Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

CU Changing Route, New Game? AOC Method?

124

Comments

  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    edited February 2020



    PS:  Why is there no MMORPG.COM article on this?  It's one of the few actual MMORPGs in development and it just had a huge news drop...   Nadda on here.
    (Sadly) I would expect the "article" - well a brief link to the MOP article anyway - sometime next week.
    MendelKyleran
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 8,504
    BruceYee said:
    cheyane said:
    BDO is like 5 bucks , and suddenly a poster child for PvP. When most times people decry the game in every example but you're using it to prove your point. ROFL.

    Those games you listed are not pure PvP games they are supported by PvE players who hardly PvP looking at the list with a couple of exceptions like EVE. You just proved my point thanks. Camelot does not have any PvE so no PvE players who want to PvE will play it. There goes your player base that might have been higher were there any PvE in the game.

    How popular is PvP on ESO? Isn't ESO a PvE game mainly and the same with WoW. You are giving examples of games that have mainly PvE. Those games we know will work as subbed and B2P look at FFXIV. There is no question of that. But Camelot isn't like that and not even close.

    I played BDO and loved it and never even PvPed even once. What could I do in CU huh ?
    BDO charges $5 because they learned from AA that a completely ftp MMO is a death sentence. That $5 prevents the completely ftp crowd from destroying the game. Ftp moba, br, shooter is fine but anything that has progression MMO style doesn't survive as ftp. A good example right now is Albion going ftp and they just had to increase their sub price cause most of the paying players left and the majority of their playerbase is completely ftp. CU was supposed to be a PvP MMO with sub.
    I didn't know that about Albion. Isn't that a hardcore PvP game ? I did read something well I'm not so up to date  on PvP games but I thought that the player base was mad about some changes to the map. It made the PvP  next to pointless and they were too late about changing it back. It had to do with capturing territory. Sorry my memory sucks but the PvP players were angry that the changes they made made capturing pointless when before it had a reason and could lead to meaningful PvP.
    Chamber of Chains
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Quizzical said:
    Iselin said:
    One word: refunds.

    Why bitch about what they're doing if you can easily and quickly get your money back?

    I'm not aware of any other KS MMO project that makes it this simple to act on your buyers' remorse.
    Refunds are only available until they aren't.  If they run out of money, then there abruptly won't be any more refunds.


    100% true.

    However if the amount of crowdfunding is as low as last years graph implied ($4M+ and falling) I would be surprised if this amount wasn't fully covered. To avoid the negative messaging etc., maintain the positive vibe and so on.

    Assuming that they do expect to release this new game of course. Doubt that would have much of a hope if they stopped refunds.
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
      But of course, Colossus is actually going to speed up the release of CU, so his honesty stands.  


    You need to be more precise:

    If Colossus releases and if Colossus is a success and if Colossus makes any money (at all) and if investors then decide to risk further funds on CU then that might speed up the release of CU, so his honesty stands.
    Kyleran
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 15,351
    gervaise1 said:



    PS:  Why is there no MMORPG.COM article on this?  It's one of the few actual MMORPGs in development and it just had a huge news drop...   Nadda on here.
    (Sadly) I would expect the "article" - well a brief link to the MOP article anyway - sometime next week.
    At least there is an article on Dragon Quest X Japanese beta...
    I mean, even if they knew nothing about Camelot Unchained’s announcement but just read their own forums, yesterday afternoon they should have seen this thread and gone and looked.
    MightyUncleanGreatness

    All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

    "I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

    Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

    Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

    "Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 17,367
    gervaise1 said:
    Iselin said:
    One word: refunds.

    Why bitch about what they're doing if you can easily and quickly get your money back?

    <snip>

    Not that simple imo. 

    We are not talking about CU "pre-orders" though.

    For "backers", some at least, there will be an "emotional" side. Hope, dreams and all that stuff.

    Should there be? Maybe not but if "backers" were simply interested in the money side they would put it in the bank to accumulate interest and buy the game when as, when, if it comes out.

    What few backers there are that is - as I commented last year I was surprised to find that the crowdfunding total was only $4M+. I assume it hasn't gone up.



    And never, in a month of Sundays, could you describe backing CU as the "same" as making a pre-order. 







    That's precisely the problem and why I don't back any KS MMOs. I don't want that sort of relationship with the games I play or the studios that make them. I find that degree of fandom kind of creepy actually.
    gervaise1SovrathKyleran
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

    ― Umberto Eco

    “Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,147
    Splattr said:
    Ungood said:
    Ya know, I might buy into the doom and gloom, If I could not log in and play CU right now.

    But I can log into CU right now, and I can see that they are just fine tuning CU, and, well getting the final touches in, to get to an actual Beta. Like mounts for example, they are in the game, in the sense you have a run-speed mount effect, they just need put something graphically in the game.

    If they can pump out some BR game, which won't take much since they have all the other parts done, like the engine, models, animation, landscapes, etc. So basically, putting out a BR game using the existing CU frame work should be a swift and easy side project, and give people something else to piss away their time on.

    Given where things are, I don't see why anyone would be worried.
    Really, not sure why anyone would be worried? Let me spin you a tale. I remember a game called H1Z1. It was playable. Then they came out with a new game mode, a BR game. After a little bit they split the game into two pieces, with the original survival game becoming Just Survive. How's Just Survive doing now?
    Woah now.. H1Z1, was was supposed to be based off Day Z. But, in contrast to Day Z, H1Z1 never made it past the "steaming pile of shit" phase. It was not the development of the game that was the problem, it was the fact that, simply put, it was a bad game.

    Bad games failing is what bad games do.
    Hatefull
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,147
    edited February 2020
    Wait.. Fuck me.. never-mind... I got confused, I thought this was CrowFall, not Camelot Unchained.. I rescind what I said about it's current state, as I don't know shit about this game.

    I still stand by what I said about H1Z1 being a pile of crap tho.
    AethaerynHatefullmeddyck
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

  • MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    Ungood said:
    Wait.. Fuck me.. never-mind... I got confused, I thought this was CrowFall, not Camelot Unchained.. I rescind what I said about it's current state, as I don't know shit about this game.

    I still stand by what I said about H1Z1 being a pile of crap tho.
    Yeah, I was wondering what version of CU you were playing that was in a persistent and advanced state!  =)  The best part is, your first statement about it got an agree.
    gervaise1Slapshot1188[Deleted User]
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 24,442
    It's theoretically possible that adding another game brings in more funding and more developers and thus doesn't delay the original game.  That's not likely, however.  The old saying is that adding developers to a late project makes it later.  It takes a lot of time for the new people to get up to speed.
    MendelSlapshot1188Sovrathgervaise1SpottyGekko
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 30,644
    Kyleran said:


    1. I don't need guarantees, but I do expect, nay demand people keep their word which Mark clearly didn't, this being just one example.

    “The H word: honesty. I promised our backers that we wouldn’t to anything major to delay the release of the game.”

    2. As a fully certified armchair developer I looked at Mark's original promise of delivery in two years as a case of unreasonable optimism, thinking not a chance, but hey he's the industry professional,  what do I know?

    I was wrong btw, I guesstimated 4, maybe 5 years tops, this isnt a full MMORPG, but merely a subset of DAOCs RVR which was a key reason Mark said he could deliver so fast.

    Coming up on 7 years so either he is grossly incompetent or...an utter liar.  

    I don't think he's a liar (but sure maybe he is) so much as he wanted to have the most massive battles and everything took too long and he thought he could still deliver. To that end, who knows what went on behind the scenes, people leaving, people doing multiple things at once,  not enough money.

    And people still don't understand what they were doing when they gave money. We didn't "pay for anything" we donated money to a project. You didn't buy anything.

    Him not being able to deliver is part of the idea that quite frankly they might not be able to get 'er done.

    And we don't know if Colossus is actually delaying the release of the game so much as making it possible to continue. As I said above, if they don't have money then that's it, game over. So to speak.

    Look I've used this example before so I'll use it again. I'm not a game developer but I'm trying to finish a rather large Skyrim mod that I've been working on for about 5 years. I thought it would take a year. Since last I mentioned it I set a deadline for end of January to be done.

    And it's not as I sit here with the tool set open. I'd like to give myself another deadline for end of February but I'm just giving myself  2 week deadline. I "think" I can do it.

    What I've learned is that there is a difference between putting it all together and then making the rooms, the halls, the "places" actually play well, actually feel right and then the events be, well, "fun."

    I lost two weekends because one map was making my fps dip to 35 fps. Had to completely move it to an outside cell. I imagine game development is always like "this."

    Am I disappointed that Camelot Unchained will be delayed? erm sort of. I actually gave money because Dark Age of Camelot players really wanted a successor. However, the idea of a RVR game that is predominantly pvp eventually made me look forward to it.

    Again, for me, if it comes out great. And if it doesn't I was always prepared for that fact.
    Kyleran
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

    Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w


    Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

    Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

    Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Sal1Sal1 Member UncommonPosts: 430
    BruceYee said:
    Could be just an excuse to give up on CU cause no big publisher picked them up. That may have been the plan all along for some of these crowdfunded MMO titles they may have just been fishing for buyouts. If the same situation with Mythic EA happened with CSE then whoever the investors were may have made a quick buyout profit but PC game companies aren't what they were even 7 years ago. If it wasn't for streamers and Fortnite breathing unnatural life into PC games the genre would've probably gone the way of the cassette tape years ago or be 100% owned by Tencent.

    Think also about if they wanted to make money to help fund CU they could slap together 1-2 Mobile games for a fraction of the effort and make 1000 times more money. Maybe the truth sank in that no buyouts are coming so those investors told CSE to just make anything they can fast to recoup what they could.

    This was the project I had put the most faith in and backed but who knows maybe it was just a scam from the start.

    Save us Crowfall, you're our only hope...
    What do you mean by genre? MMO's? PC games, PC's and PC hardware are selling just fine. MMO's not so much.
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,253
    Quizzical said:
    It's theoretically possible that adding another game brings in more funding and more developers and thus doesn't delay the original game.  That's not likely, however.  The old saying is that adding developers to a late project makes it later.  It takes a lot of time for the new people to get up to speed.

    I hope this is the exception to that rule, but the smart money would say "nope".  I would imagine that any "dedicated" CU development staff are going to end up spending a lot of time helping the Colossus new hires come up to speed.  Anytime 1 person's time is split between 2 tasks, both tend to suffer.  So, I too am hesitant to accept a promise that growth isn't going to impact deliverables.

    If I read the announcement correctly, this delay may have already occurred.  The general public is only hearing of this delay now.  This entire discussion may be moot.

    Still, another developer promising a PvE MMO in a year?  How much content is planned, and how is that content going to be tested?  The genre really doesn't need another game so badly that customers are willing to accept one released in an unpolished state.



    gervaise1

    Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

  • p4ttythep3rf3ctp4ttythep3rf3ct Member UncommonPosts: 194
    Pretty sure we are edging into VRMMORPG timeline now.  None of this matters anymore, too many years too late.  We've all been waiting for the next BIG GAME...I think it's new technology that we needed to breathe life into the MMORPG genre.  That said, PC gaming will chug along for years, hell, forever so long as there are PCs, but even the rise of the mobile market gave us clues as to what's going on.  We just wouldn't believe it.  I have great memories of the early days, even the middle day or MMORPGs, and some good ones of the late days, but their time is coming to a close.  CU is DoA.

    That's just, like, my opinion, man.

  • Rich84Rich84 Member UncommonPosts: 55
    never pre order, never crowdfund.
  • SplattrSplattr Member RarePosts: 348
    Ungood said:
    Wait.. Fuck me.. never-mind... I got confused, I thought this was CrowFall, not Camelot Unchained.. I rescind what I said about it's current state, as I don't know shit about this game.

    I still stand by what I said about H1Z1 being a pile of crap tho.
    LOL, it's all good. I haven't played CU so not sure what state the game is in playability wise. I do agree that H1Z1 was a steamy pile of brown when it first came out and never made it past that phase. And your "Wait.. Fuck me.. never-mind" almost made me spit out my drink so I humbly bow to for your ability to not take yourself too seriously. Well played.

    UngoodKyleran
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 40,766
    edited February 2020
    Ungood said:
    Ya know, I might buy into the doom and gloom, If I could not log in and play CU right now.

    But I can log into CU right now, and I can see that they are just fine tuning CU, and, well getting the final touches in, to get to an actual Beta. Like mounts for example, they are in the game, in the sense you have a run-speed mount effect, they just need put something graphically in the game.

    If they can pump out some BR game, which won't take much since they have all the other parts done, like the engine, models, animation, landscapes, etc. So basically, putting out a BR game using the existing CU frame work should be a swift and easy side project, and give people something else to piss away their time on.

    Given where things are, I don't see why anyone would be worried.
    Nevermind, I see you mistook CU for CF.



    Post edited by Kyleran on

    "True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

    "I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

    Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing ESO - Blackwood at the moment.

    Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

    Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

    "This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon






  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 40,766
    edited February 2020
    Kyleran said:
    Sovrath said:
    Kyleran said:

    Normally you are level headed, but you clearly are heading into white knight territory if you can't acknowledge what is wrong with this move.

    The ivory tower awaits.

    Sorry man, normally you are clear headed yet speak your mind and now you are slightly delusional (And I'm telling you this in a brotherly way)

    There are some simple facts.

    1, There are no guarantees to crowd funded projects. Period. Not a one. There is no clause that normally gives you a full refund, no clause that says that if they can't deliver in x amount of time then the donors get anything. Nothing. That has to be recognized.

    2, Therefore, any money you put into any crowdfunded project is a gamble. If you expect anything, ANYTHING on time, as advertised, then you are naive. Not in an insulting way, just in a you really don't know enough about these projects to fully realize how they can go "tits up" way.

    You (royal you) have to accept this or else don't put in money. Why would you, except to say "good luck let's see if you can do it."

    As for this latest development; it's clear that they are running out of money. They spent a lot on that engine. So THAT'S where their work really shines. That engine.

    They can either go to their donors and say "yup, sorry, we messed up, we are folding" OR they can take what they have done and make the best of it and sell its features to others.

    This isn't white knighting. It's logic. It's "we have a project where we spent a LOT of time developing the engine and now we can't finish it so what do we do oh I KNOW we can make a game for an investor and recoup some money so we can finish the project.

    I don't get mad at ridiculous things where I know there was never a guarantee. Never. I don't rant or blame with crap like that.

    What would I get mad at? If they said "hey game is finished and we are just doing last minute polishing so kickstart some funds to get us to the finish line and THEN they say oops we never had a game.

    That would get me mad. As it's a bald faced lie. Still, whenever I've given money to these things I've kissed it good bye. done. It's over. I'll never see it again so let's see if I gave it in vane.

    So what are the choices?

    Get your money back or not because

    a, this game can't come to fruition and it folds or
    b, in order to get it done they need to use that engine they invested in.

    What will get you a game? Not having them do this for the investor and just putter along until they fold or use what they have to get more money?

    1. I don't need guarantees, but I do expect, nay demand people keep their word which Mark clearly didn't, this being just one example.

    “The H word: honesty. I promised our backers that we wouldn’t to anything major to delay the release of the game.”

    2. As a fully certified armchair developer I looked at Mark's original promise of delivery in two years as a case of unreasonable optimism, thinking not a chance, but hey he's the industry professional,  what do I know?

    I was wrong btw, I guesstimated 4, maybe 5 years tops, this isnt a full MMORPG, but merely a subset of DAOCs RVR which was a key reason Mark said he could deliver so fast.

    Coming up on 7 years so either he is grossly incompetent or...an utter liar.  

    3. Refunds are great and all but screw that, I want him to deliver the damn game he promised he would and could.  At least when I slag on Jeromy Walsh I can give him some leeway in that he truly did not have any idea what he was getting into,  whereas this was far from Mark's first rodeo.

    Finally,  you closed with the argument backers... no white knights often make to excuse the delays, exaggerated promises, unrealistic dates, that the ends somehow justify the means and if these devs didn't do all of this then there would have been no hope of anything new or different.

    To that I say, just as Rorschach said in the Watchmen,  "never compromise, even in the face of Armageddon, that's the difference between you and me..."

    In other words, if all of the douchery is what it takes to deliver these games, the gaming world would be better off without them, and I am perfectly fine seeing them fail.

    I realize none of this bothers you...hence it is my job to make sure you come to understand the error of your ways.  ;)

    No worries, I'll be here all week. 

    Cheers 

     B) 
    I agree with everything you said except the refunds.  That’s an actual mechanism to hold him accountable that is lacking elsewhere. He has sought outside investment as opposed to pushing sales and the bulk of the money raised is from investors not backers.   There are no monthly sales.  No Kickstarterversaries. No made up in game holidays with a cash shop tie in. This is the result of that choice.  

    I do not blame a single person who goes and gets their refund.  As a matter of fact I hope many do.   I’m just not there yet.
    If you check MassivelyOP you'll see Mark is starting to balk at refund requests. 

    Latest one is IT level backers ($180) are not eligible for refunds for "reasons."

    They toss onerous documentation requirements,  delay the process by months sending counter offers, it's clearly not a case of "no questions asked."

    I'm thinking you've chosen a poor hill to die on in the case of their refund policy. 

    It was really great, well, until people started to rush to the door and actually try to get one.

    Oh yeah, btw, he is well covered here, recall he once said the refund policy would one day come to an end sometime after Beta One got underway. 

    My guess is "one day" has finally arrived.
    gervaise1Mendel

    "True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

    "I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

    Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing ESO - Blackwood at the moment.

    Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

    Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

    "This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon






  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 15,351
    Arterius said:
    Kyleran said:
    Kyleran said:
    Sovrath said:
    Kyleran said:

    Normally you are level headed, but you clearly are heading into white knight territory if you can't acknowledge what is wrong with this move.

    The ivory tower awaits.

    Sorry man, normally you are clear headed yet speak your mind and now you are slightly delusional (And I'm telling you this in a brotherly way)

    There are some simple facts.

    1, There are no guarantees to crowd funded projects. Period. Not a one. There is no clause that normally gives you a full refund, no clause that says that if they can't deliver in x amount of time then the donors get anything. Nothing. That has to be recognized.

    2, Therefore, any money you put into any crowdfunded project is a gamble. If you expect anything, ANYTHING on time, as advertised, then you are naive. Not in an insulting way, just in a you really don't know enough about these projects to fully realize how they can go "tits up" way.

    You (royal you) have to accept this or else don't put in money. Why would you, except to say "good luck let's see if you can do it."

    As for this latest development; it's clear that they are running out of money. They spent a lot on that engine. So THAT'S where their work really shines. That engine.

    They can either go to their donors and say "yup, sorry, we messed up, we are folding" OR they can take what they have done and make the best of it and sell its features to others.

    This isn't white knighting. It's logic. It's "we have a project where we spent a LOT of time developing the engine and now we can't finish it so what do we do oh I KNOW we can make a game for an investor and recoup some money so we can finish the project.

    I don't get mad at ridiculous things where I know there was never a guarantee. Never. I don't rant or blame with crap like that.

    What would I get mad at? If they said "hey game is finished and we are just doing last minute polishing so kickstart some funds to get us to the finish line and THEN they say oops we never had a game.

    That would get me mad. As it's a bald faced lie. Still, whenever I've given money to these things I've kissed it good bye. done. It's over. I'll never see it again so let's see if I gave it in vane.

    So what are the choices?

    Get your money back or not because

    a, this game can't come to fruition and it folds or
    b, in order to get it done they need to use that engine they invested in.

    What will get you a game? Not having them do this for the investor and just putter along until they fold or use what they have to get more money?

    1. I don't need guarantees, but I do expect, nay demand people keep their word which Mark clearly didn't, this being just one example.

    “The H word: honesty. I promised our backers that we wouldn’t to anything major to delay the release of the game.”

    2. As a fully certified armchair developer I looked at Mark's original promise of delivery in two years as a case of unreasonable optimism, thinking not a chance, but hey he's the industry professional,  what do I know?

    I was wrong btw, I guesstimated 4, maybe 5 years tops, this isnt a full MMORPG, but merely a subset of DAOCs RVR which was a key reason Mark said he could deliver so fast.

    Coming up on 7 years so either he is grossly incompetent or...an utter liar.  

    3. Refunds are great and all but screw that, I want him to deliver the damn game he promised he would and could.  At least when I slag on Jeromy Walsh I can give him some leeway in that he truly did not have any idea what he was getting into,  whereas this was far from Mark's first rodeo.

    Finally,  you closed with the argument backers... no white knights often make to excuse the delays, exaggerated promises, unrealistic dates, that the ends somehow justify the means and if these devs didn't do all of this then there would have been no hope of anything new or different.

    To that I say, just as Rorschach said in the Watchmen,  "never compromise, even in the face of Armageddon, that's the difference between you and me..."

    In other words, if all of the douchery is what it takes to deliver these games, the gaming world would be better off without them, and I am perfectly fine seeing them fail.

    I realize none of this bothers you...hence it is my job to make sure you come to understand the error of your ways.  ;)

    No worries, I'll be here all week. 

    Cheers 

     B) 
    I agree with everything you said except the refunds.  That’s an actual mechanism to hold him accountable that is lacking elsewhere. He has sought outside investment as opposed to pushing sales and the bulk of the money raised is from investors not backers.   There are no monthly sales.  No Kickstarterversaries. No made up in game holidays with a cash shop tie in. This is the result of that choice.  

    I do not blame a single person who goes and gets their refund.  As a matter of fact I hope many do.   I’m just not there yet.
    If you check MassivelyOP you'll see Mark is starting to balk at refund requests. 

    Latest one is IT level backers ($180) are not eligible for refunds for "reasons."

    They toss onerous documentation requirements,  delay the process by months sending counter offers, it's clearly not a case of "no questions asked."

    I'm thinking you've chosen a poor hill to die on in the case of their refund policy. 

    It was really great, well, until people started to rush to the door and actually try to get one.

    Oh yeah, btw, he is well covered here, recall he once said the refund policy would one day come to an end sometime after Beta One got underway. 

    My guess is "one day" has finally arrived.
    This is %100 true. I experienced it a year ago. I eventually had to go through Paypal and get a charge back which was also a hasle because they fought me on that too. Saying that I shouldn't get a refund. I eventually had to send Paypal proof of all the broken promises. Like launch dates and so forth.

    I have talked too @MightyUnclean about this before actually. 
    Interesting... if that's true (not your case specifically as I believe you... but on a wider scale) then that's bullshit.
    gervaise1

    All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

    "I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

    Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

    Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

    "Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 40,766
    edited February 2020
    Just tonight Mark said the only people ineligible for a refund are the IT pledge tier, and he's offered to upgrade them for free to a higher tier so they can be sold to other players.

    Be very interested to know if anyone who has struggled to get a refund is in any other tier beside IT.

    If so and if true I will raise it up to him.
    Scotgervaise1

    "True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

    "I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

    Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing ESO - Blackwood at the moment.

    Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

    Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

    "This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon






  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 18,734
    edited February 2020
    Kyleran said:
    Just tonight Mark said the only people ineligible for a refund are the IT pledge tier, and he's offered to upgrade them for free to a higher tier so they can be sold to other players.

    Be very interested to know if anyone who has struggled to get a refund is in any other tier beside IT.

    If so and if true I will raise it up to him.
    You need to put in quotes there, I assume that's Mark doing the raising not you? Later in a forum concerned with pedantry I will be doing a lecture entitled The "Death Of Punctuation". :)
    Post edited by Scot on
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Kyleran said:
    Just tonight Mark said the only people ineligible for a refund are the IT pledge tier, and he's offered to upgrade them for free to a higher tier so they can be sold to other players.

    Be very interested to know if anyone who has struggled to get a refund is in any other tier beside IT.

    If so and if true I will raise it up to him.
    I would assume the same argument would apply to higher tiers as well. To me it comes across as an assessment of "liabilities" and how to reduce them has been made. And using this argument that is $X that won't have to refunded.
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Last year I asked the question: "What were they thinking of launching by end 2019?".

    The obvious answer: "Colossus the game previously known as CU"!

    Except Colossus isn't slated to launch till the end of 2020. Which is the new - nominal - release date for CU. And in the interview he only said he expected colossus to release before CU because it was a simpler game.

    So I guess I am still no clearer on what was planned for end 2019.

    Having thought about the interview some more it comes across as "Trust me I am doing the best I can to deliver what I said."

    This does represent a change though and because CU has "expectations" (baggage!) we have had a change of name!  So no saying I am going back on what I said! Colossus. Totally not CU you understand!  And I still hope to deliver CU. Its just going to take longer.

    And of course the unsaid stuff: take any date I give you with a large block of salt because - well its hard. You ask me about publishers - in reality finding one that will bankroll the development rather than simply push it out and take 30% of the proceeds for doing so is also hard.

    Basically just add: its hard to all my answers but I am doing the best I can. And this is the road that I hope will eventually deliver on my vision. And I hope people understand this ....






    laseritGdemami
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 15,351
    Kyleran said:
    Just tonight Mark said the only people ineligible for a refund are the IT pledge tier, and he's offered to upgrade them for free to a higher tier so they can be sold to other players.

    Be very interested to know if anyone who has struggled to get a refund is in any other tier beside IT.

    If so and if true I will raise it up to him.
    I disagree with his rationale regarding IT testers.  The Kickstarter did not say you could never get a refund.  It said that if you broke NDA(or didn’t sign one) or were not actually testing, that they could downgrade your account with no refund.   That is not applicable here as far as I can tell.
    KyleranGdemami

    All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

    "I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

    Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

    Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

    "Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    There is no way on earth that developing this "new" game didn't delay work on CU, unless they subcontracted the entire development to a different studio...

    As for refunds, it will not be possible to refund ALL backers, because that would imply none of the funds were actually ever used. Will MJ borrow money to cover refunds once the current account runs dry ?
    Gdemami
Sign In or Register to comment.