Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

AMD's One Two Punch

Mars_OMGMars_OMG Member EpicPosts: 2,850
With the release of Threadripper 3990x, last gen Rippers are at an extremely affordable price under $500. 
 Right as I write this, you can grab last gen Ripper 12 core 24 thread Ripper at $279.00 on newegg. 

https://www.newegg.com/amd-ryzen-threadripper-1920x/p/N82E16819113448

Intel is in serious trouble with this shift in pricing, which makes Intels entire line of processors irrelevant in the year 2020.
- abandoning social media could possibly save the world.  

MikehaGdemamiXodicGorwe

Comments

• ragebulletragebullet Member UncommonPosts: 52
    I saw it was overclocked to 5.5ghz that's insanity
    Gorwe
  • Mars_OMGMars_OMG Member EpicPosts: 2,850
    edited February 10
    I saw it was overclocked to 5.5ghz that's insanity
    indeed my friend, indeed #xD 
    <3 Dr. Su   

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,097
    Or you can get a 9600k for $20 less. Only reason for 1920x is if you actually need serious multithreading.
    Ozmodan
    Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• jayheld90jayheld90 Member UncommonPosts: 1,717
    edited February 10
    So what you are saying is that I should get one of those threadrippers, rather than the 3700x I was going to get?

(because if i look at benchmarks, that doesn't seem to be the case)
    jayheld90 said:
    So what you are saying is that I should get one of those threadrippers, rather than the 3700x I was going to get?

Do some research imho. if you are mix media creator and can afford the a mobo , psu , ddr 4ram and a 4.0 pci-e compliant graphics, a thread ripper might be the better bargain .  you will also need a threadsripper compliant cooler too. 

The other thing, socket, if you want maybe some growth late ron a AM4 socket might be the better choice. 

skeaser said:
    Or you can get a 9600k for $20 less. Only reason for 1920x is if you actually need serious multithreading.
    that made me laugh today, thank you.
    Asm0deusOzmodan

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,105
    jayheld90 said:

You are correct. No, you wouldn't just get a TR rather than a Ryzen.

If you are building a workstation - maybe. And then, just maybe, as there are few cases where quad channel RAM and the additional IO that you get on X399 motherboard end up being worth while, but it's very specific.

You may save on the CPU, but you still have the buy the motherboard, and that will eat into any savings versus a Ryzen-based system. Also factor in that you won't be able to slot in an upgrade CPU, as AMD is moving past X399 and to XR40/80 for the new generation.

If you are building a general purpose computer, and especially if your focus is gaming, it will be overall better to go Ryzen. You can get same core count, on the newer Zen 2 process, with PCI 4.0, with a motherboard that will likely still support a Zen 3 drop in. With this sale Ryzen might cost a little bit more than a last gen TR, but it won't be a lot more... 

If you want a killer deal, if you own a Gen 1 TR, upgrading it to a Zen+ TR right now is an awesome deal. But I wouldn't build a new rig around a Zen+ TR right now, unless I has a special need where TR would be superior to a Zen2 Ryzen-based rig, and for some reason didn't have the cash to get up to the Zen2-based TR system.
    Mars_OMGPalebane
    edited February 10
    Gorwe said:
    xD_Gaming said:
    With the release of Threadripper 3990x, last gen Rippers are at an extremely affordable price under $500. 
     Right as I write this, you can grab last gen Ripper 12 core 24 thread Ripper at $279.00 on newegg. 

https://www.newegg.com/amd-ryzen-threadripper-1920x/p/N82E16819113448

Intel is in serious trouble with this shift in pricing, which makes Intels entire line of processors irrelevant in the year 2020.
    Jesus! Sub 300$ Threadripper! If only I had such an offer where I live!

That's a purchase and a half, get it if you can!
    that chip was about 800dollars at launch. This is about 75% off right now, it complete insanity !  Everything must  gogogo

how he making a 360 look like a 720 is epyc in itself #xD 

Can we all at least agree, this is a big hit on intel , on many different sides, pc media market, server market and enthusiast market. a xeon 24 core chip is $18k . it is crazy time for the pc market again and it is awesome ! 

• ChromeBallzChromeBallz Member UncommonPosts: 342
    A 1920X needs a TR4 mobo. Even the cheapest ones are fairly expensive (depending on where you live). You're also stuck on a dead platform, and first/second gen threadrippers are *absolutely fucking horrible* when it comes to gaming performance. When it comes to games, even a 3600 (6c12t) will outperform a 1920X by about 30 to 50% due to the increased IPC of Zen 2 compared to Zen, and use much more power to boot (180w vs 65w).

I wouldn't bother with first gen threadripper for anything currently. It's just not worth it, even if it drops further in price.
    Mars_OMGOzmodan[Deleted User]

Playing: WF
    Played: WoW, GW2, L2, WAR, AoC, DnL (2005), GW, LotRO, EQ2, TOR, CoH (RIP), STO, TSW, TERA, EVE, ESO, BDO
    Tried: EQ, UO, AO, EnB, TCoS, Fury, Ryzom, EU, DDO, TR, RF, CO, Aion, VG, DN, Vindictus, AA

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 22,381
    They're just trying to get rid of obsolete inventory.  Even at that price, it still doesn't make much sense for most people.  With how much the motherboards and coolers for Threadripper cost, you'll probably end up spending more than for a Ryzen 7 3800X system.  The latter will offer superior performance in nearly everything, including highly threaded applications, unless memory bandwidth is the bottleneck.  And even if you do need a ton of cores for something, the Ryzen 9 3900X and 3950X will blow first gen Threadripper out of the water.
    Mars_OMG[Deleted User]Ozmodan
  • jayheld90jayheld90 Member UncommonPosts: 1,717
    Ok, so I would basically need to buy a whole new system to just use it... i see...I'll stick with the 3700x as i don't have to change anything else.
    Mars_OMGGorwe
    jayheld90 said:
    Ok, so I would basically need to buy a whole new system to just use it... i see...I'll stick with the 3700x as i don't have to change anything else.
    probably the better choice and semi future proof with AM4 socket :) 

Also noted, AMd may be takingover cpu production from intel for Apple #cliffhanger 

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 22,381
    xD_Gaming said:
    Also noted, AMd may be takingover cpu production from intel for Apple #cliffhanger 
    It's possible that the next generation MacBooks will use the mobile Ryzen 4000 series.  It's also possible that it will use neither AMD nor Intel but jump to ARM cores designed by Apple, like the iPhone and iPad use.
    Palebane
    Quizzical said:
    xD_Gaming said:
    It's possible that the next generation MacBooks will use the mobile Ryzen 4000 series.  It's also possible that it will use neither AMD nor Intel but jump to ARM cores designed by Apple, like the iPhone and iPad use.
    rumor right now, as AMD hit an all time high on the nasdaq

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,105
    xD_Gaming said:
    I was going to put in a snide comment about how many computers Apple actually sells.. but they are the 4th largest computer manufacturer world-wide, so it's actually a decent number of chips they are selling (20M/yr +/-), even if it's just a small portion of the overall PC marketshare.
    Mars_OMGOzmodanPalebane
    edited February 11
    Ridelynn said:
    xD_Gaming said:
    I was going to put in a snide comment about how many computers Apple actually sells.. but they are the 4th largest computer manufacturer world-wide, so it's actually a decent number of chips they are selling (20M/yr +/-), even if it's just a small portion of the overall PC marketshare.
    got look at the price of the elite league apples as well, with current intel xeon models selling at 54k , changing to AMD will bring that price way way down imho 

Shoot, they are already using dual vega pro's 
    58k = 
    https://www.adorama.com/acm3g0.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_9v5pMTI5wIVkpOzCh2hIQiHEAQYASABEgLrMPD_BwE

If intel loses this contract, no one is going to buy xeon at 10k price point for mass production models like Apple did. you would see almost a 30% drop on 1 day in Intel stock if AMD takes the Apple Bid.

As this starts to play out, you will see investor media beg to the high heaven so it doesn't happen because Intel is a major player in many portfolios for the last 4 decades.

• ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 1,942
    I want to run 2 systems in one. Linux based with Windows and macOS on kvm. I can’t wait to get some money. lol. 
    Mars_OMG
    "Wake up, It's RNG, there is no such thing as 'rare'"
    - Ungood
    cool video, it has good insight on what threadripper is for :

• VrikaVrika Member EpicPosts: 6,608
    jayheld90 said:

A normal computer user should never get threadripper. They are good CPUs for people who do specialized stuff that scales to multiple threads better than your average games or office programs, for example if you do 3D modeling or video editing.
    OzmodanMars_OMGGorwe

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    xD_Gaming said:
    Ridelynn said:
    xD_Gaming said:
    got look at the price of the elite league apples as well, with current intel xeon models selling at 54k , changing to AMD will bring that price way way down imho 

Shoot, they are already using dual vega pro's 
    58k = 
    https://www.adorama.com/acm3g0.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_9v5pMTI5wIVkpOzCh2hIQiHEAQYASABEgLrMPD_BwE

If intel loses this contract, no one is going to buy xeon at 10k price point for mass production models like Apple did. you would see almost a 30% drop on 1 day in Intel stock if AMD takes the Apple Bid.

As this starts to play out, you will see investor media beg to the high heaven so it doesn't happen because Intel is a major player in many portfolios for the last 4 decades.
    So ....... if Apple change supplier Intel will suffer a c. $85 billion loss in market capitalisation? Just to be clear that is a "b" and not a mistype. 

Maybe you should reduce your expectations to avoid "certain" disappointment? 

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    We have threadripper workstations at work, they are really not good gaming platforms.  

An AMD 3000 serious CPU would be a much better choice for a gamer.  Personally I am waiting for Gen 3 AMD coming out this summer.  As to Intel, they are still a good gaming computer choice, but still no PCIE 4.0 which means upgrading peripherals that use that standard is not happening on any Intel system you buy.  A friend has a sample SSD he is testing that uses PCIE 4.0 and it is amazing loading games.
    edited February 11
    Socket wise, 1st and second gen threadrippers use STR4 socket, the Gen 3 Threasdrippers used the STRX4

So then I look at this : https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/amd_ryzen_threadripper_3990x_review,21.html

See the 3960x Firestrike performance which is comparable to the heaviest game loads

Then travel to here :

https://www.newegg.com/amd-ryzen-threadripper-3960x/p/N82E16819113619?Description=threadripper%203960x&cm_re=threadripper_3960x-_-19-113-619-_-Product&quicklink=true

Look at the price, $1400 check intel's top cpu in the same firestrike graph most like going to be around 3k 

Read that the str4x will be upward compatible

Use some media sites to look at trends in stocks, AMD is up again today,

Analysis :  If AMD continues oon this path and secures the Apple bid, Intel which as of right now intel is priced completely out of the market with Threadripper 3990x , intel will drop like a rock in the ocean. Maybe intel gpu sector will get off the ground but how many times it hasn't; maybe intel will release a better chip, but at what price point. Intel has spent 4 decades at the top, with overpricing their products, Right now , AMD has laid out a gauntlet of products that are becoming so successful that I can see Intel thinking of buying nvida or vice versa. #analysis

Just for the record, I've been right on AMD since it was 2 dollars a share.