It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!
Quote Gaute Game Director for Age of Conan.
Ahhh, the deadly serious business of PvP! I have been reading the forums, and thinking. For quite some time now, actually. I have decided to take a step back on PvP, and open the design to more gamer input. I guess many of you have read the articles on RPG Vault and Gamespy and know quite a lot of our PvP Technology and choices. I will just repeat a couple of core principles:
1. PvP is becoming one of the, maybe the most, important feature of Age of Conan. It will be brutal, dark and mature - but also a balanced and fun experience.
2. PvP will always be a choice for you (but saying that, chosing server might also be a choice!)
3. There will be many types of PvP in Conan (team based, brawling, massive etc), hopefully something for everyone...
4. You shall be able to play Age of Conan totally without participating in PvP if you want.
Now to the meat of the deal. As I said, I am taking a step back on PvP, and opening up for making many different setups - if that is what you want. Within the framework of the above mentioned principles, there are almost endless possibilities within our current technology.
* On some servers we might have open PvP on a larger level range (right now, it is restricted within the 20 levels of the tier you belong to.)
* On some servers the PvE Resource Building Regions (where you build your Player Village) might be open for PvP some parts of the day.
* On some servers you can have spreading PvP everywhere (if you attack someone PvP enabled, you also become PvP enabled...)
* On other servers the whole world, except Cities and Holy Places (where you are resurrected post death) can be PvP enabled.
* You could theoretically get PvP on different times of day. (Night-time PvP)
* We could open the games for PvP events. (Hour of Blood!)
* You could have PvP for guild versus guilds or sides versus sides in many more areas. (The sides are mentioned in one of the articles.)
* We could open for item looting, coin looting, item locking (someone else loots a couple of your items, and can use them for 1 hour for instance, before you get them back), special PvP item looting etc.
* We could give PvE XP bonus in the areas with PvP if you want - to compansate.
* Since we base Conan on technology and knowledge based on more than 4 years of successful PvP, we have loads of options.
* All this will be fit into many different server setups!
Ok, why do I mention all this? Because I want to say: except for the principles above, I am a "careful pragmatic"! I will listen to your discussions, and make many different choices of servers if that is what you want. Funcom will keep a firm control (yes a tight control) on the finished result, to make sure they are all fun and balanced, but other than that - you decide.
Also, although it would be cool to have all the options in the world, we will get LOADS of problems communicating all the different setups to new players when they chose their server. Think about it, not "PvP" or "No PvP" but, "This feature list" vs "That Feature list". Thus we shall most likely end up with 3-4 different setups with clear "descriptive" names...
Saying that, I will let my good friends and colleagues handle the setup of the information collection (voting, discussions, threads and so on...). Also, I will take as long as is needed making this decision. It is vital it is as perfect as can be!
Game Director Age of Conan - Hyborian Adventures