Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Crytek and Cloud Imperium Games Lawsuit Saga Continues - MMORPG.com

Comments

• JoeBloberJoeBlober Member RarePosts: 586

Rhoklaw said:

Good luck ever seeing this game launch now.

Luck have nothing to do with a release but goal with roadmaps and +500 devs working hard to deliver quarterly patch.
    There are already more features packed in this Alpha than any erleased triple-A by multi-billionnare publishers...

This Crytek claim is as relevant and successful that haters throwing scam... :)
    Iselinmmolou
  • JoeBloberJoeBlober Member RarePosts: 586

Wizardry said:

Is this in reality the true reason Chris never releases this game as finished?I mean perhaps he knew long ago or his lawyers told him to not release it or he may lose a lot of money in a suit.

IDK just guessing but i started to question this whole SC ordeal long ago after hearing Chris mention how little money he needed to pull this game off and how it shoudl have long been finished by now.
    How gullible are the supporters that bought into this "we have new modules"to build so we cannot release it yet as finished.

I very long ago questioned WHY this was not released and simply add on new ideas over time like EVERY game/dev have done for the last ohhhhhh 50 years.So yeah i feel it way too obvious Chris and his lawyer buddy/partner long ago had a little bit of a scheme/deceptive tactics in the works to make a load of money.

This is not correct as you missed, on purposes, scope change mid-2014 for Two ambitious Triple-A's... all from scratch with 12 guys, no pipelines, no studios at end of kickstarter.

Talking about money, you got two Triple-a for 60$ (or one for 45$) while Publishers are selling copy/paste sequels with zero ambition years after years....

Factually gamer community have suffered of Publishers scheme/deceptive tactics in the works to make a load of money without delivering much. Hence the success of SC+SQ42 with backers joining by ten thousands at every patch... right during Alpha.
    mmolou
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    edited January 2020
    Wizardry said:
    Is this in reality the true reason Chris never releases this game as finished?I mean perhaps he knew long ago or his lawyers told him to not release it or he may lose a lot of money in a suit.

IDK just guessing

but i started to question this whole SC ordeal long ago after hearing Chris mention how little money he needed to pull this game off and how it shoudl have long been finished by now.
    How gullible are the supporters that bought into this "we have new modules"to build so we cannot release it yet as finished.

I very long ago questioned WHY this was not released and simply add on new ideas over time like EVERY game/dev have done for the last ohhhhhh 50 years.So yeah i feel it way too obvious Chris and his lawyer buddy/partner long ago had a little bit of a scheme/deceptive tactics in the works to make a load of money.
    Yep you clearly don't know and are just guessing.
  • botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    edited January 2020

Vrika said:

Kalafax said:

SQ42 along with SC is prolly 2-3 years out still at this point, giving roughly a 10 year development time, which is the same as WoW had, so there is gonna be plenty of wait, and Crytek shouldn't be given a chance for a second lawsuit.

Source for WoW development time?

Roughly 10 years would mean Blizzard started developing it before Everquest 1 started development. I think you're just writing bullshit.

WOW was announced at the ETS Trade Show 2001 - It was released November 2004 giving at most 4-5 years NOT 10. I think you need to rethink your development time. I mean Blizzard even built their own game engine. Same can be said for A.Net with GW1 and GW2.

• newbismxnewbismx Member UncommonPosts: 276
    botrytis said:

Vrika said:

Kalafax said:

SQ42 along with SC is prolly 2-3 years out still at this point, giving roughly a 10 year development time, which is the same as WoW had, so there is gonna be plenty of wait, and Crytek shouldn't be given a chance for a second lawsuit.

Source for WoW development time?

Roughly 10 years would mean Blizzard started developing it before Everquest 1 started development. I think you're just writing bullshit.

WOW was announced at the ETS Trade Show 2001 - It was released November 2004 giving at most 4-5 years NOT 10. I think you need to rethink your development time. I mean Blizzard even built their own game engine. Same can be said for A.Net with GW1 and GW2.
    Once SC has been in development 15 years we will hear about how WOW took 20 years and the average is 17 years- Still putting SC well within normal dev time.
    botrytis
    I mean Tera was started in 2007 and came out in 2011 in Korea. 

I think people need to realize that the amount of money SC/SQ42 has raised and the timeline so for, several games could have been pushed out with money to spare.
    newbismx

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    They jumped the gun or didn't realise that the game would take a few years more, surely everything that went before would have given them a clue.

kitarad said:
    They jumped the gun or didn't realise that the game would take a few years more, surely everything that went before would have given them a clue.
    Well, Star Citizen was announced in 2011 and in Kickstarter in 2012 - that is 8 yrs currently with a limited alpha and no beta in sight as well as continuation of stretching the goals to move the goal posts down the road. I worked for a company that continually stretched it's goals, rather than getting out a product, the company died even with funding promised to them because they couldn't get the a 10% match in funds. People need to look at this objectively, not with a foot in the door, as many players and backers have. 

Bad management is just that, bad management.
    Arglebarglenewbismx

• hyllyhhyllyh Member UncommonPosts: 477
    always a good picture to play dart! this works perfectly
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    I love the part about Crytek emailing Amazon if CIG really has a Lumberyard/CryEngine license. Many months AFTER they initiated the trial.

Priceless !

Have fun
    Babuinix
  • BabuinixBabuinix Member EpicPosts: 4,265
    botrytis said:
    kitarad said:
    Well, Star Citizen was announced in 2011 and in Kickstarter in 2012 - that is 8 yrs currently with a limited alpha and no beta in sight as well as continuation of stretching the goals to move the goal posts down the road. I worked for a company that continually stretched it's goals, rather than getting out a product, the company died even with funding promised to them because they couldn't get the a 10% match in funds. People need to look at this objectively, not with a foot in the door, as many players and backers have. 

Wrong. All of this is wrong. :D

edited January 2020
    >>> Star Citizen was announced in 2011 >>>

Link please.

And no, its not this one. As has been discussed to death countless times.
    The 2011 date is a guess, not something Chris Roberts said:
    Roberts, Chris (October 19, 2012). "Exclusive Interview: Star Citizen's Chris Roberts" (Interview). Interviewed by Marc Scaurus.

Have fun

PS:
    What Chris Roberts said in October 2012:
    "Basically I’ve been working with a small team over the course of the past year to get the early prototyping and production done."

Some people claim that "over the past year" means 2011. Keep in mind that the interview was done in late October 2012. Draw your own conclusions what year is meant here ... 2011 or 2012.  Additionally: the small team Chris Roberts mentions is the company founded in April 2012.

• newbismxnewbismx Member UncommonPosts: 276
    Erillion said:

Link please.

Roberts, Chris (October 19, 2012). "Exclusive Interview: Star Citizen's Chris Roberts" (Interview). Interviewed by Marc Scaurus.

Have fun

PS:
    "Basically I’ve been working with a small team over the course of the past year to get the early prototyping and production done."

Some people claim that "over the past year" means 2011. Keep in mind that the interview was done in late October 2012. Draw your own conclusions what year is meant here ... 2011 or 2012.  Additionally: the small team Chris Roberts mentions is the company founded in April 2012.

You're arguing over a few months difference either way.

That aside,I am looking at this as what is available to test vs the length of time. I actually totally agree with you guys that the time it takes is really not a big issue since its better to do things right than follow a strict timetable.

The problem is, what is available is not very much- Especially for a time frame of even 5 years- Much less 8-9 or whatever... Especially when considering the manhours (more telling than actual calendar time) and ungodly sums of money thrown at development.

Something doesnt add up here-

-And I hope this turns out to be even 1/2 of what you guys think its going to be- Because I'll gladly play it... I tried the last free fly event and I've been in many alpha tests since the early 00's and this is really bad imho.

But it does look fantastic.

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,395
    Erillion said:
    I love the part about Crytek emailing Amazon if CIG really has a Lumberyard/CryEngine license. Many months AFTER they initiated the trial.

Priceless !

Have fun
    It does strike one as a failure to communicate, doesn't it....

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• fyehu43fyehu43 Member UncommonPosts: 34
    olepi said:
    Since Star Citizen has no sellable product, and has gotten no income from sales, I wonder what the claim for damages is based on?
    Good point, can't wait to see what they half haphazardly scramble up at a moments notice.

Erillion said:

Link please.

Have fun

PS:

You folks do love to say that a year doesn't mean a year.   Though  the early CIG guys often wanted to present themselves as having worked on it longer.  So the start date referenced varied depending on the need of the particular media environment.  Probably why you folks want to dismiss all these earlier statements now.  Note the 'Chris worked so hard' reference below, when the early trailer work was mostly done by Crytek.  

"Based on our experiences, we decided early on that, just as in the film world, our games project needed to be sufficiently advanced and prepared before we could take it out to "the market," i.e., the interested gamer community. Consequently, Chris spent over a year building the game's backstory and creating a prototype in CryEngine that could be presented at campaign launch. Using our own funds, we engaged a small group of writers, designers, and engineers to assist in this process. Rather than opting for the Kickstarter site, we created our own platform to establish a frictionless, direct relationship with the interested community. This allowed us also to fine tune our Terms of Use for a favorable legal and tax treatment."

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2014-06-23-how-indie-film-financing-could-shape-the-future-of-games

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

edited January 2020
    >>>>You folks do love to say that a year doesn't mean a year. >>>

Nope. I say: "Here are the facts. Decide for yourself."

>>>> when the early trailer work was mostly done by Crytek.  >>>>

"mostly done" .... says Crytek.

Which I believe as much as I can throw the USS Eisenhower.
    Crytek ...the ones who sued CIG because they need money badly.
    Crytek ... the ones that the judge told to pay a 500k$ deposit because their solvency was ambigous.
    Crytek was involved, yes.  Most likely the engineers that later moved to CIG.
    Because Crytek was not very good in paying its programmers on time back then.

When it comes to "working on the backstory" i guess Chris Roberts was working on THAT ever since Freelancer in 2003.

Have fun

Babuinix said:
    botrytis said:
    kitarad said:

NO - that is based on Kickstater itself. 

The comments on bad management is from experience. A person that is great with ideas and dreams may not be a good manager. Two totally different types of people.

It is always good to be declarative, that means no on can discuss with you. Goes right to the heart of fan-boi's.

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    botrytis said:
    Babuinix said:
    botrytis said:
    kitarad said:

NO - that is based on Kickstater itself. 

The comments on bad management is from experience. A person that is great with ideas and dreams may not be a good manager. Two totally different types of people.

It is always good to be declarative, that means no on can discuss with you. Goes right to the heart of fan-boi's.
    Bad maths is just bad maths.

As far as continuation of stretching the goals they finished at the end of 2014. which is based on the kick starter. Bad facts is just bad facts.

As for people "looking" at star Citizen objectively - why? They should "try" the "limited alpha" and make their own mind up. No need to look. 

And to get to were they are - well good management is just that, good management. Doesn't mean perfect but certainly not bad. 

And that is just my opinion but when it comes to e.g. setting up projects across multiple continents or managing multiple teams across multiple continents and countries I have been there. Juggling development whilst raising funding as well. 

Just my opinion though.

And at the end of the day they are were they are. And people can try the "limited alpha" that you talk about. And have been able to since end 2016 - just 2 years after the final kick starter goal was reached.

Just 2 years. Maths is maths!
    alkarionlogbotrytis
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    Erillion said:

Crytek ... the ones that the judge told to pay a 500k$ deposit because their solvency was ambigous.

You don't need to pay deposit because your ability to pay is ambiguous. There isn't any check "you must be this rich or you aren't allowed a trial".

Deposit is used to ascertain that money the court already knew Crytek had was placed so that it'd be under court's jurisdiction. It's often important to make sure of that when a foreign company is suing.

• NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
    Schwaiger said:
    This game will be nothing more than a p2w Garbage Cow in the end, don't be a fool and waste your money. they have enough already, with little to show for it.
    The cash shop is the only thing fully implemented and working correctly inre SC. Think about that.
    newbismx
    To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • barasawabarasawa Member UncommonPosts: 618
    edited January 2020
    Here's another tidbit to add to the whole thing. 
    Feel free to watch the entire video, but  I bookmarked this link to a specific part that's listing so much stuff that's already gone out the window for Crytek. 
    Yes, the video is mostly a lawyer reading the document with his own commentary on it.

[Edit: I posted this and saw someone else posted a link to the same video just before me.  :p  That's ok, I've linked to a specific point that might be of high interest to readers of this thread, so it's all good.]

[Further edit: For some bloody reason the darned thing won't go to the correct timestamp from this link. Ok, jump to around 32:30 for the list I was mentioning, as well as a bit of text just prior.]

Lost my mind, now trying to lose yours...

Erillion said:
    >>>>You folks do love to say that a year doesn't mean a year. >>>

Nope. I say: "Here are the facts. Decide for yourself."

>>>> when the early trailer work was mostly done by Crytek.  >>>>

"mostly done" .... says Crytek.

Which I believe as much as I can throw the USS Eisenhower.
    Crytek ...the ones who sued CIG because they need money badly.
    Crytek was involved, yes.  Most likely the engineers that later moved to CIG.
    Because Crytek was not very good in paying its programmers on time back then.

When it comes to "working on the backstory" i guess Chris Roberts was working on THAT ever since Freelancer in 2003.

Have fun

What part of  "Chris spent over a year building the game's backstory and creating a prototype in CryEngine that could be presented at campaign launch." did you not understand?   This obviously references a 2011 start.

Now where they lying?  Yah, probably.  I think they do that a lot.  But they absolutely referenced a 2011 start, back when they thought it would sound cool.  Nowadays, that gets swept under the rug.  Like so many of their previous failed pronouncements.

edited January 2020
    >>> This obviously references a 2011 start. >>>

Creating the backstory most likely started in 2003. On a napkin or something like that.

Personally I think the bulk of the programming work for the prototype was done in 2012, because the company doing that programming was founded no sooner than April 2012.  That April 2012 date is a verifiable fact.

So .. what you declare "obvious" is just your personal opinion. Other people have other opinions. Opinions based more on verifiable facts than speculation and guesswork.

Have fun
    I had time to read IN DETAIL the newest court documents and watch Leonard Frenchs' video (comments from a professional lawyer).

I had previously underestimated the hilarious comedy value of CIGs response to Crytek and the language used therein, as CIG meticulously and with gusto dissects Cryteks attempt to bug out without prejudice out of the trial Crytek themselves has started, and without losing their 500.000 $ bond (which the judge has already reduced from CIG initial 2+ M$ estimate because Crytek was in financial problems ... AGAIN !).

CIGs' analogy "Crytek crashes car into storefront, do donuts for 2 years, back out, circle the block, waiting for another go" is priceless ;-D

And it is just one of many linguistic gems. ("....Crytek files the Kitchen Sink ... ")

One can really hear the mirth in CIGs' lawyers language as he delivers punches again and again. The list of Cryteks failed (or plain false) claims that goes on for pages - all but two having already been dismissed by court and judge .... grab some popcorn for that! "The chart above recounts the lamentable trail of Crytek’s litany of meritless claims."

And the coup de grace - Amazons mail response to Crytek
    (Timestamp 19:37 in the Leonard French video).
    (Crytek learns from Amazon that CIG acquired broader rights to  CryEngine than Crytek thought ...1.5 YEARS into the case ;-D 
    "What Crytek did not know" (because they did not ask ;-) before) "is that the license also included rights to prior versions of CryEngine itself, rights which Amazon granted in order to minimize the engineering time it would take CIG to migrate to Lumberyard."

(with the icing on the cake that Cryteks "big name" international law firm Skadden Arps has already buggered off because they know whats coming ;-D )

What an entertaining read !!

Have fun