Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Thoughts on MMORPG Keyboard/Mouse Controls for Combat

2»

Comments

• moshramoshra Member RarePosts: 400
    DMKano said:

Keyboards/mice are soon to be relics of the past.

(also it's hillarious how dated the Matrix idea of physical plug+wire is already- wireless implants say Hi)

They wanted to avoid the cancer causing 5G and went with plug and play instead.
    Nyghthowler
  • Ancient_ExileAncient_Exile Member RarePosts: 1,303
    Vrika said:
    so me using over 40 hotkeys when I played aion without looking btw, was godlike?

you know you can map everything for your liking right? and letting most used skills on easy to reach buttons do wonders

Yes.  But some of these games seem to assume that people can hit 8, 9, 0 (and maybe even - or + in combat.  I'm saying stuff like that is bad design.
    The games don't assume that you could hit them. It's just a newbie-friendly setup that's easy to learn initially. Then once you gain skill and experience, you can remap the keys, buy a gaming mouse, etc.

Understood.  Btw, how long do you think it would take most gamers to master being able to hit 102 different keys of combinations of keys that could be used during combat?
    "If everything was easy, nothing would be hard."

"Show me on the doll where PVP touched you."

(Note:  If I type something in a thread that does not exactly pertain to the stated subject of the thread in every, way, shape, and form, please feel free to send me a response in a Private Message.)

DMKano said:

Keyboards/mice are soon to be relics of the past.

(also it's hillarious how dated the Matrix idea of physical plug+wire is already- wireless implants say Hi)

Not for me, thanks.  I won't go into why.  Don't want to Derail the thread or anything.

(Note:  If I type something in a thread that does not exactly pertain to the stated subject of the thread in every, way, shape, and form, please feel free to send me a response in a Private Message.)

• UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,532
    I have a pretty standard keyboard. I do use a gaming mouse (roccat kova) which has an additional 4 buttons that are easy to use.

I have two of the mouse buttons, which both sit under my thumb, mapped to shift and alt.

By doing that, I triple the number of keybinds I can easily use.

So, I use WASD to move around.

Then, I have the following as skill keybinds:

1, 2, 3, 4, 5
    Q, E, R, T
    F, G
    Z, X, C

That's 14 skills, and the furthest I have to move is 2 keys....from D to 5 or T.

With the Shift and Alt variations, that gives me 42 keybinds within easy reach. I've yet to play an MMO that gave me 42 useful skills, so this has been enough for me to keybind everything.

Does it take a bit of time to learn? Sure, there is always a learning period, just as there is with every game. I have techniques to reduce the learning time, by binding similar skills to the same keys in each game. 1-5 are usually my rotation skills. Q is usually my biggest hitting skill. E is usually my main CC. R and T tend to be more CC, or taunts, or run buffs. F and G are heals or potions. Z, X and C are usually emergency skills.

I'm a big fan of lots of skills though, so im more than happy to take the time to learn the keybinds. Depth in combat is my most sought after feature, and it's impossible to have depth without complexity. If there were too few skills, the combat would be really shallow (e.g. all action combat) so I wouldn't play it.

If I didn't have a gaming mouse then it would be a bit harder as I'd need to use my little finger to hold shift / control / alt and I'd probably need to drop some of the keybinds. But, I think I could still comfortably hit 24 keybinds, which is still more than is needed in most games.

Finally, you can always mouse click skills if needed. When I started in MMOs, I didn't even really know about keybinding. I managed to raid and pvp successfully for a few years before I even started keybinding. The increased pacing of combat today might make that harder than it was for me all those years ago, but i imagine it's still possible. It's just keybinding makes everything much easier!

So it seems the general consensus here is that everyone who play MMORPGs should buy a Gaming Mouse.

Well, yes, they should :P

It's about creating a good overall setup that is comfortable for your body. A gaming mouse isn't just about getting extra buttons, but about getting a mouse (and keyboard, and desk, and monitor, and chair) that will support your body. The longer you spend in any environment, the more important it becomes to ensure that environment will look after you.

I got my gaming mouse partly just because I wanted a bigger mouse more suited to the size of my hands. I don't have particularly big hands, but I found the standard cheap mice would leave pressure pains on the middle of my palms.

Its not even that expensive. I think I spent roughly the same amount of money on a foot rest for my desk as I did my mouse. I mean, when you spend £1000 on a new PC, it doesn't take much to spend another £25 - £30 on a mouse that will be more comfortable and help with gaming.

Yeah, I think I'll look into getting a gaming mouse.  Problem is though, not everyone can afford such amenities.  And not everyone can afford a computer with a price tag of 1k dollars or euros either.
    Well.. wait a moment.

Gaming Mice and even Gaming Keypads are not that expensive.

I use razer because I like they way they feel, they are made tough, and very lasting, my last gaming mouse lasted me 7 years (Which I killed by spilling a whole cup of soda on), but sedmy Keypad is still going after 9 years, so it's not like you end up buying these things every year or so. 

But, even with that, you can get all kinds of other brands that are MUCH cheaper.

Just to run a side by side,

a 12 button RedDragon gaming mouse, is 40 dollars vs a Razer Naga Trinity is 75 dollars. 

Keypads you can get as Naga Orbweaver, for 75 Dollars, or get a DEEBOL for 35 dollars.

These are not bank breakers. 
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,532
    It's about creating a good overall setup that is comfortable for your body. A gaming mouse isn't just about getting extra buttons, but about getting a mouse (and keyboard, and desk, and monitor, and chair) that will support your body. The longer you spend in any environment, the more important it becomes to ensure that environment will look after you. 
    100% agree. You need to get a set up that works for you and is comfortable.

If that is a gaming mouse, or a joystick,or foot pedals, a special chair or standing desk, whatever it is, you need to build that gaming set up that works for you and is comfortable to play in.
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    I have a pretty standard keyboard. I do use a gaming mouse (roccat kova) which has an additional 4 buttons that are easy to use.

I have two of the mouse buttons, which both sit under my thumb, mapped to shift and alt.

1, 2, 3, 4, 5
    Q, E, R, T
    F, G
    Z, X, C

That's 14 skills, and the furthest I have to move is 2 keys....from D to 5 or T.

With the Shift and Alt variations, that gives me 42 keybinds within easy reach. I've yet to play an MMO that gave me 42 useful skills, so this has been enough for me to keybind everything.

Does it take a bit of time to learn? Sure, there is always a learning period, just as there is with every game. I have techniques to reduce the learning time, by binding similar skills to the same keys in each game. 1-5 are usually my rotation skills. Q is usually my biggest hitting skill. E is usually my main CC. R and T tend to be more CC, or taunts, or run buffs. F and G are heals or potions. Z, X and C are usually emergency skills.

I'm a big fan of lots of skills though, so im more than happy to take the time to learn the keybinds. Depth in combat is my most sought after feature, and it's impossible to have depth without complexity. If there were too few skills, the combat would be really shallow (e.g. all action combat) so I wouldn't play it.

If I didn't have a gaming mouse then it would be a bit harder as I'd need to use my little finger to hold shift / control / alt and I'd probably need to drop some of the keybinds. But, I think I could still comfortably hit 24 keybinds, which is still more than is needed in most games.

Finally, you can always mouse click skills if needed. When I started in MMOs, I didn't even really know about keybinding. I managed to raid and pvp successfully for a few years before I even started keybinding. The increased pacing of combat today might make that harder than it was for me all those years ago, but i imagine it's still possible. It's just keybinding makes everything much easier!

So it seems the general consensus here is that everyone who play MMORPGs should buy a Gaming Mouse.

I got my gaming mouse partly just because I wanted a bigger mouse more suited to the size of my hands. I don't have particularly big hands, but I found the standard cheap mice would leave pressure pains on the middle of my palms.

Its not even that expensive. I think I spent roughly the same amount of money on a foot rest for my desk as I did my mouse. I mean, when you spend £1000 on a new PC, it doesn't take much to spend another £25 - £30 on a mouse that will be more comfortable and help with gaming.

Yeah, I think I'll look into getting a gaming mouse.  Problem is though, not everyone can afford such amenities.  And not everyone can afford a computer with a price tag of 1k dollars or euros either.

That's the problem with vertical progression in real life :P

(im mostly joking)

I highly recommend Roccat for gaming mice. Tends not to have as many buttons as some of the other popular mice, but they feel comfortable to me and the additional buttons they do have are more than enough to reach high numbers of keybinds.

Also, I don't think I'd enjoy doing thumb-gymnastics with too many buttons, that strikes me as something that would lead to pain. My thumb isnt exactly nimble, so im happy to just mash the two big extra buttons that I do have!
    Ancient_Exile[Deleted User]

1, 2, 3, 4, 5
    Q, E, R, T
    F, G
    Z, X, C

(im mostly joking)

I highly recommend Roccat for gaming mice. Tends not to have as many buttons as some of the other popular mice, but they feel comfortable to me and the additional buttons they do have are more than enough to reach high numbers of keybinds.

Also, I don't think I'd enjoy doing thumb-gymnastics with too many buttons, that strikes me as something that would lead to pain. My thumb isnt exactly nimble, so im happy to just mash the two big extra buttons that I do have!

Thanks for the information, bro.  I'll definitely take it into consideration.

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Clickers don't understand your issues 

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101

1, 2, 3, 4, 5
    Q, E, R, T
    F, G
    Z, X, C

(im mostly joking)

Having experienced wrist pain, mild carpel, elbow tendonitis I can say the most frequent cause of my pain is my index finger clicking and when I hold the mouse button to move. Thumb does not move away and up and down it slides over the 12 keys. You never actually move it like an the index finger. I have personally found relief from pain after switching to the thumb option. Also you don't have to use all 12 keys you can program the same key for the top three and bottom three and therefore have no problem hitting the key you want and avoid the center buttons. 

There are so many options open to you if you're willing to adapt a little and in the long run it will save you the problems I encountered.
    cameltosisAncient_Exile
    Chamber of Chains
  • KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,171
    I use a Logitech MMO mouse with 12 thumb buttons on the side, and an extra key on top which when held gives each of those buttons alternate key assignments.

That effectively gives me 24 customizable buttons in addition to those in easy reach of WASD on they keyboard. That covers my needs quite well.

There are many options with less side buttons for those that want something less busy and know they will be focusing on games that need less assignments.
    Ancient_Exile
  • KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,171

I think it a worthwhile purchase for anyone that plays MMORPG or other games frequently. I especially favour them in those faster paced.

It is simply a better tool for gaming than a standard mouse in many situations. The exception is many games that would be better played with a controller, which is also helpful to have for those that like playing such.

PC game diversity is best supported by a varied tool box determined by each particular player's interests.
    Ancient_Exile