Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GoodOffer24 2020 New Year Sale: Up To 30% Off! (SPONSORED) - MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited January 2020 in News & Features Discussion

imageGoodOffer24 2020 New Year Sale: Up To 30% Off! (SPONSORED) - MMORPG.com

GoodOffer24, a leading seller of software keys online, is offering MMORPG readers the chance to get up to 30% off select software using an exclusive promo code. Get Windows 10 Pro for just $10 with this exclusive offer!

Read the full story here

Comments

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,181
    So the shady third party store bots are just paying for ad space now?
    [Deleted User]infomatz
    Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• GlacianNexGlacianNex Member UncommonPosts: 652
    skeaser said:
    So the shady third party store bots are just paying for ad space now?
    Well someone has to.
    boris20
  • 3dom3dom Member RarePosts: 889
    Actually good offer considering the lowest Win 10 Pro I could find is $16.
    RolanStormPutrefee

Thank you for your time!

• RolanStormRolanStorm Member UncommonPosts: 198

3dom said:

Actually good offer considering the lowest Win 10 Pro I could find is $16.

Yeah... But when you visit shop prices are higher.
    zerocount
  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    Not a bad price for office

• KatagiriKatagiri Member UncommonPosts: 84
    edited January 2020
    The prices are good but is this gray market?
    Post edited by Katagiri on
  • corvascorvas Member UncommonPosts: 151
    edited January 2020
    lol, you can get win10 pro now for less then 2 euros, have a look at allkeyshop.com, even office you can get for around that price https://www.allkeyshop.com/blog/buy-windows-10-professional-cd-key-compare-prices/
  • SalmonManSalmonMan Member UncommonPosts: 192
    How they selling “official” keys this cheap when win10 costs like $100 in the shops?
    infomatz
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    SalmonMan said:
    How they selling “official” keys this cheap when win10 costs like $100 in the shops?
    piracy
    Quizzical said:
    SalmonMan said:
    piracy
     Possible.. if they know how to generate keys unused, but more than likely they are just buying old keys.  Millions of PCs get junked everyday with windows licenses that are just sitting there, not being used.  Many resellers simply get the keys off of those old installations and resell them. 

My office tosses a good 30+ PCs a year, and we get new ones that already have windows installed. We don't resell our old junk, we just get the hard drives wiped completely, but many of those PCs have windows stickers on them that can be reused, even if OEM licenses aren't supposed to, all it takes is one call to reset them.

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    Quizzical said:
    SalmonMan said:
    piracy
    Microsoft gives practically free licenses to some manufacturers so that they'd install Windows 10 on $120 tablet. Most of these kind of websites operate by acquiring those keys and selling them. They keys are usually genuine.
    maskedweasel

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,181

Vrika said:

Quizzical said:

SalmonMan said:

piracy

Microsoft gives practically free licenses to some manufacturers so that they'd install Windows 10 on $120 tablet. Most of these kind of websites operate by acquiring those keys and selling them. They keys are usually genuine.

Problem is that the keys are usually good for 10 activations so the sellers sell the same key multiple times, then one of the other buyers uses it on multiple devices and kills the key for everyone. Caveat emptor.
    Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

skeaser said:

Vrika said:

Quizzical said:

SalmonMan said:

piracy

Problem is that the keys are usually good for 10 activations so the sellers sell the same key multiple times, then one of the other buyers uses it on multiple devices and kills the key for everyone. Caveat emptor.
    That does happen, microsoft can revoke the keys. I've never had it happen with a windows key before, but I've had it happen with an office key. 

• DarkswormDarksworm Member RarePosts: 1,081

Quizzical said:

SalmonMan said:

piracy

Possible.. if they know how to generate keys unused, but more than likely they are just buying old keys.  Millions of PCs get junked everyday with windows licenses that are just sitting there, not being used.  Many resellers simply get the keys off of those old installations and resell them. 

My office tosses a good 30+ PCs a year, and we get new ones that already have windows installed. We don't resell our old junk, we just get the hard drives wiped completely, but many of those PCs have windows stickers on them that can be reused, even if OEM licenses aren't supposed to, all it takes is one call to reset them.

Windows 10 isn't shipped as a printed key on any machines with BIOS. All of the new machines have all have UEFI. The key for the OS is in the firmware, not plastered on the casing like in the Windows 9x-7 days. Any machine you can just take a key off of, like that, was not shipped running Windows 10.

This is why you don't even need a key on these newer machines to install an OEM Windows license. the OS will automatically authenticate itself by checking for the license in the FW. It won't even ask you for a serial number when doing a completely fresh install.

The only time you generally need a key is for upgrades and when you're moving up to a higher SKU (i.e. Windows Home -> Pro, or Pro -> "for Workstations").

These keys are likely fraudulent, as there is a pretty widely known history of people who buy from sites like this running into issues where their keys are invalidated.

Often, what we see, is re-sellers selling Volume License Keys that Microsoft notices are being abused, resulting in the keys being invalidated - invalidating the software installs of all the users who bought/used them.