Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Switch to console gaming?

jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706
Currently for a PC that would match next gen console specs would be at least $1k+. I'm finding it hard to justify to continue PC gaming when a mid tier GPU costs like 60+% of a next gen console where the console would probably give better graphics than the GPU. It's nice being able to play at whatever resolution and graphics settings I choose on PC but just don't know if it's worth it when I'd get medium settings or higher at 30+fps on console. Yeah 30fps is a joke but it's bearable.

I'll have to get a new GPU to continue with newer games at 60 fps and not sure I want to.
Console is the best price for performance you can get.
Ilaya

Comments

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    edited May 2020
    jusomdude said:

Console is the best price for performance you can get.
    Yup. Has been that way for a while, But the flip side is that you're locked into their ecosystem of exclusives.

You better buy all consoles, just in case... oh wait, you're back up to > $1,000 again :)
    Amathe
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706
    I can live with one console other than buying both for like 5 games. I say both because lol nintendo.
  • boris20boris20 Member RarePosts: 404
    Ive switched over to console this last year. Been enjoying a bit more casual style gaming sessions that come with playing console. Its nice to just plug, play, sit in the recliner, not worry about typing or upgrading a PC. 

With that said, my PC is still pretty up to date, and eventually when a good MMO or RPG does come out that is not on console, ill hop over and fire it back up. 
  • IlayaIlaya Member UncommonPosts: 661
    Take into consideration that Games for Consoles are nearly allays 10/15 bucks more than the PC Games.

I'm an PC Gamer by heart and did so for now over 40 years. But i switched to console 2 month ago (PS4 Pro) and i start to rly, rly love it. Not only you get 99% of the time Games which are ""finished" and not EA/Kickstarter half baked and such alike, but also very good Titles. I sold my RTX 2080Ti and got myself for that money a 4K TV which is nice.

I look forward to PS 5 and can't wait. New stuff to learn, a new Materia so to speak. I love my new Adventure and i won't look back. I see it like you. For the Money you safe, you can have some nice Meals and whatnot on the long run. And i can't stand that "Hardware" Race anymore. Now buying a Console and be safe for 5 (?!) Years.
    WhiteLantern
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    jusomdude said:
    I can live with one console other than buying both for like 5 games. I say both because lol nintendo.
    Breath of the Wild though :)

But yeah, I have a PC and PS4. The previous generation I had a PS3 and Xbox but only because I got the XBOX free with promotion for switching from one of the two big local ISPs to the other one.

I'll be picking up one of the new consoles, probably the PS5, and I'll just have to live without the exclusives I miss out on.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Past week on steam I bought $300 in games for $65. Never did that on a console. Also you won't need a top end PC for awesome gaming. Streaming service are really getting awesome. 
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    By the time the new consoles launch, getting that level of performance from a PC will be cheaper than it is today.
  • jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706
    Xbox and PS both have their sales and offer semi free(still pay for service) games through their subscription services. Only one that seems to skimp on sales is Nintendo. They have some but not as often or as much value.
  • CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    edited May 2020
    The actual hardware of the upcoming consoles themselves isn't that expensive in pc hardware. Maybe around 500-600 today. The difference is in optimization. Everything is built for RDNA2, there is not a need to optimize for different setups and potential background tasks. There is also not a need to optimize for nVidia or Intel.
    The problem for PC games is that nVidia invests in companies to optimize their games and AMD does not. You end up with pc releases that don't make use of AMD hardware and diverts some calculations to the cpu where it wouldn't with a nVidia card. AMD has had a serious advantage in calculating 32bit vector4s for a long time now. 
    [Deleted User]