Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Universal Elements for Success in Future MMOs

Comments

• Ancient_ExileAncient_Exile Member RarePosts: 1,303
    Akulas said:
    You'll either get something that makes someone else money or the ones that aren't like that will be along time between updates.

How dare you say that?
    "If everything was easy, nothing would be hard."

"Show me on the doll where PVP touched you."

(Note:  If I type something in a thread that does not exactly pertain to the stated subject of the thread in every, way, shape, and form, please feel free to send me a response in a Private Message.)

• gto14132gto14132 Member UncommonPosts: 1
    i read just of it , i know i may not be the one to say you are wrong. but for being play PC online game for over 18 years , and console for over 25 years. i think your idea suck.
    the game is not lack of anything u say over on top , infact  most MMORPG got all of them . people dont need fking washe time to lvl , or just want some other race or a class . the time is changing .
    1. no one want to play 6 hrs of the game just to kill monster and get 1% exp.
    2. if the monster drop are better them craft , why the fk u still need craft them??just like all the mmorpg not , only way make money is killing monster(or some are only from quest)
    3.if i get a new classes every 2-3 month , how much u think people going hate the game?? doing all the quest and run all the same boring map over and over again and again. and the only thing they do is make everyone who join later in game to max lvl and max gear. and tell the old player  ,suck it . because u spending all the time and money in game and people can just get it when they update a new classes.
    4. and people dont need to find a good guild . what point of joining a guild when guild don't do shit, by that i mean no point of joining it. because only thing they got is quest and guild war . and alot of people are not gear or skill enough to join those . and dont have the time . what they need is not a good way to find guild. but thing to do in it. with reward.
    and so much wrong with the MMORPG we had and coming out, that no one even think about change it all .(i only saw 2 changed in some MMORPG, job system to weapon system , and trade system with ingame to real money). 
    edited May 2020
    Ungood said:
    @WhiskeyZulu

I want to say you wrote a very good piece, that has a lot of insight. Many of your points while building from existing things, are better pieced in a abstract sense, as you can see, too many are willing to split hairs over pointless nonsense.

So hope you don't mind if I change a few points you made, as we agree on a Abstract sense.

1: Being Unique in What you Can Do.

This is a core aspect of any MMO, a way to divide things up, but more than that, this is way to balance things out with a basic idea of trade offs. IE:  To do higher damage you need to be more fragile, to be able to Heal you need to do less DPS, etc, etc.

This is a basic idea of making players chose a course or path as it were, on how they play the game. For some games it's more flavor than function.

But if we look at the most successful MMO's there almost always is a sense of needing to pick a path, a way to go about playing the game. 

The most common way is classes, mainly because that was what AD&D set things up as, but, in other games like EvE, it can be about the stats of your ship that will denote how you handle situations, but in the end, there is that sense of playing a role.

if you look at many of the AAA MMO's, they help players define their roles, even if they don't lock them down into being a one trick pony, they give them a sense of where they would fit into a group makeup, what place they would be on the team.

Anyone that witnessed the early rise of GW2, this need to have a "role" or a purpose, is paramount important to many gamers, in fact, these roles are so much ingrained into players, that they will look to see what denotes that role in that game.

Think of how many times players approach games with the mentality of "how do I make the best (Role) in this game?"

When games remove that sense of unique placement in the group, they will by default lose that whole demographic that identifies their game by their role. Again, look what happened with GW2, and people crying about needing roles. While GW2 did offer classes, and each class had their own "Unique" flavor, that was not enough for a lot of players that needed things defined into roles, not simply various flavors to the same end result. To be fair, the variation in GW2 classes really shined in PvP far more than they did in PvE, till HoT and the shoehorning of some classes into direct roles.

Now, some players LOVE that sense of being more diverse and games that give it to them can survive on that demographic, the question of course with this OP and this Topic, is not if an MMO can survive on whatever idea they put out, the question is what is something that most successful MMO's do.

In this case, they give players a sense of placement in their team/group/guild, and they do this by some kind of system that most games would call a "Class" no matter what the games technical term might be.

So I agree with you in the Abstract sense that if you look at the MMO's that have been the most successful, they have all given players a sense of having a role (Class) in their game.

(Note: Bold Emphasis added to Ungood's original post.)

"To do higher damage you need to be more fragile, to be able to Heal you need to do less DPS, etc, etc." - Ungood

No, no, no.  That is ungood, Ungood.

Or rather, back to the...

"Forget everything you know, or think you know.  All that you require is your intuition!"

"You must unlearn what you have learned."

Everquest, World of Warcraft, and various other MMORPGs have taught many gamers that Warriors usually do less damage than Rogues and Wizards.  Warriors are generally known as Tanks because they wear heavier armor.  Rogues and Wizards are known as DPS (Damage Per Second) classes because they do more damage but wear lighter armor.  Or no armor at all.  Priests (or Healers), on the other hand, can heal, often wear heavier armor than Rogues and Wizards, but maybe only do around as much damage as Tanks.  Maybe more, maybe less.

Okay, guess what?  That's all stupid and lame.  Say it with me, STUPID & LAME!

EQ & WoW did this because they eschewed the use of NON-COMBAT ABILITIES!

But NON-COMBAT ABILITIES & SPELLS/POWERS are what actually set the different classes apart.

Wizards & Priests have many excellent NON-COMBAT spells/prayers that can be quite useful in many different situations.

Rogues have a few NON-COMBAT abilities that can prove essential to any serious adventuring party.

Warriors actually do pretty decent damage.  You know why?  Because they are stronger, use heavier weapons, and they are BETTER AT FIGHTING (GASP!).  So they actually hit their targets more often than the other classes.  Who, incidentally, focused more of their training on NON-COMBAT ABILITIES!

Oh yeah.  Depending on their specific type, Priests (such as Clerics) can do fairly decent damage as well.  Though not as good as Warriors.
    bcbullyAmaranthar

(Note:  If I type something in a thread that does not exactly pertain to the stated subject of the thread in every, way, shape, and form, please feel free to send me a response in a Private Message.)

• UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,532
    Ungood said:
    @WhiskeyZulu

I want to say you wrote a very good piece, that has a lot of insight. Many of your points while building from existing things, are better pieced in a abstract sense, as you can see, too many are willing to split hairs over pointless nonsense.

So hope you don't mind if I change a few points you made, as we agree on a Abstract sense.

This is a core aspect of any MMO, a way to divide things up, but more than that, this is way to balance things out with a basic idea of trade offs. IE:  To do higher damage you need to be more fragile, to be able to Heal you need to do less DPS, etc, etc.

This is a basic idea of making players chose a course or path as it were, on how they play the game. For some games it's more flavor than function.

But if we look at the most successful MMO's there almost always is a sense of needing to pick a path, a way to go about playing the game. 

The most common way is classes, mainly because that was what AD&D set things up as, but, in other games like EvE, it can be about the stats of your ship that will denote how you handle situations, but in the end, there is that sense of playing a role.

if you look at many of the AAA MMO's, they help players define their roles, even if they don't lock them down into being a one trick pony, they give them a sense of where they would fit into a group makeup, what place they would be on the team.

Anyone that witnessed the early rise of GW2, this need to have a "role" or a purpose, is paramount important to many gamers, in fact, these roles are so much ingrained into players, that they will look to see what denotes that role in that game.

Think of how many times players approach games with the mentality of "how do I make the best (Role) in this game?"

When games remove that sense of unique placement in the group, they will by default lose that whole demographic that identifies their game by their role. Again, look what happened with GW2, and people crying about needing roles. While GW2 did offer classes, and each class had their own "Unique" flavor, that was not enough for a lot of players that needed things defined into roles, not simply various flavors to the same end result. To be fair, the variation in GW2 classes really shined in PvP far more than they did in PvE, till HoT and the shoehorning of some classes into direct roles.

Now, some players LOVE that sense of being more diverse and games that give it to them can survive on that demographic, the question of course with this OP and this Topic, is not if an MMO can survive on whatever idea they put out, the question is what is something that most successful MMO's do.

In this case, they give players a sense of placement in their team/group/guild, and they do this by some kind of system that most games would call a "Class" no matter what the games technical term might be.

So I agree with you in the Abstract sense that if you look at the MMO's that have been the most successful, they have all given players a sense of having a role (Class) in their game.

"To do higher damage you need to be more fragile, to be able to Heal you need to do less DPS, etc, etc." - Ungood

"Forget everything you know, or think you know.  All that you require is your intuition!"

Everquest, World of Warcraft, and various other MMORPGs have taught many gamers that Warriors usually do less damage than Rogues and Wizards.  Warriors are generally known as Tanks because they wear heavier armor.  Rogues and Wizards are known as DPS (Damage Per Second) classes because they do more damage but wear lighter armor.  Or no armor at all.  Priests (or Healers), on the other hand, can heal, often wear heavier armor than Rogues and Wizards, but maybe only do around as much damage as Tanks.  Maybe more, maybe less.

But NON-COMBAT ABILITIES & SPELLS/POWERS are what actually set the different classes apart.

Wizards & Priests have many excellent NON-COMBAT spells/prayers that can be quite useful in many different situations.

Rogues have a few NON-COMBAT abilities that can prove essential to any serious adventuring party.

Warriors actually do pretty decent damage.  You know why?  Because they are stronger, use heavier weapons, and they are BETTER AT FIGHTING (GASP!).  So they actually hit their targets more often than the other classes.  Who, incidentally, focused more of their training on NON-COMBAT ABILITIES!

Oh yeah.  Depending on their specific type, Priests (such as Clerics) can do fairly decent damage as well.  Though not as good as Warriors.
    Have you ever actually played any MMO that removed this trade off?

katzklaw
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

Ungood said:
    Ungood said:
    @WhiskeyZulu

Have you ever imagined how an MMORPG could be made that removed this trade-off?

Ungood said:

I've already played a few.. You should play more and talk less. ;)
    katzklaw
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• katzklawkatzklaw Member UncommonPosts: 101
    sounds boring
    Ungood said:
    Ungood said:

Oh, burn!

You've played a few?  Like what?
    Kyleran

katzklaw said:
    sounds boring

It sounds boring to have dungeons with locked (naturally or magically), deadly traps (that can kill almost character instantly), walls that only a rogue could climb, magically darkened rooms (and how about the need to have a light source in natural darkness?), being able to interact with mobs in different ways than just fighting or running, etc.

Or what?  You just wanna kill stuff? 

Amaranthar

Ungood said:
    Ungood said:

Oh, burn!

LOL. 

Dude.. you really need to talk a LOT less and learn what has already been made, Maybe even play some of it. ;)
    Ancient_Exile

Ungood said:
    Ungood said:
    Ungood said:

Oh, burn!

LOL. 

Dude.. you really need to talk a LOT less and learn what has already been made, Maybe even play some of it. ;)

Yeah, like I've never played MMORPGs in my life.  Don't make me hurt your feelings.

Wait.  You aren't talking about Doldrums & Drudgeries Online are you?
    katzklaw

Ungood said:
    Ungood said:
    Ungood said:

Oh, burn!

LOL. 

Yeah, like I've never played MMORPGs in my life.  Don't make me hurt your feelings.
    Gonna be honest, you come across as having a very small pool of experience to pull from. 

No, Dummy, DDO has classes.
    katzklaw

Ungood said:

Gonna be honest, you come across as having a very small pool of experience to pull from. 

Gonna be honest, you come across as an obnoxious, narrow-minded jerk.

Yeah, I know DDO has classes.  Duh.  When did I ever mention something about not having classes in this thread?
    UngoodAmaranthar

edited May 2020
    Ungood said:

Yeah, I know DDO has classes.  Duh.  When did I ever mention something about not having classes in this thread?
    dude. yer an idiot

classes, by their very nature, imply differences between them. there has to be strengths and weaknesses to each class, or else it's just boring oatmeal mush with everyone being exactly the same.  that's actually part of the fun of a game. at least for me. figuring out how to overcome the "shortcomings" of a particular class. 

without it, a game has no... challenge... lol

note, i'm not saying that any game that incorporates a system where one class is beastly kill all rawr and another class is weak crap that literally no one plays because it's pointless is good. this is bad game design... but the whole concept of give and take... push and pull... giving up a little power for a little flexibility or healing or etc etc... it's integral to games... it's real life. you literally cannot be good at EVERYTHING. no matter what you think.

Ungood
    edited May 2020
    Ungood said:

Says the person that keeps sprouting the same bad ideas built from ignorance time and time and time again.

But for the sake of being polite, I won't say how you come across to me. But here is the heads up, if you think trying to make fun of an MMO makes you look cool, you're even dumber than I give you credit for.

Edit Added:

But you know what. To answer your question.

Wurm (Which you have said you don't like)

Life is Feudal (which you have said you won't play)

Both have your vaunted classless skill based systems.. the fact that you don't play either of them, should be a clue on how awesomely successful your idea is, but, I am going to wager, just like I have said in the past, you won't learn or listen to other people, and you won't take the time to see for yourself.

So you are sprouting an idea from ignorance to people that have seen those ideas in action. and yet think that makes you look.. Smart?

Really?
    katzklawAncient_ExileKyleran

edited May 2020
    Ungood said:
    Ungood said:

Says the person that keeps sprouting the same bad ideas built from ignorance time and time and time again.

But for the sake of being polite, I won't say how you come across to me. But here is the heads up, if you think trying to make fun of an MMO makes you look cool, you're even dumber than I give you credit for.

Is @katzklaw your wife or something?

EDIT:  Right.  Because those games of which you speak are the greatest possible implementations of those ideas that could possibly exist.

And, btw, I like classes.  But I do think that Characters (within classes or not) should be able to choose what skills they learn or don't learn.

katzklaw said:
    Ungood said:

dude. yer an idiot

classes, by their very nature, imply differences between them. there has to be strengths and weaknesses to each class, or else it's just boring oatmeal mush with everyone being exactly the same.  that's actually part of the fun of a game. at least for me. figuring out how to overcome the "shortcomings" of a particular class. 

without it, a game has no... challenge... lol

note, i'm not saying that any game that incorporates a system where one class is beastly kill all rawr and another class is weak crap that literally no one plays because it's pointless is good. this is bad game design... but the whole concept of give and take... push and pull... giving up a little power for a little flexibility or healing or etc etc... it's integral to games... it's real life. you literally cannot be good at EVERYTHING. no matter what you think.

NON-COMBAT SKILLS

A thief can pick pockets, picks locks, find/remove traps, move silently, hide in shadows, detect noise, climb walls/sheer surfaces.

A mage can cast all kinds of non-combat spells.  Same as a priest.

Maybe if these games were made so that they didn't totally center around combat, and opportunities were present whereby non-combat skills could be used, they would be a lot more interesting.  Killing things is not the only way to progress.  Mobs that want to kill us are not the only challenges or obstacles that an MMORPG could contain.

Amaranthar

edited May 2020
    Ungood said:
    Ungood said:

EDIT:  Right.  Because those games of which you speak are the greatest possible implementations of those ideas that could possibly exist.

And, btw, I like classes.  But I do think that Characters (within classes or not) should be able to choose what skills they learn or don't learn.

You just love proving how oblivious and lacking in any common sense you can be. You obviously missed in the topics about DDO that she plays and likes that game and here you are acting like a 3 year old brat with trying to sound edgy by mocking it by calling it a silly name.

I mean, me? I laugh at how pathetic you look doing that, and it just discredits anything you have to say going forward.

To others, they might just think you are that stupid that you need to act like that, and respond accordingly.

Anyway, to Quote Tremblebones "Your idea is stupid and won't work"
    Ancient_ExileAmaranthar

right, because the only way 2 separate people could agree that you're being a moron is if they're shacked up with each other. 
    UngoodAncient_Exile

NON-COMBAT SKILLS

A thief can pick pockets, picks locks, find/remove traps, move silently, hide in shadows, detect noise, climb walls/sheer surfaces.

Maybe if these games were made so that they didn't totally center around combat, and opportunities were present whereby non-combat skills could be used, they would be a lot more interesting.  Killing things is not the only way to progress.  Mobs that want to kill us are not the only challenges or obstacles that an MMORPG could contain.

so why you hatin' on DDO? it has ALL that... and the ability to mix and match as you see fit. sounds like it'd be perfect for you.. but you over here calling it Drudgeries and Dumbasses or whatever... 

dumbass
    UngoodAncient_Exile
  • BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    OP needs to be hired as creative lead at AGS or somewhere similar that is lacking in vision.

MMO players needs are simple like OP explained and the ROOTS go back to D&D or whatever fantasy world people grew up with like Tolkien or even Magic. BEING your CHARACTER/AVATAR is how I would summarize OP's post and being provided all the extras to EXIST in a WORLD not a room.
    Amaranthar
    edited May 2020
    katzklaw said:

NON-COMBAT SKILLS

so why you hatin' on DDO? it has ALL that... and the ability to mix and match as you see fit. sounds like it'd be perfect for you.. but you over here calling it Drudgeries and Dumbasses or whatever... 

dumbass

Because it's boring.  DDO is boring.  Kill mobs, break crates and boxes, pull levers...

Do dungeons, do more dungeons, go outside and kill mobs, do dungeons again, then do some more dungeons.  (It's okay for the first couple levels, but it gets old fast.  Like really fast.)  But If I could manage to force myself to play through it somehow, when I get to max level, I can do more dungeons and do some raids.  After that, I can reincarnate if I want and do it all over again.  Yay.

Sorry, I've already played or tried many MMORPGs, and I'm not that easily entertained.  The complexity of DDO and the ability to use non-combat skills is good, but that's it.  Those are the only two good things about the game.  Oh and besides that you can play the different AD&D races & classes.  But there's absolutely nothing else that interests me.  I had more fun playing BDO and Final Fantasy XIV for a few weeks each. 

Oh, also, I hate hybrid action-combat.  Trying to concentrate on where my character is hitting while keeping track of cooldowns of skills (on the hotbar) is way more irritating than it needs to be.  Or should be.  I'm fine with traditional combat or action combat.  But trying to mix both together doesn't work well.  IMO.
    Post edited by Ancient_Exile on

Anyway.. getting back to the topic, and not allowing the thread to be derailed by whiners.

"Universal Traits of Successful MMO's"

I suppose a metric might be, defining what is success.

Ideally, if we just looked at being successful for their Gen, we would be looking at pretty much, just EQ and WoW.. as.. once WoW launched it crushed everything else on the market and still dominates. 

But what of other games that were, shall we call "Smash Hits" like Day Z for example, that came out of nowhere and was a phenomenon in it's own right.

But ended up being a flash in the pan.

When people talk about what features do the successful MMO's all have in common, that is not the same as features that MMO's have. There a huge number of MMO's that are simply surviving.

Do we define "Not dead yet" as being successful, what benchmark would we use. 

So when people say "Well this MMO does not do that.. and it's still around" does that make it successful? Is that all it takes.. not dying ? 

To use an Example, a lot of people know of EvE, but I wager a lot of people that know of EvE also know that it is not the kind of game they would ever play. Is that suscess? 
    Ancient_Exile

• Morgenes83Morgenes83 Member UncommonPosts: 286
    edited May 2020
    Do agree with the classes.

Levels can also be more skill based and less HP/Mana based

Loot. Do not (or rarely) drop finished gear.
    Drop unique materials which e.g. can refine a standard sword into a unique one.
    Make crafted and dropped gear equal. Let people decide how to obtain their gear. And also balance the effort it takes to craft compared to farming it.

Fast travel. Imho it breaks immersion, it kills social aspects and should be only very rare with a lot of constraints to prevent hour long walks.
    Didnt Vanguard have this system in beta where there was some kind of teleport network so from one point you could only port to certain ones?
    Ancient_Exile

1997 Meridian 59 'til 2019 ESO 

Waiting for Camelot Unchained & Pantheon