Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chronicles Of Elyria Kickstarter Update Aims To Clarify Game Status

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited April 2020 in News & Features Discussion

imageChronicles Of Elyria Kickstarter Update Aims To Clarify Game Status

In a new twist in the Chronicles of Elyria saga, Soulbound Studios CEO Jeromy Walsh penned a letter on the MMORPG's official Kickstarter in an attempt to clarify the game's status moving forward.

Read the full story here

Comments

• GreatnessGreatness Member UncommonPosts: 2,180
    The worst is false hope (to those backers/supporters of the game).

~Greatness~

Currently Playing:
    Nothing

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,987
    This guy is utterly shameless.

I personally find him worse than Sergei Titov

Ozmodan[Deleted User]Asm0deusAlomarEponyxDamorNildenDakerumarkus1902PirrayaRich84and 4 others.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• 2TonGamer2TonGamer Member UncommonPosts: 50
    This guy is a legit POS and had it right the first time. Now some of these folks who dared to dream will get strung along longer. The day he wrote this, there were fans on the forums offering to actually give more money to see this joke finished. Now those people will finance his legal fund because we all know that any money gathered now will go straight to that. Shameless...
    GdemamiOzmodan[Deleted User]Pirraya
  • HolyAvengerOneHolyAvengerOne Member UncommonPosts: 708
    More BS and smoke blown.

Join us in our actions to bring more clarity and transparency to what happened here and make sure Jeromy doesn't get away with this so easily!

https://discord.gg/PaVjjmM
    GdemamiDemoAK
  • KLECKOKLECKO Member UncommonPosts: 48
    LOL everybody said he is a scammer. They were right
    OzmodanGdemami[Deleted User]PirrayaRich84
  • Morfo2Morfo2 Member UncommonPosts: 127
    Chronicles of Scam - A Massive Offline Role Playing Scam
    OzmodanPanzerbeorne39GdemamiPirrayaRich84HolyAvengerOne
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    This game is not even close to Alpha let alone a Beta.  
    Gdemami
    @lotrlore ; How about an in-depth op-ed on what happened with this game/company?

Do you have a take on it?   What do you feel MMORPG.COMs role was in getting us to this point?  Is there anything you would do differently in hindsight?   Will this impact how you communicate PR from other companies in the future?

GdemamibcbullyYashaXsausagemixDakeruDemoAK

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• HolyAvengerOneHolyAvengerOne Member UncommonPosts: 708

@lotrlore ; How about an in-depth op-ed on what happened with this game/company?

Do you have a take on it?   What do you feel MMORPG.COMs role was in getting us to this point?  Is there anything you would do differently in hindsight?   Will this impact how you communicate PR from other companies in the future?

This would be awesome. Can connect you with top people in the community if need be.
    Gdemami
  • lotrlorelotrlore Managing EditorMMORPG.COM Staff, Member RarePosts: 560
    edited April 2020

So this is something I've been mulling around as well, but it takes research and time to put together. Additionally, I can't speak to how the game was covered at MMORPG before I took over back in August 2019 as I was a freelancer and didn't cover CoE personally. But, it's something that's being worked on, yes. I also know Tim was looking at a possible editorial/aftermath post, but due to the global situation other priorities have taken precedent.

On a broader note, @Slapshot1188 , I've been in games media since 2012. I've always felt that while we are obviously fans of the medium we cover and that will always inherently seep into coverage of a particular title or genre, the media has done a bad job of managing expectations, instead overhyping games. One only needs to look at the initial launch of No Man's Sky as a larger example of this. Part of what fueled that frenzy was the fact that many in the media failed in their first obligation - to relay facts and accurate information to readers in order to provide the best consumer advice possible.

I've been thinking of writing a piece on the our role as media and the part we play in events such as this, especially since so much in news reporting nowadays is re purposing announcements from developers and PR. Investigative reporting doesn't happen as often as it should, and part of that is due the nature of the business of games media as well. It's a pretty nuanced subject, and one that requires a bit more thought on my part to accurately convey my feelings and how I see games coverage evolving throughout my time in the business. I do think it's time to write up something along these lines to explore and examine our role more fully. 

Hope that helps and answers some of your questions. Feel free to DM me as always as well, for sure. 

@HolyAvengerOne - Sure thing, DM me and we can chat.

[Deleted User]Slapshot1188GdemamibcbullyYashaXNildenDakerusausagemixScotRich84and 2 others.
  • MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    edited April 2020
    I guess you can just put off being sued forever if you claim perpetual development, right?  Simply never fail to produce.

Please LOL at this post if you are an idiot.
    AmatheGdemamiLinifTuor7
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Ok new rules for mmorpg development. No mulligans, no do overs, no take backsies.
    [Deleted User]Kyleran

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

Just read this shit:  "The March 24th statement was ultimately born out of a concern for the development team and their opportunity to secure alternative paying work as quickly as possible, as well as an awareness of our community’s need to prioritize secure food and shelter during this time instead of additional contributions to an in-development game."

And tell me a lawyer didn't feed him this line:  "It was never my intent to permanently end the development of the game, disregard your contributions, or fail to deliver what we promised."

Please LOL at this post if you are an idiot.
    Gdemami[Deleted User]HolyAvengerOneBrotherMaynardTuor7
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,509
    Interesting choice of media to post this message on, the original KSer page instead of say...  the SBS reddit which is still going strong. 

Maybe his choice was influenced by the fact the State of Washington will likely focus on whether the KSer terms and promises were met or not.

By saying the game is still in development as soon as he finds the money...it clouds the issue....smart move if so 
    Gdemami

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    edited April 2020
    “Team of lawyers...eeer advisors...” lmfao
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • ickyspotickyspot Newbie CommonPosts: 3
    Whomever throws money at this developer after this are absolute fools. Scam. Scam. Scam.
    GdemamiScot
  • Axllow18Axllow18 Member UncommonPosts: 400
    I don't know what is more impressive; the balls of the guy who announced the closing of a studio and game to un-announce it in a desperate attempt to avoid potential backlash, or @Gdemami 's commitment to reacting to every post that has even slight signs of negativity with a LOL.

But for both our contestants, shine on you mad bastards.
    MightyUnclean[Deleted User]Scot
    Kyleran said:
    Interesting choice of media to post this message on, the original KSer page instead of say...  the SBS reddit which is still going strong. 

Maybe his choice was influenced by the fact the State of Washington will likely focus on whether the KSer terms and promises were met or not.

By saying the game is still in development as soon as he finds the money...it clouds the issue....smart move if so 
    Please note his Tweet where he clearly states he is grieving the loss of his studio closure.  He publicly said he closed his studio.

https://web.archive.org/web/20200328194034/https:/twitter.com/JeromyWalsh/status/1243964029149671425

GdemamiScotHolyAvengerOne

From a Reddit post where the user archived Caspian directly stating that the studio had closed:

https://web.archive.org/web/20200328194034/https:/twitter.com/JeromyWalsh/status/1243964029149671425

"So, in spite of my desire to stand strong, stand tall, and weather the storm publicly of my studio closure, I am instead going to draft another public letter on the company website, in our game's Discord server, and email, and then I'm going to grieve my loss."

Let me guess, he meant that SBS is closed, but now they're going to open a new studio to bravely continue development?  The closing of the studio didn't actually mean that development would be ceased, I'm sure.
    [Deleted User]GdemamiTuor7
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Lying POS continues to embellish the lie... news at 11.
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]Gdemami
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• LtldoggLtldogg Member UncommonPosts: 282
    What a scumbag.
    Gdemami
  • LinifLinif Member UncommonPosts: 338

This guy is utterly shameless.

I personally find him worse than Sergei Titov

It's almost definitely an attempt to disuade people from doing a class action suit
    LeFantomeGdemami
  • laxielaxie Member RarePosts: 1,118
    Announcing studio closure is a great way to secure additional funding. Yes, the cover story makes perfect sense.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,509
    Kyleran said:

Please note his Tweet where he clearly states he is grieving the loss of his studio closure.  He publicly said he closed his studio.

Ahh, but you recall Jeremy is a masterful wordsmith, the studio has closed...but the game's development still is ongoing.

"In fact, several of the team members have agreed to continue development"

Meets the terms of the Kickstarter, still "earnestly" trying to deliver the game.

Nothing in any of his messages to date has indicated he took his toys and went home,  in fact quite the opposite.

Loophole.

GdemamiAmathe

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Maybe he realized the Jeep needs a boat trailer? Turn those lights back on!

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests