Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LOTRO reported as having a data breach FEB 2020?

RhoklawRhoklaw Member LegendaryPosts: 7,290
I've had a few safeguards up for a while now because data breaches are a dime a dozen. It seems LOTRO was reported as having one such data breach back in February 2020. Not sure if anyone was aware of this, but just to be safe, you may wish to change your password.

Gdemami

Comments

• NeblessNebless Member RarePosts: 1,486
    Do you have any links to where you got your information from?  Because I'm not seeing anything and SSG's been good about reporting stuff like that in the past.

SWG (pre-cu) - AoC (pre-f2p) - PotBS (pre-boarder) - DDO - LotRO (pre-f2p) - STO - GnH (beta tester) - SWToR - Neverwinter

• RhoklawRhoklaw Member LegendaryPosts: 7,290

Lord of the Rings Online breach

February 2020

In February 2020, Lord of the Rings Online 's database was allegedly breached. Even if you don't use your Lord of the Rings Online account anymore, it's important to protect any info that was exposed.

Exposed Info

Password

Email address

*******@*******.***

GdemamiNebless

edited May 13
    Ummm, OK, allegedly breached.   And any chance you have an actual link saying that.
    Post edited by Nebless on

SWG (pre-cu) - AoC (pre-f2p) - PotBS (pre-boarder) - DDO - LotRO (pre-f2p) - STO - GnH (beta tester) - SWToR - Neverwinter

• Mylan12Mylan12 Member UncommonPosts: 281
    This is the only thing I seen elsewhere about this.
    edited May 13
    Doesn't look like it went anywhere.  I know I used to get emails like that while I had credit monitoring going on.  All of them seem to be from the large breach back in 2016 and every time the information was sold on the Dark Web it would kick up a report on it.

That stuff's also where the 'ransom' emails come from; 'I watched you via your webcam and your account name was X and password was Y'.

Well, yea it was .... back in 2016 about a dozen passwords ago.  And his statement of 'The password it displayed was a legitimate password that I used to use' sounds like my example.

While it doesn't hurt to change your passwords on ALL things from time to time, It doesn't look like this one was really a breach.

• RhoklawRhoklaw Member LegendaryPosts: 7,290
    Better to be safe than sorry. As you stated, changing passwords regularly is probably best, but not very many people do that, which is why I posted this thread.
    Gdemami

• CuddleheartCuddleheart Member UncommonPosts: 125
    edited July 8
    Every time someone brings up this data breech, I have seen someone else respond that it's an earlier breech and every time the list pops up on the dark web, you get a notification.

I'm not sure, but I can say that rumor has it that there have been a lot of resellers for lifetime accounts lately and as far as I know, those were only offered in preorder and first anniversary or something.
    Every time someone brings up this data breech, I have seen someone else respond that it's an earlier breech and every time the list pops up on the dark web, you get a notification.
    Well if you can link something that goes beyond ' allegedly breached' I'm sure we'd all love to see it as things like data breeches shouldn't be kept under wraps and the rare times it has happened to gaming companies they're pretty quick to let their players know.

And YES, if you have credit monitoring you'll get an alert anytime your info (ssn, email, passwords, etc....) pop up on the dark web.  That's pretty much THE purpose of credit monitoring.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 18,117
    If i am the owner of a business  and my data was breached ,i would be shutting it all down immediately and there are legal reasons why SSG would NEED to shut it down.

However that is not happening,so something else is going on inside SSG and something they will likely not share because it might condemn them and owe users a lot.
    Just another road bump in the weird world of the internet.

My 3 guesses
    1 Hardly anyone working at SSG to notice
    2 bandwidth issues because someone didn't pay their bills
    3 Internal changes being made and rather than tell the people and feel they owe users downtime,they are trying to pull it off under the radar.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.