Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The RPG Files: Trials of Mana Review

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited April 2020 in News & Features Discussion

imageThe RPG Files: Trials of Mana Review

Trials of Mana is a fantastic remake of an Action RPG that tragically never came to the West until recently. It is evident that great care has been taken to create an experience as close to the original as possible, although liberties to improve upon the story should have been taken on. Although the combat may get repetitive and boss battles are rarely challenging, Trials has a ton of charm and fun that is easily accessible for new players and old fans alike.

Read the full story here

Comments

• SparkaSparka Member UncommonPosts: 52
    Game has controller problems...and they didn't bother to patch it. Buttons are all mixed up and labeled wrong...refunded right away.
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,838
    edited April 2020
    I have it on the Switch. I'm almost done with my first playthrough (Hawkeye, Riesz, and Kevin), and I'm having a good time.

This is not some deep, incredible story JRPG. It's not Final Fantasy 7 Remake. It's not Xenoblade. Or Fire Emblem. Hell, it's not even Dragon Quest.

What it actually is, and what one might enjoy it for, is a short, simple, fun action dungeon crawler with high replayability. It has multiple different story routes depending on your main character. Each character has alternate class lines to further mix things up. It's good for quick pick up and play sessions, and it makes a great palette cleanser between bigger games. I recommend the Switch version for that reason, because the quick start and sleep mode features of the Switch really complement that.

It's the definition of a 7/10 game (not in game reviewer softball terms where everything below a 7 is bad, but actual 10 point scale), and sometimes that's just fine. 
    Valdheim
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Aeander said:
    I have it on the Switch. I'm almost done with my first playthrough (Hawkeye, Riesz, and Kevin), and I'm having a good time.

This is not some deep, incredible story JRPG. It's not Final Fantasy 7 Remake. It's not Xenoblade. Or Fire Emblem. Hell, it's not even Dragon Quest.

What it actually is, and what one might enjoy it for, is a short, simple, fun action dungeon crawler with high replayability. It has multiple different story routes depending on your main character. Each character has alternate class lines to further mix things up. It's good for quick pick up and play sessions, and it makes a great palette cleanser between bigger games. I recommend the Switch version for that reason, because the quick start and sleep mode features of the Switch really complement that.

It's the definition of a 7/10 game (not in game reviewer softball terms where everything below a 7 is bad, but actual 10 point scale), and sometimes that's just fine. 
    Just bought Indivisible, putting my money on that one  ;)

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914

Aeander said:

Any fan of Fire Emblem should be playing Wyldermyth ...

your Welcome :)

https://store.steampowered.com/app/763890/Wildermyth/
    Ancient_Exile
  • Ancient_ExileAncient_Exile Member RarePosts: 1,303
    I played Secret of Mana on SNES.
    "If everything was easy, nothing would be hard."

"Show me on the doll where PVP touched you."

(Note:  If I type something in a thread that does not exactly pertain to the stated subject of the thread in every, way, shape, and form, please feel free to send me a response in a Private Message.)

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,838
    Scorchien said:

Aeander said:

Any fan of Fire Emblem should be playing Wyldermyth ...

your Welcome :)

https://store.steampowered.com/app/763890/Wildermyth/
    I'll wish list it for now. Not exactly big on Early Access. 
    Ancient_Exile
  • RaxeonRaxeon Member UncommonPosts: 2,283

Sparka said:

Game has controller problems...and they didn't bother to patch it. Buttons are all mixed up and labeled wrong...refunded right away.

thats the pc versio tho not the ps4 version there reviewing
  • moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530
    Daily Reminder, FFXV still has a 9.0.

That being said the biggest con for me was mistranslation. I do wish that NG+ was a bit better, but it's free and extra, can't fault them for adding free stuff last minute that wasn't planned.

I'd probably be upset that it didn't have a cliche story, thinking back to 95, the only JRPG that wasn't "Star Wars" or "Hero chases Relic to save the world", was what? Phantasy Star 4?