Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What to play?

GorweGorwe Member EpicPosts: 6,390
edited January 12 in General Gaming
Right, so I finished Sekiro for good. A bloody awesome game, goes straight to my list of favorites alongsides Nioh etc. But now I'm left with a conundrum:

What to play?

I thought of trying Total Warhammer, but...look, I love Warhammer(like that's anything new ; except that one crisis period), but...I'm not certain about Total War part. I generally play strategies for their campaigns and random crap skirmishes vs AI ; how good is the TWH at that?

Alternatively, I could replay my good old Age of Empires memories through DE titles. That ought to be good. The thing is:

I feel like I should try something new, but I'm uneasy about new. Idk what came over me, I started disliking changes in the last two years or so. Must be all the accumulated pain(...derp Guild Wars!) effect of all the Hobbitses and The Last Jedis and WB DC movies(except Wonder Woman and before Aquaman) and Zakuul and...THE SHIT TIMES + AGE OF SHITMAR(honestly, it's an ok setting, but destroy old WHFB for this? Fuck off)!

Thanks!
AlBQuirky

Comments

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 5,714
    With my aversion to new games, I'd suggest the old tried and true games. I know your indecision, though. I keep going back to games I've played many multiple times instead of going for a new game.

But I'm just an old fuddy duddy. "GET OFF MY LAWN!"
    GorweAmathe

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

(And now Burger King has MEATLESS burgers!)

• TillerTiller Member EpicPosts: 8,432
    Maybe go try some classic games you've never played, but heard were good.
    Gorwe
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 6,978
    Ive spent most of my time the past 2 weeks in the Hunter Call of the Wild..

Fishing Sim World ...

Both top notch games if you enjoy Hunting or Fishing ....

Gorwe
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 3,057
    If you haven’t, go play Monster Hunter World. Really, you might fall in love with it hopelessly.

/Cheerz,
    Lahnmir
    Gorwe
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...
  • UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 1,423
    Since you mentioned you played RTS games for their campaigns mostly definitely try Starcraft 2 if you haven't yet. It's likely that you have by now, but if you haven't its still the best RTS campaigns ever. First one is 100% free also.
    Gorwe
  • AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 3,955
    I would keep an eye on Mount & Blade Bannerlord releasing into ea in march. The single player looks like its going to be pretty good.
    Gorwe
  • GorweGorwe Member EpicPosts: 6,390
    Tiller said:
    Maybe go try some classic games you've never played, but heard were good.
    That's exactly why I wabt(ed) to try Total Warhammer. But my...weird issues with "new" are keeping my away. Look, I can't play MTG:Forge and other classics forever! As much as I love Esper, there is a fine line lol.

lahnmir said:
    If you haven’t, go play Monster Hunter World. Really, you might fall in love with it hopelessly.

/Cheerz,
    Lahnmir
    Any reason why you say this?

Utinni said:
    Since you mentioned you played RTS games for their campaigns mostly definitely try Starcraft 2 if you haven't yet. It's likely that you have by now, but if you haven't its still the best RTS campaigns ever. First one is 100% free also.
    Of course I have, what am I, a Bretonnian pleb? They were very fun and creative even if they have...lost their way story wise(imo). They went too "bayformers aka badass mc cool" route and I especially don't like the the last three missions, they are completely non canon imo.

Asheram said:
    I would keep an eye on Mount & Blade Bannerlord releasing into ea in march. The single player looks like its going to be pretty good.
    Yeah, thanks for bringing this to attention. I'm currently waiting for Warcraft 3 Reforged(and Nioh 2 and Squadron...whatever the number is from SC). I've realized that I don't care about online stuff except convenience like chat and in game auction house. The first I can circumvent via forums and the second...tbh only games with rng loot(which I don't really like) need it. That was one of my biggest problems with Anthem. Always Online for next to no payoff - fun game though.
    Asheram
  • frostymugfrostymug Member RarePosts: 632
    I am also a huge fan of Warhammer Fantasy. I would suggest getting one of the demos for a total war game on steam and trying it out. There isn't one for Warhammer, but you can play one of the others to see how the campaign vs real time battles plays out for you. Just imagine it with more magic and the badass knob cranked to 11.
    Gorwe
    frostymug said:
    I am also a huge fan of Warhammer Fantasy. I would suggest getting one of the demos for a total war game on steam and trying it out. There isn't one for Warhammer, but you can play one of the others to see how the campaign vs real time battles plays out for you. Just imagine it with more magic and the badass knob cranked to 11.
    I did try Medieval 2 ages ago. It was an interesting game, though the Grand Strategy part...not so much. I mostly ran some skirmishes then lost the will to play or something came out. Funnily enough, I could've just ran with MTW 2 and installed the Rage of the Dark Gods if I was super cheap. But I don't know what to do with money, so I'm building collections on Steam. The problem is, I'm almost finished lol.
  • fanglofanglo Member UncommonPosts: 313
    I've been playing Dragonquest Builders 2 lately. I know it doesn't match any of the genre's or games you mentioned but it's pretty fun.
    GorweTiller

I healed Mistwraith and all I got was this stupid tee-shirt!

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 6,978
    Hegemony is a real good RTS game also if you have not tried it

• NycteliosNyctelios Member EpicPosts: 3,654
    Risking sound obvious...

Disco Elysium.

I'm playing Total War Warhammer 2, really cool but oh boy does it eat your entire day off.
    Steam ID Discord ID: Night # 6102 - GoG ID - 

"There is a fine line between consideration and hesitation. The former is wisdom, the latter is fear." Izaro Phrecius, Holy Emperor of the Eternal Empire, Last of Royal Phrecius Family.
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 3,057
    edited January 13
    Gorwe said:
    lahnmir said:

/Cheerz,
    Lahnmir

Well, since you really enjoy Sekiro and Nioh, as do I, it seems you are a fan of strategic and methodical action games, Monster Hunter World has that in spades. It is a pretty big challenge too with a nice learning curve and the need to truly master your weapon of choice, dodging, blocking, running and create/prepare the proper loadout.

Besides that it offers a ton of content, looks dropdead gorgeous and has amazing enemy design. It also has an RPG lite system where you increase stats through gear, slot buffs/effects and use elemental damage/resistances.

Tldr: I love Sekiro and Nioh too, I love Monster Hunter more.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...
  • VrikaVrika Member EpicPosts: 6,035
    Since you didn't specify any genre I'll recommend
     -Rimworld
     -Subnautica
     -Disco Elysium
     -Dragon Quest Builders 2

lahnmir said:
    Gorwe said:
    lahnmir said:

/Cheerz,
    Lahnmir

Well, since you really enjoy Sekiro and Nioh, as do I, it seems you are a fan of strategic and methodical action games, Monster Hunter World has that in spades. It is a pretty big challenge too with a nice learning curve and the need to truly master your weapon of choice, dodging, blocking, running and create/prepare the proper loadout.

Besides that it offers a ton of content, looks dropdead gorgeous and has amazing enemy design. It also has an RPG lite system where you increase stats through gear, slot buffs/effects and use elemental damage/resistances.

Tldr: I love Sekiro and Nioh too, I love Monster Hunter more.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

What about the story and customization elements? I liked Nioh and Sekiro because they offered a more direct and grounded story due to a well defined main character. As opposed to Souls which, in spite of rather inspired lore / world building, was "whatever"(felt good though). And I liked Nioh more because it was much more customizable. Oh and the Dragon's Dogma! Massive <3 for it. Even unfinished as it is.

And I'm not after challenge per se, merely very nice feelings these(Souls, Vermintide, Diabloids) give when you play them. What I call "kinesthetic gameplay".

(can you play MHW offline?)
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 6,401
    Find a Super Nintendo on e-bay and a Super Mario Cart Game cartridge. No way to play that with someone and not have tons of fun. 

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests