Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Warning: Astellia's graphics are terrible.

MaridMarid Member UncommonPosts: 128
edited February 2020 in The Pub at MMORPG.COM
So, I bought Astellia today and Wow what a disappointment! The graphics are terrible - very blurry and washed out - and I know why: those crooks are using Unreal engine 3 and DirectX 9 for this game! I violated my own rule - never buy a video game 'til you've investigated it first! Hopefully I'll be able to get a refund because of that shady shit with the packages on Steam.

Edit: I got the refund from Steam, even though I had played the game for more than 3 hours...apparently, they've had so many complaints about this game that they were just issuing refunds as quickly as they could, without regard for their own return policy.

Update: The Astellia community on Steam seems to be working towards a workaround...one guy says that borderless window mode might be the problem. Another says that turning off post processing and minimizing the game will fix the bad graphics. I haven't checked the Astellia website, though, as it will most likely be full of dishonest shills.

Post edited by Marid on
strawhat0981Ungood

Comments

• strawhat0981strawhat0981 Member RarePosts: 1,198
    Right now, they are selling it as dlc. So, no refund as far as steam goes. I hope you get your money back.

Originally posted by laokoko
    "if you want to be a game designer, you should sell your house and fund your game. Since if you won't even fund your own game, no one will".

• strawhat0981strawhat0981 Member RarePosts: 1,198
    I almost bought this today.

Originally posted by laokoko
    "if you want to be a game designer, you should sell your house and fund your game. Since if you won't even fund your own game, no one will".

• MaridMarid Member UncommonPosts: 128
    Right now, they are selling it as dlc. So, no refund as far as steam goes. I hope you get your money back.

I just got the refund notice from Steam. Lucky for you you didn't buy this hunk-of-junk.
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    edited January 2020
    Astellia has had a two-week refund policy for at least several months now.  They botched how they put stuff on Steam, but that surely wasn't an effort at denying normal Steam refunds.

Yes, it's a DirectX 9 game, and that does bring some disadvantages.  Though using DirectX 11 or 12 doesn't automatically benefit a game unless it actually uses the newer features.  But for the most part, it's not the API you use.  It's what you do with it that matters.  For comparison, Guild Wars 2 also uses DirectX 9 (both games probably use 9.0c, though I haven't verified this), but people don't constantly complain about how ugly it is.  Well, maybe you do, but most people don't.

I'm not sure why you say the game is "blurry" and "washed out".  Neither of those describe it at all.  That sounds like a settings error somewhere, whether via the in-game settings or video drivers.
    Panther2103maskedweaselKyutaSyuko
  • goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    Unreal 3 engine does not make blurry and washed out games.  My guess is you have some sort of driver issue with your video card.  Or its just bad artwork.  Don't blame the engine.   

Here are the capablilites of the Unreal 3 engine.  And this link is noy a pre-render scene, you can run this map in the developer tools.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGf0oGGGQqQ
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Bad graphics because of UE3?umm yeah ok,sorry but NO.

What is the tex res in UE3?Likely around 2048?Even a res of 1024 is plenty good enough.DX9,haha i doubt a game developer has ever used the full capabilities to deliver the best graphics and i mean EVER.That is why when we see advertising done the developer of the engine spends some time to show case some very good work,to prove what the engine is capable of,game developers NEVER put in that kind of effort citing time and cost as the reasons.

There is sooooooo much that goes into making good looking graphics,lighting effects/shaders etc etc.
    I just see the last poster posted a UE3 video,i really don't need to watch it since i know the engine is very capable of great graphics.We are simply looking at a LOT of real bad developers out there,just selling crap hoping their game sticks but if it doesn't,no big loss,no real time spent developing the game.
    I agree Astellia looks bad but even the best graphics would not save the game.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I assume the poster says it looks bad because  the view distance is very low so background graphics are very low res.So your character/armor might look good up close but right behind your character the graphics look washed out.IDK never cared to even look at the settings sliders to see if they do anything,the game was an auto delete for me.

So if it is the graphics alone steering you away try a view distance change or check the texture settings,heck check all the default settings.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

goboygo said:
    Unreal 3 engine does not make blurry and washed out games.  My guess is you have some sort of driver issue with your video card.  Or its just bad artwork.  Don't blame the engine.   

Here are the capablilites of the Unreal 3 engine.  And this link is noy a pre-render scene, you can run this map in the developer tools.

All the rest of my games run just fine on my $5,500. computer. Thanks for your concern, though.
    [Deleted User]GdemamicheebaCryomatrix
    Quizzical said:
    Astellia has had a two-week refund policy for at least several months now.  They botched how they put stuff on Steam, but that surely wasn't an effort at denying normal Steam refunds.

Yes, it's a DirectX 9 game, and that does bring some disadvantages.  Though using DirectX 11 or 12 doesn't automatically benefit a game unless it actually uses the newer features.  But for the most part, it's not the API you use.  It's what you do with it that matters.  For comparison, Guild Wars 2 also uses DirectX 9 (both games probably use 9.0c, though I haven't verified this), but people don't constantly complain about how ugly it is.  Well, maybe you do, but most people don't.

I'm not sure why you say the game is "blurry" and "washed out".  Neither of those describe it at all.  That sounds like a settings error somewhere, whether via the in-game settings or video drivers.

Many others have complained about the shitty graphics in Astellia...because they suck.
    [Deleted User]GdemamicheebaNepheth
    Wizardry said:
    Bad graphics because of UE3?umm yeah ok,sorry but NO.

But UE4 is much better...And that's what I expect to get in a game that was released today (Jan. 30th, 2020). UE3 was released almost 15 years ago.

Gdemami
    Arterius said:
    I am starting to think that the OP is someone who was banned or another user's alter ego. Out 43 posts everyone has been trashing either a game or someone else opinion 

Aww, did I say mean things about your pet game? :'(
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    It reeks of another cash shop Asian grinder.... Why would anyone think this would be any different ?
  • BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662
    I guess there's people who view graphics above all... aka graphic whores.

If a game is fun, graphics shouldn't matter as much. Obviously not speaking about this game but in general.
    cheeba

It reeks of another cash shop Asian grinder.... Why would anyone think this would be any different ?

DMKano said:
    Graphics are the least of Astellias problems.

Consider yourself lucky OP, dodged a bullet.

I did, and I know that. I usually investigate a game pretty well before I buy it. I didn't do that in this case. 

OMG! The game itself is a hot mess of ugly (bad graphics, bad animations, bad voice acting, etc.), but the cash shop part is nice and polished!
    Bloodaxes said:

If a game is fun, graphics shouldn't matter as much. Obviously not speaking about this game but in general.

Wow! You're so wise and smart and...yeah. Maybe you could use your big smart brain and explain to me why we can't have really great graphics and great gameplay in the same game...? Please and thank you!
  • BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662
    edited January 2020
    Marid said:

Wow! You're so wise and smart and...yeah. Maybe you could use your big smart brain and explain to me why we can't have really great graphics and great gameplay in the same game...? Please and thank you!
    I'm not "smart", I'm realistic. Not all developers (indie for example) can afford to have their games in ultra realistic graphics. Its a huge cost after all. Besides you should take into consideration when such games released. Most eastern mmorpgs take a long time (years) to arrive to us. It's logical they won't be BDO style or better.

Obviously having nice graphics is nice and all, but I can still enjoy games that aren't top of the line too. If you can't fathom to play games in stylised art style, your loss I guess. 

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015
    Marid said:
    Bloodaxes said:

Bloodaxes is correct, not every studio can afford top notch graphics. 

I prefer great graphics but even more I prefer great art design. However, I can still play games that aren't cutting edge as far as looks.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    It's not a cash shop grinder.  It's buy to play.  By far the most important item in the cash shop is loot scrolls to automatically pick up your loot, and that's just a convenience.  Pretty much everything else is either purely cosmetic or easily obtained through gameplay.

If you think it smells like a cash shop grinder, that's a statement about your sense of smell, not a statement about the game.
    Sovrath
  • UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    Sovrath said:
    Marid said:
    Bloodaxes said:

Bloodaxes is correct, not every studio can afford top notch graphics. 

I prefer great graphics but even more I prefer great art design. However, I can still play games that aren't cutting edge as far as looks.
    I mean if you're complaining about Astellia you're probably a bit confused about lots of things.
    Sovrath
  • fcweddfcwedd Member UncommonPosts: 196
    Marid said:
    goboygo said:

All the rest of my games run just fine on my $5,500. computer. Thanks for your concern, though.

A $5500 Alienware or Laptop could possibly be equivalent to a $700 DIY build, though :P
    RexKushman
  • alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    Marid said:
    Bloodaxes said:

because devs are lazy.

btw we told several times astelia was crap, didn't listen, so could care less now
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Marid said:
    Bloodaxes said:

because devs are lazy.

btw we told several times astelia was crap, didn't listen, so could care less now
    Guess he didn’t use his ‘big smart brain.’

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• cmacqcmacq Member UncommonPosts: 331
    fcwedd said:
    Marid said:
    goboygo said:

A $5500 Alienware or Laptop could possibly be equivalent to a $700 DIY build, though :P
    Not unless you're stealing the parts that go into the DYI
    edited January 2020
    cmacq said:
    fcwedd said:
    Marid said:
    goboygo said:

Not unless you're stealing the parts that go into the DYI
    Never underestimate the ability of dodgy vendors to massively overcharge for junk parts.  This site recently had a review of a $200 HDMI cable.  Not a $200 HDMI monitor.  Just a cable.
    Iselin