Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Complicated game

Comments

• Ancient_ExileAncient_Exile Member RarePosts: 1,303
    Ungood said:
    I remember I did eventually beat it (the kobold witch doctor quest) with my dwarf fighter, but it took me several tries.  Decided not to go through the pain this time.

It's really all about knowing the path and speed running it.

Yeah, I don't remember how I eventually got through it now.
    Ungood
    "If everything was easy, nothing would be hard."

"Show me on the doll where PVP touched you."

(Note:  If I type something in a thread that does not exactly pertain to the stated subject of the thread in every, way, shape, and form, please feel free to send me a response in a Private Message.)

• UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,517
    Ungood said:
    I remember I did eventually beat it (the kobold witch doctor quest) with my dwarf fighter, but it took me several tries.  Decided not to go through the pain this time.

To be honest, it's been a while for me, and I think if I tried it now, it would take me a few runs to finally get it.
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

Ungood said:
    Ungood said:

To be honest, it's been a while for me, and I think if I tried it now, it would take me a few runs to finally get it.

That's cool.  I just know that I feel no need or desire to ever bother with that quest again.
    Ungood

(Note:  If I type something in a thread that does not exactly pertain to the stated subject of the thread in every, way, shape, and form, please feel free to send me a response in a Private Message.)

Ungood said:
    Ungood said:

That's cool.  I just know that I feel no need or desire to ever bother with that quest again.
    I fully respect.. I have the same feels with "In the Flesh"
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

Ungood said:
    Ungood said:
    Ungood said:

Looked it up.  Haven't gotten to lvl 15 in DDO b4.  But I'll probably skip it if and when I do encounter it.  Thanks.

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,885
    katzklaw said:
    Ungood said:

And getting blasted apart by a trap because you tried to race the TR junkie.. ends up the long way around to the raise shrine..
    if they're nice... if they're assholes they drop your stone in lava and mock you in voice as they keep running breakneck speed... then kick you when they finish the quest. 

thankfully that kind of douchebaggery, while possible, is relatively uncommon.
    My god what douchebags. Thank heavens I never met anyone like that. I had a good guild and met only real nice folk on DDO last I played.
    Ungoodkatzklaw

Ungood said:
    Ungood said:
    Ungood said:

Looked it up.  Haven't gotten to lvl 15 in DDO b4.  But I'll probably skip it if and when I do encounter it.  Thanks.
    If.. and I mean IF you get to that level, I encourage you to at least try the Quest, it is amazingly involved and truly engaging.. however the Beholders and Vorpal Fleshrenders.. tend to make that quest really hard to do at level on elite.
    Ancient_Exile

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    Ungood said:
    Ungood said:
    Ungood said:
    Ungood said:

If.. and I mean IF you get to that level, I encourage you to at least try the Quest, it is amazingly involved and truly engaging.. however the Beholders and Vorpal Fleshrenders.. tend to make that quest really hard to do at level on elite.

not I did find this quest easy but its doable, but again i'm paladin so smiting evil was pretty easy for me there.

I do recomend you do all quests don't matter, the xp and loot is always nice, plus if you are not premium or bought expansions you will be lacking quests anyway
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.

I do recomend you do all quests don't matter, the xp and loot is always nice, plus if you are not premium or bought expansions you will be lacking quests anyway
    Totally agree, when given the chance, you should totally try every quest you can do.

• katzklawkatzklaw Member UncommonPosts: 101
    kitarad said:
    katzklaw said:
    Ungood said:

And getting blasted apart by a trap because you tried to race the TR junkie.. ends up the long way around to the raise shrine..
    if they're nice... if they're assholes they drop your stone in lava and mock you in voice as they keep running breakneck speed... then kick you when they finish the quest. 

thankfully that kind of douchebaggery, while possible, is relatively uncommon.
    My god what douchebags. Thank heavens I never met anyone like that. I had a good guild and met only real nice folk on DDO last I played.
    yeah. that kind of crap was, thankfully, pretty rare. usually what you got was needing to wait a few minutes for someone to backtrack and pick you up. 

the nicest you got was backtracking, raising you immediately with a scroll or clickie, and during a pause, getting a /tell saying "hey man, if you interested i can help you out with build and gear advice so you more survivable?". the average was backtrack, pick you up, and book to a shrine with little to no talking... chat or voice... and the usual worst was booking it to the end without backtracking for you "sorry dude, we're at the end, would take too long to come back and get you. but you get the xp at least. try not to die so quick next quest k?" 
    Ungood
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,067
    edited April 2020
    One thing about the finishing move that monks use. It hardly goes off properly . Some say it is lag but it works like once in 5 times. I must be doing something wrong I get that purple aura crackling sound I hit the move .......nothing. So frustrating.

I know it resets when you use something like door or break a barrel but do you all use it a lot or only against many mobs or bosses? Otherwise just use stunning fist? I mean it goes off and kinda of cool to see fire plume out but so infrequent.

NVM I played more just now and it was lack of ki not timing.
    Post edited by cheyane on
    Ungood
    Chamber of Chains
    cheyane said:
    One thing about the finishing move that monks use. It hardly goes off properly . Some say it is lag but it works like once in 5 times. I must be doing something wrong I get that purple aura crackling sound I hit the move .......nothing. So frustrating.

I know it resets when you use something like door or break a barrel but do you all use it a lot or only against many mobs or bosses? Otherwise just use stunning fist? I mean it goes off and kinda of cool to see fire plume out but so infrequent.

Monks are Fun.. ain't they?

What happened with the Pale Master plan you had?

Ungood said:
    cheyane said:

It is still on the drawing board. I made the character but unsure I might try that multiclass thing and turn it into a pale trapper. I cannot decide to be honest I have so many ideas it is getting very busy in my little old head. Damn this game is so much fun.
    Chamber of Chains
    cheyane said:
    Ungood said:
    cheyane said:

It is still on the drawing board. I made the character but unsure I might try that multiclass thing and turn it into a pale trapper. I cannot decide to be honest I have so many ideas it is getting very busy in my little old head. Damn this game is so much fun.
    Ok. Wiz/Rogue pale master is VERY common build. 

My advice is as such.

Level 1 - Rogue.

Level 2 - 9 - Wizard.

Level 10 - Rogue.

Levels 11 - 20 - Wizard.

Max Your int , and take Insightful Reflexes, which allows you to use your Int Mod for Reflex Saves, this also applies to Evasion Checks.

With that said.. I made a fun build, that was a Wiz/Rogue, Pale Master/Mechanic, that used a Light Repeating Crossbow, and applied their Int to Hit (with the Mechanic trait line)

Not a powerful build.. but boy was it fun.

cheyane

Ungood said:
    cheyane said:
    Ungood said:
    cheyane said:

My advice is as such.

Level 1 - Rogue.

Level 2 - 9 - Wizard.

Level 10 - Rogue.

Levels 11 - 20 - Wizard.

Max Your int , and take Insightful Reflexes, which allows you to use your Int Mod for Reflex Saves, this also applies to Evasion Checks.

With that said.. I made a fun build, that was a Wiz/Rogue, Pale Master/Mechanic, that used a Light Repeating Crossbow, and applied their Int to Hit (with the Mechanic trait line)

Sounds like a fun build thanks
    Chamber of Chains
  • YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    Last time I played the thing that turned me off was that when I joined a group to run dungeons the other players were so strong that they ignored all the cool mechanics of the game (traps, listen, taunt, etc) and just stomped on all the mobs.

YashaX said:
    Last time I played the thing that turned me off was that when I joined a group to run dungeons the other players were so strong that they ignored all the cool mechanics of the game (traps, listen, taunt, etc) and just stomped on all the mobs.

This happens when you join TR runs. They destroy content, if you want to play the mechanics, make your own group and say "All traps, Doors, Chests, Newbs Welcome"

Knowing what is said in the LFM panel is important, in DDO players do use that window to say things, and they expect you to read it.

YashaX

cheyane said:
    Ungood said:
    cheyane said:
    Ungood said:
    cheyane said:

My advice is as such.

Level 1 - Rogue.

Level 2 - 9 - Wizard.

Level 10 - Rogue.

Levels 11 - 20 - Wizard.

It is.. I think it is currently still my main wizard build.

I might have taken Arti, not sure, as that lack of evasion.. was  a hard choice.

Ungood said:
    cheyane said:
    Ungood said:
    cheyane said:
    Ungood said:
    cheyane said:

My advice is as such.

Level 1 - Rogue.

Level 2 - 9 - Wizard.

Level 10 - Rogue.

Levels 11 - 20 - Wizard.

I might have taken Arti, not sure, as that lack of evasion.. was  a hard choice.

he could just make a monk on his new TR life anyway, better then me who before a TR get a soft rebirth so lvl anotehr class then TR so I can get that class on the line for previous lives thing
    Ungood said:
    cheyane said:
    Ungood said:
    cheyane said:
    Ungood said:
    cheyane said:

My advice is as such.

Level 1 - Rogue.

Level 2 - 9 - Wizard.

Level 10 - Rogue.

Levels 11 - 20 - Wizard.

he could just make a monk on his new TR life anyway, better then me who before a TR get a soft rebirth so lvl anotehr class then TR so I can get that class on the line for previous lives thing
    Monk PL, would require burning a Feat slot for a one time shot at evasion. While situationally super handy, you would really need to be planing that build out way in advance, I could see that working for something like a fighter mix build, where you have the feats to burn.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347
    It looks like trying to play a warforged could be troublesome.  Healer hirelings would get greatly reduced healing on you, which could easily get you killed.  Sorcerer/wizard hirelings could heal you just fine, but can't heal themselves at all unless they're also warforged--which few of them are.  If you're warforged and can't heal yourself, taking the healer's friend enhancement immediately looks nearly mandatory.  And even after that, you'd still suffer reduced healing.

And even if you're warforged and can heal yourself, you can't heal a hireling unless the hireling is also warforged.  And again, most of them aren't.  If you insist on always taking a warforged hireling, then you'd often be stuck with one a level or two below you, and sometimes a class you don't want.  If you don't, then you'd need the hireling to be capable of self-healing, so everyone in the party would have to be a healer.  That seems rather sub-optimal.

Is there something I'm missing that makes this into no big deal?  If the race is as crippled as it looks in theory, then I might just skip it.
    Quizzical said:
    It looks like trying to play a warforged could be troublesome.  Healer hirelings would get greatly reduced healing on you, which could easily get you killed.  Sorcerer/wizard hirelings could heal you just fine, but can't heal themselves at all unless they're also warforged--which few of them are.  If you're warforged and can't heal yourself, taking the healer's friend enhancement immediately looks nearly mandatory.  And even after that, you'd still suffer reduced healing.

And even if you're warforged and can heal yourself, you can't heal a hireling unless the hireling is also warforged.  And again, most of them aren't.  If you insist on always taking a warforged hireling, then you'd often be stuck with one a level or two below you, and sometimes a class you don't want.  If you don't, then you'd need the hireling to be capable of self-healing, so everyone in the party would have to be a healer.  That seems rather sub-optimal.

Is there something I'm missing that makes this into no big deal?  If the race is as crippled as it looks in theory, then I might just skip it.
    I thought repair fixes that or spells that repair, actually I am not well versed on this race to know much about it. Have never played one. 
    Chamber of Chains
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347
    cheyane said:
    Quizzical said:

I thought repair fixes that or spells that repair, actually I am not well versed on this race to know much about it. Have never played one. 
    Well yes, there are repair spells that are like cure wounds or whatever except for warforged.  But no class has both repair and the normal healing spells.  That would mean that a party needs two healers:  one for the warforged and the other for the non-warforged.  And in a party of two (one player and one hireling), that's rather restrictive, especially if the player isn't a healer.
    edited April 2020
    Quizzical said:
    cheyane said:
    Quizzical said:

Well yes, there are repair spells that are like cure wounds or whatever except for warforged.  But no class has both repair and the normal healing spells.  That would mean that a party needs two healers:  one for the warforged and the other for the non-warforged.  And in a party of two (one player and one hireling), that's rather restrictive, especially if the player isn't a healer.

if I remember correctly cleric and/or favored souls have a feat or class skill who would make heals work on warforged the same way as others, also warfoged thenself have a feat who make then take full heal from any healing source.

take note too warforged get some extra goodies with the down grade of the heal, you get the advantages and the disavantages from the race and class, if you don't like choose another

edit

BTW

Divine healing spells and potions restore only half as many hit points as normal for a Warforged (this can be increased up to 80% effectiveness with the addition of the Healer's Friend racial enhancement). A warforged's hit points can be restored normally through arcane repair spells and potions, as well as the Lay on Hands Paladin ability or the Divine healing cleric enhancement.

yes I did remember correctly, the "problem" is easily negated, and the race have a lot of bonus
    Quizzical said:

Ok.. yah this really depends on the class and playstyle of the Warforged.

If you plan to play a divine, Healers Friend as well as Heal Amp gear is going to become mandatory. They are also a pretty big thing if you plan to raid. 

However, any Arcane caster can heal a warforged. This includes, Wiz, Arti, Sorc. Not to mention there are Oils (Potions) and Scrolls of Repair, so if you have the UMD, you can self heal rather nicely as a Warforged. 

Also keep in mind 1 level of a class that can use that spell, opens ALL the wands to that class, IE: If you take 1 level of Arti, you can now use all Repair Wands, which in the end, makes playing a Warforged pretty easy, given their Hp boons and inherently resists, as well as other benefits. 

This is why IIRC, that I suggested going with Warforged for your Arti build, as there is a lot of synergy going on there.

So again, this really depends on the class and build you have.

If you are expecting someone (be it a player or a hireling) to run around with you and keeping you healed while playing a barbarian Warforged, umm while doable, the trick with that is to not have your healer follow you around. You build a massive pool of HP so you can survive any single encounter, and then move back to your 'healer' cap up, and charge again. Since in most quests mobs do not respawn, (and in the quests they do respawn they are normally trash and easy mobs) this is an effective tactic for most situations.

Another trick I have seen done is the Warforged plays a Divine Healer (Cleric/FvS/Paladin/Etc) and has a Wizard Hire, and they heal each other.

Also, despite the game being very designed around classes and interdependence, self sufficiency is a HUGE thing in DDO, and a lot of builds are designed around the the concept of being able to mostly tend to your own needs, maybe not fully, but, also not being hapless without someone else.

There are many ways to heal yourself.

Resting at a Shrine
    Spells
    Potions (Oils for WF)
    Scrolls.
    Wands.
    Clickies or Items with a click-effect.
    Weapon Effects (IE: Vampirism)
    Armor/Gear Effects (IE: Con-Op)

Hope some of this helps.