Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My Precious ....

AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
What item or rare ability did you obtain that you prized above all others?

For me it was Swiftwind, one of two swords from the ranger epic quest in Everquest.

There had to be something that meant the most to you?

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

AmarantharChildoftheShadowsAlBQuirkyUngoodScot

Comments

• JensynJensyn Member UncommonPosts: 158
    I think my favorite and probably the most rare item I've gotten is probably my Hyacinth Macaw pet in WoW. I was new to the game and remember adventuring with this guy who had the name Midgardsom. He didn't mind helping me out and we became good friends. He invited me to his guild eventually, and the leaders of the guild ran us through Deadmines (Don't remember if it was for a quest or loot). Came across the pier at the end, and the first set of mobs we pulled dropped it. The guild was so happy that it dropped, and we finished the run in high spirits. It kind of serves as a reminder of my old friends and when everything was shiny and new for me in WoW. Lots of good memories with that guild.

AmatheKyleranUngoodAlBQuirky
    Bookmarks are for quitters. 
  • CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    In diablo 2, i had found a tal rasha armor legitimately. 

In Project entropia, i got a single loot for $301 on a mob that cost about 10 cents to kill. 

Too may to count on path of exile. 
    AmatheAlBQuirky
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 2,193
    Amathe said:

For me it was Swiftwind, one of two swords from the ranger epic quest in Everquest.

Ivy etched armor and duel centi long swords. 
    AmatheUngoodAlBQuirky
  • AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,801
    Oh wow, this is a good topic. 

I guess the best in-game thing I got was a Pet Drake in UO. 
    This was like a sub species of Dragon, and quite powerful. Just not as powerful as a Dragon. 

I had a hard time in UO. I was vocal against PKing in UO and wanted a justice system that didn't have escape clauses in it. 
    As a result, many PKers killed me on sight, in-game. 
    I was almost always broke, a peasant and a pauper, because of this. 
    (But I loved the rest of the game.) 

At one point, I was the Mayor of Yew (always a RP city of choice). And a GM event was going on, and I was set up and killed right in front of everyone, just as the attack started. I don't know if the GMs did it or not, as part of a plot line, it was pretty elaborate and the timing was perfect.
    Then a player that didn't like me at all, a local and well known thief, looter, etc., stood there and looted me of my last stuff. Nothing even in the bank. No gold, because I had spent my last on Reagents (spell casting supplies) for the event. 
    AND NO ONE STOPPED HIM! 

I was royally pizzed off. 

That's when another player came around a few days later and gave me this Pet Drake, to help me out. 
    That meant an awful lot to me.
    And that's why I guess I'd call that the best thing I ever got. (Not to mention, that Pet made quick work of most MOBs and I recovered very nicely.)

But all good things come to an end. 
    And the PKers weren't done with me.
    They set me up in a very well designed ambush, I recognized what they were trying to do but they had about 6 people involved and I lost the battle. They separated me from my Drake, and killed it. 
    The bassturds. 

AmatheKyleranUngoodAlBQuirky

Once upon a time....

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    I'm not normally a vanity pet guy but when I got an ultra rare (back in the day... not sure if it's still that rare) Hyacinth Macaw I decided to keep it as my trusty companion instead of selling it for the boatload of gold they went for.

Played WOW for a couple of months last year and took it everywhere with me... my precious :)
    AmatheUngoodScotAlBQuirky
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    edited February 2020
    Blood Blade inner Age of Wushu it took about a month to collect the pages then another 2 months to level it. Basically what it did was add a mortal strike/healing debuff to all my skills, but I lost like 20% damage. Oh it also put my dodge on godly level.

People thought I was stupid for putting it together. They new I was crazy for hanging out in a cave for two months to level it fast. Things level over time in Wushu similar to eve.

Once it was complete it added to my legend. People always feared Hemlock, now I swear i would sometimes see terror.
    AmarantharAmatheUngoodAlBQuirky
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    edited February 2020
    In my first MMORPG, Lineage 1, Mages had to buy their spells and some were extremely rare and costly if you weren't lucky enough to get them as a drop.

One of the rarest was the invisibility spell, worth about 4B Adena if sold but after getting one in a drop I turned down several such offers deciding to use it myself which greatly contributed to having big fun in seiges.

Unfortunately the RNG godz were rarely so good to me in later games which is why I gravitated to EVE where I could buy the damn thing even if my luck ran cold.

Post edited by Kyleran on
    AmatheUngoodAlBQuirky

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    JBoots in EQ1. I lined up just to get into the team that was camping them. Must have been 50 odd players deep. From start to finish it took me like 36hrs of non-stop utter boring game play. Man my Necro was a solo king in them flashy brown boots. 
    Tuor7UngoodAlBQuirky
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    edited February 2020
    I couldn't think of anything at first, but I was pretty proud of my bright blue Lambent Armor set I worked for in EQ,

AmatheKyleranUngoodVermillion_Raventhal

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

AlBQuirky said:
    I couldn't think of anything at first, but I was pretty proud of my bright blue Lambent Armor set I worked for in EQ,

I was really disappointed when dyes appeared in EQ. I remember working hard to get my ivy etched armor and once dyes happened there were several models that could be dyed green to look just like them. 
    AmatheKyleranAlBQuirky
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Nyctelios said:
    I don't think I have one big huge item/drop that I love above all else.
    [...]
    My most beloved items are in fact their appearance, not their dps or gear score - and that's because they remind my the good times I had, and the ones that are to come.
    Pretty much this. Items are just items, the few I treasure a bit more than the average are those reminding me of good times. I have a lvl50 hammer in AoC I still used to swing sometimes, just to see it again on my shammy... (of course it's useless now, beyond its sentimental value)

As for my precious, since it subtly indicates LotRO, I'd say my skeleton painted pony. A normal steed, nothing extra in it besides being a very rare RNG drop, and the fact that I got it pretty early on the very first Haunted Burrow festival.
    Of course nowadays it's more common due to the numerous years, and there are store variants too with different paint colours... so I rarely took it out for a ride, but still a great trip down to memory lane when I do.

Less RNG and more actual achievement-based, the two session-play cloaks (chicken and horse). Especially the chicken, the horse cloak is easier a bit.
    AmatheUngoodAlBQuirky
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919
    edited February 2020
    AlBQuirky said:

I was really disappointed when dyes appeared in EQ. I remember working hard to get my ivy etched armor and once dyes happened there were several models that could be dyed green to look just like them. 
    That armour looks better with the old models. Oh what pray tell have you got against vowels?

Image result for full lambert Everquest bard

My house in Everquest 2 was my most prized possession because every item in there took ages to collect resources, recipes and time.
    AmatheUngoodAlBQuirky

I also recall loving my first "glowy sword" in DAOC, even after I got much better (which didn't glow) I still ran around with the shiny one for looks, didn't matter all that much in the zerg anyways 
    AmatheSensaiUngoodAlBQuirky

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Tuor7Tuor7 Member RarePosts: 982
    Hmm. Probably, as with a previous poster, getting my J-Boots in EQ was pretty meaningful to me at the time.  I was also pretty proud of myself getting attenuated to Onyxia's Lair after a really long quest chain.
    KyleranAmatheUngoodAlBQuirky
  • lotrlorelotrlore Managing EditorMMORPG.COM Staff, Member RarePosts: 558
    So, LotRO was the first MMO I really sunk my teeth into. I remember back in the Shadows of Angmar days trying to get Bane of Frovengwath, the bow from the boss inside Barad Gularan. This bow, at the time, was considered the best in the game, and I was seemingly the only hunter on Nimrodel without it. 

Of course, when I finally got it the new LI system was being rolled out, but I was so happy I couldn't contain it. I stuck with that outdated bow for most of Moria, lol.
    KyleranAmatheUngoodScotAlBQuirky
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,532
    DDO. There was an Armor set, called Levik's.

I got the Rune for my Dragon Touched the First time I went through Reaver's Refugee. I then got the Bracers quite literally from my first HoX run... on my first life as a Paladin.

10 TR's and 3 years Later.. and I lost count of how many HoX runs.. before I finally got the Shield to complete the set.

That felt like I completed something.. like a "I finally Got it!"
    AmatheKyleranAlBQuirky
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Amathe said:

omg yes. Those were the days. I remember saving and saving to get the 2 centis. And I agonized over whether they were "pre-nerf" or not. I'm not sure to this day if there really was such a thing. I knew very little at all really. I just knew (or believed) post-nerf was bad and something to be avoided.
    UngoodKyleranAlBQuirky

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

Amathe said:
    Amathe said:

omg yes. Those were the days. I remember saving and saving to get the 2 centis. And I agonized over whether they were "pre-nerf" or not. I'm not sure to this day if there really was such a thing. I knew very little at all really. I just knew (or believed) post-nerf was bad and something to be avoided.
    I ended up living at the EC tunnels trading, figuring out what to farm and sell. I remember bones were actually pretty good, but I forget most of the market. Anyway, yeah it was buy and sell until I could afford them lol. 
    KyleranAmatheTuor7AlBQuirky
    edited February 2020
    A not so fond memory... Lineage 1 again.

When creating my mage I allocated my attribute points in order to make the perfect "bugbear" mage, able to command up to 5 pets at once, depending on the luck of the spell cast.

As it was pretty easy to recast  the spell until you got 4 pets that's what most went with and it did make you quite powerful in certain PVE situations like clearing the ant caves which bugbear mages literally owned.

So for my first 3 or 4 months in game I ground until my eyes bled,  finally save up the huge sum of one million adena and purchased this spell which was going to lead to untold wealth.

It worked perfectly, in short order I was raking in adena in as planned until....2 weeks later when mage nerf happened.

NC decided to rebalance mages around their attribute points and I took a double whammy.

First the number of bugbears a mage could cast was limited by the number of points spent on charisma.  Only mages with 15 charisma could get up to 5 pets.

As doing such would have greatly reduced either spell power or available mana most mages ran a more balanced f zdxbuild with far less spent on charisma as it previously only impacted pet health or something which was of little consequence if you could run with 4 pets, recasting if you lost one somehow.

With my charisma level I found I was limited to 3 pets, and the RNG was similarly adjusted so I had a hard time getting more than 2 pets without having to suck down a few mana pots to keep trying.

Coupled with the fact unless I had a lot of points in either wisdom or intelligence,  my spell power in particular was also impacted, but also my mana which made casting that invisibility spell I mentioned earlier last for less duration and more costly to recast. 

Fact is, a "balanced" build like mine got the worst of all worlds, being mostly average in any area, excelling at nothing. 

The final kick to the groin? There was no option to reallocate my attribute points, not in any way, my only option was to reroll a new mage and start it all again...(bye bye rare invisibility spell)

Uhh no....my other option was to quit and go try another new MMORPG I had heard of, DAOC.  It was for the best I think.

Oh yeah...that 1M adena bugbear scroll I had worked so hard for? Within two weeks after the nerf people were selling them for 30K adena...with few takers....sigh...

Tuor7AmatheAlBQuirkybcbully

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,981
    edited February 2020
    The Ironbreakers (I think that's right) ability in Warhammer Online to punt enemies of ledges was awesome. Outside the  minigame "scenarios" you only really used it to punt enemies into a mob of friendlies but still awesome. :)

Not a rare ability just a class one, but my all time favourite.
    AmatheUngoodAlBQuirkyKyleran
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Early on in EQ1, I was absolutely fanatic to make (and sell) Seafarer's Ring Mail.  It was difficult to make, requiring lots of time spent in Ocean of Tears to get the components, and only could be made by humans.  Imagine my disappointment when a full set of this didn't appear any different from the standard-issue bronze mail.  It was only very marginally better than anything much more readily available.

I even created an alt specifically as a Seafarer's Spokesmodel.  All for naught, as I sold exactly 0 pieces of any set, even at cut rate prices.

My desire to look distinctive lead me to finally get out of the silly caster robes with my enchanter.  That was a quest that took several expansions (until PoP, I think) when the game finally introduced a monk-look for casters!  It was great for a few weeks when I got an upgrade I couldn't pass up (and desperately needed).  I kept the monk-look for special occasions.  I wish I could remember what that item was.  I remember even having a hotkey claiming "I may look like a monk, but I am not FD.  Revive me, please".

AmatheAlBQuirky

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    edited February 2020
    kitarad said:
    Oh what pray tell have you got against vowels?
    I created this character shortly after seeing "Tomorrow Never Dies", where the opening scene is James Bond with his Danish instructor in sheets. When Moneypenny calls, she quips, "Oh, James, you're such a cunning linguist."

I had to "elf it up" so that the GMs wouldn't give me grief :)

I also got into every language grouping I could and had a great list of languages I was fluent in :)

PS: Thought I'd add this link for our non-English as a first language folks :)
    cunnilingus

Post edited by AlBQuirky on

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Scot said:
    The Ironbreakers (I think that's right) ability in Warhammer Online to punt enemies of ledges was awesome. Outside the  minigame "scenarios" you only really used it to punt enemies into a mob of friendlies but still awesome. :)

The primary use  and  most effective way for Punt to be used was in The Elf Land RvR lakes , so many high bridge Choke points .. 
    Scot
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,981
    edited February 2020
    Scorchien said:
    Scot said:

The primary use  and  most effective way for Punt to be used was in The Elf Land RvR lakes , so many high bridge Choke points .. 
    As they knew what you could do it was a dance between you and them to get in the right spot to punt them while sometimes still fighting them or others. It changed the way we engaged. :)

In the RvR zones I can remember charging forward on my own and being healed for masses and masses of damage, catching the one guy who was too far from the enemy group and punting him back to my side where he melted under the onslaught.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Well because in FFXi you can mix and match classes with the sub ability "quest",it means items and abilities are even more useful/coveted.

Utsusemi which took some work to get.It is an ability used by the Ninja class that gives the player 3 shadows to start and upgrades later to 4 and 5.Basically allows the Ninja to avoid taking a hit.Of course AOE's would offer up more hits making shadows less effective but still effective none the less.

Eurytos bow..Insane Bow for the Ranger that if i remember right can be used around level 55 and when combined with the ability Sidewinder can do massive spike damage.SO much spike damage that you would pretty much guarantee stealing hate from the tank so would need to tiem the usage and or make sure you subbed the Ninja class for shadows.
    AlBQuirky

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.