Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mike’s TemTem TemTips: Choosing Your Starter - MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited January 2020 in News & Features Discussion

imageMike’s TemTem TemTips: Choosing Your Starter - MMORPG.com

Like its inspiration, Pokémon, TemTem presents you with three choices of a starter Tem shortly after you create your character. The decision is as daunting as always, but we’re here to help you sort through the options. Here are some tips for choosing your starter Tem in TemTem.

Read the full story here

Comments

• RexKushmanRexKushman Member RarePosts: 639
    35$ for an early access Pokemon clone? wtf are these people smoking?
    Aeanderslowz2secretchocolate42069foxgirlholdenhamletdarkheartsLackingMMOPirrayaseraphis79strawhat0981and 2 others.

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,838
    Always go with the best design. 
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,167
    So I didn't know anything about this game and did some searches and it would seem Some YT reviewers moved in fast to bash this game. Mostly they are complaining because it's a Pokemon knock-off that isn't Pokemon? Yet it seems to be doing well enough on Steam.
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

Tiller said:
    So I didn't know anything about this game and did some searches and it would seem Some YT reviewers moved in fast to bash this game. Mostly they are complaining because it's a Pokemon knock-off that isn't Pokemon? Yet it seems to be doing well enough on Steam.
    Nintendo fans are oddly protective of their IP, to the point that something even remotely similar can be offensive to them. It doesn't matter if the assets are completely different, like in Tem Tem.

Tem Tem isn't a knockoff. It's an improvement. It is what a lot of Pokemon fans have been asking for from their franchise for years. And maybe, just maybe, if Tem Tem succeeds, the laziest franchise in gaming will have to up its game for once in 20+ years.

As a Nintendo fan myself, I like seeing new entries in genres I enjoy. If a quality Fire Emblem like game comes out, I'm likely to view that as a must-own. A source of new content. And Hell, I rather feel that something is missing from that space ever since the Shining Force series transformed from great SRPG competitor to third-rate me-too JRPG. 
    Tiller[Deleted User]chocolate42069foxgirl[Deleted User]sschrupp
  • DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503
    I like it so far. 
    But imo sometimes their are too many trainers you need to fight. A few bugs, pokemon that are dissapearing, evolved one but it de evolved back  :disappointed:

I saw an action house on an island but its not open yet and im also waiting till they open the chat.

Im trying to get a luna Ganki!

Btw Patch notes seems like they fixed tem tem getting lost!

• supx2supx2 Member UncommonPosts: 26
    So far I'm having a lot of fun, like people already said it's an improvement in the genre.
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    Aeander said:
    Tiller said:
    Nintendo fans are oddly protective of their IP, to the point that something even remotely similar can be offensive to them. It doesn't matter if the assets are completely different, like in Tem Tem.

Tem Tem isn't a knockoff. It's an improvement. It is what a lot of Pokemon fans have been asking for from their franchise for years. And maybe, just maybe, if Tem Tem succeeds, the laziest franchise in gaming will have to up its game for once in 20+ years.

As a Nintendo fan myself, I like seeing new entries in genres I enjoy. If a quality Fire Emblem like game comes out, I'm likely to view that as a must-own. A source of new content. And Hell, I rather feel that something is missing from that space ever since the Shining Force series transformed from great SRPG competitor to third-rate me-too JRPG. 
    The most recent Pokemon game that I've played is red/blue--that is, the very first ones.  But looking through the Temtem wiki to read about the game mechanics, there were a whole lot of cases where I thought, they lifted that from Pokemon exactly.  The IP is totally different, so it's not a copyright violation, and they did make some tweaks here and there.  But so many of the mechanics are just directly lifted from Pokemon that it goes beyond being in the same genre or just "inspired by".  If that's not a knock-off, then there is no such thing short of actual copyright violations.

Being a knock-off isn't automatically a bad thing.  For a number of years, Pokemon was one of the two IPs from single-player games that I thought were crying out for the MMORPG treatment.  (Uncharted Waters was the other, and it got its MMORPG some years ago.)  Given Nintendo's unwillingness to make PC games, for some other company to step up and make a Pokemon-like MMORPG legally isn't necessarily a bad thing, at least if they do it well.  But whether Temtem is good or not, it's very much a Pokemon knock-off.
  • 3dom3dom Member RarePosts: 889
    edited January 2020

It's a barrier to allow smaller auditory of testers with confirmation bias (for positive PR) into an unfinished game - instead of hordes of freeloaders which require huge server infrastructure, polished product yet the outcome would be a wave of whining about server outages.

Thank you for your time!

• rertezrertez Member UncommonPosts: 230
    Quizzical said:
    Aeander said:
    Tiller said:

The most recent Pokemon game that I've played is red/blue--that is, the very first ones.  But looking through the Temtem wiki to read about the game mechanics, there were a whole lot of cases where I thought, they lifted that from Pokemon exactly.  The IP is totally different, so it's not a copyright violation, and they did make some tweaks here and there.  But so many of the mechanics are just directly lifted from Pokemon that it goes beyond being in the same genre or just "inspired by".  If that's not a knock-off, then there is no such thing short of actual copyright violations.

Being a knock-off isn't automatically a bad thing.  For a number of years, Pokemon was one of the two IPs from single-player games that I thought were crying out for the MMORPG treatment.  (Uncharted Waters was the other, and it got its MMORPG some years ago.)  Given Nintendo's unwillingness to make PC games, for some other company to step up and make a Pokemon-like MMORPG legally isn't necessarily a bad thing, at least if they do it well.  But whether Temtem is good or not, it's very much a Pokemon knock-off.

The reason why TemTem's been in developed is not only the lack of PC Pokemon ports but the lack of innovation and quality in recent original AAA Pokemon titles. Dispite its low budget TemTem as a whole is an improvement upon the Pokemon franchise. Better graphics, better social features, better balance, improved combat, more stable client, better performance, less crashes, etc. This fan made indie project is a fine example of how AAA publishers should treat their own long neglected franchises.

TemTem is not only a Pokemon game for the PC but the soon-to-be best Pokemon game on all current platforms including Nintendo Switch too.
  • foxgirlfoxgirl Member RarePosts: 485
    I'd try it out, but 35$ is too much for me right now.
    edited January 2020
    Edit: nvm beated the 2nd dojo
    Post edited by Dragnelus on

• Krynt0kKrynt0k Member UncommonPosts: 256
    To the guy who said "less crashes" idk what your talking about I've never had a single Pokemon game "crash"
    Krynt0k said:
    To the guy who said "less crashes" idk what your talking about I've never had a single Pokemon game "crash"
    I believe that comment was specifically aimed at online connectivity issues with the co-op wild area battles in Sw/Sh. If not, then I have no idea what he's talking about.
    [Deleted User]
  • AnnwynAnnwyn Member UncommonPosts: 2,854
    I've only played for about an hour or two, but the game seems fairly solid for what it's intended to be. It's very similar to Pokemon, with players running around everywhere. I don't really have anything negative to say about the game so far, though I've never been a huge fan of the Pokemon series, I've played a few but I'm not racing to buy every game that comes out.
  • MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    The developers or the players?  If you mean the developers, apparently you haven't seen the player numbers on Steam.
  • blazingcutblazingcut Member UncommonPosts: 65
    The game is alright and get bored quick. Probably because i’ve been playing 40+ hours on Sword.n Shield. Refunded and will buy it again in future once they show new features distinct from Nintendo Pokemon
    Aeander
    The game is alright and get bored quick. Probably because i’ve been playing 40+ hours on Sword.n Shield. Refunded and will buy it again in future once they show new features distinct from Nintendo Pokemon
    Ill play both!!

Roin

Nyctelios said:
    Arterius said:

I don't disagree with you except for the getting bored part. People are praising TemTem right now for being an evolution of Pokemon but I don't see it and I backed the kickstarter and have been playing since the kickstarter alpha.

The game is great don't get me wrong but at the end of the day its Pokemon except you can see other people walking around which GameFreak did with the wild area. Its not a true MMO. As someone said above or in another thread. Its more or less a single player game where you see other trainers running around.

The only thing that is different from pokemon that I applaud them at is the stamina meter. It makes battles more about strategy then Pokemon for sure
    It is an evolution in terms of combat mechanics.

PP system is just awful, Stamina system is way better. Buffs and debuffs on TemTem are actually useful while in Pokémon there is way less strategy needed.

Also, TemTem is a bit harder level 10 and on while Pokémon got stuck in "for children mode" for decades.
    And don't forget synergies.

I still think Persona is the best example of this type of JRPG in terms of combat mechanics, but Tem Tem is a big improvement on the more mainstream Pokemon model.
    [Deleted User]
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
      With all the good MMOs out there why waste time playing this game???
    [Deleted User]Aeander
    Ozmodan said:
    I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic, or if you're living in a parallel universe I need to visit.

And if it is the latter, what is the rent like, and is it full of busty asian babes?
    OzmodanSovrath
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Aeander said:
    Ozmodan said:
    I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic, or if you're living in a parallel universe I need to visit.

And if it is the latter, what is the rent like, and is it full of busty asian babes?
    As a poster noted earlier, it is good game to play with a child, other than that again why would anyone bother with it?

[Deleted User][Deleted User]
    Ozmodan said:
    Aeander said:
    Ozmodan said:

As a poster noted earlier, it is good game to play with a child, other than that again why would anyone bother with it?

The fault with Pokemon isn't that it's child-friendly. It's that it hasn't substantially improved on its storytelling, mechanics, quality of life, or design sensibilities in over 20 years.
    [Deleted User][Deleted User][Deleted User]
    Arterius said:
    Aeander said:
    Ozmodan said:
    Aeander said:
    Ozmodan said:

The fault with Pokemon isn't that it's child-friendly. It's that it hasn't substantially improved on its storytelling, mechanics, quality of life, or design sensibilities in over 20 years.
    Because kids (who it's actually created for) and adults where fans as kids continue buying it, why change it when it sells.
    100% agree with this for sure. I don't agree that adults can't enjoy those games too but I think its easy to forgot that Pokemon is made for 8 years olds. 
    If anything, that makes some of my criticisms (like bad, obtuse progression mechanics and lack of modern quality of life) more poignant. Improvements on these areas would make the games better for their target audience.
    [Deleted User]
  • MaridMarid Member UncommonPosts: 128
    This game doesn't appeal to me at all...and why would it? In all honesty, it looks like it was designed for toddlers.