Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Gamers are ditching Radeon graphics cards over driver issues (Specifically Navi)

13»

Comments

• gardotd426gardotd426 Newbie CommonPosts: 2
    Between 2010 and now I've only had 3 GPUs, two Nvidia and one AMD. I've had less driver issues with that AMD card in those 10 years. With that said, I'm considering getting another Nvidia card just because they have official Linux drivers. If I'm not mistaken, new Ubuntu distributions don't have official AMD drivers anymore.

EDIT: also, my GTX970 fried last October. I'm afraid of getting an AMD card now since they get much hotter.
    For the love of god, you're so badly incorrect it hurts. 

AMD not only offers native Linux drivers, they're open-source and literally built-in to the Linux kernel. 

The "new Ubuntu distributions don't have 'official' AMD drivers anymore" is (also wrong, they support new versions of Ubuntu as well, but) from your confusion over the AMDGPU-PRO PROPRIETARY drivers that perform like absolute ass, and no one uses. The regular open-source AMD drivers ARE official, they're developed by AMD, and they are again, included into the kernel. 
  • gardotd426gardotd426 Newbie CommonPosts: 2
    Quizzical said:
    Between 2010 and now I've only had 3 GPUs, two Nvidia and one AMD. I've had less driver issues with that AMD card in those 10 years. With that said, I'm considering getting another Nvidia card just because they have official Linux drivers. If I'm not mistaken, new Ubuntu distributions don't have official AMD drivers anymore.

EDIT: also, my GTX970 fried last October. I'm afraid of getting an AMD card now since they get much hotter.
    AMD offers official drivers for the latest LTS version of Ubuntu.  If your plan is to stay on the latest LTS version and only upgrade to a new version of that every two years, then AMD offers official drivers for you.  Nvidia says they offer "Linux x64" drivers, but doesn't specify which distributions are supported, so I'm not sure if they do the same thing as AMD or something different.

AMD's Navi cards are comparable on energy efficiency to Nvidia's Turing cards.  It's the older Polaris and Vega cards that were inefficient.  Keeping temperatures at appropriate levels is the responsibility of the board partner, and there's no real reason to believe that AMD cards would tend to be worse (or better) than Nvidia t this.
    No. You're wrong. 

You're talking about the AMDGPU-PRO PROPRIETARY drivers. No one uses those (especially for gaming) because they perform like ass in OpenGL and are a mess to install (and only work on a few distros).

However AMD officially provides an open-source Linux kernel driver that's literally built into the kernel, and it's developed by AMD, and again, it's open-source. That's what everyone uses, and it's in literally every distribution because AGAIN, IT'S BUILT-IN TO THE KERNEL. YOU LITERALLY CAN'T RUN LINUX WITHOUT HAVING OFFICIAL AMD GPU DRIVERS.