Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LOTRO reported as having a data breach FEB 2020?

RhoklawRhoklaw Member EpicPosts: 6,891
I've had a few safeguards up for a while now because data breaches are a dime a dozen. It seems LOTRO was reported as having one such data breach back in February 2020. Not sure if anyone was aware of this, but just to be safe, you may wish to change your password.

Gdemami

Comments

• NeblessNebless Member RarePosts: 1,393
    Do you have any links to where you got your information from?  Because I'm not seeing anything and SSG's been good about reporting stuff like that in the past.

SWG (pre-cu) - AoC (pre-f2p) - PotBS (pre-boarder) - DDO - LotRO (pre-f2p) - STO - GnH (beta tester) - SWToR - Neverwinter

• RhoklawRhoklaw Member EpicPosts: 6,891

Lord of the Rings Online breach

February 2020

In February 2020, Lord of the Rings Online 's database was allegedly breached. Even if you don't use your Lord of the Rings Online account anymore, it's important to protect any info that was exposed.

Exposed Info

Password

Email address

*******@*******.***

GdemamiNebless

edited May 13
    Ummm, OK, allegedly breached.   And any chance you have an actual link saying that.
    Post edited by Nebless on

SWG (pre-cu) - AoC (pre-f2p) - PotBS (pre-boarder) - DDO - LotRO (pre-f2p) - STO - GnH (beta tester) - SWToR - Neverwinter

• Mylan12Mylan12 Member UncommonPosts: 266
    This is the only thing I seen elsewhere about this.
    edited May 13
    Doesn't look like it went anywhere.  I know I used to get emails like that while I had credit monitoring going on.  All of them seem to be from the large breach back in 2016 and every time the information was sold on the Dark Web it would kick up a report on it.

That stuff's also where the 'ransom' emails come from; 'I watched you via your webcam and your account name was X and password was Y'.

Well, yea it was .... back in 2016 about a dozen passwords ago.  And his statement of 'The password it displayed was a legitimate password that I used to use' sounds like my example.

While it doesn't hurt to change your passwords on ALL things from time to time, It doesn't look like this one was really a breach.

• RhoklawRhoklaw Member EpicPosts: 6,891
    Better to be safe than sorry. As you stated, changing passwords regularly is probably best, but not very many people do that, which is why I posted this thread.
    Gdemami