Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Celebrity Wizard Death Match

AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
Merlin v. Gandalf v. Dumbledore

Who wins?

I'm going with Gandalf, because he defeated the Balrog. Not an easy fight, to be sure. 

What say You? Feel free to add the name of some other famous wizard.

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

AlBQuirky[Deleted User]AsheramScot

Comments

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    Gandalf the White or Gandalf the Gray?

I think Gandalf the White would win, but if it's just Gandalf the Gray then Dumbledore would win.

Does allomancy qualify as magic? I add Vin from Mistborn.
    [Deleted User]cheyaneWalkinGlenn

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    lol you mean as they deeds? then dumbledoore should never be here, in harrypotter they need they wands to do magic, that is a huge limiting factor who amke any wizard on this setting weak and easy to be dealty with

merlin could do magic with his hands, also it was said merlin had the basic for all mages so possible he could have some huge magic to launch, gandalf is kinda a problem he is powefull but in a direct combat not that usefull

so the main issue would be the combat, they had preparations and could attack any time and anywhere or it was a direct combat?
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Sharne said:

Merlin, simply because there are thousands of different portrayals of him to choose from, unlike Gandalf and Dumbledore. Simon R Greens Nightside version of him would have killed both of them without breaking a sweat
    Maybe I should have listed Morgan le Fay, though she is more a witch, sorceress, or enchantress I suppose.

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    I think I'd rather watch the undercard.  When is the big Rincewind vs. Snape vs. Radagast three-way duel?  More importantly, how is the WWE missing out on this angle?  Wait! Thoth Amon the Stygian appeared from nowhere and is blasting Radagast with the Fires of Set!

[Deleted User]AlBQuirkyPo_gg

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    Raistlin Majere
    [Deleted User]
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Um Elminster?
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • vegetableoilvegetableoil Member RarePosts: 768
    I'm having hard time to compare all imaginary magicians lol. I'll say David Copperfield XD
    AsheramAlBQuirky
  • EthicZHEthicZH Newbie CommonPosts: 11
    Didn't Dumbledor have the OP wand?
    He could do it I believe, if he uses that forbidden spell tho, else Gandalf probably.
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    No matter who wins, Merlin knows in advance!
    Asheram

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    As does Raistlin Majere Master of Time Past and Present
    AlBQuirky
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Mendel said:
    I think I'd rather watch the undercard.  When is the big Rincewind vs. Snape vs. Radagast three-way duel?  More importantly, how is the WWE missing out on this angle?  Wait! Thoth Amon the Stygian appeared from nowhere and is blasting Radagast with the Fires of Set!
    Based on the mere and boring technicalities Radagast (and in the OP) Gandalf would be the obvious winners, since they're both Maia, and with that immortal, etc. etc.

But man I'd so root for Rincewind :)
    AlBQuirky
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101
    edited January 2020
    Sharne said:
    Merlin, simply because there are thousands of different portrayals of him to choose from, unlike Gandalf and Dumbledore. Simon R Greens Nightside version of him would have killed both of them without breaking a sweat
    Lovely that you mentioned Nightside. Wonderful series.

Asheram
    said:
    As does Raistlin Majere Master of Time Past and Present
    Good choice too

Vrika said:
    Gandalf the White or Gandalf the Gray?

I think Gandalf the White would win, but if it's just Gandalf the Gray then Dumbledore would win.

Does allomancy qualify as magic? I add Vin from Mistborn.

Vin was awesome
    Asheramkitarad[Deleted User]AlBQuirky
    Chamber of Chains
  • PutrefeePutrefee Member UncommonPosts: 46
    Hard to kill an immortal, unless you are the creators champion, Rand "The Dragon" Al'Thor. (Sanderson version, not Jordan's)
    AlBQuirky
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Sharne said:
    Don't forget the Merlin in Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court! Absolutely hilarious.

"Somehow, every time the magic of fol-de-rol tried conclusions with the magic of science, the magic of fol-de-rol got left."
    [Deleted User]AlBQuirky

• mmoloummolou Member UncommonPosts: 256
    lol you mean as they deeds? then dumbledoore should never be here, in harrypotter they need they wands to do magic, that is a huge limiting factor who amke any wizard on this setting weak and easy to be dealty with

merlin could do magic with his hands, also it was said merlin had the basic for all mages so possible he could have some huge magic to launch, gandalf is kinda a problem he is powefull but in a direct combat not that usefull

so the main issue would be the combat, they had preparations and could attack any time and anywhere or it was a direct combat?
    Gandalf could duel wield a staff (two handed weapon) and a sword (one handed weapon), clearly awesome in terms of direct combat.

Out of the three, I think Gandalf takes it.
    AlBQuirky
    It is a funny world we live in.
    We had Empires run by Emperors, we had Kingdoms run by Kings, now we have Countries...
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Pug can take all 3 at once.
    AlBQuirky
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

edited January 2020
    Iselin said:
    Not if they take Bill's advice, don't let a bad pug take you down.
    :D

(ok, Bill's original phrase uses get instead of take, but this way the reply is better...)
    IselinAlBQuirky
  • fyehu43fyehu43 Member UncommonPosts: 34
    Depends what kind of Gandalf?

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,990
    Not sure who would win but Rhialto the Marvellous versus Ildefonse, Fiona versus Mandor, Mustrum Ridcully versus Rincewind. Taken from three great fantasy worlds, well done if you knew any of them; Dying Earth, Chronicles of Amber, Discworld.
    Po_gg
    Po_gg said:
    Iselin said:
    Not if they take Bill's advice, don't let a bad pug take you down.
    :D

(ok, Bill's original phrase uses get instead of take, but this way the reply is better...)
    This is a time I wish we had ROTFLMOA emoji. You had me truly doing this :lol:

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

I will go with the unpopular opinion and say Dumbledore. At least in the Harry Potter movies, he was casting some incredibly powerful spells (e.g. Dumbledore vs Voldemort fight, Dumbledore and Harry fighting undead when seeking Horcruxes, Dumbledore’s teleportation transportation, etc.).

I mean Gandalf in comparison was pretty much just a melee battlemage fighting with a sword and staff with spells being mostly just a supplementary element in his fights.

I know the least about Merlin and I would have to judge him based on the Excalibur film where he also didnt do that much.

This is just based on my superficial knowledge of these characters :). There is a good chance I am plain wrong.
    Well, if Mages/Wizards are glass cannons like in many video games, "IN YOUR FACE!" may be just the ticket for a win :)
    [Deleted User]Scot

- Al

- FARGIN_WAR

Scot said:
    Fiona versus Mandor
    Great to see an another familiar with Amber :+1:  bonus point for Mandor instead of Merlin, let's not confuse the fans of arthurian Merlin - not to mention what if they're the very same? :)

The duel is a tough one, I'd pick Fiona only because I like her more.
    Scot
    edited January 2020
    Po_gg said:
    Scot said:
    Fiona versus Mandor
    Great to see an another familiar with Amber :+1:  bonus point for Mandor instead of Merlin, let's not confuse the fans of arthurian Merlin - not to mention what if they're the very same? :)

The duel is a tough one, I'd pick Fiona only because I like her more.
    Well as a potential romance was on the cards for those two, I think it would be one of those fight then love story clichés.
    Po_gg
    edited January 2020
    Scot said:
    Well as a potential romance was on the cards for those two, I think it would be one of those fight then love story clichés.
    On the cards... good one :) 
    To their luck both Courts were really "open" with that among relatives, just as age difference - not that 20-30 years here or there would matter for people who live for centuries easily, or more...

In the tabletop rpg the players are all (by the rules) the offsprings of key characters, or (by custom ruleset) just somewhere down the bloodline but still a relative, otherwise you couldn't have access to the Pattern/Logrus.

ed: and before derailing the thread, some on-topic addition: I'd throw Caliburn into the mix, I guess he wasn't mentioned yet. He's the top sorcerer in Champions - and with it CO as well, since we're on an mmorpg forum.

Kinda like Strange for Marvel, except he wasn't bringing useless surgical knowledge from his past, but his military expertise. Picture an archmage, with firearms as well for those non-magical situations....
    (hey, Champions always had a certain genre-mocking undertone :) )
    Po_gg said:
    Scot said:
    On the cards... good one :) 
    To their luck both Courts were really "open" with that among relatives, just as age difference - not that 20-30 years here or there would matter for people who live for centuries easily, or more...

In the tabletop rpg the players are all (by the rules) the offsprings of key characters, or (by custom ruleset) just somewhere down the bloodline but still a relative, otherwise you couldn't have access to the Pattern/Logrus.

ed: and before derailing the thread, some on-topic addition: I'd throw Caliburn into the mix, I guess he wasn't mentioned yet. He's the top sorcerer in Champions - and with it CO as well, since we're on an mmorpg forum.

Kinda like Strange for Marvel, except he wasn't bringing useless surgical knowledge from his past, but his military expertise. Picture an archmage, with firearms as well for those non-magical situations....
    (hey, Champions always had a certain genre-mocking undertone :) )
    I never got into Champions, but had a good time in CO, just not up to CoH was its only negative issue. Strange versus The Enchantress, there's one for you indeed it may have already been done in the comics. DC's Zantana versus Doctor Fate would be another.

I am impressed you got "on the cards" btw. :)