Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

AMD Ryzen R9 3950X Review: 16 Cores, 32 Threads of Power - MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited February 2020 in News & Features Discussion

imageAMD Ryzen R9 3950X Review: 16 Cores, 32 Threads of Power - MMORPG.com

It’s been a long wait, but today is an exciting day for those of us here at MMORPG.com. Today, we get to bring you our review of the AMD Ryzen R9 3950X. Featuring an incredible 16-cores and 32-threads of processing power with a boost speed all the way up to 4.7GHz, this CPU has “prosumer” written all over it. Coming to market at a comparatively cheap $749, is this the right CPU for you? We have the answer and this is our review.

Read the full story here

Comments

• olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,829
    edited February 2020
    "AMD ‘Zen 4’ 5nm Products Will Launch In 2021, 5nm Yield Has Already Crossed 7nm" -- WCCFTECH

https://wccftech.com/amd-zen-4-5-nm-launching-2021/ AMD is already shipping 7nm parts that were designed last year. If this rumor is true, then AMD is already working on 5nm and next year we will see a dramatic increase in speed and decrease in power consumption.

------------
    2024: 47 years on the Net.

• PartieplayinPartieplayin Member UncommonPosts: 93
    edited February 2020
    Next year I may be looking at upgrading from my aging 5820k/1080ti setup however still a very capable machine by 2021 things are going to get interesting with zen4 and new gpu's coming this year 2021 seems like the right time. By that time i should be expecting nearly double the performance at about the same price point I built my current machine .
    [Deleted User]
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355

olepi said:

"AMD ‘Zen 4’ 5nm Products Will Launch In 2021, 5nm Yield Has Already Crossed 7nm" -- WCCFTECH

https://wccftech.com/amd-zen-4-5-nm-launching-2021/

AMD is already shipping 7nm parts that were designed last year. If this rumor is true, then AMD is already working on 5nm and next year we will see a dramatic increase in speed and decrease in power consumption.

There are so many things wrong with that article that the headline really should be "WCCFtech runs clickbait articles without caring whether they're true."
    Folmen
    OG_Zorvan said:
    However, if you're a GAMER who's most important priority is PLAYING GAMES, Intel is still the way to go.
    On a very large budget, such as you'd need for the 3950X to be an option, yes.  On smaller budgets where you'd have to get something with a much lower clock speed to go Intel, no.
    [Deleted User]
    OG_Zorvan said:
    Quizzical said:
    OG_Zorvan said:
    However, if you're a GAMER who's most important priority is PLAYING GAMES, Intel is still the way to go.
    On a very large budget, such as you'd need for the 3950X to be an option, yes.  On smaller budgets where you'd have to get something with a much lower clock speed to go Intel, no.
    Stop disillusioning me. I just barely defected from Team Green for GPU's, don't take my lifelong relationship with Intel from me this quickly afterwards.
    If you really want to be brand-loyal without making a dumb purchase, sometimes it works to just decide that you don't need to upgrade for a few years while your preferred brand is behind, then immediately decide it's time for new hardware as soon as they get ahead.
  • xpsyncxpsync Member EpicPosts: 1,854
    Quizzical said:
    OG_Zorvan said:
    Quizzical said:
    OG_Zorvan said:
    Stop disillusioning me. I just barely defected from Team Green for GPU's, don't take my lifelong relationship with Intel from me this quickly afterwards.
    If you really want to be brand-loyal without making a dumb purchase, sometimes it works to just decide that you don't need to upgrade for a few years while your preferred brand is behind, then immediately decide it's time for new hardware as soon as they get ahead.

Still running 1080p here on 27" and my 970 still feels op af.
    My faith is my shield! - Turalyon 2022

Your legend ends here and now! - (Battles Won Long Ago)

Currently Playing; Dragonflight and SWG:L
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    Quizzical said:
    OG_Zorvan said:
    Quizzical said:
    OG_Zorvan said:
    I disagree. Buying upgrade at wrong time because of brand loyalty is dump purchase. Even if you're brand loyal, it's better to upgrade when you need it.

• olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,829

Quizzical said:

olepi said:

AMD is already shipping 7nm parts that were designed last year. If this rumor is true, then AMD is already working on 5nm and next year we will see a dramatic increase in speed and decrease in power consumption.

There are so many things wrong with that article that the headline really should be "WCCFtech runs clickbait articles without caring whether they're true."

So you don't think AMD is working on 5nm Ryzen parts?

------------
    2024: 47 years on the Net.

• ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 2,193
    olepi said:

Quizzical said:

olepi said:

Can’t speak for quiz, but we’ll know when we know. You can’t trust every news article and if something doesn’t smell right or hasn’t been confirmed then it’s best to remain skeptical, even if optimistic. 
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    olepi said:

Quizzical said:

olepi said:

It's more that wccftech.com is ready to run news on any rumor. They don't care whether the rumor is true, as long as it's not proven false they're happy to make news out of it and get more clicks.

olepi said:

Quizzical said:

olepi said:

There are too many things in the article that, while I don't know for an absolute fact that they're untrue, are extremely implausible.

For starters, there's really no way that 5 nm would already have better yields than 7 nm in any meaningful sense.  It's certainly plausible that testing is going well.  Unless they're comparing 5 nm testing results to analogous testing results on 7 nm from two years ago, it's hard to imagine how such a comparison could even be meaningful.  Yields on a tiny test die as a percentage of chips that worked but not necessarily at a good frequency or voltage is not at all similar to the percentage of much larger dies that meet your binning requirements in a commercial product.  It sounds like someone is trying to compare yields on TSMC's ~18 mm^2 test part to something like AMD's 7 nm chips that are an order of magnitude larger and have to meet particular frequency and voltage requirements.

AMD has announced that Zen 3 parts will be on "7+ nm", or TSMC's 7 nm EUV process node.  AMD's CEO has announced that we'll see Zen 3 this year.  This hasn't officially been announced, but considering that they're still in the process of launching 7 nm parts, a launch on 7+ surely isn't imminent.  I'd expect to see Zen 3 late this year, though closer to the middle of the year is also plausible.  What's not plausible is that that will happen and then be followed by a Zen 4 launch on 5 nm in early 2021.  Late 2021, sure, but the article explicitly says, "AMD's 5nm products will be landing in early 2021".  I could believe a tape-out at that time, but not a launch.

The article says that the reason Nvidia hasn't moved to 7 nm yet is because of yield issues.  That's very unlikely.  Process nodes are chosen years in advance, long before you understand how good the yields are.  Even the awful yields of Fermi didn't prevent Nvidia from launching products--and constantly telling anyone who would listen how awesome Fermi would be while it was delayed.  What's far more likely is that 7 nm wasn't going to be ready by the time they wanted to launch Turing, and they didn't want to go through all of the expense to move Turing to 7 nm rather than skipping it and moving on to 7+ so that they could get GPUs out on 7+ sooner.  It's not like Nvidia is in a terrible position with their GPUs today and desperately needs to catch up.

The article also pretty severely misinterprets TSMC's comments about clock speeds.  For example, check here:

https://images.anandtech.com/doci/15219/wikichip_tsmc_logic_node_q2_2019.png

TSMC's official approximation of how 5 nm compares to 7 nm is that you'll be able to get either 15% more performance in the same power envelope or get the same performance as before while using 30% less power.  Those numbers are geared toward situations where you're tightly constrained on power, and with the assumption that the same performance as before at 30% less power will be an interesting option for a lot of customers.  That really isn't a good description of desktop CPUs that clock in the 4-5 GHz range.

How high a process node can reasonably clock varies tremendously with the design, and it's not at all the case that you could just move an arbitrary design built for 7 nm to 5 nm and get a 15% clock speed, which is what WCCFtech claims.  That's why AMD's CPUs on 7 nm can clock above 4 GHz, and their GPUs generally don't reach 2 GHz apart from extreme overclocking.  Or look at TSMC's guidance on the previous big jump:  7 nm would offer 40% more performance than 16 nm at the same power.  For 4 W cell phone chips, that's a decent enough approximation.  But we didn't see top end CPU clock speeds jump by 40% in the last two years, and it's not just because AMD used GlobalFoundries rather than TSMC for their Zen 1 and Zen 2 CPUs.
    [Deleted User]
  • Veiled_lightVeiled_light Member UncommonPosts: 855
    I just bought the 3900x, but tbh I don't notice any difference over my 6770K and 4770K PCs..... a CPU is a CPU, the GPU is what really matters for gaming.