Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

worst game of the last TEN years + justification for that designation

bhugbhug Member UncommonPosts: 944
ff13 square enix 2009-14 3rd person single player Role-Playing;

over rated formula after prolonged, twenty years ff13 was shiny graphics, linear levels and endless cut scene battles of animals; removed interactivity, linear story w/o emotional nor narrative context, overlong cutscenes, something to hange their licensed fanboy jewlry off of... shame, shame, shame 

DeadSpock

Comments

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    I think my vote would go to Star Citizen

Not so much because it's a bad game, but because it's an unfinished promise that's still raking in cash, perpetuating (what I perceive to be) a corrupt business model
    [Deleted User]KyleranSandmanjw
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,839
    Dynasty Warriors 9.

If a game can't even please Dynasty Warriors fans, you know it's bad. Take a regular DW game, spread it thin over a huge open world, give it PS2 era graphics, make it run like a slideshow, tack on crafting and hunting, remove all personality and fun, and dumb down the combat system even further, and you have the worst game I've ever had the displeasure of playing.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Although i don't like FF13 it is not even close to  being among the worst.The high majority of games,like 99% look like 1-2 people spent their weekends making them.I would put every single arpg and moba behind FF13.Moba's and arpg's can be designed in less than 6 months by a few people,they are VERY easy,very cheap.Can yo umake a quality game for little money,well barely,maybe if yoru making a board game or something like Yahtzee but if yoru making a RPG type game,something that should be immersive,NO you cannot make a quality one that looks like an ARPG.

There are some actual WORST of games and although i have not played them you don't have to be a rocket scientist to see the very worst.

There are games on steam ,MANY of them that should never have seen the light of day,like NEVER.For instance there is one something called "to shower with your dad".R U freakin serious?There are many more like that ,i have sifted past them doing searches and que ues.

Steam's integrity on allowing games to be for sale is at the utmost bottom of the barrel and this is the gaming industry in a nutshell.It is all about $$$ and if there is a way to make money Steam will do it.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,509
    My vote goes to "all of the above"

;)
    Sandmanjw

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• CaffynatedCaffynated Member RarePosts: 753
    Bless Offline.
    iixviiiix
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,839
    Ridelynn said:
    I think my vote would go to Star Citizen

Not so much because it's a bad game, but because it's an unfinished promise that's still raking in cash, perpetuating (what I perceive to be) a corrupt business model
    Star Citizen won't even be a game of the next ten years.
    Ridelynn
  • UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    Living a blessed life if FF13 was the worst game of the decade for you. Keep on doing whatever it is you're doing.
    DeadSpock
  • skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,181
    Maybe you mean biggest disappointment? FFXIII was a letdown for me (and many others) but it was still well received and sold millions of copies. There are tons of games (excluding indie 1 man team "games") that are horrible in terms of design and execution. I would argue that for a big budget game, something like Duke Nukem Forever would be a strong candidate for worst game of the last ten years.
    Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    edited March 2020
    Jurassic Island: The Dinosaur Zoo

I figured that the single worst game is probably some obscure, indie game that basically no one has ever heard of.  Most recent shovelware games seem to be on Steam, at least if they release in English and the company is trying to sell the game rather than give it away.  So I figured I'd ask Steam which game has the worst ratings.  And Jurassic Island: The Dinosaur Zoo is it, with only 4% positive reviews out of 64 reviews in total.  Which is strange, as 2 positive reviews out of 64 would round to 3% and 3 positive would round to 5%, so it has somewhere strictly between 2 and 3 positive reviews.  Not surprisingly, I had never heard of it.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/378420/Jurassic_Island_The_Dinosaur_Zoo/

I've never played it and don't care to.  But I'd bet it is a worse game than anything that anyone else has listed so far on this thread.

Steam actually says that it has too few reviews to merit an "overwhelmingly negative" summary of the reviews.  Among games with more reviews, the worst rated game is Flatout 3: Chaos & Destruction, which has 12% positive reviews out of 1964 reviews in total.  Because people apparently kept buying it even after it had spectacularly awful reviews.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/201510/Flatout_3_Chaos__Destruction/
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,988
    Pretty target-rich environment, but I'll start with Pathfinder Online 
    That link does a pretty good job of summing up why.
    So would this VIDEO

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Pretty target-rich environment, but I'll start with Pathfinder Online 
    That link does a pretty good job of summing up why.
    So would this VIDEO

I was also thinking about this one. Like I said in another thread: “I bought this for shit and giggles and it is so bad that I only got the first.”

But very bad games aren’t the worst for me, most of the time there is some form of entertainment to be had, even if its at the games expense. The worst offenders for me are the incredibly bland games out there that make you feel absolutely nothing when you play them.

In that category I would like to nominate Chaosbane as it somehow manages to screw up both the ARPG genre AND the Warhammer setting and the outcome makes me fall asleep despite the two traits being some of my favourites. I hate it for doing that to me.

Also Shroud of the Avatar for taking Ultima and then ripping out its soul and replacing it with a cashshop, wrapped up in a UI designed by epileptic monkeys. It works, it isn’t hideously ugly, it has content and isn’t vaporware, it also isn’t fun in any way, shape or form.

Final nomination goes to an indie game made by the amazing Double Fine named Rad. Its supposed to be eighties cool, a roguelike in an apocalyptic setting with lots of fun and neon. It plays reasonably well and I grew bored with it after 10 minutes. It looks bland, it plays bland and it has one gameplay loop done better in just about every other roguelike. Its setting is the worst offender, it evokes nothing.

About FFXIII, many hate it for the reasons described in the OP. Funnily enough FFX does the exact same things but is seen as an amazing game. Funny how that works.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    I can't answer. So many. I'm reminded of a Robert Duval quote from the movie Colors. "It's like you are surrounded by a sea of shit, and you reach down, pick up a single turd, and say. 'This one. This turd bothers me.'"
    sumdumguy1Caffynated

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Wildstar Hands don it killed the western mmorpg 
    oriface
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373
    For me Star Trek Online, many are familiar with the plethora of reasons, no need to type a novel again.