Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What’s Your Biggest MMO Shame?

2

Comments

  • tomahawk1930tomahawk1930 Member UncommonPosts: 43
    edited February 2020

    Jensyn said:

    I still haven't attained the Legendary Defender of Ascalon title from GW. I went back a couple of months ago and decided to make a new character to see how far I could get pre-searing. I think I made it to about level 13 or so, and life kind of took over and I just stopped playing.

    I didn't realize but there's still a huge pre-searing GW community. Folks that made it to 20 and just kind of stay around trading, talking, helping folks. I kind of feel the itch to pick it back up again. I really wanted to take the cape with me all the way to the end, across expansions, so I could give it to Gwen. Just as a nostalgia thing. That might make a neat article-going back and revisiting it again.  :)



    I got LDOA. Not really worth it tbh.
    Jensyn
  • ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 2,013
    Eve was a lot of work in pve that I grew to hate. When plex was released I started buying isk, use a bit to pay the sub fee and then use the rest to pay for my pvp. 

    Later I wrote my own mining bot and never paid for anything again. 

    Actually... I’m not ashamed. 
  • ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 2,013
    edited February 2020
    Ungood said:
    I don't have any thing that I felt I did, that regret as far as gaming goes, because at the time, I felt it was the right thing to do.

    I suppose, really, if I had to say my biggest folly was thinking that any developer would realize their mistake in a timely manner.

    Like for example, SSG, in DDO, they made a massive revamp of all the classes, now that alone was not really a problem, they then after this massive revamp, and people that play Wizards, like myself, went and reset all our stats, builds, and in some cases, gear, they went and changed wizards specializations again.

    Now in DDO, a re-spec (Called "Hearts of Wood") costs money, and the first time they did give everyone a free re-spec, but when they changed wizards the second time, they just flipped them the bird and expected them to foot the bill of a re-spec if they were not happy with how the Dev's changed things.

    I when to their official forums and mentioned that this made me very unhappy, and I did not take it well or hold back my frustration when they told me that If I was not happy with their changes that I should buy the heart and be done with it, and that ended with my Forum Account getting banned.  I am not going to say I wasn't rude.. but my point was valid.

    Anyway... Taking that as the hint it was, I left the game. (Apparently, I was not alone), and lo and behold, when I went back, like a year of two later, not sure, there were 2 re-spec Hearts waiting for me, for each and every character I had, apparently, they had changed things again, and this time, they caught the clue that is was a smart thing to give out a free re-spec, when they do that kind of thing.

    The thing about going back to games however, is when you chose to leave a game, a large part of the game dies to you, and while I was glad they got the message, I never bothered to use them.. because honestly the time I came back, I was just there to screw around and re-connect with some people I knew, I could not have cared less about the game or my build, or anything else for that matter.

    So.. I guess.. in that venture.. my greatest folly or shame as it were, is the belief that Devs will ever really listen to players words, that we can reason with them, we cannot. The only real way to let them know we are unhappy, is not to keep playing and swear never to spend another red cent again.. but to shut the game down and walk away.

    That seems to the the only message they will ever get.. so.. I guess while it has taken me years and several games to really grasp that, (I'm hard headed I know) , I would say.. my shame is that I really should have caught that sooner.

    But you know.. I don't think I ever would have learned that lesson if I never went back to some of the games that pissed me off so much I left for a long time.

    Pity tho, that the game becomes so much more hollow when you come back, like a shell of what it once was, still the same game, but.. just that care and investment is not there anymore.
    I’d say your biggest folly in this situation is like most gamers. You think your right, no matter what, and that you’re the only one the devs should listen to. You, like the rest, forget there are “the rest” and all those voices can’t be heard and answered at once. 

    I’m not saying you weren’t right or you were the only one talking about whatever problem, just saying that I read in every game, every forum, every complaint is the same yet no one realizes they’re  just another drop of water in the rain. 
  • AlverantAlverant Member RarePosts: 1,249
    I got the founders edition of Wildstar and enjoyed the beta, even defending it here a few times against ESO.
    Ungood
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 9,457
    Wildstar, I was so pumped for that game and it felt like I should have loved it and kept playing even though I was not having fun. I was convinced it had to get better. It just didn't. 
    Alverant
  • NycteliosNyctelios Member EpicPosts: 4,186
    ...Shame?

    I played Priston Tale a lot...?

    In my defense that was the only thing we had to play here.
    Discord ID: Night # 6102
    Current playing: 
    Guilty Gear - Strive | Pillars of Eternity

    "There is a fine line between consideration and hesitation. The former is wisdom, the latter is fear." Izaro Phrecius, Holy Emperor of the Eternal Empire, Last of Royal Phrecius Family.
  • HazenXIIIHazenXIII Member UncommonPosts: 98
    Still being subscribed to SWTOR since launch
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 6,029
    Ungood said:
    I don't have any thing that I felt I did, that regret as far as gaming goes, because at the time, I felt it was the right thing to do.

    I suppose, really, if I had to say my biggest folly was thinking that any developer would realize their mistake in a timely manner.

    Like for example, SSG, in DDO, they made a massive revamp of all the classes, now that alone was not really a problem, they then after this massive revamp, and people that play Wizards, like myself, went and reset all our stats, builds, and in some cases, gear, they went and changed wizards specializations again.

    Now in DDO, a re-spec (Called "Hearts of Wood") costs money, and the first time they did give everyone a free re-spec, but when they changed wizards the second time, they just flipped them the bird and expected them to foot the bill of a re-spec if they were not happy with how the Dev's changed things.

    I when to their official forums and mentioned that this made me very unhappy, and I did not take it well or hold back my frustration when they told me that If I was not happy with their changes that I should buy the heart and be done with it, and that ended with my Forum Account getting banned.  I am not going to say I wasn't rude.. but my point was valid.

    Anyway... Taking that as the hint it was, I left the game. (Apparently, I was not alone), and lo and behold, when I went back, like a year of two later, not sure, there were 2 re-spec Hearts waiting for me, for each and every character I had, apparently, they had changed things again, and this time, they caught the clue that is was a smart thing to give out a free re-spec, when they do that kind of thing.

    The thing about going back to games however, is when you chose to leave a game, a large part of the game dies to you, and while I was glad they got the message, I never bothered to use them.. because honestly the time I came back, I was just there to screw around and re-connect with some people I knew, I could not have cared less about the game or my build, or anything else for that matter.

    So.. I guess.. in that venture.. my greatest folly or shame as it were, is the belief that Devs will ever really listen to players words, that we can reason with them, we cannot. The only real way to let them know we are unhappy, is not to keep playing and swear never to spend another red cent again.. but to shut the game down and walk away.

    That seems to the the only message they will ever get.. so.. I guess while it has taken me years and several games to really grasp that, (I'm hard headed I know) , I would say.. my shame is that I really should have caught that sooner.

    But you know.. I don't think I ever would have learned that lesson if I never went back to some of the games that pissed me off so much I left for a long time.

    Pity tho, that the game becomes so much more hollow when you come back, like a shell of what it once was, still the same game, but.. just that care and investment is not there anymore.
    I’d say your biggest folly in this situation is like most gamers. You think your right, no matter what, and that you’re the only one the devs should listen to. You, like the rest, forget there are “the rest” and all those voices can’t be heard and answered at once. 

    I’m not saying you weren’t right or you were the only one talking about whatever problem, just saying that I read in every game, every forum, every complaint is the same yet no one realizes they’re  just another drop of water in the rain. 
    No.

    My Folly was not thinking I was right, being upset about something, or feeling something is wrong, unjust, or in some cases it simply flat out pissed me off, is a matter of opnion, and thus is not subject to absolutes like being right or wrong. If I was unhappy with something, then I was unhappy, that is an indisputable fact.

    My Folly was Thinking I could express that it was not a smart or net-positive thing to do to players like myself in reasonable way to Developers and have them respond in a timely manner.

    Now, if I was Alone in my Feels, then nothing would have changed, but things did change, because, when I tried to express to the Developers that what they did was a bad thing, apparently other players (Who I wager had more restraint and common sense then I did) were not wasting their time to bother to talk with them, and just quietly packing their bags. Perhaps some even saw me losing my shit on the forums and felt they didn't need to add to my shit storm.. who knows.

    What I do know, was that, when I was voicing my feelings, I was apparently very much, not alone, even if I felt like I was on the forums.

    I guess, in a way, my folly was not quietly packing my bags along with all the other people that I wager felt the same way I did.. and just moving on.

    So looking back, What did I get for my time and effort?

    They heard the people leave who said nothing at all.. my shame .. I should have joined them.. not the forums.
    Mendel
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.
  • CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,218
    xD_Gaming said:
    I botted and bought gold in Lineage 2 :( I was working 12 hour nights at the time and was losing valuable game time <.< for that , I have Shame :|
    Thanks for being a cog in the wheel that ruined lineage 2. 
    [Deleted User]
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,100
    Getting up to level 40 in warhammer and quitting not long after. What a waste of time that game was.

    Hanging around a year at an elder scrolls online forum and being so disappointed by the beta that I never played the game during released.

    Those two games are responsible for making me jaded about all upcoming mmorpg.

    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • LithuanianLithuanian Member UncommonPosts: 448
    Abandoning Istaria. Loved it, all these runnings forwards-backwards, tons of crafting, aiding in building...Yet Lotro took all my time + Istaria introduced unneeded restrictions.

    Believing developers may listen to my opinion or opinion of any non-whale, no matter how logic that opinion is.
    Ungood
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 8,035
    I don't stick around end game much. I dislike raiding. I did a lot of it in Everquest but I quickly hated it in WoW. I think I may have missed something but I am unable to ever force myself to do it now and I regret that.

    I make far too many alts and sometimes that wears me out and I don't play till the end and quit before that. However even with many alts I reached the end game in both City of Heroes and Villains, SWTOR and FFXIV before the expansion. I left FFXI because my static group drove me to exhaustion as a Red Mage. I regret I left and never went back.

    I cannot move my hands fast enough so I cannot play certain games like Aion in groups and that was a regret because I wanted to be an awesome healer in it.

    I have one big shame is that I never could get into AC and I think that was  a big loss to me as a player.
    blueturtle13Ungood
    Chamber of Chains
  • foppoteefoppotee Member UncommonPosts: 386


    I played Star Trek Online.  After playing, I came back three times over the years in hopes it would get better.  Alas I am not only a fool, but a fool's fool.



    IMO you're not a fool, but STO does seem to be on a possible steep decline, but a lot of that has been self-injury imo by Cryptic even with some good things Cryptic has done over the last couple of years. Poor communication with the STO community as a whole is a problem imo, unless you have an in-route with someone at Cryptic or PWE. There seems to be an echo-chamber at Cryptic too.

    Besides, sometimes it is good to take a break. A couple of things STO has going for it is 1) the Star Trek license 2) it seems to be the "best/only" starship PvE focused game around.

    A few years back I bought zen most times there were sales even if I didn't have an immediate purchase in mind to try to support STO. I stopped buying zen long ago though with all the introduced gambling, a lot less story content introduced compared to previous years, & Cryptic seems to keep cancelling casual player friendly features aka even this latest Admiralty change. Nowadays Cryptic wants STO to be akin to Star Citizen it seems.
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,234
    When CoH, SWG, DAOC, WoW, LOTR, TR, and maybe a dozen other games all released, I stuck with EQ1 for a long while - probably until ... Dragons of Norrath. I'm not so shameful about sticking with them, but it leads up to it. I did eventually jump ship to WoW right before WotLK, and retired from EQ there.

    So the shameful part. I stuck with EQ for a long time because I had a great guild. I was an officer for a time, which was extremely hard work, but for the most part rewarding. But the burnout got to me and I needed a break.

    After being gone from EQ for a while, I started WoW late in BC, and raided through most of WotLK. Then I decided to come back to EQ after a couple of years. After having raided a bit more seriously in WoW than I had previously in EQ, when I came back, I jumped my previous guild to one in a higher tier.

    That is what I am shameful about. I should have come back to the friends I always had, because that was ultimately what the game was all about - not grinding through content. The guild I leapfrogged to eventually folded, and most of us went back to that old guild with friends, but it was never quite the same... I felt like an outsider at that point, and for good reason, I had betrayed them; not only by leapfrogging to a more advanced guild when I came back, but honestly I felt no small amount of guilt in having left in the first place.

    Also, I shamelessly play Asian F2P games until I hit the P2W wall. It's like candy - cheap free entertainment, but it has no substance.
    Ungood
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member EpicPosts: 8,461
    Shaigh said:
    Getting up to level 40 in warhammer and quitting not long after. What a waste of time that game was.

    Hanging around a year at an elder scrolls online forum and being so disappointed by the beta that I never played the game during released.

    Those two games are responsible for making me jaded about all upcoming mmorpg.


    Warhammer and Age of Conan were probably my MMO breaking point...>After those two massive failures I never got excited about upcoming overhyped games again.
    Ungood
  • xpsyncxpsync Member EpicPosts: 1,850
    edited February 2020
    Using a character boost.

    I love leveling, learning every in and out of my class, know how to truly work it for all it's worth, questing, running dungeons over and over. I'll never boost again.

    Bottom line it left me with husk, no connection to it, no idea how to really truly operate it to its full potential, almost deleted it tbh.

    I participate in end game, but i'm not an "all about end game" guy, i love exploring worlds with the characters i create to explore them with, it's a critical bonding process... completely skipped.

    So ofc using a character boost was a huge regret.

    JensynUngood
    Your legend ends here and now! - (Battles Won Long Ago)

    Remember your ABC's, Always Be Casting! - Preheat 2021

    Currently Playing; WOW, SWG:L

  • JensynJensyn Member UncommonPosts: 124
    xpsync said:
    Using a character boost.

    I love leveling, learning every in and out of my class, know how to truly work it for all it's worth, and questing, running dungeons and yeah i'll never boost again.

    Bottom line it left me with husk, no connection to it, almost deleted it, yes i participate in end game, but not an end game guy, i love exploring the world with the character i have created to explore it with, it's a bonding process.

    So yeah, using a character boost was a huge regret.


    I've encountered this, too. I used the boosts that came with the x-pacs and I just..never bonded to that character-like you said. Never got into the groove of the class or felt the desire to play it. :(
    xpsync
  • xpsyncxpsync Member EpicPosts: 1,850
    Jensyn said:

    I've encountered this, too. I used the boosts that came with the x-pacs and I just..never bonded to that character-like you said. Never got into the groove of the class or felt the desire to play it. :(

    It sounds so weird like WTF??? you hearing this guy? Bonding with his character?? whoa! wtf bruh? but it makes all the difference in the world.
    AlverantJensyn
    Your legend ends here and now! - (Battles Won Long Ago)

    Remember your ABC's, Always Be Casting! - Preheat 2021

    Currently Playing; WOW, SWG:L

  • EmeraqEmeraq Member UncommonPosts: 1,049
    I'd have to say my first and foremost is LoTRO, I am a lifetime preorder guy and my highest level after all these years, what almost 13 years, is only 71 and just now approaching Rise of Isengard I think.. or maybe a little before that.. I dunno. Second is GW2, have had multiple level 80's doing the train thing and never completed the main campaign. And third is SWTOR, also a preorder guy and still have two class stories unfinished, only because Trooper and Agent dont interest me as much as the others.
    Buschkatze
  • AlverantAlverant Member RarePosts: 1,249
    xpsync said:
    Jensyn said:

    I've encountered this, too. I used the boosts that came with the x-pacs and I just..never bonded to that character-like you said. Never got into the groove of the class or felt the desire to play it. :(

    It sounds so weird like WTF??? you hearing this guy? Bonding with his character?? whoa! wtf bruh? but it makes all the difference in the world.
    When I went to City of Heroes Homecoming the first thing I did was recreate one of my favorite heroes from the original. Later I recreated my favorite villain. I haven't made any other characters since.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member EpicPosts: 8,461
    Emeraq said:
    I'd have to say my first and foremost is LoTRO, I am a lifetime preorder guy and my highest level after all these years, what almost 13 years, is only 71 and just now approaching Rise of Isengard I think.. or maybe a little before that.. I dunno. Second is GW2, have had multiple level 80's doing the train thing and never completed the main campaign. And third is SWTOR, also a preorder guy and still have two class stories unfinished, only because Trooper and Agent dont interest me as much as the others.

    By the time LoTRO came out I was burnt out on questing....I gave it a try to see the world, but it was such a quest heavy game I just couldn't last very long doing that...I think I made it as far as 38 with one character but that was all I could handle.
    Buschkatze
  • AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 2,794
    Always go back to FFXIV, sub then only end up playing for 3 days. Then a few months goes by and the same again.

    Paying full price for Vangaurd that couldn't even be played when it first came out.

    Way back in the day spent $1000 on Conquor Online.

    Pretty much getting the GW1 achievements for GW2. Still "getting around" to it.

    This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

  • doomexdoomex Member UncommonPosts: 120
    Buying Archege Unchained instead of GW2, thinking AU will be more fun because you can chose what to do farmville,pirating,trading,exploring.
    Buschkatze
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 6,029
    Jensyn said:
    xpsync said:
    Using a character boost.

    I love leveling, learning every in and out of my class, know how to truly work it for all it's worth, and questing, running dungeons and yeah i'll never boost again.

    Bottom line it left me with husk, no connection to it, almost deleted it, yes i participate in end game, but not an end game guy, i love exploring the world with the character i have created to explore it with, it's a bonding process.

    So yeah, using a character boost was a huge regret.


    I've encountered this, too. I used the boosts that came with the x-pacs and I just..never bonded to that character-like you said. Never got into the groove of the class or felt the desire to play it. :(
    I get what ya all are saying.. but at the same time, hear me out.

    Playing GW2, right, they give you tomes of leveling, which, each tome gives you 1 level, and I have now, several hundred of these tomes lying around.

    Because of that, I have only ever, leveled up 1 character in GW2, my first, which now just does OW PvE stuff, like World Bosses. after that, every character has been level jumped. But, each character I have, I made with a specific purpose, a reason for them to exist, typically for a direct game mode.

    IE: I made a Warrior Purely for Fractals, that was all they were built for, I went to the Meta Battle Site, took down exactly what I needed to make a power based banner slave, and focused on building that to exact code. They became my 'Fractal Character' and I do not do fractals on any other character, i invested into the Agony, and Ascended Gear, just for them, so they could do that game mode.

    I then made a Necro for WvW. That is what I WvW in. If I plan to go and do WvW, I log in my Necro and do that. Since the meta has changed for them, they change with the meta. But that is it.. they only change with the WvW Meta. Nothing else, if PvE meta goes six ways to sideways, it does not affect my Necro.


    And then, Another one for PvP, Etc, In this venture, since each one was made with a purpose, a goal, and a focus, each one had their own place in my line up, so I bonded with each of them, in their own way, even if I only ever leveled 1 of them.

    GW2 was the only game I did this in.
    Buschkatze
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.
  • syltmackasyltmacka Member UncommonPosts: 404
    i enjoyed and spent many thousands irl money on swtor.
    still playing wow.
    Ungood
Sign In or Register to comment.