are trying to generate income (Kickstarter, etc)....I've read here many times about people donating to alphas and pre-alphas only to find out the game was nothing like it was described.
    AlBQuirky
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Also I have seen some games where they attached labels in hopes of luring in more people...Often the labels were not true....This seems to be especially relevant in games now that are trying to generate income (Kickstarter, etc)....I've read here many times about people donating to alphas and pre-alphas only to find out the game was nothing like it was described.
    Well, you can't really fix stupid.
    AlBQuirky

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    edited June 2020
    Kyleran said:
    I'll try most anything. I have been pleasantly surprised so many times when I have overlooked the labels and tags of description. 
    Like the films I watch, I follow creators more than games or genres. So I tend to find projects by others I know or have worked with and then explore, test and play their creations.

You remind me of my grandfather.  His advice when it came to food was to try everything and anything, or how else would you know if you like it.

He lived up to his word, you name it, he tried whatever someone called food, bugs, all kinds of strange animals, plants, etc.

Still thought he was nuts....because it turns out he didn't like most of those weird foods, most ended up as wasted money and in some cases, severe gastrointestinal distress.  :#

Same with gaming.  Most folks know what they like and their tastes are fairly well set.

Sure, they could try 100 different games outside of their comfort zone but likely no more than a very small number will prove enjoyable for any length of time.

To me it's not worth the time or money to risk suffering through 90 bad games to find 10 I will enjoy.

Instead I do research and basically stick with the very small handful which appeal to my very specific tastes.

I normally try and play no more than a small handful of games in any year, three or so on average, never more than five since the 90s.

Two so far this year, FO76 which carried over from last September and Disco Elysium which I had my family give me for Christmas as a lark, mostly because many here were highly praising it.

I hated it....for multiple reasons, quickly setting it aside after only a 2 or 3 hours and returned to the wastelands of Appalachia.

I'm selective on what I play, however my potentials are many, I have a lot of favorites on Steam in a holding pattern that I may never get to.

My thought process goes like this:
    - I have to like the initial idea of a game and it has to catch my eye.
    - I don't ever watch the trailers, often their only cinematic nothing to do with the actual gameplay and flash around a lot to make it seem exciting.
    - Youtubes of PEOPLE PLAYING as if I'm playing.  Often I find I hate it. 
    - Put the idea aside for a day or two.  Often I change my mind. 
    - Unless I LOVE the game, or anticipate the release for a long time, I WAIT FOR A SALE. 

Honestly, I haven't had a desire to play anything in the past few months do to medical issues and medications. I'm even temperately out of work... However I still like searching, for some reason I find that fun. 

For now I'm rewatching "Breaking bad" in a lounge chair and trying to stop squirrels and chipmunks from getting in my new chicken coop  :)
    AlBQuirkyTheocritusKyleran[Deleted User]
    Nice post Delete, I use alot of those same principles myself.
  • AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085
    Turn-Offs:
    Immersion (the only way to make a game actually immersive is to make it a good game)
    Microtransactions
    F2P
    Loot boxes
    Cash Shop (unless its cosmetic items only)
    Simple rulesystem
    First Person Only
    Unrestricted PvP
    Full Loot PvP
    Item Decay
    (Extreme) Sandbox (I much prefer a good mix)
    Realistic (not the actual goal of any game)
    Comic style equipment (one of the reasons I never tried WoW)
    RvR
    Permadeath (unless its solved very well, like in EVE)
    VR
    Classless
    Racial restrictions on class selection
    Gender locked classes
    No maps / compass / quest markers
    Realistic travel times
    No mounts
    Console / Console Port
    Action Combat
    Story Focused
    Standing still during spellcasting

Turn-Ons:
    Subscription based
    Third Person
    Classic Fantasy
    High Fantasy
    Dark Elves
    All Standard Classes supported (i.e. all classes many people like, the list is probably: Warrior, Paladin, Dark Knight, Ranger, Rogue, Bard, Cleric, Druid, Wizard, Necromancer, Enchanter)
    Class-based
    Large seamless gameworld
    Castle sieges / massive PvP events
    Housing
    Realistic armor and weapons
    Raids

That's an imperssive list Adamantine! You definitely know what you like and don't like in a game!
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited June 2020
    Blizzard
    Arpg's
    BR's
    Cash shops/Smedley

For the first 3 on the list,i will typically take a look but soon after i am like,why did i bother.
    Cash shops and Smedley are pretty much an auto fail.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Wizardry said:
    Blizzard
    Arpg's
    BR's
    Cash shops/Smedley

For the first 3 on the list,i will typically take a look but soon after i am like,why did i bother.

I know I am definitely in the minority on this, but cash shops have never bothered me one iota....I never even take a look to see what is in them.
  • alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    Wizardry said:
    Blizzard
    Arpg's
    BR's
    Cash shops/Smedley

I know I am definitely in the minority on this, but cash shops have never bothered me one iota....I never even take a look to see what is in them.

hmm I don't normally see what is in the cash shop too, but playing the game I start to notice certains huddles, and I say I bet there is a cash shop item for this one, and behold when I do check, its there....

problem is you tell us the cash shop is not a issue is because or are not taking note of the issues game devs make in the game to force people use the cash shop.

and don't be a fool all games start with litle to none huddles they are added overtime when they get some stable players who invested enough time to support said new problems
    AlBQuirky
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • k61977k61977 Member EpicPosts: 1,503
    Full loot PVP

Battle Royal

Mobile

Pretty much will play anything else.
    AlBQuirky
    Wizardry said:
    Blizzard
    Arpg's
    BR's
    Cash shops/Smedley

hmm I don't normally see what is in the cash shop too, but playing the game I start to notice certains huddles, and I say I bet there is a cash shop item for this one, and behold when I do check, its there....

problem is you tell us the cash shop is not a issue is because or are not taking note of the issues game devs make in the game to force people use the cash shop.

and don't be a fool all games start with litle to none huddles they are added overtime when they get some stable players who invested enough time to support said new problems

I am able to do it because I play games for enjoyment and not for competition...I don't feel I need to "win" when I am playing a video game, I just play because I enjoy it.
    AlBQuirky
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    edited June 2020
    1. Unbalanced classes that shine at what they do, with class interdependence

2. Instanced and open world dungeons 

3. Full open PvE world and a DAoC Siege style PvP zone

4. Horizontal progression game with the ability to play with anyone of any level. So 90% of the content is challenging and worth playing. With 10% being newbe zones that teach you the game with no hand holding. 

5. GW2 Auction house. Its fair and anyone can get what they need without spending months to save up cash to craft. AH to casual players are just a rigged system that sucks. 

6. No gender locking

7. No flying mounts

8. No jumping or climbing puzzle's

9. Deep crafting system that all crafting types are needed in the game. Item slots having a mix of best in slot from crafted and drop. I loved ESO crafting.

10. Limited need for inventory management. Playing for 4hrs should not takes me 30 min to clean up my bags. This is not a mini game developers. 

11. Tab targeting tactic style skills. Want MOBA combat, go play a MOBA. 

12. Dynamic open world events. 
    AlBQuirky
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    Trion
    PWI

AlBQuirky
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    Questhubs 
    AlBQuirky
  • BrainyBrainy Member EpicPosts: 2,038
    Full loot PVP
    Forced PVP
    PVP Focused
    PVP Rewards
    PVP Incentives
    Resources in PVP zones
    Realistic
    delete5230AlBQuirky
  • alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    Wizardry said:
    Blizzard
    Arpg's
    BR's
    Cash shops/Smedley

I am able to do it because I play games for enjoyment and not for competition...I don't feel I need to "win" when I am playing a video game, I just play because I enjoy it.

its not to win, its having enough space on inventory, or enough slots for quests, or be able to sell items to others, or even give items to friends or guildies who was wanting said item you don't have any use, or in some even more annoying thing, having enough hotbars to use your skills, getting money for killing mobs or even teh normal ammount of xp you should get.

all this are artificial problem created by the devs to force players to pay, and take note most of this things are timed and overpriced as hell
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
    Wizardry said:
    Blizzard
    Arpg's
    BR's
    Cash shops/Smedley

its not to win, its having enough space on inventory, or enough slots for quests, or be able to sell items to others, or even give items to friends or guildies who was wanting said item you don't have any use, or in some even more annoying thing, having enough hotbars to use your skills, getting money for killing mobs or even teh normal ammount of xp you should get.

all this are artificial problem created by the devs to force players to pay, and take note most of this things are timed and overpriced as hell

I did see that in a couple of MMOs but just moved on from those games. In 2020 we have tons of games to choose from compared to 2000.
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    Wizardry said:
    Blizzard
    Arpg's
    BR's
    Cash shops/Smedley

I did see that in a couple of MMOs but just moved on from those games. In 2020 we have tons of games to choose from compared to 2000.

and 20 times the shit to wade through? lol
    Theocritus

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• klash2defklash2def Member EpicPosts: 1,949
    Chris
    Early Access
    Alpha x.x.x
    Kickstarter
    Crowdfunded
    Roadmap
    Game Package
    Living Breathing World
    Roberts

ScorchiencheyanekitaradChildoftheShadows
    "Beliefs don't change facts. Facts, if you're reasonable, should change your beliefs."

"The Society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."

Currently: Games Audio Engineer, you didn't hear what I heard, you heard what I wanted you to hear. 

• ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    Loot boxes
    Our cash shop isn't p2w, it only has items for convenience
    Founder packs
    Early access
    FFA-PvP
    Sandbox
    Old school

Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085
    That's an imperssive list Adamantine! You definitely know what you like and don't like in a game!

I will for example liked classless, skill-based systems once I see a solution that actually works well.

Its probably doable, but as far as I can tell, nobody has done it yet.

Meanwhile I love having different classes, done in a way that aspects of the game that are important on one character are completely absent on another, so if you play different characters you indeed get a character that feels substantly different.

Vanguard did this very well. For example:

- On a Disciple or Ranger, you would carefully arrange your attacks in such a way that you would unlock certain effects, such as selfbuffs. A nifty detail that was not present in many other classes.

- Many classes could put up certain weaknesses and many classes had exploits for certain weaknesses - as a rule, nobody could exploit any weakness they themselves could put up. Some classes had no such exploit, for example Sorcerer didnt, so they could ignore that aspect completely.

- Many classes had counters, which always operated differently. On a Cleric, that was just how many turn undead you had left. It would grow back slowly over time. Blood Mages, Monks and Disciples had very dynamic counters. The Blood Mage counter would only work on the current opponent; once that opponent was dead the counter would reset. One could build the counter with certain abilities and then spent the points with certain other abilities. Monks and Disciples had Chi. Unlike the Blood Mage, they could keep their Chi maxed out of combat, and not lose it after their current opponent died. Here too some abilities would raise Chi and other abilities could only activated with Chi.

AlBQuirky
    "Vanguard did this very well. For example:"

Everquest did it very well also...Almost every class had something unique about it that was beneficial to other classes and very helpful in a group setting. I remember players just sitting in PoK offering buffs to other classes. It was a good way to make money if you were new.
    AlBQuirky