Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Big business killed off everything.

delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
edited May 2020 in The Pub at MMORPG.COM

Unless your EA, Bethesda, Ubisoft, Blizzard, 2K Games and a few others your nothing.  Not a chance in hell….. Nothing new here, BUT facts are facts.  

I'm convinced after 2004 World of Warcraft big business took over.  Copy rights and trademarks and worst of all marketing squashed EVERYTHING.  Were in command. 

What happened next ?

They made mmoprg's their way…… No input, not a care in the world about fans or nerds.  ZERO, they locked these people out. 

I talk about 30 day games online a lot….. It needs to be talked about !..... Because it's the problem, yet everyone here sweeps the problem under the rug.  Yet people here still search for reasons why mmorpg's suck.  The problems is in your face yet ignored. 

Action packed thrill rides that last 30 days ARE NOT MMORPG'S.  Putting aside a "definition" it's not what mmorpg players want.  Even if so, 30 days ?  

Big business killed off everything,

- 30 days is all the content investors will allow.

- High end graphics are what consumers demand. 

WANT ANSWERS ?......HERE IT IS.  

Want more proof ?

1960's > 1980's rock music was composed by singers and bands.  Competition was fierce but doable, if you had the talent, luck and motivation to seek out labels.   

Rocketman, The Elton John movie…… This is how it was done !

2020 music is composed by Big Business sponsors…..THEN singers and bands are sought.

Ever notice music is not so popular anymore ?...... Even the Britney Spears era faded away because of legal issues…… It, in it self got complicated.   Elton John wouldn't have a chance in hell. 

Rock music and mmoprg's  

GdemamimmolouViper482Hyperpsycrow

Comments

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    If games/music/whatever you like isn't doing well it's because they're too bad, not because the alternative is too good.
    ShaddyDaddymadazz

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    OP I understand your sentiment, and agree for the most part; however both video games and music are making more than ever just in different forms.
    Kyleranmadazz
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    edited May 2020
    bcbully said:
    OP I understand your sentiment, and agree for the most part; however both video games and music are making more than ever just in different forms.
    I'm convinced everyone plays everything...... "Marketing power" good game or bad.
    30 days later..... Where is everyone ?

This is fine for off line games. 

Music ?....... Big money, but the music is short lived regardless of money made. 
    bcbullyGdemamimmolou
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    OG_Zorvan said:
    After seeing the SJW fiasco that is The Last of Us 2, I'm convinced getting woke and going broke is going to kill off gaming as a whole long before "big business" or anything else. Everything is political, nothing can hurt anyones feelings, the one guy in the world who identifies as a swimming pool and doesn't even game has to be represented in games or your bigoted. 
    Ever notice guys are always dumb in TV commercials ?
    just saying :)

The viewer is not in charge. 
    [Deleted User]MendelHyperpsycrowTuor7
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    OG_Zorvan said:
    After seeing the SJW fiasco that is The Last of Us 2, I'm convinced getting woke and going broke is going to kill off gaming as a whole long before "big business" or anything else. Everything is political, nothing can hurt anyones feelings, the one guy in the world who identifies as a swimming pool and doesn't even game has to be represented in games or your bigoted. 

Well, since the SJW term has simply become a derogatory phrase to express ‘any view clashing with mine’ I think it is perfectly fine to portray us as dumb.

We’ve had decades of white male power fantasies, no reason others can’t have them too.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    GdemamiSovrathcheyane
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    You make it sound like early mmorpgs were knitted by Betsy Ross in her parlor. That's just not factual.

WoW, for example, was made by Blizzard, which already had major games to its credit. And EQ ended up under SOE (Sony). 

Big business brought us these games in the first place. There are few indy success stories.  But now big business has lost its way.
    SovrathKyleranGdemamicheyane

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    OG_Zorvan said:

Actually, many commercials are casting the "parents" in the dumb role, specifically to counter the trend of dumb guys.  Either way, it's rather appalling how dependent marketing is on stereotypes.

But a good observation, @delete5230 .

Gdemami

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    Some of you folks need to branch out some. The past decade has had so many great titles come out both online and single player. If you only want one niche style of an already niche genre, then yea you're probably gonna have some choice issues.

Perhaps a little positivity would help you find the right game and community within said game to prosper. If not then you're the one to blame.
    mmolou[Deleted User]Kyleran
  • AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,801

Big business is what it always was. There's nothing new with that. It's always tried to manipulate the buyer, the suppliers, politics, and everything else. That's the way of the world. Get used to it. 

Either demand better, and vote with your feet, or live with what you have. 
    [Deleted User]KyleranGdemami

Once upon a time....

• BrainyBrainy Member EpicPosts: 2,038
    Its not just MMO's and Music.  Its most of the media / publishing.  They just cant make good investment decisions especially about fantasy.  Take a look at LOTR the movies.  Peter Jackson was turned down by almost every studio for LOTR.  Even then he had to aska personal friend to help open the door.  I mean what kind of morons turned down LOTR.  The people that are deciding these projects are completely incompetent.  I bet you can take a random 10 people off the street and they could pick 80%+ of the flops and 80%+ of the successful movies, yet look at all the trash being funded every year.  You would think they could afford a focus group before they make this trash.

These decision makers are completely disconnected from their customers.
    delete5230Gdemami
  • RemaliRemali Member RarePosts: 914
    Music can be good from small bands but for gaming I prefer the big boys 100%
    At least they give a good product even if overpriced the good games from kickstarter/indie devs are like one in a million
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    edited May 2020
    Remali said:
    Music can be good from small bands but for gaming I prefer the big boys 100%
    At least they give a good product even if overpriced the good games from kickstarter/indie devs are like one in a million
    True story. My dad was a high school teacher. One year he went to a football game at that school. The team was getting beat. Halftime came. The band performed. And it became apparent thst several male band members were huge. Someone shouted out, " well it's no wonder we're losing. All the big boys are in the band!"

There are stll big boys. They are just off doing other things.

delete5230Kylerancheyane

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 2,193
    edited May 2020
    lahnmir said:
    OG_Zorvan said:

... I think it is perfectly fine to portray us as dumb...
    This is the problem. There's nothing wrong with creating or portraying powerful women or insert whatever you want. It's the belittling of others that is the issue. 

Everyone is entitled to their own power fantasies. Just no reason for it to be at the expense of others. 
    Tuor7
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015
    Amathe said:
    You make it sound like early mmorpgs were knitted by Betsy Ross in her parlor. That's just not factual.

WoW, for example, was made by Blizzard, which already had major games to its credit. And EQ ended up under SOE (Sony). 

Big business brought us these games in the first place. There are few indy success stories.  But now big business has lost its way.

Also, big business makes the consoles, makes the computers and/or computer parts.

Without some big business you would be playing board games. And maybe locally made board games as there would be a lot of small distributors around the country that might not even distribute certain games.

Big business is a blessing and a curse. People make it sound like if big business didn't exist we'd have the exact same things we do now just no hassles that come with "big business."

KyleranAmathecheyane
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    the 3 problem areas of gaming right now..
    1 Marketing is feeding the public tons of BS and this is all we see because they are paying websites,streamers,YouTubers to promote their crap.

2 The consumer,as long we support cash shops and early access and sub par games,we will continue to see this trend as the new standard.

3 ALL of these studios are in this for the money,no different than all the streamers on Twitch.So as long as they are designing games around a BUSINESS and not with heart felt passion,we get sub par or crap and LOADS of it.

These early games like UO and EQ were built out of the love for the genre,they played MUDS and DnD and wanted to bring those ideas to life and interact with the world.

It is VERY possible to build a game with true passion as the intent and still maintain a budget and get it out in timely fashion.Not just possible but VERY easily and of course that takes money but if you don't have the money or investors,don't bother because you'll just deliver a half assed game.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

lahnmir said:
    OG_Zorvan said:

This is the problem. There's nothing wrong with creating or portraying powerful women or insert whatever you want. It's the belittling of others that is the issue. 

Everyone is entitled to their own power fantasies. Just no reason for it to be at the expense of others. 
    "And we'll see you next week, when I turn this iron into a steam engine, and Al finds a girl that's actually as dumb as he is."

Hawkaya399

Once upon a time....

lahnmir said:
    OG_Zorvan said:

"And we'll see you next week, when I turn this iron into a steam engine, and Al finds a girl that's actually as dumb as he is."

Out of context
    lahnmir said:
    OG_Zorvan said:

Out of context
    No it's not. lol
    Gdemami

Once upon a time....

lahnmir said:
    OG_Zorvan said:

Out of context
    No it's not. lol
    Explain it then.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    Wizardry said:

These early games like UO and EQ were built out of the love for the genre,they played MUDS and DnD and wanted to bring those ideas to life and interact with the world.

Don't kid yourself, early MMORPGS were created to make money, same as now, just the people building them were not nearly so knowledgeable on exploiting consumer behaviors nor ever really understood how gullible most gamers actually are.

Who knew you could create and sell half built, broken games which make millions ...and gamers would thank you for it?

[Deleted User]Gdemamiimmodiumcheyane

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    There has always been a mix of big business and small indie studios making video games. Atari, Sega, Inteliivision (remember them?) Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft were always in it and dominated the console market.

And there were small studios and sometimes, especially in the early days, solo developers.

Games are no more shit today than they were in '80s and '90s, It's just a much bigger market so yeah it attracts what I like to call the "carpetbaggers" and sometimes they are the ones who call the shots and produce nothing but derivative shit with loot boxes.

But there are also more indies and developer run small studios focused on fun and quality than there have ever been. 

You just have to be better at picking through the crap to find the gems. They're there.
    [Deleted User]immodium
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

Kyleran said:
    Wizardry said:

Don't kid yourself, early MMORPGS were created to make money, same as now, just the people building them were not nearly so knowledgeable on exploiting consumer behaviors nor ever really understood how gullible most gamers actually are.

Who knew you could create and sell half built, broken games which make millions ...and gamers would thank you for it?

I wholeheartedly disagree. The people making them were, and some still do (indie), doing it for the love of creating world's. It's the big name publishers that ruined it for everyone even the developers. 
    Gdemami
  • cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,707
    I don't really know what to say in this thread.

On the one hand, I want to disagree, because without big business we'd be nowhere. Big businesses are extremely important and effective and without them, gaming would suck.

On the other hand, big businesses are very risk averse, and this has resulted in a general stagnation at the top of the gaming industry. I can't really blame them for being risk averse, given the money involved I'd want to do everything to ensure I can make that money back! But, as a consumer, I get disappointed with the lack of innovation.

There are a couple of ways I can see that might help improve the situation in big businesses.

1) Big Data
    The longer the industry has been going, the more data gets generated and it should become possible to get better at analysing the data. I feel like a lot of games designers are just going off "gut feels", like "I think WoW was successful because of X". I feel like better data analysis would results in some better decision making, plus proper data analysis tends to go down well with investors. So, if the designer can back up a controversial design decision with data, I think it's more likely to happen.

2) Proper Research
    Not just looking at data and looking for patterns, but actual scientific research that leads to genuine understanding. I feel that this side of the industry is only just getting started. If you look at something like the film industry, there is a hell of a lot of technical terms, each full understood along with benefits and downsides and a good psychological understanding of how that relates to viewers. We have none of that in the games industry, we can barely agree on terminology, let alone the understanding of how that relates to players.

Some companies have made some strides in this direction. I occasionally hear of developers hiring economists to help design virtual economies, but I've not heard of psychologists being hired to help design games (tho, just because I haven't heard of it, doesn't mean it hasn't happened). Other experts (like authors or architects) only tend to get brought in to flesh out systems that have already been designed.

Gdemami
    lahnmir said:
    OG_Zorvan said:

Out of context
    No it's not. lol
    Explain it then.
    Okay.
    There's an old joke about men and women, especially in families (mom and dad). 
    The women are usually more down to earth, where the men let their testosterone get in the way all to often. And then the men get themselves in a bit of trouble. 
    It's humor that's been played on all the time, and the exact thing that those commercials are playing on. 

That show, Home Improvements, played on that a lot. 
    Tim always making power tools and home appliances "better" and seeing them blow up, Al being the butt of such jokes, etc. 

Do you get it now? See the context? 
    GdemamicheyaneIsilithTehrothmadazz

Once upon a time....

I don't really know what to say in this thread.

On the one hand, I want to disagree, because without big business we'd be nowhere. Big businesses are extremely important and effective and without them, gaming would suck.

On the other hand, big businesses are very risk averse, and this has resulted in a general stagnation at the top of the gaming industry. I can't really blame them for being risk averse, given the money involved I'd want to do everything to ensure I can make that money back! But, as a consumer, I get disappointed with the lack of innovation.

There are a couple of ways I can see that might help improve the situation in big businesses.

1) Big Data
    The longer the industry has been going, the more data gets generated and it should become possible to get better at analysing the data. I feel like a lot of games designers are just going off "gut feels", like "I think WoW was successful because of X". I feel like better data analysis would results in some better decision making, plus proper data analysis tends to go down well with investors. So, if the designer can back up a controversial design decision with data, I think it's more likely to happen.

2) Proper Research
    Not just looking at data and looking for patterns, but actual scientific research that leads to genuine understanding. I feel that this side of the industry is only just getting started. If you look at something like the film industry, there is a hell of a lot of technical terms, each full understood along with benefits and downsides and a good psychological understanding of how that relates to viewers. We have none of that in the games industry, we can barely agree on terminology, let alone the understanding of how that relates to players.

Some companies have made some strides in this direction. I occasionally hear of developers hiring economists to help design virtual economies, but I've not heard of psychologists being hired to help design games (tho, just because I haven't heard of it, doesn't mean it hasn't happened). Other experts (like authors or architects) only tend to get brought in to flesh out systems that have already been designed. 

I think it's impossible to gather data and figure out gamers. They either don't care to, or can't, really explain themselves. 
    Look at WoW Classic's demand and early success, and then the great fall off. 
    I strongly suspect that many, many, gamers realized that what WoW Classic was, was in fact not what they really want. But they thought it was, because...who knows why? 

Do you think those gamers will ever explain this? Nope, they won't. It's embarrassing and they may not understand it yet themselves. 

The next great game will build something great based on their own thinking and understanding of the human animal (and be right about it). 
    Gdemami

Once upon a time....

This discussion has been closed.