Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My most anticipated VR titles for the first quarter of 2020

2»

Comments

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180

I think Dave and Busters use HTC Vives, which are also notoriously front heavy and uncomfortable. I think the Vive Pro addressed this but is also very expensive. You can buy those treadmills, but they are pretty costly.

Never heard of AR totems. Sounds neat but I couldn't find a lot of them. I am interested in how much customization Horizon will allow. Will people be able to make objects in Medium and use/sell them in a virtual world?
    Yeah, they do use Vives at D&B. Still pretty cool though. 

I haven't seen too much on totems, but I've seen a few articles on them. They are still in development, but Magic Leap is one of the companies that came up with the terminology on real world totems. 

They have a few different functions, but when I run a search on it, they only show the released Totem Pole, which is a type of controller that released alongside the development edition.  

The premise was for users to create their own totems, and place them in the world, and they would just, be those things.  Like you could set a totem to be a keyboard everytime you looked at your desk or something like that.  You could also set totems as a function, like looking at a picture of someone long enough would automatically call them or something.  

It would be cool to have the same features in VR, and VR kind of does that to a degree. If only there was a unified platform so VR and AR could share those kinds of features because they are both pretty similar in function. 

Heres the patent documentation describing totems and other things that were planned but haven't been released entirely yet. 

https://www.wired.com/2015/01/magic-leaps-vision-for-virtual-reality/

ultimateduck

• ultimateduckultimateduck Member EpicPosts: 1,269
    I don't think Magic Leap is doing well, maybe because their focus is counter to what AR is better suited for.

While AR and VR are kind of in the same realm, I think they will go completely different directions in terms of common use. One is clearly a mobile device and will be used as more of a HUD than gaming system. While I'm sure games will be available, much like cell phones, I don't see gaming as a primary function.

Since VR replaces the world with a whole new world, it stands to reason it being used for more immersive/entertaining applications. While it may be used for things like architecture or engineering, I think it will be most commonly used for gaming.

I just hope someone makes an actual AAA MMO, even make an existing MMO VR capable. I would resub to WoW in a heartbeat of they made it so I could play it on VR.
    Asm0deus
  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    I don't think Magic Leap is doing well, maybe because their focus is counter to what AR is better suited for.

While AR and VR are kind of in the same realm, I think they will go completely different directions in terms of common use. One is clearly a mobile device and will be used as more of a HUD than gaming system. While I'm sure games will be available, much like cell phones, I don't see gaming as a primary function.

Since VR replaces the world with a whole new world, it stands to reason it being used for more immersive/entertaining applications. While it may be used for things like architecture or engineering, I think it will be most commonly used for gaming.

I just hope someone makes an actual AAA MMO, even make an existing MMO VR capable. I would resub to WoW in a heartbeat of they made it so I could play it on VR.
    Magic leap isn't doing well, simply because they over promised and underdelivered on the product at the moment.  If they can stay the course, it might turn into a great system, but right now. they're pretty much on par with where Hololens is, despite being completely different in form. 

Other manufacturers are coming up with different sets that are meant to be closer to what consumers can afford.  It's going to be the difference between like.. an Apple watch and a 20 dollar smartwatch on amazon. They can both do some neat features, but you'd only really trust one to have advanced features that will actually work. 

Hololens has so many cool things that you can do.. but we're a good 3 years off at least from a workable set with a library that people will actually care about. In the meantime we have other AR HMDs that will be similar to what google glass was.. 

We'll see.. hopefully VR gets much better in that time too.  

Here are those VR goggles though. They're pretty cool looking

https://uploadvr.com/panasonic-vr-goggles-ces-2020/
    ultimateduck

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,407
    edited January 2020
    Asm0deus said:

There better things coming than those "threadmill" type harnes get ups for movement in VR. You can strap sensors to your ankles and thighs to simulate running and walking which you do by either walking in play or running in place.

Things like walkovr, nalo and cybershoes.

OMFG that looks exhausting. I thought the face pad got sweaty with my wife playing Beat Saber for an hour. I also imagine it would be quite easy to loose your center and punch your desk or run in to a wall, especially playing Skyrim.

Haha well obviously if you are doing standing up VR you are not doing it front of your desk but rather in a space set up for  standing VR same like as if you have a simpit it not in your living room etc.

Stand up VR like this needs a space like in the places where you can play VR by the hour and obviously with enough room so you can swing your arms freely and take a couple steps in any direction with a system in place that holds the wires so they dangle down from the ceiling with the guardian borders set up right. 

The kid in the video made the space a little tight for my tastes but he seems to be making it work for him!

Personally I think them esports people might think twice about calling themselves "athletes" if this was how they had to play!
    :D
    ultimateduck

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• ultimateduckultimateduck Member EpicPosts: 1,269
    Asm0deus said:
    Asm0deus said:

There better things coming than those "threadmill" type harnes get ups for movement in VR. You can strap sensors to your ankles and thighs to simulate running and walking which you do by either walking in play or running in place.

OMFG that looks exhausting. I thought the face pad got sweaty with my wife playing Beat Saber for an hour. I also imagine it would be quite easy to loose your center and punch your desk or run in to a wall, especially playing Skyrim.

Haha well obviously if you are doing standing up VR you are not doing it front of your desk but rather in a space set up for  standing VR same like as if you have a simpit it not in your living room etc.

Stand up VR like this needs a space like in the places where you can play VR by the hour and obviously with enough room so you can swing your arms freely and take a couple steps in any direction with a system in place that holds the wires so they dangle down from the ceiling with the guardian borders set up right.

Personally I think them esports people might think twice about calling themselves "athletes" if this was how they had to play!

We have a 15x15 VR room with the cable hanging from a bungee setup on the ceiling. We have room, but damn...
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,407
    edited January 2020
    Asm0deus said:
    Asm0deus said:

We have a 15x15 VR room with the cable hanging from a bungee setup on the ceiling. We have room, but damn...

Cool, now you can get fit or fitter while playing!

btw those panasonic VR goggles look interesting but damn I don't see how they can get a decent FOV with those unless they have made some major break through.
    ultimateduck

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.