Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Funcom's new Dune title is definitely a survival game

Comments

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    Po_gg said:
    Kyleran said:
    Sigh, $12.99 / mo isn't "paying through the nose."
    Still a bad precedent, especially if you look at Todd's lamentation about how players play Skyrim and Fallout 4 for years without a single dime above the box purchase... and in light of how Rockstar milks GTA through online while ignores the actual game.

Which interview is this? I've only seen him say that it's great that the game has such long legs (paraphrasing) and that it keeps the game and the franchise in the minds of players.

I would think it would be a dream for any game company. It's like free advertising.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    olepi said:
    Dune is about the conflict between various factions: the Houses, the Emperor, the Fremen, smugglers, the various religious groups, the Guild. I could see a MMORPG made from this.

I can't see it as a survival game, there was almost none of that in Dune.

I mean, think about it, nary a single tree or bush to punch any where on Arakis.

;)
    Po_ggAlBQuirky

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Sovrath said:
    Po_gg said:
    Kyleran said:
    Sigh, $12.99 / mo isn't "paying through the nose."
    Still a bad precedent, especially if you look at Todd's lamentation about how players play Skyrim and Fallout 4 for years without a single dime above the box purchase... and in light of how Rockstar milks GTA through online while ignores the actual game.

Which interview is this? I've only seen him say that it's great that the game has such long legs (paraphrasing) and that it keeps the game and the franchise in the minds of players.

I would think it would be a dream for any game company. It's like free advertising.
    He built FO76 the way he did for "reasons" you know.

I thought I recalled reading a story about Todd waxing eloquent on GaaS but perhaps it was someone else. 

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088
    edited February 2020
    Nyctelios said:
    Kyleran said:
    Bellomo said:
    This is great news Conan exiles is awesome and this gives me something to look forward to.
    Bah, go punch some bushes or something out in your yard.

;)
    To me this concept is so funny since it would be way easier to just place a simple animation for grabbing something and instead of punching something you just 'collect'. Yet all those survival games does the same bush-punching (with exception of Salem, of course)... it's so absurd.
    That is because most survival games set the quality bar really low if it comes to completing features, bug fixing etc. It is mostly about selling DLC and not fixing the base of the game.

In the case of Conan Exiles, they also promised features that did not get in the game, meanwhile selling preorders. Just like ARK devs they don't really fix or improve what is there.

But then again, when companies can keep getting away with this because so many people buy into this crap, who is at fault there? So many keep falling for the pre release hype and buy those games before waiting for a review. Also, it is easy on Steam to find the worst multiplayer survival games that are filled with bugs and game breaking crashes and still have people commenting about how awesome that game is.

AlBQuirkyKyleranGdemami
  • NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
    Funcom has great game ideas, but poor execution and management.

Let, Funcom design the game, and then take it away from them and let somebody else develop it. The only way the game will have a chance.
    AlBQuirkyKyleran
    To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Sovrath said:
    Which interview is this?
    It was an IGN interview, but since their videos don't have timestamped links I just put this one here instead (even if I ain't like Sterling much), with the referenced part:

(but the original interview is just around 8-9 minutes too, so if want to hear his other catchy phrases, you can look it up on IGN)
    AlBQuirky
    AlBQuirky said:
    ... I bought Morrowind 4 times. It is a GREAT game and I don't mind it at all :)
    I only have it twice, but I do have 4 Vice City (my favourite GTA still) copies, one is still in wraps since I've bought that for that reason, to put it away unopened as a memorabilia :)
    AlBQuirkyKyleran
  • ShelvinarrShelvinarr Member UncommonPosts: 89
    Conan Exiles was promised to have sorcery. Now, I'm not deep in Conan lore, but from what I understand Sorcery wasn't really a thing, but I was excited to see it in Conan Exiles. Then, they said, "It's coming! It's coming, just not right now." Fast forward a year later, they scrapped it. Ever since then, I was disappointed. I wanted to re-live some of Age of Conan's sorcery through Conan Exiles. 

Going forward, I don't care what anyone promises will be in the game they are designing, I won't put money towards said game until the  game HAS said features upon arrival. But, that doesn't stop anyone else from purchasing the game and continuing this -EXPLETIVE- cycle of allowing developers to produce half-hearted attempts at games because the market is starved of a true MMORPG.

On the other side of that coin, we as gamers don't truly know what we want, I mean, sure I know what my dream MMORPG would consist of, but that doesn't mean that is what the masses want, nor does that mean that any developer would take a general consensus of features/ideas and gamble with millions upon millions of dollars to produce/publish a game that may flop in seven years.

Hell, at this point I'd settle for DAoC 2. Maybe tweak some of the features, remove some of the BS, update the graphics/engine, and lessen the PvE grind and I'd gladly pay a subscription fee monthly to engage in castle sieges, 8 vs 8 fights, 8 vs zerg fights, etc. If they really wanted to secure a boat load of my money, some company would make Warhammer Online 2, and not make it terrible. Want to continue to make money after initial box sales? Cosmetic shop. I can't tell you how much money I've wasted in SMITE on skins. (Hint: At least a couple grand)

Sorry for the rant. It's Friday, I'm stuck at home, and I'm bored.
  • AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    edited April 2020
    Conan Exiles was promised to have sorcery. Now, I'm not deep in Conan lore, but from what I understand Sorcery wasn't really a thing, 

https://hyboria.xoth.net/sorcery/index.htm
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xaltotun
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Kyleran said:
    olepi said:
    Dune is about the conflict between various factions: the Houses, the Emperor, the Fremen, smugglers, the various religious groups, the Guild. I could see a MMORPG made from this.

I can't see it as a survival game, there was almost none of that in Dune.

I mean, think about it, nary a single tree or bush to punch any where on Arakis.

;)

Punch sandworm, collect spice.  Dune as a literary work = a good thing.  Dune as a model for an MMORPG = much more questionable.

KyleranAlBQuirky

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    There are 3 Dune titles being worked on by FCMKF .. Ill leave it at that
    Good ol' thread...
    Mendel said:
    Punch sandworm, collect spice.
    Except you don't, neither...
    Punching, they're huge, like a skyscraper on its side, and just as durable. Not to mention the tiny little fact they're sacred to the fremens.
    Collect, that's not how you get spice.

But since it's Funcom, it's fully possible, sadly. Epic bossfight against the worm, and after the kill you get a chest from its corpse, full of spice :D

Hell, at this point I'd settle for DAoC 2.
    There's already one, called ESO.
    Sure, they tweaked it towards PvE over the years (and don't forget the added in horrible scaling), but originally it was "Firor's DAoC 2 with Tamriel skin".
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Po_gg said:
    There's already one, called ESO. 
    Sure, they tweaked it towards PvE over the years (and don't forget the added in horrible scaling), but originally it was "Firor's DAoC 2 with Tamriel skin".
    I used to think that too but the move to PVE happened under Firor also but not before Paul Sage and NIck Konkle who were creative director and lead game play designer left to become Gearbox's creative director and Riot game director respectively.

Nick especially was all about PvP,

It's logical to think that the PvP driving force was Firor because of his DAoC connection but I'm not so sure any more.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

I believe that was the push of Zeni (and the pure logic, PvE can reach a lot more players). His original plans were a full-on 3 faction pvp game, with a short PvE lead-in beginning.
    I admit I loved the backpedalling, watched those with a kinda schadenfreude :)

"Races are faction locked, for pvp and faction pride!" then: ok, store will have imperials, they can join anywhere

"You can't visit the other two starter areas, those are enemy territory!" then: ok, you can quest there too

"You can't play with friends if they aren't in your faction, because of faction pride!" then: ok, you can play with them...

"Cyrodiil is THE endgame, the rest is just a sorta tutorial!" then: ok, pvp is just one form of endgame, but if you don't want to, you can ignore it

I seriously believed near launch he will just stand up, and walks out.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    edited April 2020
    Po_gg said:
    I believe that was the push of Zeni (and the pure logic, PvE can reach a lot more players). His original plans were a full-on 3 faction pvp game, with a short PvE lead-in beginning.
    I admit I loved the backpedalling, watched those with a kinda schadenfreude :)

"Races are faction locked, for pvp and faction pride!" then: ok, store will have imperials, they can join anywhere

"You can't visit the other two starter areas, those are enemy territory!" then: ok, you can quest there too

"You can't play with friends if they aren't in your faction, because of faction pride!" then: ok, you can play with them...

"Cyrodiil is THE endgame, the rest is just a sorta tutorial!" then: ok, pvp is just one form of endgame, but if you don't want to, you can ignore it

I seriously believed near launch he will just stand up, and walks out.
    That's an exaggeration. The original plan included a full PvE game with raids alongside the PvP in Cyrodiil. They weren't there at the start but they were always planned fro Craglorn which was the first new zone added a few months after the release.

They did seriously overestimate the PvP buy in though. They had a shitpile and half of Cyrodiil campaigns at release and quickly cut the number way back when they saw the actual PvP numbers.

But with the cash shop they've gone way beyond just leaning toward PvE. What ESO is really all about these days is costumes, fashion and home decorating.

It's more like the Sims Online but in Tamriel :)
    Po_gg
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

Iselin said:
    That's an exaggeration.
    It really is, guilty as charged :)
    That's why I mentioned schadenfreude, I don't like pvp so all of those tweaks were actually towards my playstyle and liking.
    It still had too much Firor in it for me at launch, but later at a point (housing update... love housing in games) I threw away my initial opposition and went in.

Just to realise what a stinky turd the scaling is which OT introduced a few months before...

But let's not derail this nice thread where we can bash Funcom :)
  • Gamer54321Gamer54321 Member UncommonPosts: 452
    edited April 2020
    Heh, Funcom once gave me their business card. :) Happened many years ago.

I wish I could get exited about this. I also know 0% of this game, but I will check out OP's post.

My worry is that, game designers work off simplistic gimmicks, and either aren't clever enough, or, just don't want to create a compelling game that doesn't rely on a trivial set of game mechanics. Any "big buck" MMO game just isn't interesting to me, nor should it.
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    I don't think I enjoy survival games because of the PvP. If it was just me and the environment then it could be fun. I really hate the idea of fighting all the beasts and elements and then I struggle to build something and some douche bag comes and destroys and takes my things and then kills me too to top it all.
    AlBQuirkyAsheram
    Chamber of Chains
    edited April 2020
    cheyane said:
    I don't think I enjoy survival games because of the PvP. If it was just me and the environment then it could be fun. I really hate the idea of fighting all the beasts and elements and then I struggle to build something and some douche bag comes and destroys and takes my things and then kills me too to top it all.

Plenty of Survival games you can play without PvP..

Savage Lands .. really fun game devs have been working hard on this .. and the results are showing ..

The Forest .... Amazing atmosphere and immersion one of my favorites ,,...

of course 7 Days to DIe ,...  excellent Zombie Survival

Salt .. Very cool survival game that is under most Radar ..  really fun and great exploration ..

https://store.steampowered.com/app/327860/Salt/

Novus Inceptio .. another under most radar , But also the Deepest Crafting in any game ever made ..

IN EA and currently in process of moving to U3 engine .. Brilliant game tho ..Needs some work ..

Planet Explorers , I really like this one i just wish they had spoent some more time on it .. Good Game that could use some polish worthy of sale purchase ..

Rising World .. Nice game .. great systems needs more Survival in it .. '

Unreal World .. one of my favorites .. more learning curve and hardcore ... Brilliant game ..

Force of Nature ,  fun little survival game here , lots of great elements ..

and on sale for .79 cents right now ..

https://store.steampowered.com/app/568570/Force_of_Nature/

cheyane[Deleted User]
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    I don't mind that. Considering the state the world we all can use more practice.
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
    Scorchien said:
    cheyane said:

Savage Lands .. really fun game devs have been working hard on this .. and the results are showing ..

Salt .. Very cool survival game that is under most Radar ..  really fun and great exploration ..

Novus Inceptio .. another under most radar , But also the Deepest Crafting in any game ever made ..

IN EA and currently in process of moving to U3 engine .. Brilliant game tho ..Needs some work ..

Planet Explorers , I really like this one i just wish they had spoent some more time on it .. Good Game that could use some polish worthy of sale purchase ..

Unreal World .. one of my favorites .. more learning curve and hardcore ... Brilliant game ..

I'm guessing you've actually spent some time playing every one of those games. (And many more)

Your list includes more different games than I've actually played in the last 5 years.

I normally break the seal on 3 or less a year, though this year I'm already at two, so could be a record breaker.

Cheers. 

:)
    Scorchien

Kyleran said:
    Scorchien said:
    cheyane said:

I'm guessing you've actually spent some time playing every one of those games. (And many more)

Your list includes more different games than I've actually played in the last 5 years.

I normally break the seal on 3 or less a year, though this year I'm already at two, so could be a record breaker.

Cheers. 

Im retired at 53 .. nothin but time .. :)
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    edited April 2020
    Kyleran said:
    Scorchien said:
    cheyane said:

Cheers. 

But you are an anomaly, wrapped in an enigma, in the skin of a cat.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    AlBQuirky
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

Scorchien said:
    Kyleran said:
    Scorchien said:
    cheyane said:

Cheers. 

Im retired at 53 .. nothin but time .. :)
    How about climbing the Kilimanjaro?

One of the senior managers at work is retiring,  he sold everything he owned, and he and his wife plan to start sailing around the world.

Not his first rodeo, he actually took two years off to go to Malaysia, help a boat builder make his boat, then he sailed it back to South Africa where he lived at the time.

He later sailed it the UK when he relocated, and then to Florida most recently.

Oh yeah, is also a triathlete and computer architectural wizard, clearly one of the more interesting people I've met in life.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다