Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lineage 2 Classic EU - server closing down

coretex666coretex666 Member EpicPosts: 3,853
I just got an email from 4game.com that the Lineage 2 Classic EU server will be shutting down on 15 April.

Even though I had quit over a year ago and have no longer been an active player myself, I consider it to be a little sad as the classic server provided an experience which was relatively close to the early chronicles of Lineage 2 and there will not be any other place now to play this version of this amazing game.

It is also one of the last remaining MMORPGs which are subscription only and without any kind of in-game cash shop.

GG

Comments

• MrMonolitasMrMonolitas Member UncommonPosts: 252
    Years and years of loyalty to the company and we get this at the end. It just another private server. Although, i must say private servers do things better than this company. Never give them money anymore, they close down european server and open russian server. What a scumbags.

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 7,331
    You left so you didn't support the game. If a lot of people were like you the game gets shutdown. I think if you like something you should stay and support it if you are interested in its longevity.
    KyleranGdemamiklash2defkitarad
    Chamber of Chains
  • Ancient_ExileAncient_Exile Member RarePosts: 1,303
    I may have tried the wrong game somehow (don't think so), but isn't your character really tiny on the screen in Lineage 2? 
    "If everything was easy, nothing would be hard."

"Show me on the doll where PVP touched you."

(Note:  If I type something in a thread that does not exactly pertain to the stated subject of the thread in every, way, shape, and form, please feel free to send me a response in a Private Message.)

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 36,525
    I may have tried the wrong game somehow (don't think so), but isn't your character really tiny on the screen in Lineage 2? 
    Sounds more like Lineage 1, the Blood Pledge.

"See normal people, I'm not one of them" | G-Easy & Big Sean

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing FO76 at the moment.

Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

edited April 28
    Kyleran said:

So Lineage 2 plays/looks more like WoW and other similar 3D MMORPGs?

EDIT:  Okay, nvm, I checked out a some Lineage 2 youtube gameplay videos.  I see now.  I was pretty sure I tried to make a character on Lineage 2 classic the other day.  But I guess it put me in Lineage 1 somehow?  IDK.  Anyway, it wouldn't let me make a character on the Live Server.  Apparently you can only make a character on the Live Server on certain days of the week.  At least I think I read that that's the way it works.

(Note:  If I type something in a thread that does not exactly pertain to the stated subject of the thread in every, way, shape, and form, please feel free to send me a response in a Private Message.)

edited April 28
    Good to time for some classic Bruce.

"Everything dies, baby that's a fact. But maybe everything that dies one day comes back..."

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing FO76 at the moment.

Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

edited April 28
    Kyleran said:

EDIT:  Okay, nvm, I checked out a some Lineage 2 youtube gameplay videos.  I see now.  I was pretty sure I tried to make a character on Lineage 2 classic the other day.  But I guess it put me in Lineage 1 somehow?  IDK.  Anyway, it wouldn't let me make a character on the Live Server.  Apparently you can only make a character on the Live Server on certain days of the week.  At least I think I read that that's the way it works.
    Not unless you were on some sort of private server. Lineage 1 is an isometric game much like UO which only has Korean servers offered by NCSoft, as far as I know anyways.

Yes, L2 is a 3D MMORPG but isn't much like WOW, especially if it is / was a classic version like this server.

I consider L2 to be the pinnacle of games which put the grind in the phrase Korean Grinder and literally had its art assets stolen & copied into a number of bad clones in the years following its release.

Which is why the modern retail isn't like it anymore, and why this server is closing down, not enough people willing to give their lives over to this style of game play.

No worries, you dodged a bullet. ;)
    Ancient_Exile

Kyleran said:
    Kyleran said:

Not unless you were on some sort of private server. Lineage 1 is an isometric game much like UO which only has Korean servers offered by NCSoft, as far as I know anyways.

Yes, L2 is a 3D MMORPG but isn't much like WOW, especially if it is / was a classic version like this server.

I consider L2 to be the pinnacle of games which put the grind in the phrase Korean Grinder and literally had its art assets stolen & copied into a number of bad clones in the years following its release.

Which is why the modern retail isn't like it anymore, and why this server is closing down, not enough people willing to give their lives over to this style of game play.

No worries, you dodged a bullet. ;)

Thanks for the info.
    Kyleran

• coretex666coretex666 Member EpicPosts: 3,853
    cheyane said:
    You left so you didn't support the game. If a lot of people were like you the game gets shutdown. I think if you like something you should stay and support it if you are interested in its longevity.
    I played the original L2 for several years. Then I played this classic version for about another two years. I was dual boxing, so I paid two subscriptions this whole time.

I no longer had enough time to continue playing, so I took a long break. I had played the game for about 6 years altogether. I had been a paying customer throughout that whole time. 

I consider early L2 to be the best MMORPG ever made. And yes, I did quit after all those years. Does it mean I am not allowed to regret that its shutting down? Are you saying I should support all products and services which I would otherwise regret being discontinued?

@kyleran you agree with him, so feel free to answer yourself. BTW you played EVE for a long time, didnt you. Would you not feel sad to see it gone even though you had already quit the game? 

edited April 29
    I'm not much of a sentimentalist when it comes to games I used to play.

I have always left my favorite MMOs after developers made changes which I didn't care for and felt were certain to bring about or hasten a game's decline. 

So I'm more likely to "dance over their grave" rather than feel much in the way of loss, and I wouldn't be creating a thread over the closure of a game.

Your post reminded me of the many folks who still slag on NCSoft for closing CoH when most complaining were not playing or paying for it at the time.

GdemamikitaradSovrath

Kyleran said:

I have always left my favorite MMOs after developers made changes which I didn't care for and felt were certain to bring about or hasten a game's decline. 

So I'm more likely to "dance over their grave" rather than feel much in the way of loss, and I wouldn't be creating a thread over the closure of a game.

Your post reminded me of the many folks who still slag on NCSoft for closing CoH when most complaining were not playing or paying for it at the time.

The main purpose of the thread was to share the fact that it is closing down rather than to express my feelings regarding the subject. I just incorporated literally one sentence into the post stating that I regret the game is closing. Am a little surprised that it is something that would trigger such a response.

Anyway...movin on.
    edited April 29
    Kyleran said:

The main purpose of the thread was to share the fact that it is closing down rather than to express my feelings regarding the subject. I just incorporated literally one sentence into the post stating that I regret the game is closing. Am a little surprised that it is something that would trigger such a response.

Anyway...movin on.
    What response, I just agreed with his post. You asked me why so I replied.

Point of order, in your OP you said, "I consider it to be a little sad" 

Expressing any emotion on an internet forum is akin to chumming for sharks in the Great Barrier Reef.   :D

Kyleran said:
    Kyleran said:

Anyway...movin on.
    What response, I just agreed with his post. You asked me why so I replied.

Point of order, in your OP you said, "I consider it to be a little sad," 

Yea, that's the part of the "literally one sentence" I was referring to above. By the response I meant the one you agreed with. 

Just thought it was unnecessary to make such comments. Nevermind, no big deal. 
  • GatsuZerkGatsuZerk Member UncommonPosts: 33
    Best to just ignore Kyleran, to be honest.
    Kyleran
    GatsuZerk said:
    Best to just ignore Kyleran, to be honest.
    If I'm being honest I prefer LOLs....

:D 
    SovrathKumapon

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 28,802
    Peon covers the game "today" and wow, has it changed. However, there still seems to be a lot of people playing.

I played from Prelude through, I guess, into one of the Gracia updates. Loved that game so much.

I'll leave this here for people to see how much it's changed.

Kyleran
  • RavenRaven Member UncommonPosts: 2,005
    Sovrath said:
    Peon covers the game "today" and wow, has it changed. However, there still seems to be a lot of people playing.

I played from Prelude through, I guess, into one of the Gracia updates. Loved that game so much.

I'll leave this here for people to see how much it's changed.

Yeah I have yet to play an MMO as good as L2, the whole experience, from the transition from Beta to Prelude in NA all the way to Interlude was amazing.

I hope that the remaster brings back some of that magic with a more modern twist.