Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Who else is super hyped about this game?

Comments

• YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 2,636
    YashaX said:
    No longer hyped.
    However, the move to make pvp completely optional is also very weird. Its like someone who has no idea of how these games work is calling the shots - they have switched from one extreme to the other.

Both extremes are very hard to handle.
    PvP: High risk of asshole ruining the fun for everyone *insert surprised pickachu meme here*
    PvE: Too much work to feed the locusts for a longer time.

The most fun I had and where I played most is when there is politics ongoing, but also in a way that you can be involved as lone wolf.

This could be done they way they are doing it, if there are reasons to participate in the faction war. I dont know enough about it to judge.

I would have rather seen unrestricted PvP against other factions and with harsh penalties against same faction. (outlaw status which needs ridiculous time to remove or lots of good work)

And instead of full loot that your backpack is lootable (with may safes inside the backpack to store 4-6 very valuable things) and you also keep what you are wearing on your body.

You would have to mark this loot by the system so that if it gets deleted by your looter within 1-2 hours it returns to you, because thats also some part of griefing in full loot games.

So full PvP but with some restrictions to make PvP meaningful and not a feature to destroy others gaming experience

Yep, my thoughts exactly. I think ESO did a reasonable take on this in the Imperial City PvP zone, which is basically a zone where you farm for a certain resource but if you get killed by an enemy player (or mob) you lose some of the resource you have farmed and the player that killed you gets some of the resource.

bcbully
  • TwitchTaranissTwitchTaraniss Member UncommonPosts: 12
    I know a lot of changes have happened but I am extremely excited about this game. I also think the way it launches and the way it will look a year after launch can be vastly different.
    Twitch - https://www.twitch.tv/taraniss

Legends - Heroes fade..Legends last Forever
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member EpicPosts: 7,659
    Two things will keep me away from this game: PVP and Amazon
    Tokken
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 17,831
    edited July 1
    I know a lot of changes have happened but I am extremely excited about this game. I also think the way it launches and the way it will look a year after launch can be vastly different.
    I disagree.
    It will look vastly different within the guild towns but that will happen VERY quickly,imo within one month.
    Outside that confined space,the game imo is going to be very dull and often look fake/bad.Like right now from what i saw is the NODES standout from the rest of the world,they look FAKE.Sort of like putting a yellow marker over an npc head,it looks fake...bad.

I also see MANY flaws within the design that for the most part just favors SIZE.

This size matters might work financially ,it did for Eve but in reality it typically does NOT work and segregates the rest of the player base into a feeling of being not  important in the world.

There will be control choke points,large operations will control these.All of the small population will feel like they are just "hanging out".

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• remsleepremsleep Member RarePosts: 806

Whenever I hear someone say - how a year from launch the game could be much better - can we just call it what it is?

It's simply an excuse for a broken unfinished game at launch - why would anyone be extremely excited for that?

So lets do this - nobody buy it at launch - lets all jump in a year after when they've had time to actually make it good, how about that?

Amazon's track record so far has been bad enough to raise major red flags for everyone

Breakaway - touted as a huge thing, even the reveal had paid e-sports teams and announcers trying to make it into something huge - was a laughable disaster of an event  - game got cancelled

New World - was sold and touted as open world PvP - was developed as open world PvP game for years, then BOOM - umm guys just kidding - we are now a PvE game. Do you know how hard it is to do a 180 mid development and just change everything into PvE game? Yeah - it's messed up

Crucible - hey guys - we gonna do a competitive shooter - woops it sucks - hey lets pretended we never launched and pull it back into beta...

Is this the company that anyone should be excited about releasing a new game - that still has an NDA so close to launch? 

Sorry - but come on - nothing but a field of red flags 
    TokkenYashaX
    remsleep said:

Whenever I hear someone say - how a year from launch the game could be much better - can we just call it what it is?

It's simply an excuse for a broken unfinished game at launch - why would anyone be extremely excited for that?

So lets do this - nobody buy it at launch - lets all jump in a year after when they've had time to actually make it good, how about that?

Amazon's track record so far has been bad enough to raise major red flags for everyone

Breakaway - touted as a huge thing, even the reveal had paid e-sports teams and announcers trying to make it into something huge - was a laughable disaster of an event  - game got cancelled

New World - was sold and touted as open world PvP - was developed as open world PvP game for years, then BOOM - umm guys just kidding - we are now a PvE game. Do you know how hard it is to do a 180 mid development and just change everything into PvE game? Yeah - it's messed up

Crucible - hey guys - we gonna do a competitive shooter - woops it sucks - hey lets pretended we never launched and pull it back into beta...

Is this the company that anyone should be excited about releasing a new game - that still has an NDA so close to launch? 

At no point did I say it would be better in a year. Most games after a year are very different then when they launched. This has nothing to do with better or worse. There will always be people who just want to have a negative attitude towards things. many games are worse in a year while some are better. The point is with most games it doesn't matter how long it was in alpha or beta or testing. Once it goes live new ideas arise and new issues as well. Changes comes to not allow it to become stale and the majority of those changes are in that first year. 

bigmilk

remsleep said:

At no point did I say it would be better in a year. Most games after a year are very different then when they launched. This has nothing to do with better or worse. There will always be people who just want to have a negative attitude towards things. many games are worse in a year while some are better. The point is with most games it doesn't matter how long it was in alpha or beta or testing. Once it goes live new ideas arise and new issues as well. Changes comes to not allow it to become stale and the majority of those changes are in that first year. 

Many games are worse in a year post launch, really? - while this happens occasionally - this is far from the norm.

Most games improve, add content and stabilize post launch and get better - this is normal and expected especially with mmorpgs. 

It doesn't matter for most games how long a game is in alpha or beta testing... like are you serious? Of course it matters, especially for MMOs and mmorpgs- if this really didn't matter - then there would be no point in alpha and beta testing at all

New World - considering that the current launch date is Aug 25th - is simply not even remotely ready - for a PvE focused MMO. 

bigmilk
    remsleep said:
    remsleep said:

Many games are worse in a year post launch, really? - while this happens occasionally - this is far from the norm.

Most games improve, add content and stabilize post launch and get better - this is normal and expected especially with mmorpgs. 

It doesn't matter for most games how long a game is in alpha or beta testing... like are you serious? Of course it matters, especially for MMOs and mmorpgs- if this really didn't matter - then there would be no point in alpha and beta testing at all

New World - considering that the current launch date is Aug 25th - is simply not even remotely ready - for a PvE focused MMO. 

Sorry I highly disagree. Most games die out within that first year. The numbers spike and playability is early. Especially with some of these smaller games and companies that can't keep up with the market and then end up going pay2 win. It is not far from the norm at all. Sorry it just isn't. 

It matters to an extent but most of the time if we are talking about the gameplay aspects. They change again in that first year. It has happened with numerous games/MMOS especially recently. 

We are aware of your opinion of it not being remotely ready. Unfortunately for you by repeating it over and over again it isn't changing anything. I have no control over that what so ever. From the sound of it we will not be seeing you in Aeternum. So you won't have to worry nor care about what the state of the game is in after 1 hour let alone 1 year.
    bigmilk

• Jean-Luc_PicardJean-Luc_Picard Member LegendaryPosts: 8,296
    edited July 2
    There are other way more suspicious elements about @remsleep that makes me take everything he says about this game with a HUGE grain of salt.

Beside his post history making me suspect he's the alt account of someone else who recently disappeared from these forums, there is:

- He never really goes into deep arguments against the game. All he does is bash the game based on some videos and old rumors, along with many assumptions.
    - Several people who are in the alpha basically say the opposite of many things he is pretending about this game.

From my very long experience with these forums (been around since 2004 here, along with other MMO sites and forums), I know for sure that during a beta under NDA like this one, both total fanbois and total haters are unreliable sources of information. I wouldn't waste too much time reading that kind of posts, we will know soon enough anyway, and then we will know for sure.
    YashaXTokken
    "The ability to speak doesn't make you intelligent" - Qui-gon Jinn in Star Wars.
    After many years of reading Internet forums, there's no doubt that nor does the ability to write.
    CPU: Intel Core I7 9700k (4.90ghz) - GPU: ASUS Dual GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER EVO 8GB DDR6 - RAM: 32GB Kingston HyperX Predator DDR4 3000 - Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra - PSU: Antec TruePower New 750W - Storage: Kingston KC1000 NVMe 960gb SSD and 2x1TB WD Velociraptor HDDs (Raid 0) - Main display: Samsung U32J590 32" 4K monitor - Second display: Philips 273v 27" monitor - VR: Pimax 8K headset - Sound: Sony STR-DH550 AV Receiver HDMI linked with the GPU and the TV, with Jamo S 426 HS 3 5.0 speakers and Pioneer S-21W subwoofer - OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bits.

After seeing a recent gameplay video and reading more about how players can actively shape the power balance in the game through both pve and pvp activities, I can say that yes I am looking forward to it.

I'm not like over the moon, this is gonna be the best thing since sliced bread kind of hyped, but at the least it looks like an enjoyable diversion that holds the promise of being something really special.
    Jean-Luc_Picard
    edited July 2
    I am curious how PLAYERS are going to shape the balance?

I know an entire guild can shape the balance but i do not see individual players as having any meaning at all but maybe i am missing something?

I am more than happy for someone to educate me on something that shows promise because so far i don't see it,instead i see this as a sort of an Eve online rpg style.

Having a GOAL to work towards  really only happens if you join a guild or however the terminology is structured.Your group/guild whatever work towards building structures within and you'll need a lot of players because in reality ,it will be a RACE.

I actually detest any design that encourages more RACING in games,i want gaming to be an enjoyable casual ride.It is a huge flaw to design a RACING game because in a very short time the goals are met and then it becomes a very shallow END GAME scenario.

You are going to see large towns with FULL...finished structures within one month already.So then what do all the optimists think becomes of the game after that short racing phase?Pvp 24/7?

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Wizardry said:

I know an entire guild can shape the balance but i do not see individual players as having any meaning at all but maybe i am missing something?

A guild is made up of individual players and the whole game is based around guilds. However, from what I have read, even if you are not in a guild, you build the strength of your faction by doing pve and pvp quests.

Obviously one individual player is unlikely to have much of an impact, but just by playing the game you contribute to world change, which is different to most other mmos which have completely static worlds.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 14,394
    YashaX said:
    Wizardry said:

A guild is made up of individual players and the whole game is based around guilds. However, from what I have read, even if you are not in a guild, you build the strength of your faction by doing pve and pvp quests.

Obviously one individual player is unlikely to have much of an impact, but just by playing the game you contribute to world change, which is different to most other mmos which have completely static worlds.
    What does "strength of your faction" do for you and others of that faction?
    “Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

"... the "influencers" which is the tech name we call sell outs now..."
    __ Wizardry, 2020
    Iselin said:
    YashaX said:
    Wizardry said:

I don't know the details yet, but the new world site says:

As your Faction controls more Territories, your attacks against the creatures of Aeternum will be more effective, you will find higher quantities of resources when gathering, craft equipment at higher base qualities, and find yourself luckier when looting. The more Territories your faction controls, the more powerful you become.

So basically percentage bonuses to damage and gathering skills? I think eso used to have something similar when it started out.
    tzervo
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 14,394
    YashaX said:
    Iselin said:
    YashaX said:
    Wizardry said:

As your Faction controls more Territories, your attacks against the creatures of Aeternum will be more effective, you will find higher quantities of resources when gathering, craft equipment at higher base qualities, and find yourself luckier when looting. The more Territories your faction controls, the more powerful you become.

So basically percentage bonuses to damage and gathering skills? I think eso used to have something similar when it started out.
    Yeah ESO had those at launch and for a while afterward depending on the current status of your PvP campaign but they got rid of them for PvE activities and the bonuses just applied to Cyrodiil itself.
    “Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

"... the "influencers" which is the tech name we call sell outs now..."
    __ Wizardry, 2020
  • RhoklawRhoklaw Member EpicPosts: 7,124
    For me, the thing is, I don't care if other people love or hate a game. I will always buy / play a game that interests me, because ultimately I am the one who knows what I enjoy. Of course I will listen to what people have to say, but unless their fanboism or hatred has some actual deep rooted reasons, I simply don't care. Most people complaining about NW are PvP players and I can tell you, I rarely see eye to eye with any PvP players. That is why I haven't canceled my pre order. Even if the game becomes boring after a month, still don't care as it's B2P, no subscription. It's not like the alternatives out there offer anything better.

I recently went back to BDO only to realize people are so bored in that game that griefing has come back with style. In fact, just a couple days ago, someone killed me 9 times in less than 2 hours while I was leveling up horses. Yes folks, that is a sign of complete breakdown of game excitement. When you are so bored that killing random people multiple times, which gains you nothing by the way, just because.

So I say, bring on New World because it certainly can't be any worse than the garbage already available.
    SovrathJean-Luc_Picard

Rhoklaw said:
    For me, the thing is, I don't care if other people love or hate a game. I will always buy / play a game that interests me, because ultimately I am the one who knows what I enjoy. Of course I will listen to what people have to say, but unless their fanboism or hatred has some actual deep rooted reasons, I simply don't care. Most people complaining about NW are PvP players and I can tell you, I rarely see eye to eye with any PvP players. That is why I haven't canceled my pre order. Even if the game becomes boring after a month, still don't care as it's B2P, no subscription. It's not like the alternatives out there offer anything better.

I recently went back to BDO only to realize people are so bored in that game that griefing has come back with style. In fact, just a couple days ago, someone killed me 9 times in less than 2 hours while I was leveling up horses. Yes folks, that is a sign of complete breakdown of game excitement. When you are so bored that killing random people multiple times, which gains you nothing by the way, just because.

So I say, bring on New World because it certainly can't be any worse than the garbage already available.
    ^^^ This exactly.

What interests me might not be what interests someone else. I for one have spent more money on things imo that were far worse or I just wasted it looking back. If the game fizzles out for me in a month as well I will still not consider it a waste of money if I got a month worth of entertainment. 
    RhoklawSovrathYashaXJean-Luc_Picard

Rhoklaw said:

Um.... sorry about that :)
  • TiamatRoarTiamatRoar Member RarePosts: 1,586
    YashaX said:
    Iselin said:
    YashaX said:
    Wizardry said:

So it doesn't change the world at all.  It just affects the buff that everyone gets (more for those in your faction, less for those in other factions assuming its' a competitive thing)

That's kinda lame, IMHO.
    So it doesn't change the world at all.  It just affects the buff that everyone gets (more for those in your faction, less for those in other factions assuming its' a competitive thing)

That's kinda lame, IMHO.

Of course it's kind of lame - it's the same old shit we've seen in other games. 

New World is not a revolutionary game that breaks new ground and bring new concepts and gameplay mechanics - it is a rehash of all the previous stuff we've seen and played over the last 20 years.

Might be called "New world" - but it's the same old gameplay
    YashaX said:
    Iselin said:
    YashaX said:
    Wizardry said:

That's kinda lame, IMHO.
    Like I said, I don't know all the details, but there does seem to be more than just % bonuses. For example the owners of the forts change hands, which could potentially have flow on effects. 

What type of world change would you consider to be interesting?
  • TiamatRoarTiamatRoar Member RarePosts: 1,586
    YashaX said:

That's kinda lame, IMHO.
    Like I said, I don't know all the details, but there does seem to be more than just % bonuses. For example the owners of the forts change hands, which could potentially have flow on effects. 

What type of world change would you consider to be interesting?
    Well, the original context was "just by playing the game you contribute to world change, which is different to most other mmos which have completely static worlds."

So I guess... anything that's more than just a token change in a programming flag like "Who owns this fort"

Does owning the fort let one change the trade routes?  Does it change the landscape?  The mobs? The loot?  The natural resources available there? Do they get to decorate the fort?  Does the fort have a greater effect on the WORLD where the lore and politics going on in the storyline change based on who has the fort?

And that's just basic stuff.  Basically, anything above and beyond "Oh, NEWBANGERS own this fort" and "NEWBANGERS and associated allies now get +3% bonus to their harvesting skills"
  • RelampagoRelampago Member UncommonPosts: 392
    I have access to several betas including Crowfall and CU.  I find myself playing neverwinter right now.  Don't get me wrong I am excited about this game and it will be fun to play with former UO, DAOC, and Shadowbane guildies but...
    edited July 4
    All i can suggest is watch  the IGN video from March and THEN watch the newer June one.
    The one from June seems like a bunch of shills and fake smiles and well BS.One thing i got from both videos is people are trying to hype up a combat that is factually NO DIFFERENT than for example playing Atlas or any other survival game.

They seem to be attempting to compare TNW combat versus mmorpg's which of course has ZERO bearing because this is NOT a mmorpg.The combat is NOT improving anything at all.

So there will be early game quests and again the second video tries to basically hype everything up but the first tells it more real>>boring pointless quests that are mostly lots of running around.

Anyone is free to argue but what i see is a game that is NOT geared towards PVE'rs whatsoever past the first 1-3 days.
    The game EXACTLY like Atlas will be gather a large guild control an area and thereby controlling the resources and the tax rates,EXACTLY like Atlas so nothing new here.

So how is this game separating itself from the pack "truthfully" and not in a way like the shills try to hype it up?The early training mode quests,the world is more empty than say Atlas's open world "not a good thing" and the main focus is the 50-50 sieges.

So imo since the first few days don't really make a game,it is a lesser game than Atlas in overall design but trades away the ships/water for the 50-50 sieges.Does this make it a worthwhile game to play,well unless i see more...nope.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member EpicPosts: 8,537
    edited July 4
    It's simply put, this is a rushed product that made big promises and has little to show for it. NW videos have dropped again and again showing off their PvP and its content that people will have to fight over to just be a part of and it only happens once a week for 50 gamers. Why is this the focus of showing off the game? From the leaks it seems that's not even playing well. Amazon has no reason for doing this. This is one company that could have launched an MMO right. Why rush it?