Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Zenith: Wow, people are still falling for this Kickstarter junk.

MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
A tiny indie team headed by "industry veterans" promises an MMO (this one with VR support thrown in) with a rapid development cycle.  They can do this with $280K in Kickstarter funds and other investor capital that they pinky swear they have obtained.  Of course, the game is still in the concept phase, but don't let that deter you!  How many times are people going to fall for this?  It's all just variations on the same basic theme.  I guess that people will go for anything if it has a compelling sales pitch.

"The Kickstarter rewards suggest a brisk timeline: pre-alpha in three months, closed alpha in six, and the closed beta by August 2020."

"The more important thing to understand is that Kickstarter is not our only source of funding. In fact we already have several other investors (including some of the most prestigious investors in Silicon Valley) and if fact we've raised more money through them than through the KS. 

Suffice it to say that Lauren and I have decades of industry experience and understand exactly how much money this will take.

The Kickstarter will allow us to make the game even better and more polished but it isn't all the money we have."

https://massivelyop.com/2020/01/22/kickstarted-vr-cyberpunk-mmo-zenith-grows-its-team-lays-groundwork-for-pre-alpha/

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/zenithmmo/zenith-the-fantasy-cyberpunk-mmo-game-for-vr-and-desktop/posts/2598220

AlBQuirkyGdemami

Comments

• PutrefeePutrefee Member UncommonPosts: 46
    "Is there crossplay?

Short answer: Yes. 
    Long answer: We can't promise exactly which platforms have crossplay (due to platform limitations). We'll try our best to work around all the platform limitations, though."

There timeline is very ambitious. I've seen discovery take as long as their predicted pre-alpha. 

It is fully funded, it will be interesting to watch. It sounds like a game I would try.

• MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    edited January 2020
    Putrefee said:
    "Is there crossplay?

Long answer: We can't promise exactly which platforms have crossplay (due to platform limitations). We'll try our best to work around all the platform limitations, though."

There timeline is very ambitious. I've seen discovery take as long as their predicted pre-alpha. 

It is fully funded, it will be interesting to watch. It sounds like a game I would try.

It sounds like a game a lot of people would try, if it had a chance of ever making it to release in anything resembling a complete state.  That's where the sales pitch comes in.  After all the times we've seen this same basic pitch fail to result in a successful MMO, I don't understand why people are still willing to throw their money away.  Hope springs eternal, I guess.
    picommanderAlBQuirkyGdemami
  • PutrefeePutrefee Member UncommonPosts: 46
    Putrefee said:
    "Is there crossplay?

It sounds like a game a lot of people would try, if it had a chance of ever making it to release in anything resembling a complete state.  That's where the sales pitch comes in.  After all the times we've seen this same basic pitch fail to result in a successful MMO, I don't understand why people are still willing to throw their money away.  Hope springs eternal, I guess.
    Agreed, I personally would buy crypto cats before investing in this project at this point.
    AlBQuirky
  • CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    Why does it surprise you?

Look at prosperity gospel stuff . . . Or politics
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    Frekcion said:
    In my opinion this game is worth
    OH! Fill in the blank! I like this :)

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,010
    edited January 2020
    A tiny indie team headed by "industry veterans" promises an MMO (this one with VR support thrown in) with a rapid development cycle.  They can do this with $280K in Kickstarter funds and other investor capital that they pinky swear they have obtained.  
    Actually, they obtained $280k in funds. They asked for 25k.

So the big question is "why?"

Surely they would need more than $25k to make a game. And if they only need "25k" but they have obrtained other funds, why not just get that last remaining 25k from their investors? It's a drop in the bucket compared to what would be needed.

OR, just make the game up to where they need that $25k and then show what they have done and they would surely get that 25k.

edit: I thought they just had the picture. They have shown stuff.

I take back what I said, they seem to have a game. Not my type of game but it looks like there is a game.
    AlBQuirky
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo