Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wanted: PVE MMORPG That Accepts New Players

Comments

• NeblessNebless Member RarePosts: 1,835
    edited April 2020
    AlBQuirky said:
    I haven't looked and you seem to be "in the know", so what happens after May 31st? Are the expansions still on my PC, or will they need to be "paid for" then?

and

So as long as you pay your $15 subscription, you have access to all?

Or will LotR seek it's $170 then?
    Once the free period finally ends, it'll revert back to normal.  Which means anything you haven't bought, you don't 'have'.   

Now you'll be able to finish any quests you've got active and complete any deeds you started.  You just won't be able to start any new one's.

None of this effects the Epic Quest line or the Bingo Boffins quest line as those are free always (with the exception of the paid side trip with the Epic through Helm's Deep, but you can bypass that part so no real loss).

OK for part 2:

Having a sub only get's you access to the various REGIONS (the smaller map areas).  Everyone needs to buy the expansions, it's just that a sub also get's you 500 store points each month to put towards those expansion purchases.

LotRO has NEVER had you pay $170 up front to keep playing. So no and since it's up to you 'really no'.  Now if you want to continue questing in that expansion you made it into, you'll need to pony up the cost is for that region.

The thing is anyone that slams on the cost of expansions always looks at the Online Market Place which deals in real dollars.  And if you want the top of the line with all the fancy extra's that's where you have to go.  For anyone that's just interested in playing, you buy from the ingame store, which means right now without any point sales going on $34.99 will get you 3150 points and the base quest pack of an expansion (not Helm's Deep) will cost you 1995 of those points (higher cost if you want the raids etc... in that area).  With regions costing 795 points.

Of course you're also earning store points for just playing by completing deeds so you might not really need to spend any money at all.

All I really know is since the free period started I've made it through the Rohan and Helm's Deep expansions and the Western Gondor region all FREE saving myself almost $60 and with the added month I'll finish Central Gondor easy, another 795 point savings.

All while racking up store points from that playing to fund things when the free period ends.
    AlBQuirky

SWG (pre-cu) - AoC (pre-f2p) - PotBS (pre-boarder) - DDO - LotRO (pre-f2p) - STO (pre-f2p) - GnH (beta tester) - SWTOR - Neverwinter

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    I'm 57 and I can relate to the OP.  But playing mmorpgs requires having patience with a monumental number of self-important dickheads. It's really more about finding the right people to play with, than finding the right game. I suggest you look up The Old Timers guild. Thry play many different games and for them it's all about having fun.
    KyleranAncient_ExileAlBQuirky

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    edited April 2020
    I know it's an unpopular choice, not really a MMORPG by most definitions, and has no large scale raids like WOW or FFXIV but if you really want a good, friendly PVE experience consider playing FO76 / Wastelanders. 

The asshattery quotient really is one of the lowest I've seen in the last ten years.

You'll thank me later.  ;)

Unless of course you are looking for a well made canvas bag, (or bug free game) definitely don't bother then.
    Amathe

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• CaffynatedCaffynated Member RarePosts: 753
    Black Desert is basically free, super accessible to casuals except for the very late game that takes even hardcore players years to reach. You can pretty easily gear up to TET/TRI gear and enjoy all but a few areas.

The "Raids" are all open world bosses that have dozens of players at them. Nobody cares if you suck or screw up, because it only affects you, so there's no toxicity.

Guilds are hugely important and a major source of income and community. There are hundreds of newbie friendly guilds to choose from including ones for older gamers.

There's technically open world PvP, but other than an occasional gank over a hotly contested rotation (a series of optimally placed mob spawns) it pretty much never happens. The newbie channels (Olvia) are PvE only, and even on normal channels nobody can attack you until you do your level 50 quest. There is no penalty for being killed in PvP unless you are negative karma (which only comes from killing innocents and horses).

As an older individual, you will probably want to stay away from the faster classes and stick to Witch/Wizard (female/male semi-mirrors) which have big slow spells and low action per minute requirements. I switched to Witch after developing repetitive stress injuries playing fast action/animation cancel classes and never looked back.

When you hit 56 choose awakening instead of succession. It's more powerful/damaging until very high AP, has larger AoEs, more protective skills, requires far fewer skillpoints to max out and is generally easier and superior for most content.

• Ancient_ExileAncient_Exile Member RarePosts: 1,303
    Nebless said:
    AlBQuirky said:
    I haven't looked and you seem to be "in the know", so what happens after May 31st? Are the expansions still on my PC, or will they need to be "paid for" then?

and

So as long as you pay your $15 subscription, you have access to all?

Or will LotR seek it's $170 then?
    Once the free period finally ends, it'll revert back to normal.  Which means anything you haven't bought, you don't 'have'.   

Now you'll be able to finish any quests you've got active and complete any deeds you started.  You just won't be able to start any new one's.

None of this effects the Epic Quest line or the Bingo Boffins quest line as those are free always (with the exception of the paid side trip with the Epic through Helm's Deep, but you can bypass that part so no real loss).

OK for part 2:

Having a sub only get's you access to the various REGIONS (the smaller map areas).  Everyone needs to buy the expansions, it's just that a sub also get's you 500 store points each month to put towards those expansion purchases.

LotRO has NEVER had you pay $170 up front to keep playing. So no and since it's up to you 'really no'.  Now if you want to continue questing in that expansion you made it into, you'll need to pony up the cost is for that region.

The thing is anyone that slams on the cost of expansions always looks at the Online Market Place which deals in real dollars.  And if you want the top of the line with all the fancy extra's that's where you have to go.  For anyone that's just interested in playing, you buy from the ingame store, which means right now without any point sales going on $34.99 will get you 3150 points and the base quest pack of an expansion (not Helm's Deep) will cost you 1995 of those points (higher cost if you want the raids etc... in that area).  With regions costing 795 points.

Of course you're also earning store points for just playing by completing deeds so you might not really need to spend any money at all.

All I really know is since the free period started I've made it through the Rohan and Helm's Deep expansions and the Western Gondor region all FREE saving myself almost $60 and with the added month I'll finish Central Gondor easy, another 795 point savings.

All while racking up store points from that playing to fund things when the free period ends.

I don't like Lotro, but, honestly, $170 isn't much compared to F2P MMORPGs with Cash Shops.  In many of those kinds of games (such as Neverwinter), you could pay a lot more than that and still be nowhere near the top tier of the gaming elite.  As in the players with characters that have the highest Gear Scores and who can successfully complete the most difficult end game content.
    Ungood
    "If everything was easy, nothing would be hard."

"Show me on the doll where PVP touched you."

(Note:  If I type something in a thread that does not exactly pertain to the stated subject of the thread in every, way, shape, and form, please feel free to send me a response in a Private Message.)

Black Desert is basically free, super accessible to casuals except for the very late game that takes even hardcore players years to reach. You can pretty easily gear up to TET/TRI gear and enjoy all but a few areas.

The "Raids" are all open world bosses that have dozens of players at them. Nobody cares if you suck or screw up, because it only affects you, so there's no toxicity.

Guilds are hugely important and a major source of income and community. There are hundreds of newbie friendly guilds to choose from including ones for older gamers.

There's technically open world PvP, but other than an occasional gank over a hotly contested rotation (a series of optimally placed mob spawns) it pretty much never happens. The newbie channels (Olvia) are PvE only, and even on normal channels nobody can attack you until you do your level 50 quest. There is no penalty for being killed in PvP unless you are negative karma (which only comes from killing innocents and horses).

As an older individual, you will probably want to stay away from the faster classes and stick to Witch/Wizard (female/male semi-mirrors) which have big slow spells and low action per minute requirements. I switched to Witch after developing repetitive stress injuries playing fast action/animation cancel classes and never looked back.

When you hit 56 choose awakening instead of succession. It's more powerful/damaging until very high AP, has larger AoEs, more protective skills, requires far fewer skillpoints to max out and is generally easier and superior for most content.

My general feeling after playing Black Desert is that it's mainly for players who want to stare at hot 3D chicks wearing skimpy clothing.

(Note:  If I type something in a thread that does not exactly pertain to the stated subject of the thread in every, way, shape, and form, please feel free to send me a response in a Private Message.)

My general feeling after playing Black Desert is that it's mainly for players who want to stare at hot 3D chicks wearing skimpy clothing.
    Err...who doesn't? :)

Well not those who play for the opposing team I suppose 

Cheers.
    Ancient_ExileCaffynatedAlBQuirky

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

edited April 2020
    Kyleran said:

Err...who doesn't? :)

Well not those who play for the opposing team I suppose 

Cheers.

I'm not saying it's wrong.  That's part of what kept me playing a little longer.  However, there just wasn't much to keep me motivated to play beyond that after leveling past 50.  I forget what level I actually managed to reach with my well-endowed and voluptuous Dark Knight.  And I don't feel like downloading the game again to find out.  Not right now anyway.  Maybe later.

P.S. I think Raid: Shadow Legends might possibly have hotter chicks than Black Desert. 

• MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    I think we lost the OP, guys.
    AlBQuirky
    edited April 2020
    I think we lost the OP, guys.

Maybe he's playing Black Desert.

Skip to 6:20

Ungood

edited April 2020

BDO is a game for people who like open world sandparks with a ton of things to do. Grind mobs, explore, quest, farm, tame horses, train and breed horses for better mounts, race horses, fish, build a boat and fight sea monsters, craft, trade, do world bosses, dark rift solo bosses, cook, guild quests, and of course there's lots of organized guild PvP (they've even added gear score caps to some nodes so newbs can get involved) and solo PvP in arena or open world on Arsha (the PvP server with no karma loss).
    edited April 2020

BDO is a game for people who like open world sandparks with a ton of things to do. Grind mobs, explore, quest, farm, tame horses, train and breed horses for better mounts, race horses, fish, build a boat and fight sea monsters, craft, trade, do world bosses, dark rift solo bosses, cook, guild quests, and of course there's lots of organized guild PvP (they've even added gear score caps to some nodes so newbs can get involved) and solo PvP in arena or open world on Arsha (the PvP server with no karma loss).

Sandpark... 

In theme parks, we get to choose what rides we go on.  We don't have to follow a linear path right after we buy a ticket and enter through the gates.  And not all of the rides are roller coasters.  There's even events and other attractions (such as performances/shows and even petting zoos).  Places to eat, stores to shop in, etc.

Anyway, when I played BDO, the fastest way to acquire power and wealth was grinding mobs.  All the other possible activities paled in comparison to the efficiency of just grinding mobs.  And since acquiring personal wealth and power is the main goal (as in 90%+ of MMORPGs), all the other possible activities just seemed like mild distractions in comparison to grinding mobs. 

Sandpark... 

In theme parks, we get to choose what rides we go on.  We don't have to follow a linear path right after we buy a ticket and enter through the gates.  And not all of the rides are roller coasters.  There's even events and other attractions.  Places to eat, stores to shop in, etc.

Anyway, when I played BDO, the fastest way to acquire power and wealth was grinding mobs.  All the other possible activities paled in comparison to the efficiency of just grinding mobs.  And since acquiring personal wealth and power is the main goal (as in 90%+ of MMORPGs), all the other possible activities just seemed like mild distractions in comparison to grinding mobs. 

If you ruin the game for yourself, you have no one to blame but yourself. There's not a magical finish line to race toward, so what's the point of rushing? Stop and smell the flowers. Enjoy the game and experience everything it has to offer. I enjoy breeding horses and then selling them for almost a billion each. I grind when I have large XP and skill XP boosts to use, do my dark rifts when they're up, and hit up any world bosses that spawn while I'm on, but I don't see any point in beating my face against the grind until I don't enjoy it anymore.

It's a game. Try to have fun.
    AlBQuirky
    edited April 2020

Sandpark... 

In theme parks, we get to choose what rides we go on.  We don't have to follow a linear path right after we buy a ticket and enter through the gates.  And not all of the rides are roller coasters.  There's even events and other attractions.  Places to eat, stores to shop in, etc.

If you ruin the game for yourself, you have no one to blame but yourself. There's not a magical finish line to race toward, so what's the point of rushing? Stop and smell the flowers. Enjoy the game and experience everything it has to offer. I enjoy breeding horses and then selling them for almost a billion each. I grind when I have large XP and skill XP boosts to use, do my dark rifts when they're up, and hit up any world bosses that spawn while I'm on, but I don't see any point in beating my face against the grind until I don't enjoy it anymore.

It's a game. Try to have fun.
    Player characters don't need to eat, drink, or sleep.  Clothes don't wear out.  So there's no basis for a real in-game economy.  Homes aren't all that important.  I don't think we can buy, earn, or buy castles.  What about NPC retainers/hirelings/henchmen/subordinates?  I know we can buy pets so we don't have to spend so much time picking up the loot all the time.  And the mobs respawn really fast on purpose to encourage us to buy pets.  Are Factions of any importance in the game?  Do good or evil alignments really matter that much?  And doesn't everyone start in one place and follow the same pretty much linear quest path regardless of class or race?  Well, there's more points I could raise, but I hope you're getting the picture.  I don't think our options are all that wide-open in BDO at all.

Player characters don't need to eat, drink, or sleep.  Clothes don't wear out.  So there's no basis for a real in-game economy.  Homes aren't all that important.  I don't think we can buy, earn, or buy castles.  What about NPC retainers/hirelings/henchmen/subordinates?  I know we can buy pets so we don't have to spend so much time picking up the loot all the time.  And the mobs respawn really fast on purpose to encourage us to buy pets.  Are Factions of any importance in the game?  Do good or evil alignments really matter that much?  And doesn't everyone follow the same pretty much linear quest path regardless of class or race?  Well, there's more points I could raise, but I hope you're getting the point.  I don't think our options are all that wide-open in BDO at all.

Having a home and decorating it the way you want is enjoyable to a lot of people. It's also where you install advanced crafting stations.

Castles are part of the guild warfare mechanic.

You can have a vast NPC hireling empire that craft and harvest for you.

There aren't any factions in the game besides positive/negative karma.

The main story quest branches at multiple points so you can choose what kind of experience you will have while leveling. There are more combat oriented lines and more dialogue oriented ones.

edited April 2020
    Player characters don't need to eat, drink, or sleep.  Clothes don't wear out.  So there's no basis for a real in-game economy.  Homes aren't all that important.  I don't think we can buy, earn, or buy castles.  What about NPC retainers/hirelings/henchmen/subordinates?  I know we can buy pets so we don't have to spend so much time picking up the loot all the time.  And the mobs respawn really fast on purpose to encourage us to buy pets.  Are Factions of any importance in the game?  Do good or evil alignments really matter that much?  And doesn't everyone follow the same pretty much linear quest path regardless of class or race?  Well, there's more points I could raise, but I hope you're getting the point.  I don't think our options are all that wide-open in BDO at all.

Having a home and decorating it the way you want is enjoyable to a lot of people. It's also where you install advanced crafting stations.

The main story quest branches at multiple points so you can choose what kind of experience you will have while leveling. There are more combat oriented lines and more dialogue oriented ones.

Having homes and decorating them.  I already did that in Everquest 2.  Could also place my own crafting stations in homes or guild halls.

How do the castles work in this guild warfare mechanic?  I never joined a guild. 

Oh, yeah, I forgot you can have hirelings to do stuff for you.  You're right.  That's what beer is for.  Though I wish my characters could partake sometimes as well.  (In Everquest 2, your character could drink alcohol, get drunk, and even raise his/her alcohol tolerance.) But you can't hire NPCs (like mercenaries) to adventure with you, can you?  You could do that in Everquest 2.

Yeah, I think Factions are missing from a lot of MMORPGs.  Factions are important in the real world and pretty much any Medieval Fantasy story you could think of.  And in Sci-fi stories as well.

I don't remember the main story branching off too much.  Was that always the case or was that introduced later?  At what point do the branches occur.  And how different of an experience do they really offer?

edited April 2020

Are there really players that will buy horses for almost a billion each?  If so, that's crazy.  IMHO, millions and billions should not exist in Medieval Fantasy games.  I mean, gold and silver are too rare for individuals to be able to amass such vast sums.  If more than limited number of people in the world could have find/mine/earn and hoard so many coins, gold and silver would become practically worthless.  Like glass or something.  (Well, glass was worth more in medieval times than it is now.)
    Post edited by Ancient_Exile on

edited April 2020

Black Desert Online - Kill 200 Manshas Quest

Seriously.

And it gets better.  I'm pretty sure there are also quests to kill 300-500 of a certain mob.  No joke.  No exaggeration.  Completely serious.

hahahahaha!

https://media.tenor.co/images/baa0d94aaa9246d419e9254f4f678cf1/raw

hahahahaha!

Having homes and decorating them.  I already did that in Everquest 2.  Could also place my own crafting stations in homes or guild halls.

How do the castles work in this guild warfare mechanic?  I never joined a guild. 

Oh, yeah, I forgot you can have hirelings to do stuff for you.  You're right.  That's what beer is for.  Though I wish my characters could partake sometimes as well.  (In Everquest 2, your character could drink alcohol, get drunk, and even raise his/her alcohol tolerance.) But you can't hire NPCs (like mercenaries) to adventure with you, can you?  You could do that in Everquest 2.

Yeah, I think Factions are missing from a lot of MMORPGs.  Factions are important in the real world and pretty much any Medieval Fantasy story you could think of.  And in Sci-fi stories as well.

I don't remember the main story branching off too much.  Was that always the case or was that introduced later?  At what point do the branches occur.  And how different of an experience do they really offer?

The main story has been updated several times. It starts branching after you leave Velia

Are there really players that will buy horses for almost a billion each?  If so, that's crazy.  IMHO, millions and billions should not exist in Medieval Fantasy games.  I mean, gold and silver are too rare for individuals to be able to amass such vast sums.  If more than limited number of people in the world could have find/mine/earn and hoard so many coins, gold and silver would become practically worthless.  Like glass or something.  (Well, glass was worth more in medieval times than it is now.)

Horses are priced by the system based on their tier, level and their skills.

A Tier 8 courser with every skill sells for right around 1 billion. Dream horses (special horses bread from tier 8 coursers) sell for many times that.

Seriously.

And it gets better.  I'm pretty sure there are also quests to kill 300-500 of a certain mob.  No joke.  No exaggeration.  Completely serious.

hahahahaha!

There are quests to kill thousands of mobs. BDO isn't WoW. You can kill 10 mobs with one skill, teleport to the next group and do it again. I had a quest to kill 1k nagas recently and finished it long before my 1 hour XP booster ran out, so I just stayed for the XP. It was more time consuming to run halfway across the map and back than to actually do the quest.

AlBQuirky

The main story has been updated several times. It starts branching after you leave Velia

A Tier 8 courser with every skill sells for right around 1 billion. Dream horses (special horses bread from tier 8 coursers) sell for many times that.

Seriously.

hahahahaha!

There are quests to kill thousands of mobs. BDO isn't WoW. You can kill 10 mobs with one skill, teleport to the next group and do it again. I had a quest to kill 1k nagas recently and finished it long before my 1 hour XP booster ran out, so I just stayed for the XP. It was more time consuming to run halfway across the map and back than to actually do the quest.

You find that fun, do you?

/shrug.
    Ancient_Exile

edited April 2020

Seriously.

hahahahaha!

Okay, maybe I'll look into these branching paths sometime.  I paid $10, so I can play Black Desert FOR LIFE.

I bookmarked the site about Castle Sieges because I am very interested.

You mean I can also buy the Horse of My Dreams in Black Desert someday?  Wow.  (Wait.  You're not just teasing me are you?)

And, so you simply need to use one skill 100 times?  Cool.

Kyleran said:
    You find that fun, do you?

/shrug.
    Sometimes. BDO is far from the only popular game that has that sort of playstyle.

It isn't the only thing to to do, and you need to outgear the area to pull it off, but it can be fun.

It's also fun to go to Aakman or Trees where you need to use many skills to kill the mobs there and you get much higher rewards for doing so.

KyleranAlBQuirky
    I thought so.  Got my Dark Knight to lvl 56.  I'd upload an image to prove it, but I don't think I can. :/

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    I didn't play BDO for the female models may be because I am a grandmother who's not really into female models but I enjoyed making nice looking characters as much as the next guy or may be less so.

I enjoyed the farming and trading aspect. I liked riding around opening nodes and planning out how to get my workers from different towns to the nodes. I had a small worker empire which I honed and made better at manufacturing, resource gathering and refining. I used this to make items to trade and I also grew crops which I experimented with and got varying degrees of success with various types of crops.

I bred horses and fished and generally explored and saw new places and opened some more nodes. I never bothered about upgrading my gear or PvP or PvE either and I had a whale of a time. The only things I upgraded were my wagons, boats, equipment and anything to increase my skills for the activities I was interested in.

BDO is a decent game if you can ignore the P2W like I could but what I did isn't really what most people do so they are miserable and I can totally understand that. Upgrading you gear in this game to be competitive is a horrible time and money sink.
    Ancient_ExileKyleranAlBQuirkyIselin