Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

p2w .. so much fun!

nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
Wow .. this place is still around. I thought no one plays MMORPGs anymore.

Anyone here plays mobile gacha games (like Marvel Strike Force). I never saw a game with so much p2w but so much free fun. 

Fun #1: just consume their content for free. There are so many gachas with such polished to put most MMOs to shame.

Fun #2: LIttle commitment .. a battle is as short as <5 min. You can even autoplay it. The game is only part tactical combat .. these are mostly resources management games (team building and who to level up) .. so they let you turn off combat.

Fun #3: so much streaming content. Lots of whales talk about whaling on youtube completely without shame. It is as entertaining to see Khasino (look him up!) talking about spending $18,000 (yes, eighteen THOUSAND dollars) on a mobile game. 

Fun #4: there are so so many games like this out there that if i consumer a game a week for free, i will still have years of fun.

Paying and playing for one MMO sounds so .. pedestrian now. 
cameltosisPhaserlightIsilithTehroth

Comments

• CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    Wow .. this place is still around. I thought no one plays MMORPGs anymore.

Anyone here plays mobile gacha games (like Marvel Strike Force). I never saw a game with so much p2w but so much free fun. 

Fun #1: just consume their content for free. There are so many gachas with such polished to put most MMOs to shame.

Fun #2: LIttle commitment .. a battle is as short as <5 min. You can even autoplay it. The game is only part tactical combat .. these are mostly resources management games (team building and who to level up) .. so they let you turn off combat.

Fun #3: so much streaming content. Lots of whales talk about whaling on youtube completely without shame. It is as entertaining to see Khasino (look him up!) talking about spending $18,000 (yes, eighteen THOUSAND dollars) on a mobile game. 

Fun #4: there are so so many games like this out there that if i consumer a game a week for free, i will still have years of fun.

My problem with mobile games isn't the P2W issue which isn't my problem to begin with, it's the shitty game design behind a P2W game. 

Also, kudos to someone spending 18k on a mobile game, most likely they make serious coin and don't mind spending that much. 

That's the thing, people may blast someone for spending 18k on a game, but if they can, then good for them. It's only the people that go into credit card debt to do it that is a problem. 

Plus, if you buy an 80k car that basically means that you spent 40-50k more than you had to for a status symbol. A 30k car is more than good enough. Get a used juiced up toyota camry and you're good :)
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    edited January 2020
    DMKano said:
    Not sure what point you are trying to make.

The original false flag. Is OK, many here (including me) haven't played a MMORPG for years,  much less paid a sub for one.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505

Watching people play and overspend in Gatcha Games, sounds so...what is the word I'm looking for? 

Pathetic? Something like that.

:D 
    Rinswind89Phaserlight

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,107
    edited January 2020
    You fucking fought for P2W.... you fought for YEARS for P2W games. WE ALL WARNED YOU. Now you are crying about it? Seriously Narius, GFY. 

Seriously guys, look at his posts a couple years back. He argued constantly how F2P was sooooo amazing. Now hes whining. He has NO RIGHT to say ANYTHING.

Also, Marvel Strike Force isn't an MMO and has no place here. Then again this bozo has never from day one been able to grasp what MMO is. He thinks its 16 players....
    NorseGodnewbismxCryomatrix
  • moshramoshra Member RarePosts: 400
    madazz said:
    You fucking fought for P2W.... you fought for YEARS for P2W games. WE ALL WARNED YOU. Now you are crying about it? Seriously Narius, GFY. 

Seriously guys, look at his posts a couple years back. He argued constantly how F2P was sooooo amazing. Now hes whining. He has NO RIGHT to say ANYTHING.

Also, Marvel Strike Force isn't an MMO and has no place here. Then again this bozo has never from day one been able to grasp what MMO is. He thinks its 16 players....

Those aren't real f2p games though.  If someone would just create a f2p game properly it would be awesome right?    RIGHT?!!?!

NorseGod
  • Lark3mLark3m Member UncommonPosts: 48
    moshra said:
    madazz said:

Those aren't real f2p games though.  If someone would just create a f2p game properly it would be awesome right?    RIGHT?!!?!

What's a "real" f2p game? All content available? no cash shop?

Secret World Legends maybe be lighter on content than the previous incarnation but that's all free. Warframe? only squad-based so probably in the same boat as SWL (which also has very few people together at one time in the same place, even in the hub area) but it can be played without paying a cent.

If we're talking M(assively)morpg then EVE? Albion? Lineage 2? Before you grill me about the first 2 having that premium sub, It's possible to grind out the required currency to purchase and maintain said sub with in-game currency as long as you have the time. What requirements are those games not hitting?

This is genuine curiosity, not me trying to be an ass.
  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    I play a lot of mobile games. Pay 2 Win aspects are really dependent on how you define it, and some aren't pay 2 win at all. 

In MMO's people believe that XP potions aren't pay 2 win because all it does is have you advance faster. Mobile games in general are mostly selling the ability to advance faster, because otherwise, you have to wait to level your characters/obtain characters you want.  

More than half the time whether you spend money or not, you aren't even guaranteed characters. That's RNG for you, and most often they require that you get multiples of the same characters to continue progression.

I'm never averse to spending money on a game, mobile or not, if I like it...  I stopped playing Marvel Strike Force because it was boring.  I have more fun in Marvel Puzzle Quest.. it's more active, even if the "leveling curve" is way steeper. 

Right now I'm playing a couple games,  Endless Abyss is one that takes up the majority of my time though.  It's not pay 2 win, though, paying certainly helps you advance much faster... but the costs are pretty high. Luckily they have an ad supported option, if you want additional rewards, you watch a 10 - 15 second ad to obtain it at the time.  It's a cool card-based RPG, and unlike many other games, it's one I haven't had to spend money on yet, and I can play it for as long as I want.

I find myself playing it even when I'm home and have access to my PC's and Consoles.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Narius is rusty. He used to be much better at baiting.... /yawn.
    laseritShaigh
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    OP spends money on kids gatcha games, feels weird about it so comes here to talk about youtubers who play gatcha games.
  • ultimateduckultimateduck Member EpicPosts: 1,269
    I think the people who play (or want to play) MMO(RPG)s want more from a game than what a mobile game, or even a console game, can give.
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,164
    When I saw the title I thought this was gonna be a delete5230 thread.
    ultimateduck
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,107
    moshra said:
    madazz said:

Several of us explained to you years ago that an MMO cannot live off of free2play. No one is going to be able to keep an MMO alive with purely cosmetic purchases. Cosmetic purchases are also anti-MMORPG. You should be able to earn EVERYTHING in game as per the RPG portion. MMO's cost a lot more than games like Path of Exile to run. Its a lot more expensive to obtain a server that hosts hundreds of players together in a single shared reality than one that hosts several small instances. 

You were warned and this is what you get.

I don't hate to say it but i told you so! Now here you are years later.
  • NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
    edited January 2020
    Tiller said:
    When I saw the title I thought this was gonna be a delete5230 thread.
    It was worse than you thought. I literally had to read his name twice because I can't believe he's posting here after all the f2p spam he did back in the day and was wrong about all of it.

Between him and the SC marketing shills, I don't think my account will survive.
    To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,768
    edited January 2020
    I think you aren't using the right term for fun here. 

The problem with Mobile games isn't just the P2W nature of them. It's more of the fact that a majority of them have the same loop. Especially the F2P games. 

You start the game, it throws a bunch of crap at you for "free" so that you feel like you are getting more. Then you start the process of drawing characters for a party. Then you go from stage to stage letting your party auto attack things until they die, and repeat. Until you unlock the next part! PvP! OH BOY! Which turns out to just be a choice of who you want to fight in a list of 5-10 players that you see their power levels, then you go through the same auto attack ritual while hoping your team wins. All of this until you hit the stage or labrynth or whatever the progression is, that you absolutely cannot win with your current party. Then becomes the game trying to milk just 5 dollars out of you so you can try your luck at drawing over and over to hope you get that better character that will get you out of that crappy stage. 

If they had a better gameplay loop or actual gameplay that wasn't just auto attacking and hoping a shiny rare drop happens, they might be better to play. I've played a lot of them mindlessly while watching movies and such just to see if they would get any better. Sometimes they are okay, like Fire Emblem, or Clash Royale (which does play quite differently but still has massive P2W), but a majority of F2P phone games are just constant streams of them trying to get you to buy some pack of whatever the hell that you ONLY HAVE 24 HOURS TO BUY OR IT WILL BE GONE FOREVER SO BUY NOW. 

I hate mobile gaming. 
  • AAAMEOWAAAMEOW Member RarePosts: 1,605
    I think the people who play (or want to play) MMO(RPG)s want more from a game than what a mobile game, or even a console game, can give.
    I don't know about MMORPG, but the market share for gaming is mobile > console > pc.
    AAAMEOW said:
    I don't know about MMORPG, but the market share for gaming is mobile > console > pc.

According to "the market", McDonalds makes a better hamburger than In N Out. Some people want more from their burger than cheap, easy and convenient. Personally, I would drive a few extra miles and pay a few extra bucks for a good burger. I haven't had a McDonalds burger in decades.
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
         ahh we have a
    Image result for troll images

Plz do not feed it
    ultimateduckKyleran
  • UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    AAAMEOW said:

According to "the market", McDonalds makes a better hamburger than In N Out. Some people want more from their burger than cheap, easy and convenient. Personally, I would drive a few extra miles and pay a few extra bucks for a good burger. I haven't had a McDonalds burger in decades.
    In N Out is "cheap, easy and convenient" though. That's the whole point of In N Out.
    ultimateduck
  • GutlardGutlard Member RarePosts: 1,019
    Way too many peeps spend way to much $$ on mobile gaming for it to go away though, or for its mechanics to not try their hardest to creep into all of gaming.

It's definitely convenient also, but I've always hated playing on small screens, and only do it when I MUST get my gaming fix away from my gear.

I just don't understand the concept of paying around gameplay, which is like idk the main draw of a game.

But other peeps did, which is why they're billionaires and I'm here.

Gut Out!
    KyleranNorseGod

What, me worry?

• NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
    Gutlard said:
    Way too many peeps spend way to much $$ on mobile gaming for it to go away though, or for its mechanics to not try their hardest to creep into all of gaming.

It's definitely convenient also, but I've always hated playing on small screens, and only do it when I MUST get my gaming fix away from my gear.

I just don't understand the concept of paying around gameplay, which is like idk the main draw of a game.

But other peeps did, which is why they're billionaires and I'm here.

Gut Out!
    Interesting way of thinking about that.

"Our game play sucks, so buy this <insert cash shop item> to avoid it."
    To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
    Utinni said:
    AAAMEOW said:

In N Out is "cheap, easy and convenient" though. That's the whole point of In N Out.

Depends where you live. There are far more McDonalds than there are In N Out burgers... and it was just an example. We don't have them where I live. I'd much rather have 5 Guys, and I pass two McDonalds and a Wendys on the way to my nearest 5 Guys.
    laserit
  • BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    Utinni said:
    AAAMEOW said:

Depends where you live. There are far more McDonalds than there are In N Out burgers... and it was just an example. We don't have them where I live. I'd much rather have 5 Guys, and I pass two McDonalds and a Wendys on the way to my nearest 5 Guys.
    You just like one trash food over another trash food.
    ultimateduck
    Utinni said:
    AAAMEOW said:

Depends on how you're defining "trash food". Fast casual restaurants aren't "trash" and neither are fast food restaurants. Some people have preferences over which ones they rather consume... but unless you're eating a Michelin Starred restaurants for every meal, there's a good chance that whatever you like would be considered "trash food" by someone else. 

Lest we not forget, Lobster used to be a peasant dish. 

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    Utinni said:
    AAAMEOW said:

Depends on how you're defining "trash food". Fast casual restaurants aren't "trash" and neither are fast food restaurants. Some people have preferences over which ones they rather consume... but unless you're eating a Michelin Starred restaurants for every meal, there's a good chance that whatever you like would be considered "trash food" by someone else. 

Which is the point.
    maskedweasel
    Utinni said:
    AAAMEOW said:

Which is the point.
    Oh.. then.. bravo. I didn't follow the conversation, I just talk about food.