Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

5 MMOs That Were Gone Too Soon (And 3 That Should Have Been Gone Sooner) - MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited January 2020 in News & Features Discussion

image 5 MMOs That Were Gone Too Soon (And 3 That Should Have Been Gone Sooner) - MMORPG.com

MMORPG Gamers generally love the worlds they inhabit. Over the years we have seen some beloved games, with worlds that many players called home, vanish, and all that is left are the memories. We’ve compiled a short list of games that we wish were still around (in an official capacity) along with a few games that may have overstayed their welcome just a bit.

Read the full story here

Gdemami

Comments

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,947
    Hey an article I can actually agree with.

I better go play the lottery.
    dragonlee66MendelKyleranHJ-Navarregastovski1SailorMomnewbismxHatefullTuor7Deathtognomesand 9 others.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,820
    edited January 2020
    Disagree entirely on MHO. I loved that game. 

And you know what? The Omega update made the game better. People just don't like change. There, I said it.
    AlbatroesmaskedweaselSpriggen1337Tillermmoloumomintimcheebaturinmacleodgastovski1Hatefulland 4 others.
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited January 2020
    Unfortunately, Bless isn't "gone." At this point, this IP feels like a roach. You kill one and another pops up. The idea of the game isn't bad, Neowiz just can't properly execute it.
    dragonlee66momintimcheebameerclarValdheimillerBaemirwingood
  • GermaximusGermaximus Member UncommonPosts: 2
    I still miss Marvel Heroes. Will never forget it. That game was so great. Always wanted to play more of The Matrix.
    sschruppOzmodaniller
  • StevenWeberStevenWeber MMORPG.COM Staff UncommonPosts: 109
    edited January 2020
    Aeander said:

And you know what? The Omega update made the game better. People just don't like change. There, I said it.
    You're right, Omega made the game MUCH better. I loved the game as well, in fact, my YouTube channel is mostly old MHO videos. 

Omega was very shortlived though. It was kind of a slap in the face. 

Once Omega rolled out they proved that they could actually put out a good, and profitable game. (Though it was much more profitable due to loot boxes, but still). 

Part of me would have put this on the "gone too soon" side, but after thinking about it some, with the allegations (Of the new CEO) and knowing how Disney reacted with them pulling the Fantastic Four out, it would have been better that they just closed the game before putting console players through hell getting their money back after the closure. 

I, along with several of my friends put in hundreds of dollars unlocking characters and costumes, and there was a time when Sony refused to refund purchases. (Microsoft always allowed it). It took a few weeks to get Sony to agree to refund money, and it wasn't so much a refund as it was providing store credit to those affected.  It was a mess.
  • calibekcalibek Member UncommonPosts: 300
    edited January 2020
    Agree with Warhammer and CoH.

Warhammer Online is what actually got me interested in the lore of Warhammer and I LOVED how the classes were. The RvR was good too, probably some of the better PvP at that time. I think if it had another year in development it could have done A LOT better.

CoH really sated my superhero need. Every game on the market needs to look at it and it's character creation and costume creation because this game did that aspect beautifully. The power sets were good too. I prefer champion online mix and match set up for powers overall but CoH (and CoV) were great superhero games in a genre that was filled with fantasy and some sci-fi.

I played SWG before the CU and that was a wonderful game, especially for someone who wasn't a big Star Wars fan. While I prefer skill setup to how it is in UO, SWG did a great job at it. Just a shame CU and NGE ruined the game completely (Like Age of Shadows did for UO). My only regret is I did not play this game more. At the time I was big into Ultima Online but I played this game with friends when I took breaks from UO and I will say this one could have given UO a run for its money.

I know it isn't technically gone but I would put pre-AoS Ultima Online in there too. That game didn't feel like a game, it felt like an actual world to play in, which is what MMO's should do. One Age of Shadows hit though it turned it from the magic it had going for it into some Ultima/Diablo clone. It was a shame of what had happened to UO. I think if they ever opened a classic UO server I would jump on there in two seconds, graphics be damned.
    Blaze_RockerOzmodanwingood

• RellzRellz Member UncommonPosts: 46
    Gazillion aint have no problems with Marvel Heros Online until Disney brought out Marvel, Damn you Disney for taking away a great superhero game. Marvel was doing fine independly
    Blaze_RockerOzmodan
  • MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479
    Article fails without AC and AC2
    vandamage420Ozmodanangrund0nHarikenGameboyMarcMargrave
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Great article. Man, you guys ate your wheaties over the holidays. The writing is way better.

Warhammer sucked, however.
    maskedweaselMendelcheebaHatefullOzmodan

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• foxgirlfoxgirl Member RarePosts: 485
    I only disagree with Warhammer, as much as I liked the pvp, the game sucked.
    AmatheHatefullOzmodan
  • Spriggen1337Spriggen1337 Member UncommonPosts: 276
    This article clearly has delusional writers i suggest you go sober up!
    MHO was way better than alot of the games on this list and the writer has probs done this to get reactions out of people, either that or a shill for marvel future fight is coming!
    Blaze_RockerOzmodan
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,125
    edited January 2020

Aeander said:

I hated the fact that I couldn't zerg Deadpool across the map in seconds when MHO hit, and I gave up on trying to relearn how to play him after those changes. Other than that I was disappointed when they shut down, as it was a fun game to jump into for mindless clicking.
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,820
    edited January 2020
    Tiller said:

Aeander said:

I hated the fact that I couldn't zerg Deadpool across the map in seconds when MHO hit, and I gave up on trying to relearn how to play him after those changes. Other than that I was disappointed when they shut down, as it was a fun game to jump into for mindless clicking.
    Problem is, pre-Omega, literally everyone could zerg across the map in seconds by spamming dash ad nauseum. So those heroes who were supposed to be very mobile weren't special. 

Pre-Omega may as well have been called Marvel Heroes Pinball.
    maskedweasel
  • cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,703
    I can get on board with most of the article.

I would disagree with Warhammer. It did have many good things about it, like the class design and the deep combat mechanics. However, the entire game was ruined by absolutely terrible design decisions around the meta-game.

For example, WAR was based on rampant vertical progression. Each step up the gear ladder meant a massive jump in stats, creating vast power gaps that destroyed the PvP for most people (hence, the mass exodus of the game immediately after launch). I mean, why the hell would you create a PvP-focused game but then immediately unbalance it with shit progression?!?!? I played a black orc (tank), and I remember when I was about rank 50 facing off against a bright wizard who was rank 70+, and he had more armour than me! I was specced and equipped for tanking in PvP, yet this glass cannon had more armour! (and, still tons more dps).

The PvE was also garbage. Sure, public quests were new and vaguely interesting, but again, the meta-game meant any time you spent in PvE would be a disadvantage for you in PvP, so outside of tier 1, everyone avoided public quests, at least on my server. The depth experienced in PvP also mostly didn't exist in PvE because a lot of the depth came from crowd control. CC was nearly useless in PvE.

Also, one to add to the list: SWTOR - should have gone sooner. It's a garbage game, and it's not even an MMO.
    maskedweaselValdheimOzmodan
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,125
    As for SWG as much as I loved the game (it was the game that really got me hardcore into MMOs), at the time I was actually hoping they would just shut it down and put it out of it's misery.
    Ozmodansomeforumguy
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    MHO is my favorite ARPG of all time. Crazy.
    momintimsschruppOzmodanMargrave
  • DafAtRandomDafAtRandom Member UncommonPosts: 124
    Yes I would love to play Vanguard Saga of Heroes, luckily there is a private server emulator project out there..

Sadly, it has about 4 people online at the same time at any time, which makes a group heavy game a bit hard to enjoy.
    Valdheim
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• momintimmomintim Member UncommonPosts: 108

Aeander said:

Agreed. It was the only time I had fun playing Invisible Woman... sigh
  • SympoziumSympozium Member UncommonPosts: 1
    Erm.. what about WILDSTAR!?
    RnjypsyValdheimOzmodanMargrave
  • goozmaniagoozmania Member RarePosts: 394
    MHO was great on PS4. I was actually 1 or 2 trophies from completing the platinum when it closed down. That was pretty upsetting.
  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,173
    Sympozium said:
    Erm.. what about WILDSTAR!?
    I liked Wildstar, but I didn't play it for very long. My favorite thing about it was that it didn't take itself very seriously. It would have been cool if it stayed around a little longer.
    RnjypsyAlverantBlaze_RockerTacticalZombeh

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Good article.  I totally agree with the opinions expressed about Vanguard.  Solid ideas, new mechanisms, horrid implementation.  That "horrid implementation" part is/was one of my fears for Pantheon, but they seem to have backed away from the innovative ideas that Vanguard tried to tackle.

Matrix Online.  Never should have seen the light of day.  I've even got an unopened demo version of the game somewhere in this computer desk.  What I saw of the game didn't interest me at all.

Warhammer.  Loved it, loved the open world quests.  They were just a bit too static (and frequent) to be more meaningful.  Really, did we need to do the same quest in the same spots four times an hour?  Scarcity and variety would have improved the perceived value (and possibly participation) of these type of events.

maskedweaselTuor7ValdheimOzmodan

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    edited January 2020
    My list:

Gone too Soon

City of Heroes
    Original SWG (not that NGE shite)
    Everquest Next (shakes fist at Daybreak)

Should Have Gone Sooner

Warhammer
    Auto Assault
    Vanguard   [yeah, I will catch a beat down for that one, but I hated it]
    Wildstar

You still here?

Star Trek Online
    maskedweaselMendelKyleran

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047
    Rellz said:
    Gazillion aint have no problems with Marvel Heros Online until Disney brought out Marvel, Damn you Disney for taking away a great superhero game. Marvel was doing fine independly
    Huh?  Disney owned Marvel throughout the development of MHO.  Gazillion signed their Marvel agreement in March of 2009, Disney bought Marvel in August 2009.  
    maskedweasel