Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lockdown 2020 Change of Heart

BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
Being forced to endure martial law-lite by staying indoors and the future of everything being uncertain changed my brain a bit...
Before the shutdown ironically shortened to "BS" my game priorities were very different than they are two weeks after not being able to do my daily real life routine. Pre-BS I usually came home to accomplish one or two goals in games I played but now with all the time in the word and questionable future for everyone after the shutdown ends my game needs have drastically changed. Rather than short bursts of gaming to wind down from a long day at work I now find myself searching for MMO worlds to be fully immersed in like in my college years. Games like SWTOR & GW2 both games that I set aside long ago I reinstalled with thoughts in mind like "If the world/society is gonna end I prefer to be sitting at my desk while it happens playing a Star Wars game or playing a mesmer". I never thought I would seriously play those two games again but one worldwide disaster later here I am.

Anyone else do a complete 180 degrees with games you were playing two weeks ago and now?
If so what games were you playing then and what games are you playing now?
Narug

Comments

• crankkedcrankked Member UncommonPosts: 284
    My life hasn't changed one bit.  Still go to work every day, shop when I need to, remodel my brothers bathroom last weekend......only play games now and then when I have a chance.....

RexKushman
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919
    edited April 2020
    I am in Italy so been under lockdown for some time now. Husband has been working from home. Tempers flaring on a daily basis. I play whatever I can get my hands on. Mainly ARPGs. I even tried out Tree of Saviour. I try to keep myself occupied all the time . Playing, cleaning, cooking, making bread  :p  

I think people are slowly realising this is quite a serious problem and no flu like people kept saying.
    Amathe

• TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,551
    all this real life BS  is affecting how much I play games...... I'm still working too, but I'm not playing many games till the weekends.     

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• NarugNarug Member UncommonPosts: 756
    Nope still an essential worker so busy like usual therefore pin cushioned into constrained timed gaming.

BruceYee said:
    Being forced to endure martial law-lite by staying indoors 
    Yep I agree exactly what it is.
    Tuor7

AC2 Player RIP Final Death Jan 31st 2017

Refugee of Auberean

Refugee of Dereth

• MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    I know it's frustrating, but I do believe that we're enduring this and the potential effects on the economy in an effort to save hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of lives, particularly of the most vulnerable.  I've got to believe that that's worth it.

I have a lot more time at home right now, so I'm gaming more.  I'm playing a lot of SWTOR, which I haven't touched since release.
    Gdemami
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Not really much of a change for me gaming wise. ARPGs, RPGs, Civ V and no MMO currently.

But I am kind of scraping the bottom of the Netflix and Prime barrels watching a lot of stuff I normally would pass on.

Some of that has even surprised me by being enjoyable if only in a way like watching a wreck... Tiger King anyone? :) The most watched Netflix show in Canada this week.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    Nothing changed for me, i have a 4 yo so if im home and he is, i cannot play much anyway. 
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • shetlandslarsenshetlandslarsen Member UncommonPosts: 203
    Picked up Bannerlords and Warhammer 2 Total War in the last week. Also play WOW very casually. But my gaming habits are much the same.
    Do the shopping for me and my old fragile parents. Do what i can so they are exposed as little as possible in these C19 times. 

I am a scizo misanthrope. So one day I may go BANZAI on your post.
    Have not yet though. Maybe there is hope?
    Nah there is really none for me or the human race. 
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Iselin said:
    Not really much of a change for me gaming wise. ARPGs, RPGs, Civ V and no MMO currently.

But I am kind of scraping the bottom of the Netflix and Prime barrels watching a lot of stuff I normally would pass on.

Some of that has even surprised me by being enjoyable if only in a way like watching a wreck... Tiger King anyone? :) The most watched Netflix show in Canada this week.
    Tiger King is love, Tiger King is life.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Iselin
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

On a side note, I'm not sure if any other places are doing this but for the past couple of weeks at 7:00 PM everyone all over our province is going out to balconies, banging pots and cheering loudly for the front line health care workers.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/650/650-events/city-wide-patio-celebration/
    AlBQuirkyGdemami
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,172
    Iselin said:
    On a side note, I'm not sure if any other places are doing this but for the past couple of weeks at 7:00 PM everyone all over our province is going out to balconies, banging pots and cheering loudly for the front line health care workers.

Neat. In Winterpeg we're not going out on our balconies for anything. We will quietly share the sentiment whilst sheltering from the remains of the recent snowstorm.
    Iselin
    Iselin said:

Neat. In Winterpeg we're not going out on our balconies for anything. We will quietly share the sentiment whilst sheltering from the remains of the recent snowstorm.
    Yeah you guys get actual winters there, even in Spring. That sucks.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,007
    Been doing driveway bingo with pretty much the whole neighbourhood who's equally bored and reached the end of Netflix

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919
    Iselin said:

We were banging pots too in the beginning in Italy. Not any more. The weather is so beautiful outside. My neighbours have a rooftop terrace and I watch from my pigeon hole as they are up there playing some games and enjoying the sun. All I can do is stand at my window and get some sun. Once in 9 days I go to the market wearing a mask and gloves. Really waiting for this to end. 

We have been quite good staying in all the time. Most of the Italians have really seen up close and personal in some cases the ravages of this virus. I'll be honest I am scared because I am over 60 and I could die if I get this virus. So I am not taking a chance. My teenage kids are locked up inside too. They find their own entertainment, games mostly.

There seems to be a light at the end of this tunnel with the recent figures but in Italy the rumours circulating is that people cannot get to the hospitals any longer and are dying at home. So the figures being reported don't count those since they don't test to find out what they died of. Pretty grim but thank god for games or I might just lose my mind.
    Tuor7

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    DMKano said:
    This shit gonna last for a long time, especially before the vaccine with additional waves of infection.

Thanks to Chinese government for covering this shit up back in Nov/Dec - great job there fellas - you done fucked over the entire world.

Thanks to governments around the world for ignoring intelligence warning back in January, when experts realized that there is no stopping the pandemic. Literally useless - did nothing, didn't ramp up production of ventilators and beds in hospitals - or prepared the people for quarantine - nothing.

I wonder how people are going to react come June/July when it will be time to bury the dead - and the only option will be mass cremation due to funeral homes not being able to handle so many dead.

And then it's gonna be like Wuhan - families gonna be waiting on urns and ashes of their loved ones for weeks.

I don't think people are even aware of how shitty this is gonna be.

And then the economy/unemployment fallout - shit has not even hit the fan yet, the worst is ahead of us

This pandemic was something that the experts have been warning the world about 4+ years ago - and nobody listened - about getting the hospitals ready, getting the world ready for this - nope.

It's always the same shit - spending billions up front is much better than spending trillions over the next decade to recover the economy, but nobody wants to do this.

Humans are truly a fucked species, we elect idiots that only look at their own wallets and are too dumb to even understand what the experts are telling them - and the masses keep electing morons, because the masses lack education to understand how they are being used by the system
    There's a huge difference between warning "there will be some pandemic" and "the pandemic will consist of this and this".  The experts were mostly warning about an influenza pandemic, which this isn't.

Leaders commonly mishandle new events that are wildly different from anything they've seen before.  That applies to many governments around the world, not just China and the US.  It applies not just to pandemics, but all sorts of other very rare events.  Think of hurricane Katrina, for example.  The next really big volcano eruption or solar flare will probably be mishandled pretty badly, too.

Or think of the Obama administration using up most of the N95 masks in the US stockpile and then not replenishing them.  They had to guess as to what the country would need for the next pandemic, and they guessed wrong.  That looks terrible in hindsight, but the same decisions would look a whole lot better if a different pandemic had meant that what they stockpiled instead was exactly what we needed.

In the US, Senator Cotton was making a big fuss about the new pandemic back in January.  He was the only high government official doing so for quite some time.  He was the one who managed to convince Trump to cut off travel from China back in January, over the howls of a lot of people who weren't yet taking the pandemic seriously.

But the good news is that after botching the initial reaction, leaders commonly figure out what is going wrong and correct course.  Or at least, that's how it goes in democracies.  Perhaps not so much in Turkmenistan, which has responded to the pandemic by banning all use of the word "coronavirus".  Good luck getting appropriate treatment there if you catch it.

I think this is going to spike quickly, but then also recede pretty quickly.  I don't know how long it will take for us to reach the maximum number of people infected concurrently in various countries.  Some countries might already be past that peak, or it might well be quite a ways off.  There will be later flare-ups, but they'll be handled a lot better than the initial spike because people will have learned from the initial spike.

My expectation is that it won't be that long (a few weeks to a couple months) before a large chunk of the world is able to carry on mostly as normal, though large gatherings (e.g., pro sports) will remain banned for quite a while.  There will be plenty more lockdowns after that over the course of the next couple of years, but they'll be localized events and you'll be able to get on with life most of the time.
    GdemamiAlBQuirky
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,532
    well, my life has changed quite a bit over this.

I have noticed I spend a lot more time in games, as a form of escapism then I have in the past.
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,707
    Iselin said:

Similar happened in the UK, though think it only happened last Thursday. There was a nationwide "round of applause" whilst we all clapped for the National Health Service.

As with all things in politics, it divided the country. Some thought it was great, some thought it was hypocritical. A lot of the NHS staff themselves are simply too tired and too worried to care about such things.

Back to the OP....

I lived a pretty reclusive life before covid and the lockdown, so not a huge amount has changed for me. I miss my daily trips to buy a sandwich and a coke, and getting a home delivery slot for groceries is now much harder, but otherwise life is pretty normal.

In some ways, the lockdown has been great!

I often used to feel guilty / ashamed for wasting so much time indoors when I could be out, being social, or going for walks, or playing sports. With the lockdown, all that guilt has gone so im much happier on a day to day basis. When I do go out, its great! Driving is amazing right now, hardly anyone on the road so it's a real pleasure getting around. With everyone on lockdown, my social anxiety is also a lot less as im far less likely to see anyone else. So thats all good!

I have picked up WAR: Return of Reckoning in the last few weeks. That does break a promise to myself - I swore I'd never play another MMORPG if it was based on vertical progression, yet WAR has some of the worst vertical progression I've ever seen. However, as it's a rogue server and im not paying any money, it feels OK, probably because it feels like i won't be sticking around long term and so the problems of vertical progression won't affect me for too long.

I am enjoying the feeling of progression and the large scale combat. That's something I've missed in my many years of being away from mmorpgs.

Next on my list of games is Cities: Skylines. I love that game and they've just released another DLC / expansion. After that might be WH40k: Sanctus Reach as my brother recommended that recently.