Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Massive, Online, and Divided

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited February 2020 in News & Features Discussion

imageMassive, Online, and Divided

Red Thomas explores the state of MMOs and the seeming divide between what he likes and what some of the younger gamers seem to like. Are the Millennials ruining our games? Red walks through a few things he’s noticed while online with a few younger gamers and what differences might be there.

Read the full story here

Ungood

Comments

• borghive49borghive49 Member RarePosts: 493
    Great read mate! Just an observation, I think it is amazing to see the love old school MMOs are getting these days from younger audiences. I regularly see people in their early 20s streaming OSR and Classic WoW.

I kind of wish that we could get a modern game that mimics some of the older design with a mix of modern ideas and graphics. Hopefully one of these indie MMOs will be able to fill that void.
    AlomarjimmywolfinfomatzRed_ThomasultimateduckHluillOzmodan
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    edited February 2020
    Great article.

I think one difference between young gamers and old(er) ones is that young gamers are less likely to come here. They are off playing whatever, and, like their music, it's often stuff I have never heard about.

We have to be careful we don't forget that this website is a bit of an echo chamber where we oldsters talk amongst ourselves. You never see anyone say "Well I am 12 and me and my friends play _____" 

If one of us comes across a game that has an undesirable feature, we come here and discuss it. I think younger gamers are much less wedded to the games they play, and if they encounter some aggravation they just shrug it off or move on.
    ScotlotrloreinfomatzTacticalZombehRed_ThomasHluill

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• foxgirlfoxgirl Member RarePosts: 485
    Gen Z = those born after 2000.
    Millenials = those born between 80 and 1999.

I'm a Millenial because I was born in 80 and came of age just before 2000.
    KyleranRed_ThomasOzmodanPanzerbeorne39
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,986
    edited February 2020
    These sort of articles need highlighting in the Articles List (mostly they seem to be called editorials) below the slideshow, this is not about what's new in the cash shop or a new DLC.

I do realise they are on the slide show as well, but a highlighted colour box or the like would bring more players to the articles that take on MMO issues.

Insightful take on those rose tinted spectacles we are supposed to have but I do not agree with this:

"The good news is that I think this suggests the market will change over the next five to ten years, or so. As these younger gamers grow older and start looking for more complex games, the studios, flush with new talent that’s itching to build the same kinds of games, will shift towards a more balanced approach to development."

The gaming market is teen even pre-teen facing, there are always going to be new pre-teens coming along, so that demographic direction is not going to change. Teens getting older have the disadvantage of not even knowing that games can be harder or more thoughtful. They will expect more of the same, and if they expect something more thoughtful they will be seen as a rump of players which needs expectation management...just like us.

MendellotrloreKyleranHluill
  • UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    foxgirl said:
    Gen Z = those born after 2000.
    Millenials = those born between 80 and 1999.

I'm a Millenial because I was born in 80 and came of age just before 2000.
    Nah, let's just say Millennial for anyone we want to blame and tag as "lazy and entitled" instead of realizing some of them are almost 40 years old.

Insane that someone even has to write an article explaining that kids are kids, and they don't always want the same things boomers want. Great read though. Props to some actual writing on the site.
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    Fully voiced is your idea of technical innovation? It's not just that it's unimpressive today. It seemed like a dumb idea then, too. When people were complaining about NPCs handing them a wall of quest text explaining why they should go kill ten rats, how did some studio decide that what they really wanted was for the NPC to read that wall of text to them out loud and very slowly?
    MendelSandmanjwjimmywolfKyleraninfomatzkitarad
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,167

Quizzical said:

Fully voiced is your idea of technical innovation? It's not just that it's unimpressive today. It seemed like a dumb idea then, too. When people were complaining about NPCs handing them a wall of quest text explaining why they should go kill ten rats, how did some studio decide that what they really wanted was for the NPC to read that wall of text to them out loud and very slowly?

Took some getting used to for me for sure, especially when I was strapped for time but wanted to understand the story.
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    edited February 2020
    Quizzical said:

The cost of voice acting also curtails the amount of content release in MMORPGs.  I'd rather let people supply the witty comments, even via text.  While they aren't professional writers, players do have one big advantage -- they can be in context, while the writers and actors did their dialog years ago.

Dropping $10,000 for Micheal Dorn to say a couple of lines doesn't have the same bang for the buck as splurging for $1,000 to keep the developer's lounge stocked with Cheetos and Jolt cola.

KyleranHluill

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• ElalandElaland Member UncommonPosts: 40
    Another insightful article from Red. My experience of the 90's aligns with his description of rapid technology changes. I was visiting the CompUSA store every week back then to see new hardware AND new PC games. Modems for internet access were doubling speeds between new models; CPU's were incredibly different as I was building some of my own going from x286 to x386, and finally a x486 DX4 machine before the Pentiums came out and I no longer gained much doing it myself compared to buying the whole PC.

Quizzical said:

Regarding voice acting I have a different opinion; I do prefer the voice acting although there are different levels. Having a static screen like GW2 with voice only doesn't add all that much for me. Better is ESO where the character is animated and talking, and you still have the option to read fast and "space bar" through it if you want. The best voiced characters I liked was SWTOR where not only the NPC was voiced but so was my own character and they were BOTH animated in the video sequence which definitely added to my feeling of immersion in the game.
    RexKushmanHluill
  • cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,707
    Great article, and I can appreciate most of what you say. Where I am a bit more cynical is in the hope for the future.

We regularly see news articles about the negative effects of modern technology. Between mobile phones and social media, we seem to be raising a generation of kids with real attention problems and a really warped view of the world. In the gaming world, you only have to look at things like looter shooters to see similar effects going on: games training kids to focus on immediate fulfilment and shallow accomplishments.

I don't know enough (and maybe not enough time has passed) about whether this generation of children will be able to get past that short attention / shallow mentality. Will they get better simply as they get older? Will they just get bored with shallow games and go searching for better games naturally, or will they just quit gaming? Will the warped view of the world remain with them?

I don't have any answers, but my gut feeling is that just waiting for the youth to get older isn't enough. I don't think they will automatically start looking for deeper, more complex forms of gaming or gaming with a more social/community focus. I think devs need to take a leap of faith and start developing those games now, and start "training" the younger generation in the joys of those types of games.
    MendelBruceYeenewbismxHluill
  • BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    edited February 2020

Great article, and I can appreciate most of what you say. Where I am a bit more cynical is in the hope for the future.

We regularly see news articles about the negative effects of modern technology. Between mobile phones and social media, we seem to be raising a generation of kids with real attention problems and a really warped view of the world. In the gaming world, you only have to look at things like looter shooters to see similar effects going on: games training kids to focus on immediate fulfilment and shallow accomplishments.

I don't know enough (and maybe not enough time has passed) about whether this generation of children will be able to get past that short attention / shallow mentality. Will they get better simply as they get older? Will they just get bored with shallow games and go searching for better games naturally, or will they just quit gaming? Will the warped view of the world remain with them?

I don't have any answers, but my gut feeling is that just waiting for the youth to get older isn't enough. I don't think they will automatically start looking for deeper, more complex forms of gaming or gaming with a more social/community focus. I think devs need to take a leap of faith and start developing those games now, and start "training" the younger generation in the joys of those types of games.

That shallow low cost to produce game model has been very profitable for game companies though so why would they destroy their good situation. It's partially the older gamers fault for crying foul about microtransactions and other monetization that was needed to sustain the MMO genre going into the future. More money was needed and when MMO game companies were experimenting with new models they pushed too far too fast and weren't innovative enough. Many devs like SOE & Trion said "Fk that ya'll paid for all our stuff before we're now gonna offer it for free for a quick buck". They could have handled it better but they were greedy and lazy. Smed & Hartsman should not be allowed within 50 feet of a Gamestop store for all the damage they did. They had gold and turned it into dirt. Older gamer response to microtransactions now still mirrors the responses from back then which makes me think that those two ____ back then caused permanent damage to the psyche of so many that it'll take just the right combination of everything to bring the herd back to pasture. I think Red is 100% right about Crowfall but they have to be smart about the monetization or the back hairs of older gamers will go up again. They should go real lite on rmt at the start then discuss with the community what is ok going forward. I also think Pantheon if ever released has a chance at being great. Those two I think are mmorpg's last hope.
    Post edited by BruceYee on
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    An opinionated article is fine and i agree with most of it except one problem.Why are we mentioning Crowfall which is not even an official game yet and Archeage which folded up and is reselling itself under a new title.So two games that should not come into any support argument at all on the topic of old versus new gamer.

New gamer;s are most certainly a different breed.I remember the days of playing Unreal Tournament and pretty much ev1 despised spammy gaming,the complaints were constant.Now fast forward and the biggest spam filled games...ARPG's are being supported and even often praised.

For myself i do not think it is a matter of old versus new,i try to look at ideals based on common sense and to me gaming is not fun if your playing mindless and taking the player out of the equation.ARPG's for example are all about gem sockets and NOT the player or very little about the player.

A game like the one used in the example Crowfall is about NON immersion,using "seasons"more akin to a TV show/series than immersed in a game world.I have a very strong feeling about what a TYPE of game should entail,example if using the letters RPG i have an idea of what the game should be like and ARPG's and Crowfall do NOT meet the criteria.

The bigger problem i have is that at one time,bad games were simply ignored,now it seems like every crappy game that hits the market can earn some decent sells because there appears to be a lot of addicted spenders.

As to old and new,i do not stand fast on ANY design,if some dev comes along and does a system design better,then GREAT.However all i am seeing is LOTS of worse system designs or in truth LESS systems overall,just very shallow game designs.

MendelVyntTuor7

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• Gentrifried_ChickenGentrifried_Chicken Member UncommonPosts: 6
    I swear people forget what the millennial generation actually includes. Every time I hear it, it's used to describe "young people", which isn't all that accurate. The age range reaches nearly 40, so a lot of the folks I hear complaining about millenials, are millenials themselves.
    ScotTacticalZombehPanzerbeorne39
    I swear people forget what the millennial generation actually includes. Every time I hear it, it's used to describe "young people", which isn't all that accurate. The age range reaches nearly 40, so a lot of the folks I hear complaining about millenials, are millenials themselves.
    Word creep occurs for any words but especially ones newly made up. For example I first heard the expression "national treasure" to describe John Gielgud about ten years after his death. He was one of Brittain's best known actors. Six months later I saw it used to describe Cheryl Cole who had been a pop star for about four years. The media loves to emote, dramatise and make make everthing bigger than it is, so this happens a lot.
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919
    edited February 2020
    Do you think this generation is reading less, I mean books? I consider audio books equivalent to reading so let's not belabour that point but I feel in general that kids these days read a lot less than we used to. Of course I am over 60 so I came from the generation where my mum used to force me to read, I am so grateful to her for that. She gave me whole worlds to explore.

I feel that a lot of our differences are so much more pronounced because the way kids these days do things are so different that we also assume they will not enjoy what we did. My son, I tried what my mum did and he actually was reading many novels but that stopped as he grew older. I am very sad to see he does not read so much. He spends a lot of time on visual novels. He plays MMORPGs and he also has a channel where he plays old 2d games and actually has followers watching him play emulated games.

I cannot fathom the younger generation or I should in my case say 'generations'.

Good article and well written. It is a joy to read articles written by people who articulate their views so well.
    Red_ThomasScotcheyaneHluill

• TacticalZombehTacticalZombeh Member UncommonPosts: 430

kitarad said:

Do you think this generation is reading less, I mean books? I consider audio books equivalent to reading so let's not belabour that point but I feel in general that kids these days read a lot less than we used to. Of course I am over 60 so I came from the generation where my mum used to force me to read, I am so grateful to her for that. She gave me whole worlds to explore.

I feel that a lot of our differences are so much more pronounced because the way kids these days do things are so different that we also assume they will not enjoy what we did. My son, I tried what my mum did and he actually was reading many novels but that stopped as he grew older. I am very sad to see he does not read so much. He spends a lot of time on visual novels. He plays MMORPGs and he also has a channel where he plays old 2d games and actually has followers watching him play emulated games.

I cannot fathom the younger generation or I should in my case say 'generations'.

Good article and well written. It is a joy to read articles written by people who articulate their views so well.

I believe they read a lot less. I'm also fairly old (55) and devoured books when I was a kid and through most of my adult life. Hell, I was such a weird book nerd I had a brief period where I shoplifted books from stores and stole them from the school library. I still have the Lord of the Rings books I swiped from my high school library.

It was the same with my son, I tried to get him to read but he gravitated towards video games. Of course that was also my focus so it's not too surprising.

Most of the people I work with are younger than me (anywhere from 19 to upper 30's) and none of them read books but two or three like audio books. The two guys that are my age hate computers, which shows the divide that was normal for people of our age.
    Red_Thomas
  • blamo2000blamo2000 Member RarePosts: 1,130

Great read mate! Just an observation, I think it is amazing to see the love old school MMOs are getting these days from younger audiences. I regularly see people in their early 20s streaming OSR and Classic WoW.

I kind of wish that we could get a modern game that mimics some of the older design with a mix of modern ideas and graphics. Hopefully one of these indie MMOs will be able to fill that void.

I have never heard of OSR. I searched and can't find it either. What game is it?
  • blamo2000blamo2000 Member RarePosts: 1,130

Amathe said:

Great article.

I think one difference between young gamers and old(er) ones is that young gamers are less likely to come here. They are off playing whatever, and, like their music, it's often stuff I have never heard about.

We have to be careful we don't forget that this website is a bit of an echo chamber where we oldsters talk amongst ourselves. You never see anyone say "Well I am 12 and me and my friends play _____" 

If one of us comes across a game that has an undesirable feature, we come here and discuss it. I think younger gamers are much less wedded to the games they play, and if they encounter some aggravation they just shrug it off or move on.

I think the big difference between the young and older people is older people have specific tastes and preferences. When I was a kid I played all types of games, pretty much any game I could get my hands-on. Now if a game doesn't have x, y, and z I am not interested. The same with shows, books, etc.
    Hluill
  • Red_ThomasRed_Thomas Member RarePosts: 666
    Scot said:
    These sort of articles need highlighting in the Articles List (mostly they seem to be called editorials) below the slideshow, this is not about what's new in the cash shop or a new DLC.

I do realise they are on the slide show as well, but a highlighted colour box or the like would bring more players to the articles that take on MMO issues.

Insightful take on those rose tinted spectacles we are supposed to have but I do not agree with this:

"The good news is that I think this suggests the market will change over the next five to ten years, or so. As these younger gamers grow older and start looking for more complex games, the studios, flush with new talent that’s itching to build the same kinds of games, will shift towards a more balanced approach to development."

The gaming market is teen even pre-teen facing, there are always going to be new pre-teens coming along, so that demographic direction is not going to change. Teens getting older have the disadvantage of not even knowing that games can be harder or more thoughtful. They will expect more of the same, and if they expect something more thoughtful they will be seen as a rump of players which needs expectation management...just like us.

I think that was true a couple decades ago, but it's not true now.  Those of us who grew up during the gaming revolution are in our 40s, now.   We're going to keep getting older, and that mass of young gamers behind us will age into their 30s.  Yeah, we'll see new young gamers taking their place, and there's always going to be a market for the younger audience.  The difference between then and now, is that as that initial surge ages and they work their way out of their 20s, all those folks are going to go through the same evolution we all did.

I don't like the games I like now because some older gamers introduced me.  There are no older gamers, or not many.  Those games were a natural evolution due to market demand.  So you'll end up with the existing market (us) getting larger over time as the Millennials age into it.  They may even come faster because we're here to introduce them to the games, and those games already exist where in our case, they had to be created.

Kid games aren't going away.  I think things'll just stabilize and you'll have a more consistent spread in the semi-near future.
  • Red_ThomasRed_Thomas Member RarePosts: 666
    kitarad said:

That could be part of it.  I asked one of my nieces what kinds of books she liked the other day and got a blank stare.  lol  Though, I think reading is pretty uncommon in most generations.   Fact is, most folks just don't enjoy it.  Seems strange to me too, because I couldn't imagine a day where I don't read for at least an hour or so before bed.   I don't think kids are doing that at the same rate that we did at that age, but I also just don't think it's as common in our generation as it may seem.

What most of us fail to realize is that we tend to flock around like-minded folks, so readers will find themselves in clusters of other readers.   That gives a false impression of what normal is, and there's a fun intelligence experiment you can run to prove the point.

Think about really really dumb people.   Folks that are just so stupid that you're amazed they can even breath.   Then think about incredibly intelligent people.   The sort who just seem to have an amazing grasp of everything and are just as equally amazing, but along the opposite end of the spectrum, as those amazingly dumb people.   Now, do you know more of the dumb people or the smart people.  Chances are pretty good that  you'll know way more dumb people than you know smart people.  That's not because there are more, it's because your sense of middle is wrong.   You're above the curve and socialize above the curve, so you've learned that normal is one thing, but in reality, normal is several IQ points lower.

That little experiment seems trivial, but it's incredibly enlightening.   Completely changed my outlook on a lot of things.
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    Hardware innovation has slowed down as hardware became good enough.  The NES seriously restricted what games could do, as it wasn't powerful enough to handle a lot of things that you'd like to do.  Among other things, it had 2 KB of RAM--and was still a lot more powerful than some of the earlier consoles.

But increasing performance over subsequent generations of hardware removed a lot of restrictions on developers.  Today, only the most complex of simulations will leave developers chafing that the hardware just can't handle what they need.  Hardware is so powerful that it has become common for programmers to just get code to work right without caring about performance, then only go back and fix it later if something they did sloppily causes performance problems.

Once hardware is good enough, making it faster still doesn't gain you much.  Keyboards were good enough decades ago.  Mice became good enough with the move to optical.  Discrete sound cards have nearly vanished, and nearly everyone uses onboard sound these days.

The last holdouts of hardware that isn't uniformly good enough (at least if you avoid low-end garbage) are CPUs, GPUs, RAM, SSDs, and monitors.  And vendors of all of those are terrified of the day that it is good enough that hardly anyone needs to upgrade anymore.

And you could argue that for consumer uses, about the only reasons why today's $100 CPU and 8 GB of RAM probably won't be good enough a decade from now is sloppy developers.  Even SATA SSDs are plenty fast enough for consumer use, and it's really just a question of how much it costs for the capacity you need.  About the only things that GPUs aren't good enough for are ray-tracing and inefficient code.  And other than for VR (which could use considerable further improvements), you can get monitors today that are really nice; most people just don't have them due to the cost.

So for the most part, the hardware is there, and all that's missing is for developers to put it to good use.  If you're a fan of VR, ray-tracing, or game streaming, you might argue that the hardware isn't there yet.  But everything else except for ray-tracing and everyone having nice monitors is going to be ready to go before we have enough Internet bandwidth for game streaming to be viable outside of some narrow niches, which will make game streaming nearly obsolete before it arrives.
    MendelTuor7
    edited February 2020
    kitarad said:

I don't consider an audio book reading, it takes more effort to read than watch or listen, but effort of any sort even if it exercises the mind is for yesteryear. You have hit on one of the reasons this has occurred, we had no choice. There were few audio books, the volume of TV for kids and teens was much less than compared to today. Indeed film directors point to Star Wars as the beginning of the refacing of the film market to teenagers. Before then you did not get films made for 12 to 18 year olds. You had adult films and kids films. Since then the teen market has taken over film, music, gaming as the market to cater for. Even the theatre which is not exactly something teens bother with much has had to give them a nod. We used to have adult plays and pantomimes, nothing like Starlight Express existed. And this all happened before social media took off.

So kids and teens have little reason to want to read and do not associate it with exploring new worlds, fascinating detectives, 'to the wire' thrillers and so on as we do. They associate reading with school and as they enter later life work. So I see little hope for reading in the long run, why am I not speaking this post and hearing the others? Even though reading is quicker in twenty years time I am not sure we will be typing on here.

• GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,791
    This all leaves out the "Boomer" generation of which I and many others are a part. By a part, I mean those of my generation that have for years BEFORE many here were enjoying video gaming of all ilks. This included but was not exclusive to MUDS and other online games that were played via old style land phone lines. So think that because we played these games in the 1980's that we don't play them in the 2000's and beyond. We do. I play often between 6 and 8 hours a day, mostly because I am now retired and have the time. I enjoy most of the the games out there as much today as I did back then if not more so. To say there have been changes in games and expectations from games is really an understatement. It showed be celebrated how things have changed and it should continue. I think, and maybe other could confirm it, that your generation is not as important to how you enjoy games or approach games. It is how well the game plays and how much fun you have.

Let's party like it is 1863!

• ultimateduckultimateduck Member EpicPosts: 1,269
    A very relatable article. There's a joke we used when I was an Iron Worker, but it can apply to just about everything..

Q: How many Iron Workers does it take to screw in a light bulb?

A: Four. A young guy with a good back to do the work and three old guys telling him how hard it was back in the day.

I think you can apply that to MMOs as well.
    Red_ThomasHluillblamo2000
  • nate1980nate1980 Member UncommonPosts: 2,063
    This article hit home for me. I started playing MMO's with DAoC in 2002 at the age of 22. I'm now 39 and it seems like I'm being forced out of this world by the younger generations. When I started playing, people would get along, grind mobs for hours and chat along the way. Rudeness wasn't a common theme, whereas teamwork and helping others was. Now you don't even mention how rude people are without getting told it's normal and get over it.

Then come the focus. Take WoW for example. Races used to come with expansion and dailies were optional. Now you are required to grind dailies for character progression and to unlock new races. Say a word about it, and people look at you like you're crazy. Like wasting you life grinding dailies is acceptable.

Then there's political agenda's and activists everywhere, whereas before people would leave that crap out of the games.

Sure, we change as we get older, but the generations truly are just different. I don't think in a good way either, but I'm sure my parents and grandparents would say the same about my generation too. Suffice it to say, my tastes in MMO's hasn't changed much at all. The amount of time I'm willing to dedicate to them has though.
    ultimateduckScotTuor7