Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The No 1 PC MMORPG

Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
i just saw 3 different game advertisements claiming this title on the frontpage of MMORPG.com

really?

so i guess its neither of them?
and how do you meassure succes?

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Comments

• MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,362
    I measure it in Twinkies.
    Lord.BachusKyleranSovrathAdamantineAlBQuirky[Deleted User]rojoArcueidnewbismx
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    If I am the investor, developer or publisher,  does it make me a boat load of money, preferably without breaking any laws.

:D 
    AlBQuirkyKidRiskBlaze_Rocker

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    Well there is commercial success and then there is intrinsic success.

What generates most money is not always best game. 

And what is the best game doesnt always come with commercial success.

AdamantineGdemamiAlBQuirkycameltosisBlaze_Rocker
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    Margrave said:
    I saw a twinkie cereal at the store yesterday.
    KyleranultimateduckAlBQuirky[Deleted User]Blaze_Rocker
  • AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085
    To me, still Vanguard: Saga of Heroes (R.I.P.)

I still miss it :(
    SovrathAlBQuirkyFirstKnight117
  • ultimateduckultimateduck Member EpicPosts: 1,269
    Success is a solid player base over an extended period of time.

Games today are temporary, whether it be a MMO or straight RPG. You play them for a month or two and move on. There's no staying power.

If you can get people to buy your game and pay a sub or buy the DLC and/or use the cash shop for a year or two, you win.

If you can buy a game and enjoy it enough to pay a sub for a year or two or buy the DLC and/or use the cash shop, you win.

AlBQuirkyBlaze_Rocker
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Doesn't it also depends on region?

so the advert says Black Desert is the #1 mmorpg. That "could" be true in the east. Here it could still be World of Warcraft though Elder Scrolls Online might be giving it a run for its money.

AlBQuirky[Deleted User]Kyleran
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    Some are the best only on Mondays and Wednesdays. Others are the best on Thursdays and Saturdays. The lucky ones are best on Sundays, Tuesdays and Fridays :lol:

There are so many comparatives, that anyone can claim almost anything as "Best":
    Most Players
    Most Money
    Most Players Online
    Most Accounts
    Most Box Sales

Then break these down into areas of the world.
    ultimateducknewbismxRidelynnUngood

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    I measure by how much I became immersed in the game.

AlBQuirkyBlaze_Rocker

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

Nyctelios said:
    I measure it by it's quality (according to me, of course) and the quality of it's elements.

For me the number one is FF14: ARR.
    I can willfully ignore quality so for me FO76 has been the "best" game for me lately.

;)
    Amatheultimateduck[Deleted User]AlBQuirky

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    Because there is no metric that they are basing it off of, it isn't a definitive statement. So I could be the #1 MMORPG as well. 
    maskedweaselAlBQuirky
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Margrave said:

The best part is, you can still be measuring it 1,000 years from now.
    UngoodultimateduckKyleran[Deleted User]AlBQuirky

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530
    i just saw 3 different game advertisements claiming this title on the frontpage of MMORPG.com

really?

so i guess its neither of them?
    and how do you meassure succes?
    Typically they have to back this up in some way. 

Now, this could simply be "voted #1 MMORPG on Bobs Best MMO's Site" or something like "Hiveleaders Top 10"

It could varying years on the same site, like 2018 #1 game, 2019 #1, 2020 #1 game, and all of them get to claim to be the #1 game.

It could under a direct category, like Graphics or Sound. Like Voted PAX-East #1 Game of the year, for Graphics.

All of these would be legit, but, often they need to have something to back up that claim.
    ultimateduckAlBQuirky
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    For now or always? 

Always will be for me Everquest and for now FFXIV ARR.
    AlBQuirky
    Chamber of Chains
    OP is asking what parameters are multiple MMORPG's using to claim they are "Number 1" or "Top MMO". He's not asking your favorite PC game of all time boys.
  • ultimateduckultimateduck Member EpicPosts: 1,269
    Utinni said:
    OP is asking what parameters are multiple MMORPG's using to claim they are "Number 1" or "Top MMO". He's not asking your favorite PC game of all time boys.

He did ask "how would you measure success". To some, that may simply be a game.
    Gdemami
    Utinni said:

When someone responds to that question with "FO76" then you know the thread has derailed.
    ultimateduckKyleran
  • NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
    edited February 2020
    Easy.

Because some boomer in charge of marketing approved this. They're still stuck in the pre-internet days of advertising.

"#1 Best seller!"

"Supplies are limited and going fast!"

"Act Now!"

Or my favorite, "Going out of business furniture sale (they just change the business name a week later and never really "go out of business")"

They are targeting the same people that buy Lifelock, Norton, and <insert random, cheap VPN service of the week>. Shop at Wal-Mart, pays for cable TV, etc etc. Those people.

The problem with that way of marketing is, the rest of us, actually look it up if the claim is true in seconds.
    GdemamiKyleran
    To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • GutlardGutlard Member RarePosts: 1,019
    I've tried BDO 3 times, and just couldn't get into it...

Good for them though, just not on my PC.

I would measure success by happiness, so in games, how happy does the game make me? How much am I enjoying it? Do I have that giddy feeling every chance I get some spare time to log in? Do I get excited just thinking about logging in and experiencing it?

I haven't for any game in a while I'm sad to say.

@Arterius I have Stormlight Archive #4 pre-ordered on Audible for 11/17/20; seems like forever.

Gut Out!
    Gdemami

What, me worry?

Utinni said:
    Utinni said:

When someone responds to that question with "FO76" then you know the thread has derailed.
    Hey, one straight answer per thread, everything after is expected to be taken less seriously. 

:p

AmatheAlBQuirky

• DunmerSwitDunmerSwit Newbie CommonPosts: 9
    edited February 2020
    I would propose as a metric the nostalgia it leaves in those who played it. The mmorpg's that were best still haunt those who played them. Very strong impressions of moments still remain with me from my favorite mmorpgs. I suppose nostalgia would be hard to quantify, but you certainly could if you really wanted to. Guess that only works with past mmos, but I don't really regard contemporary mmos as worthy.
    KyleranAlBQuirky
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    Well the gaming industry does have several more or less standard metrics they use

Daily/Monthly Active Users (or subscriptions) is a popular one. New users, engagement, churn, daily revenue per active user, user acquisition cost, etc etc.

the rise of F2P has really turned a lot of these metrics into a science of data mining. If you want to know why your favorite game shuts down, the answer is almost always going to be in these metrics.

Subs/Population or Revenue are what most go
    by but companies don’t like to disclose that figure publicly and the figures we see are usually implied based on XX MAUs x Sub Price, or divined from public Quarterly SEC filings.
    KyleranCryomatrixAlBQuirky
  • GutlardGutlard Member RarePosts: 1,019
    Arterius said:
    Gutlard said:
    I've tried BDO 3 times, and just couldn't get into it...

Good for them though, just not on my PC.

I would measure success by happiness, so in games, how happy does the game make me? How much am I enjoying it? Do I have that giddy feeling every chance I get some spare time to log in? Do I get excited just thinking about logging in and experiencing it?

I haven't for any game in a while I'm sad to say.

@Arterius I have Stormlight Archive #4 pre-ordered on Audible for 11/17/20; seems like forever.

Gut Out!
    Yeah I just pre-ordered mine on Amazon @Gutlard. It also has a name now, "The Rhythm of War."
    This could make a great RPG/MMORPG also...

Gut Out!
    AlBQuirky

What, me worry?