Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Studio Behind MMO Ember Sword Changes Name, Sees New Team Members

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited April 2020 in News & Features Discussion

imageStudio Behind MMO Ember Sword Changes Name, Sees New Team Members

The team behind Ember Sword has changed the name of the studio, and have new team members to boot.

Read the full story here

Comments

• FranawesomFranawesom Newbie CommonPosts: 1
    I am very excited for this game can't wait to see more
    Phaedruslives
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    That is a very unique art style. Not my thing, but a lot of people will like it.

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• sschruppsschrupp Member UncommonPosts: 684
    Never heard of it, but looks kind of neat. Is it just me, or in the "About>The Team" did they just paste bad selfies onto some random building for a backdrop?
  • TacticalZombehTacticalZombeh Member UncommonPosts: 430
    Lol those team pics are terrible, but then I thought about the world we're living in... and yea, they probably are bad "self isolation" selfies. Can't really fault them for it too much.
  • Shiro_LongtailShiro_Longtail Member UncommonPosts: 10
    I've never even heard of this game
  • Ancient_ExileAncient_Exile Member RarePosts: 1,303
    edited May 2020

I don't like the graphics.  But if it's really well-designed and the gameplay is good, I might try it.
    Post edited by Ancient_Exile on
    "If everything was easy, nothing would be hard."

"Show me on the doll where PVP touched you."

(Note:  If I type something in a thread that does not exactly pertain to the stated subject of the thread in every, way, shape, and form, please feel free to send me a response in a Private Message.)

• Allwynd_01Allwynd_01 Member UncommonPosts: 193
    The game is one of those blockchain kind of games where it has some weird mechanics and I don't trust that stuff...

As far as I understand it, this blockchain crap works similar to crypto mining and when used in a game, they kind of use your hardware to mine/generate something and they try to explain it like you're somehow benefiting from it.

I may have understood the concept in a wrong way, but I just don't trust that kind of crap and would never play this game and others with blockchain trash in them because of that, otherwise it looks like an OK game.
    GdemamiGreatness
  • Ancient_ExileAncient_Exile Member RarePosts: 1,303
    The game is one of those blockchain kind of games where it has some weird mechanics and I don't trust that stuff...

As far as I understand it, this blockchain crap works similar to crypto mining and when used in a game, they kind of use your hardware to mine/generate something and they try to explain it like you're somehow benefiting from it.

I may have understood the concept in a wrong way, but I just don't trust that kind of crap and would never play this game and others with blockchain trash in them because of that, otherwise it looks like an OK game.

Where did you read about the blockchain thing?
    "If everything was easy, nothing would be hard."

"Show me on the doll where PVP touched you."

(Note:  If I type something in a thread that does not exactly pertain to the stated subject of the thread in every, way, shape, and form, please feel free to send me a response in a Private Message.)

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I don't like the graphics.  But if it's really well-designed and the gameplay is good, I might try it.

I share the same sentiment's as you do,if there is a game under the cheap hood then just maybe it is playable,however.....
    It might look all cutesy but there is more under the hood.
    1 It's a cash shop game,that is never good.
    2 These upstart devs only attain investors if they see the potential to large profits from obviously dubious systems,like rmt/cash shops.

So what is under the hood?Well obviously i do not have ALL the information or even enough information to draw the bigger complete picture but i see smoke and where there is smoke there is.....

This looks like the NEW scummy gimmick we are going to see for the next decade and just like cash shops and loot boxes we have had in the past,this likely succeeds in exploiting dumb people.

This is already at least the second blockchain game this site has advertised to us in the last week so yeah we can expect this trend to grow exponentially as all the new small studios look for ways to generate revenue.These games use a type of cryptocurrency code.This is tied into the game's currency and i smell a very big picture of things going wrong here.

SO what else is going on under the hood?Selling land plots...ummm yeah exactly but hey they claim no p2w here...sigh.WE already see how much money GTA online is generating through their gta dollars,this is one of the biggest black marks on gaming,welcome to 2020 business>gaming.
    Ancient_Exile

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• Allwynd_01Allwynd_01 Member UncommonPosts: 193
    edited May 2020

Where did you read about the blockchain thing?

Title of the video: #EmberSword #BlockchainMMO #MMORPG Ember Sword: New Upcoming F2P MMORPG Powered By Ethereum Blockchain
    Ancient_Exile
  • oriya9oriya9 Member UncommonPosts: 65
    edited May 2020
    Man, I really like the art style of this game.

Not sure about the whole blockchain stuff though.
    Their "PIXEL Tokens" are no longer ERC-20. And their reason for the switch? According to them:

As long as our in-game premium currency, PIXEL, was an ERC-20 cryptocurrency token, we would have to force players through lengthy “Know-Your-Customer” (KYC) and “Anti-Money-Laundering” (AML) tests to prove their identity before they could acquire PIXEL.

So basically they came out with a new token, which is partially ERC-721, only to avoid KYC and AML practices required by either regular payment processors or the law itself.
    And they don't even try to hide it, they say it plain and simple on their website:

That in itself already removes the need for KYC and AML procedures, which creates a much smoother onboarding process and opens up the game and premium in-game economy to everyone around the world.

This is not something I want in gaming. There have been too many eyes on gaming lately anyways (with all the lootboxes stuff and whatnot).
    A shame, the game looks quite cool and like I said, I really like the art style.
  • anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,903
    Looks like an Albion Online,  but with cute graphics. 

Hearing about it being a blockchain game is unfortunate.  People put way to much hype into something that is just a publicly accessible ledger.  

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

• KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    Interesting conceptually, let's see how it works in practice.
  • jorisshhjorisshh Member UncommonPosts: 1
    Hey everyone. Ember Sword dev here.

I noticed there was a lot of misconceptions about the blockchain part, so I figured I'd elaborate more on how this system works.

Ember Sword uses a blockchain for its collectables and land. A collectable can be something like a cape, hat, emote, character skin or many other things. These cosmetics are found in-game through end-game gameplay; In other words, you don't have to buy expensive cosmetics from us, you can find them through gameplay.

If you, however, do want to buy a cosmetic you can do so directly from another player (as they're not account-bound), or via a third party website, like OpenSea.

The blockchain makes trading via third parties possible and provably safe.

We'll NEVER mine on your machine. The blockchain simply allows you to trade cosmetics between domains (e.g. on a third party website) safely without the fear of the middleman stealing your cosmetic or not paying you.

The way Ember Sword makes money is by charging players a small percentage every time they trade a cosmetic. The benefit of this system is that players can find rare items in-game without having to pay for them, while still maintaining the ability to trade or sell them.

Additionally, there's also a monthly subscription plan, where users will gain small conveniences, like extra bank slots and a new cosmetic every month; No competitive advantages will be obtainable from the monthly subscription. And don't worry, the standard amount of bank slots will be plenty for 99% of players.

As for land ownership; Each land plot is an erc721 crypto-token, like cosmetics. This means it can also be traded in Ember Sword, or via third party exchanges.

There will be a fixed amount of land plots. These land plots are non-instanced and exist in the open world, meaning, that not every player will get to own a plot of land. To counter this, players can rent out pieces of their land to other players.

And finally. You can play Ember Sword completely without ever touching any crypto or blockchain parts. Ember Sword is first and foremost an MMORPG, not a crypto collectable game.

If you have any questions I'd be happy to answer them here on our discord server ( discord.gg/embersword )
    Ancient_Exile
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919
    I like the graphics but the blockchain thing and using our CPU/GPU not sure which isn't something I can ever be comfortable with.