Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fresh new EverQuest being developed?

Comments

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    edited January 2020
    Exploits are also sort of like having an armored car full of cash turn over in your neighborhood. Your neghbors are all grabbing fist fulls of money - a crime mind you. Will you take the high moral/legal ground and take nothing?

Suppose you do. Next week your neighbors are all buying new cars because nothing was done to punish them. They also didn't have to give the money back. And what do you get? You get to keep your old car and drive around in it with the warm fuzzy feeling that comes from doing the right thing. At a boy!
    AlBQuirkyjimmywolf

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    Amathe said:
    Exploits are also sort of like having an armored car full of cash turn over in your neighborhood. Your neghbors are all grabbing fist fulls of money - a crime mind you. Will you take the high moral/legal ground and take nothing?

Suppose you do. Next week your neighbors are all buying new cars because nothing was done to punish them. They also didn't have to give the money back. And what do you get? You get to keep your old car and drive around in it with the warm fuzzy feeling that comes from doing the right thing. At a boy!
    First you spelled neighbors wrong !

In order to be moral you would have to take as much money as you can while doing your best in talking others from taking money..... Then give it back to the bank.

Did you check on the armored car workers... Call 911 ?
  • centkincentkin Member RarePosts: 1,527
    As they put their heads together and accidentally come out with asheron's call 3 instead.
    AlBQuirkyFinvega
  • JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,984
    Gotta start somewhere.  Hope they can get something new and neat done.
    AlBQuirky

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    Daybreaming up with a good sequal to EQ is like Led Zeppelin coming up with a new song comparable to Stairway to Heaven...in other words, dont hold your breath.
    AmatheAlBQuirkyDibdabs
  • VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    edited January 2020
    moshra said:
    Knowing Holly Longdale's longstanding hatred toward casual gamers, I'm not interested in whatever kind of hardcore game she's going to spew out, even in the EQ IP. I figure it will be EQ raiding with a smidgeon of dungeon crawling and overland for flavor.

Then play one of the thousands of games that are designed for casual game play.
    Utinni said:
    Knowing Holly Longdale's longstanding hatred toward casual gamers, I'm not interested in whatever kind of hardcore game she's going to spew out, even in the EQ IP. I figure it will be EQ raiding with a smidgeon of dungeon crawling and overland for flavor.
    All of daybreaks games are casual. What?
    Holly pretty much only adds raiding content in expansions, but she hasn't had the balls to remove the already entrenched "filthy casual" content.

• Veiled_lightVeiled_light Member UncommonPosts: 855
    It'll suck, that developer is trash.
  • DravendoreDravendore Member UncommonPosts: 80
    edited February 2020
    I hope everyone that paid for Landmark shreds them to pieces for even hinting at a new everquest.  These folks do not deserve a second chance, they can't hide behind a different name.
    Post edited by Dravendore on
  • BrizlynBrizlyn Member UncommonPosts: 81
    stragee said:
    I hope everyone that paid for Landmark shreds them to pieces for even hinting at a new everquest.  These folks do not deserve a second chance, they can't hide behind a different name.

I find comments like this somewhat strange being that the people behind the Landmark/EQ Next fiasco aren't even working for Daybreak/Darkpaw games anymore.  The reality is that Smedley was the biggest factor in the downfall of the EQ franchise.  Jorgeson got canned as soon as the writing was on the wall that the vision wasn't possible.  Rosie Rappaport the art director is even gone. 

They've all been gone for years.

You might as well be wishing for Amazon game studios to be torn apart by the audience and be doomed to failure, being that Smedley works for them now as does Rosie Rappaport.  

I hope Darkpaw is able to make something out of the franchise, I also hope it's not some POS F2P cash shop money grab, but I'm skeptical.

A few things about Daybreak:
    - Their experts on developing cash shops.
    - They know how people spend money.

A new Everquest will be based around this.

Money first, game second.
    AlBQuirkyDibdabs
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    OG_Zorvan said:
    I just can't fathom how after all these years, there are still people who lend any credence at all to anything Holly Longsdale spews.

I think Holly is doing about the best job possible in a pretty dismal situation.  She's far more in tune with EQ2 than the original, and it shows from time to time  (E.g., Franklin Teek daily quests that send people to very remote zones where there's only 1 or 2 of the mobs that actually spawn there).  Still, she wouldn't be my choice for the person to lead development of a new EQ project.  She could definitely contribute to such a project, though.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• DravendoreDravendore Member UncommonPosts: 80
    Brizlyn said:
    stragee said:

I find comments like this somewhat strange being that the people behind the Landmark/EQ Next fiasco aren't even working for Daybreak/Darkpaw games anymore.  The reality is that Smedley was the biggest factor in the downfall of the EQ franchise.  Jorgeson got canned as soon as the writing was on the wall that the vision wasn't possible.  Rosie Rappaport the art director is even gone. 

They've all been gone for years.

You might as well be wishing for Amazon game studios to be torn apart by the audience and be doomed to failure, being that Smedley works for them now as does Rosie Rappaport.  

I hope Darkpaw is able to make something out of the franchise, I also hope it's not some POS F2P cash shop money grab, but I'm skeptical.

Just because the original people behind the project are gone doesn't automatically mean the company doesn't deserve every bit of shit they deserve for what happened.  It's false logic and needs to be shut down.  Remember the people that fired those folks are still there.

Gamers are screwed over enough as it is by the gaming industry at large without folks like you coming to their defense at the drop of the hat.  
    Darkpigeon
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919

Not sure about Daybreak's level of expertise but totally agree its "Money first". Why them spending money on a new game that may - or may not - make money is a stretch.
    AlBQuirky
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015
    stragee said:

Just because the original people behind the project are gone doesn't automatically mean the company doesn't deserve every bit of shit they deserve for what happened.  It's false logic and needs to be shut down.  Remember the people that fired those folks are still there.

Gamers are screwed over enough as it is by the gaming industry at large without folks like you coming to their defense at the drop of the hat.  

Well, unless  you there during all the development do you really know that the people left behind are solely to blame?

Because all you are doing is coming to the defense of "gamers" when in many cases they are their own worst enemy.
    AlBQuirky
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754

Heck the first everquest was like that and they didnt have a cash shop....but they got their $15 a month and had expansions constantly to ding us some more.
    AlBQuirky
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    It doesn't matter if I expect today that a new EverQuest will be good.  What matters is whether they actually build it (as opposed to canceling it) and if so, whether it's good.  Contrary to popular belief, it is completely legal to wait until after a game launches before deciding whether to buy it.
    AlBQuirkyMendelgervaise1Tuor7
  • centkincentkin Member RarePosts: 1,527

Heck the first everquest was like that and they didnt have a cash shop....but they got their $15 a month and had expansions constantly to ding us some more.

Kunark was huge -- pretty much a whole new game and certainly worth the price.

Vellious while not being quite as big was still large in scope.

Then they opened up the moon with Luclin.

And the planes with Planes of Power.

I never really begrudged them charging for the vast amounts of additional content the earlier expansions brang to the game.

--

I moved on during GoD, and have no idea what EQ1 would look like now with 26 expansions.
    DibdabsTuor7
  • MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    DBG doesn't have the resources to make a Q-tip, let alone a decent, new game.
    AlBQuirky

That was Sony back then (no difference),
    Lots of people are still under the impression that Everquest 2 was close to being the King of mmoprgs and being close to World of Warcraft for victory.  

But not even close..... instead of fixing their coding and HUGE amount of bugs they pumped out expansions instead.  Like a bad jigsaw puzzle they didn't fit well with the original.

Your right, their mindset was to double dip by $15 and expansions. 
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919
    OG_Zorvan said:

And now EQ1 is their most cash shop filled game.
    It is ?  I had no idea. I have only played on P99. So what do they sell for Everquest 1?

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919
    My goodness that is bad :(

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    edited February 2020

That was Sony back then (no difference),
    Lots of people are still under the impression that Everquest 2 was close to being the King of mmoprgs and being close to World of Warcraft for victory.  

But not even close..... instead of fixing their coding and HUGE amount of bugs they pumped out expansions instead.  Like a bad jigsaw puzzle they didn't fit well with the original.

Your right, their mindset was to double dip by $15 and expansions. 
    As did every other MMORPG company back then. Come now, Sony (now Daybreak) was no worse than anyone else.  They also put out an expansion every year, which very few others accomplished.
    kitaradDibdabsTuor7

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• XsarecXsarec Newbie CommonPosts: 2
    I hope they make a new Everquest, would be sad to let this franchise go down the drain.
    Margrave
  • MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,362
    I would love a new EQ. Always loved that game world and setting.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015
    edited February 2020
    Xsarec said:
    I hope they make a new Everquest, would be sad to let this franchise go down the drain.
    The problem is that any new Everquest would have to reflect the market NOW and not what players experienced back in the day.

So who would be the audience?

new Players who might have heard of it but "that's it" or older players with very high expectations of what the game "should" be.

I know a guy who loved the original everquest. He left Star Wars Galaxies (which he hated) for Everquest. Then when Everquest II came out he was excited only to find out it wasn't anything like Everquest. Needless to say he stopped playing it.

I strongly suspect any "new" Everquest will be even further from Everquest. 

And the fans will go nuts.

I'll add, even if players were more realistic and realized that they wouldn't get an Everquest in the spirit of the original they wouldn't get the game "in their head" because others would be making the game in "their" heads.

Again, the fans will go nuts.

AlBQuirkyMendel
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo